Dontnod’s Vampyr rises on June 5

Dontnod’s vampiric action-RPG Vampyr will launch on June 5th, publishers Focus Home announced today. Vampyr whisk us back to a flu-ridden London in 1918 as a newly-vampirated doctor to do murders, drink blood, and shape the future of the city as we wrestle with moral dilemmas. While Dontnod are best known for Life Is Strange, it’s probably more helpful here to remember they’re studio behind Remember Me, the 2013 sci-fi action-adventure game. Expect drinking from hearts more than heart-to-hearts; more rending than befriending; less spunk than spookies. Though god knows vampires (sorry, vampyrs) can moan and brood more than even the most troubled of teens.

Today’s release date announcement comes from the final part of a dev video doodad series. We’ve not posted any of them before because ah, there’s loads of ’em, we didn’t even know when the game was coming, and I’d rather have seen a big hunk of straight gameplay. Now the series is ended and we have a date, go on, let’s blast the lot and you can see everything in one go:

Vampyr is coming to Steam on June 5th, priced at £45/€50/$50. “I thought it was due in spring?” you might titter, thinking Focus are cloaking a delay. Buddy, on this site we follow the astronomical calendar, where spring runs until June 21st.

Our Adam is currently at the event in Paris where Focus Home announced this date (along with things including The Surge 2 and Chernobyl-y battle royale ’em up Fear The Wolves), so I’m sure he’ll return with more to tell us about the game.

1. Buuurr says:

So… looks like a straight rip of Vampire: The Masquerade. Are they the same folks or do they have license for this? The similarities are glaring.

• welverin says:

No connection.

• Captain Narol says:

I’ve heard that some of the guys who made V:TM are currently reuniting at Paradox, which happens to owns the right to the World of Darkness !

Pure coïncidence or is something brewing ?

• instantcoffe says:

That… that would be phenomenal…

• dontnormally says:

If Paradox didn’t make a new V:TM followup it would be an absolute travesty.

• JefBoy says:

What if it is? Would that be such a bad thing? I would love to see a new Vampire: The Masquerade game.

• Captain Narol says:

Well, even in the case where we would finally learn that they are just working together on a WoD DLC for CKII or EUIV with vampires and other dark gothic things, that would be cool already !

But yeah, the other speculative possibility that you talk about would be a dream come true for many people…

Ninja Dodo says:

I like Bloodlines as much as the next person but you’re acting like White Wolf invented vampires.

2. KingFunk says:

I can’t help but feel that the given price point might hurt their sales since Dontnod aren’t known as (and aren’t) a AAA action studio – presumably it was mandated by Focus. Perhaps they’re hoping that the success of Life Is Strange will boost sales, but as Alice subtly suggests, the games couldn’t be a whole heap more different…

3. int says:

*Nods*

4. Mister eX says:

Off, but I kinda’ sorta’ sad to see “I’m a bad person” changed to “continue ad-blocking” on the thingy that comes up if I use ad-blocker.
    At home, I have a restricted connection after I’ve used up my monthly quota. So if I hadn’t used ABP, I would reach the end of said quota faster. And with the restricted speed it’s already a crawl just browsing, not to mention if sites would be busy loading their – often animated and interactive these days – ads before their content…
    Anyway, I thought that “I’m a bad person” prompt was funny, and in line with the style of the site. I liked clicking on it. :D
    I’m a “good person” in the office I work at tho’. :D

On: I love LiS, therefore I love Dontnod, therefore I’m waiting for this with bated breath.

• wackazoa says:

So what your saying is that you like to be a “bad person”? Have a seat Mister eX, and we’ll begin. Please tell me about your mother…..

• Mister eX says:

I guess it has more to do with my father… Everything’s wonderful with my mother – we have your regular Norma & Norman Bates type of relationship…

Ninja Dodo says:

This is looking and sounding rather fancy.

6. HiroTheProtagonist says:

Cautiously excited, though I had similar feelings when DARK was announced, and I can’t shake the feeling that we’re in for another “next VtMB” hype train crash.

• April March says:

Let’s be cautiously excited together! I think this game is going to be crap, but imagine how great it’ll be if it’s not!

7. wackazoa says:

“newly-vampirated”

Thanks Alice! Now all I can think about is a game about vampire pirates! They could call it… *puts on glasses* Vam-Pirate: The Game