What are we all playing this weekend?

Big wheel keep on turning.

Proud Mary keep on burning.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m playing Civ VI: Rise and Fall. The early era is probably the least changed, so I’ll have to report back on my findings early next week when I’ve been able to journey through the ages with my Netherlands. I hope to do more rising than falling.
Alec: Oh, probably it’ll be more Slay The Spire, but on the other hand I just beat the Time Eater using only 5x Caltrop cards and a bunch of Block ones, so I’m not really sure where to go from there. Might check out Wartile, if I can stop recoiling from the fact it has ‘wart’ in its name.
Alice: I’m on staycation next week and, seeing as this desk is my workplace, I think I’ll likely not play anything on PC. I think it’s time to revisit Bloodborne on our Netflix machine. When we first moved to Edinburgh, Bloodborne’s city of Yharnam merged in my mind with Edinburgh’s underroads, vennels, and dark stone chambers, so for a while I had nightmares about being trapped in a terrible undercity. Ideal holiday material, obvs. I fancy some serious smashing with the Kirkhammer.
Brendan: I might keep sticking it to the clanky, evil empire in Final Fantasy XII, expansionist pig dogs that they are. But it’s more likely I’ll simply continue my quest to beat Slay the Spire with the Silent character, now that the developers have updated it to show you which boss you’ll be fighting on each floor. How do I keep failing this? I have SO MUCH POISON.
Graham: I’m jump-dash-dying my way through Celeste on Nintendo Switch and enjoying every moment of the game. I don’t have a pro controller and I’m not enjoying the Switch’s analogue thumbstick at all, though. It frequently registers diagonal movement when I’m trying to push horizontally, and vice versa, and in a game of precision platforming this means I spend a lot of my time launching directly into spikes.
John: This weekend I’m off on a little holiday to the seaside. Nothing calls me to our British shores like sub-zero temperatures and incessant drizzly rain. So all but no games shall be played, beyond those that live inside my electronic telephone. But I promise to throw some pebbles at some sea for you.
Katharine: I only found out about A Case of Distrust very late on Thursday evening, but when a game describes itself as “a blend of the board game Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, the adventure games 80 Days and Phoenix Wright, the poster design of Saul Bass, and the hard-boiled novels of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler,” it requires immediate attention.
Matt: I’ll be playing board games, mostly. There’s a fortnightly group I go to that meets on Friday, and a monthly one that’s organised a whole day of cardboard-based fun for Saturday. I’ve got plans to play Five Tribes and Azul, two excellent and weird point scoring puzzlers that are hard to describe in a sentence or two.

I’ll also be getting shot, stabbed and starved an awful lot in Rust.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Vacuity729 says:

I want to check out Arcen’s expansion for Starward Rogue sometime this weekend, but it probably won’t be for the whole weekend. I’m also somehow terribly tempted to go back and play some Dawn of War, either Dark Crusade or Soulstorm. I used to be pretty good at MP back in the day, but I think I’d probably be better off playing some skirmishes against the AI or something to remember some of the build orders and so forth.

2. EgoMaster says:

I’ll be wrapping up my Magic Carpet playthrough. 75 levels, full of glitches and a lot of “f*** you”s from level designers. And although it gets old after playing this long, the “I’m getting stronger” feeling it has is quite addictive.

You start each level as a lowly wizard. The world is dangerous, and in later levels rival wizards are intent on ripping you a new one. But as you level up your castle and gain access to deadlier spells, you become a force of nature. The wyvern in the level become hardly a threat. You lay waste to other wizards’ castle apart with a single pass of “lightning storm” spell and steal their mana without an effort with three balloons that your level 7 castle produces. It’s nice, but 75 levels is a bit too much for a single formula. I hear the second one has different objectives and is a lot shorter, with only 25 levels. I’ll see what it has to offer. This is an innovative and a really good game but it’s a bit buggy and overdone (both in terms of difficulty and length).

particlese says:

I now forget if it was the first or second game I played, but some of those rival wizards were maddening! Had lots of fun up to whatever point I gave up at, though – really neat game.

• EgoMaster says:

It should be the first one. And not the main game, but its expansion, The Hidden Worlds. Rival wizards start with their stats maxed and every spell in the game possessed. You create a castle, it takes 5 seconds for a few of them to bring it down with a meteor or volcano spell. The only tactic you can use is dropping you castle on top of monsters, killing them in the process, harvesting their mana and upgrade, hoping it will be enough for higher level spells to become available and bring the war to them. It’s tough, but it works.

basilisk says:

Yes, the sequel is surprisingly short, and like the original includes a few gimmicky levels that are over rather quickly. I feel it’s better overall, but the constant darkness everywhere does get quite annoying.

And “It’s nice, but 75 levels is a bit too much for a single formula” is a universal problem with almost all of the Bullfrog games, to be honest.

I’m still patiently waiting for someone to finally make a spiritual sequel. The core design of Magic Carpet is still brilliant and it could be great fun in multiplayer, too. I honestly can’t believe it’s taking so long for someone to steal these ideas.

• EgoMaster says:

I agree with you on core design being brilliant. The game still feels surprisingly fresh. Unbelievably, even the graphics hold up. It just overstays its welcome. I have higher hopes for the sequel. As for the spiritual sequel, there’s a game called Arcane Worlds in Early Access but according to comments, it’s a bit “empty” right now.

basilisk says:

Yes, the graphics still look okay, but the draw distance is ridiculously short.

And I’m aware of Arcane Worlds, but the progress on it is glacial. I looked it up; the guy has been working on it since 2011 and there still isn’t basically anything to do in it.

3. Kefren says:

Coming to the end of Legend of Grimrock 2 (after two frustrated uninstalls followed by reinstalls and starting new games!) I have had to look things up a few times since some of the puzzles are quite obscure, but solving nearly all of them is necessary to complete the game. It is fun getting your party powered up until enemies that used to be incredibly dangerous can be dispatched efficiently. (Apart from bloody air elementals – I still have no way of harming them.) Each new dungeon is a joy to explore, and I love the controls and little touches like the day/night cycle. Also the way enemies have unexpected and subtly-different behaviours (right up to the Leprechaun who can run around triggering traps, locking or unlocking doors, and releasing monsters). It requires more brainpower and thinking than Grimrock 1, which is both a good and a bad thing. I wish the devs could remake Hired Guns (keep the levels and music, just revamp the graphics and UI slightly).

particlese says:

Bit of a variety pack this weekend. Already played We Need to Go Deeper, Guns of Icarus Online, Thoth, Devil Daggers, Dead Cells, Race the Sun; will probably play Thumper, Echo, some VR thing or another; will definitely be playing Lawbreakers since we have another community night planned for this evening and the last one went really well. Also putting new tubes & treads on ye olde velocipede so I can ride to work and stuff in a healthy and free manner once again.

• GibletHead2000 says:

I’ve been let my friend’s Oculus Rift for a couple of weeks while he finishes his OU assignments that he’s behind on. So far I’ve been rekindling my love for Elite, and I’ve had a look at Project Cars 2 – the VR on the latter is incredible.

I’m looking for recommendations for must-plays though, before I give it back.

• Vandelay says:

Superhot VR is an absolute must. I also hear that Lone Echo is amazing, although not played it myself.

For non-gaming VR, I can also recommend Pearl and Dear Angelica as both beautiful short films. Also, if you can put up with their music, there is a great use of the tech for a U2 video.

I will likely be trying to play Subnautica in VR of this weekend, which has been great from the little bit I’ve played.

• GibletHead2000 says:

Thanks! I’ve been looking at Superhot – I’ll give it a try.

particlese says:

Yes, if there’s one VR game everyone should try, I’d say that’s Superhot VR. I also really like To The Top, which *can be* hard on fear-of-heights nerves but seems to be easy on the stomach. I can’t personally vouch for Subnautica yet, but it looks like it’ll be phenomenal.

Abode is a good room escape game, and I’ve read Alcatraz is, too. Serious Sam: The Last Hope is good, stupid, shooting gallery fun. Surge is a really cool little (couple of minutes) VR music video which has been around since the Rift DK2 days, if I’m not mistaken, and is free. Firebird: La Péri is a semi-interactive play/ballet/classicalMusicVideo which runs under an hour and has John Rhys-Davies doing the narration. The Gallery is two episodes into its highly interactive adventures… There are more I like, but those spring to mind as some of the best I’ve played.

Thanks for the short film recommendations, Vandelay – I’ll have to check those out.

particlese says:

(Also kinda took a variety approach to that selection in case something off the beaten path strikes your fancy.)

Mungrul says:

If you’ve got some VR equipped friends, I highly recommend Rec Room. And it’s free!

particlese says:

Oh, I’d forgotten about Rec Room. I remember reading it was good, but I somehow never actually tried it. Thanks!

• fish99 says:

Make sure you have a look at Google Earth VR.

5. Ejia says:

I’m finally sinking my teeth into Endless Legend. There’s a bit more stuff to fiddle with compared to, say, Endless Space and Civ V, and it makes the pace seem a lot slower than either.

6. Spacewalk says:

Nobody got fired this week, what’s up with that?

I might be giving Cortex Command another go after so many years but I can’t make any promises. If that falls through there’s always Carmageddon 2 to suffer through since I never managed to suffer through the whole game yet just part of it.

7. Faldrath says:

What do you know, I’m also trying to slay the spire with the Silent. I usually go for poison, but yesterday I went for daggers and almost managed it, until that inevitable moment where you fail to draw block cards for two hands in a roll in the third act. The hardest lesson to learn is to keep your deck slim, really.

Other than that I’m progressing in my Dark Souls 2 run, a game I never finished (just killed Iron King now). Coming back to it after a lot of DS3, it’s amusing how easy the bosses usually are, and how hard the non-boss enemies usually are. I guess DS2 could be a much better game if (1) it had about 50% less enemies; (2) if enemies actually leashed after running past them (they almost never do); (3) if they got rid of that incredibly annoying tracking that means it’s very hard to avoid some attacks by rolling.

I also bought Okami since it’s discounted on Steam. Very curious about it.

• Vandelay says:

I have some Dark Souls 2 to go back to, as I finished the main game but never the DLC. So, I’ve been playing it on and off for the last month or so.

I left it a few days ago in frustration after dozens attempts going through the Frigid Outskirts. I’ve killed enough ice reindeer that I can now run through the area without any spawning (as long as I take a direct path to the boss), but it is still incredibly tedious. The boss fight also seems almost impossible as I have a Giant Club that has a risk of breaking after a couple of hits by the second big cat or a Dark Scythe that doesn’t do much damage to them, practically nothing when the second cat starts healing.

I think when I go back I’ll be leaving the area and do something else, as I’m really fed up of staring at a white screen for 5 minutes in between attempts at the boss.

On the whole though, I agree with you; bosses are fairly easy, whilst normal enemies can be really nasty. I don’t think Dark Souls 2 is a bad game, far from it, but it definitely didn’t feel as polished or as balanced as the first or the third.

• wcq says:

Frigid Outskirts has the dubious honor of being the single area in a Soulsborne game that I couldn’t be bothered to beat solo. Reindeer Hell and 2cat were just enough of a bullshit sandwich that I didn’t even feel bad about summoning NPCs, even though I usually feel like a bit of a cheater if I do that.

8. BlackeyeVuk says:

Mostly Stellaris , Red Faction Guerilla(yes because of you RPSG) , Mount and Blade mod Prophecy of Pendor and Anno 1404. Thats about it.

• Vacuity729 says:

You’re playing Stellaris now? I kinda assumed everyone was like me at this point; waiting for the new expansion (and the awesome patch) to be released in a couple of weeks.

• BlackeyeVuk says:

Well its gonna be big change soon enough. And I don’t want to join bandwagon. Instead, I’ll get my fill with Stellaris now, so I can peacefully wait for proper bugfixes patches etc. , later when Armageddon is released.

And I do wonder if this new thing will increase micromanagement. Im not very keen on it to be honest.

• Rindan says:

Really? What feature do you think is going to increase micromanagement? I thought it was kind of under the impression that it was the opposite and that they were adding some stuff to reduce micromanagement.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m with you. I hate the micromanagement in Stellars. The tile based planetary improvements system is the worst idea ever. It just makes it so that the AI can’t manage it, you can’t easily automate it, and there is just nothing fun about deciding how to min/max a particular planet.

• Carra says:

Anno 1404 = best anno. I’m glad to see they go back in time for the next installment, the future ones just aren’t as fun.

9. Blowfeld81 says:

I want to “play” some DBFighterZ, which means I will click buttons on my gamepad in some training room, as I have to learn fighting games from zero and am basically rubbish at it.

After giving up my dream of ever understanding and applying basic concepts in fighting games (after appr. 45 minutes) I will shift to some “My time at portia” for SP relaxation. Or “Rainbow Six Siege” with a friend, where I can show that I am only slightly more competent in shooters, floating through bronze like a chubby drunk boxer in a lightweight fight.

Might try the alpha for “The Hunt: Showdown”, depending if my friend who is also in the beta gets it running and if I have a good red wine available.

Else it will be booking hotels and planning the next business trips- at least I do not need to play any tycoon sims.

10. lglethal says:

Katherine please give us a review of “A Case of Distrust” that sounds like an awesome game. I love me some Dashiel Hammett and Raymond Chandler!

Otherwise I will be playing a little Xcom 2, a little Endless Space 2 and a little Shadowrun Dragonfall. When my son allows… ;)

11. Agnosticus says:

I’m ~30h in on They are Billions, love it so far. People crying about it being too simplistic and random probably haven’t given the game enough time. Great mix between RTS and tower defense!

Also some Rocket League, as always, got to Champ I last season, reaching out for GC ;) also ever aiming for hoops emperorship!

Little R6:Siege on the side. Looking forward to the outbreak missions!

12. Parrilla says:

Mainly Civ VI: Rise and Fall. Pretty good first impressions but not feeling it that much because I really want to be playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

13. mike69 says:

I played The Norwood Suite yesterday. Loved it so much I immediately played it’s predecessor Off-Peak. Now I need more! Surreal walking adventure games, as close to that as possible please, I will devour them all!

p.s. I like that we have to prove our humanity by performing a task that we’re often bad at and computers are literally designed to do 😂

Grizzly says:

Adam, when you’re playing as the Netherlands you may want there to be more falling then rising. The sea level, that is.

Personally I’ve suddenly become addicted to city management games and I’ve been playing the hell out of Cities: Skylines with the Natural Disasters and Snowfall expansions (As those came with the “Starter pack” they offered). It’s rad.

15. H. Vetinari says:

doing a full Mass effect Trilogy play-through since I’ve never played any of the Mass Effect games (shame, shame, shame…).
    that will keep me busy for a while. took a Vanguard class because it feels like clay pigeon shooting: throw enemies into air and shoot them with shotgun. also it looks dope af.

• Blowfeld81 says:

Hope you will enjoy it. The first title is quite dated on the technical and mechanical side now, but still great story wise. The second game is were the trilogy shines and the third is still a great title, if you are not looking for a superb ending. Just enjoy the ride. It is well worth it. Wish I could forget all about these 3 games and play them again. Little jealous here ;)

• SaintAn says:

The second, third, and 4th are horrible story wise, shallow mechanic wise, and not worth playing. They really go full EA after the first. The first game is a masterpiece and still holds up well. I recommend just playing it and not touching the sequels so you are left with an masterful story and the incredible potential of what could have been, rather than the disappointing reality.

• Mister eX says:

Oh man, you’re in for a ride! :)
      I went through the trilogy in a couple of months in late 2015, when I got a pc capable of running them (before I couldn’t even run the first one). Then after a year, I completed the run again, starting at the end of ’16 and finishing in ’17, so I guess it’s about time for a new run. :D I’m just giving it a bit more time before each playthrough, and so far, it works. :) But as I’ve learned with the KoTORs, there comes a point (# of playthroughs) where I remember almost everything, no matter how much time have passed… :-|

• Crusoe says:

Blowfelds comment nails it.

Just play and don’t read the weird hysteria surrounding the games until… well, ever.

• Seyda Neen says:

Have fun! All three games are great. Are you doing BroShep or FemShep?

• H. Vetinari says:

Just finished the Citadel so this is Spectre Shepard talking and I will have my badassery recognised! :-)

it took a while since I’m one of those “click on everything and everyone and check all the nook and crannies” people. So far it’s been really nice, needed quite some time to get used to the controls (granted I was always shit when it came to shooters, but they still feel clunky).

@Seyda Neen:
      I’m a Vanguard BroShep. For my first mission I’ll go after that nerd daughter (because it’s seems not to be a direct conflict with the geth) and will be taking Garrus with me (he looks like a cool guy to have around). Since I’m warr/bio and Garrus is warr/tech, I will be trying to go with Wrex to have myself a broteam, but If we get our asses kicked badly (since none of us is a proper warr) I’ll just restart and take ashley.

16. Avioto says:

Overwatch, PES 2018 and I think I’m getting close to the ending of FF12. I’m also really enjoying Samsara, a game more puzzle fans should check out. I don’t think it sold well which is a shame.

17. TrynePlague says:

Dragon Quest Builders, Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

18. Sarfrin says:

Subnautica, for hours and hours if possible. A bit of Dragon Age Origins and the odd level of Squarecells for variety too.

19. Tyrmot says:

PUBG and subnautica I think, maybe some TW2

20. caff says:

Completed Tesla vs. Lovecraft last weekend. Loved it. Now starting Neon Chrome and I think I love it even more.

Yes please Katherine thoughts on that title sound good.

21. Imbecile says:

Nuns with guns. Not a game, but maybe it should be.

Gonna try and finish Nioh, which Ive very much enjoyed even though Ive mostly brought in outside help for the bosses.

Inevitably also Rocket League and some still somehow absurdly buggy Battlefield 1.

22. SaintAn says:

Playing FFXIV again.
    Continuing my playthrough of FFXII.
    Getting Dragon Quest Builders for Switch tomorrow.

Not playing Overwatch since they ruined CTF. Blizzard is too incompetent, out of touch, and arrogant, so they tend to strangle and destroy their games. Shame because I really loved Overwatch and loved the science and technology theme of the game. Reminded me of Shadowrun 2007.

23. napoleonic says:

Where’s your games group, Matt?

24. Someoldguy says:

Not sure quite how, but I’ve wandered back into D&D Online after a long absence and am enjoying running through some adventures. Once I’m sated on that, in a couple of weeks I might fire up Lord of the Rings Online and see if I can fathom out how the 4538 changes to how character skills work since I last played fit together. Probably have to start a new character to get to grips with it all.

25. Mister eX says:

Soldiering on in Witcher 3 after completing HoS a couple of days back. Probably should check back in Subnautica, but I’ve overdosed on it a little bit last weekend. :D Some TDU2…

26. juan_h says:

Crusader Kings II. Slowly but surely, Ireland will absorb all of the British Isles. It turns out that there are a lot of advantages to starting in Ireland in 867 rather than 1066. Sure, you’re at significant risk of being conquered by angry Norsemen for the first century or so but after that it is tremendously convenient not to have to deal with a unified England.

Now, if only I could stop appointing my horse Chancellor I might get somewhere.

• trollomat says:

One of those angry Norsemen would be me. :) Well, I’m not in Ireland yet, but starting in Jylland, in my first five years I invaded Mercia and then subjugated Jorvik, which by the time had conquered all of northern Englang on its own. All while emptying the purses of the coastal counties on the continent, plus Paris and Cologne. Almost feels a little overpowerd, but gavelkind is already rearing it’S ugly head.

It my first time with CK2, and after I spent the fist few hours more on reading the wiki than actually playing, I’m having quite the blast now.

• Maldarus says:

Glad you’re enjoying it, my first playthrough was a twisting ride that lead to my Dutch duke becoming King of France through no real effort of my own. I had little clue about what I was doing but it was great fun and I’ve loved it ever since. I’ve only done a couple Norse viking games, but I assume you know that if you reform the religion you can become feudal and get rid of Gavelkind. I wish you the best on your pillaging, and if you ever want to try a different path of pillaging I’d recommend getting Horse Lords and going nomadic. It’s a different gameplay style and you have to take a different approach to land and vassal management, but there’s no feeling like watching enemies fall before your thundering hooves and burning down the great cities of the world.

• juan_h says:

Cool. There’s nothing like your first game. I think a 1066 Catholic start would probably have been a little easier, but you sound like you have things well in hand. When gavelkind really starts to irritate you can try reforming the Germanic faith or just convert, which is probably easier. Good luck!

27. jezcentral says:

Unreal Engine, for the first time in too long.

Also, no joke, I’m starting a find-all-the-caches run of Half Life 2.

28. Vandelay says:

Already mentioned Subnautica and Dark Souls 2 that I will likely play some of.

I finished Quantum Break earlier this week. Well, I say “finished” but I actually gave up on the final boss. I got to the point where I was yelling at the screen with it, to be honest. Not sure if it was down to my red-green colour blindness or whether it was badly done, but I found it pretty much impossible to tell whether I would be hit by the bosses insta-kill attack. When the red glow started the whole room seemed to be filled with it and I couldn’t see whether I was on range of the blast. When I finally killed the last enemy only to be caught in one stray time bomb thing, I gave up and just watched the end on YouTube.

Besides the sour note at the end, it was a good game. Action was solid and the story was interesting enough to hold my attention. They put far too much information in e-mailed rather than told through you playing and they seemed to have ditch the fun dialogue of Remedy’s previous games, but it was still an enjoyable romp.

Just started playing DoW3. I have always had a soft spot for old school RTS campaigns, so I will see if it suits me more than seemingly most people. I enjoyed the first mission enough, so hope for more of that.

I can’t imagine multiplayer will be much fun now, what with so few players and those left likely being far too dedicated for me to compete with, so likely not bother with that side.

29. Chorltonwheelie says:

Back into Wolfenstein 2 with a vengeance.
    If my life had been closely observed by scientists charged with building me the perfect game this would be it.
    Everything I love is here. Pathos, bathos, high camp, gruesome bloodletting, comedy, horror and knowing social commentary.
    I’ll be sad when it’s over. I can console myself with the last chapter of “Life is Strange” and maybe have a go at Subnautica next.

30. Zenicetus says:

I’m taking a break from Subnautica. It’s a lovely game, but at certain points it starts to feel very heavily gated for progression, a bit grindy. For me, it’s probably best to take it a little at a time.

So this weekend I really should go back and finish the very last bit of AC Origins, then think about picking up the DLC. Maybe a bit of Endless Space 2 on the side.

• Anvilfolk says:

I’m feeling this way too, a little bit, so I find I mostly play it when I’m happy to enjoy the scenery.

Also, apparently some people can do 1h speedruns of it, which blows my mind!

Aerothorn says:

You’re absolutely right – Subnautica tries to solve the ‘endgame problem’ of Minecraft et all, that “I have what I need, what do I do now, I gotta invent arbitrary tasks for myself” shtick – by having a real sense of progression and direction. But it probably overshoots the mark, and it definitely goes from “I can do anything!” to borderline-linear as far as the main narrative goes. It’s still a good time and is absolutely worth seeing to the end, but it’s definitely a different sort of pleasure to what comes before.

• fish99 says:

There’s definitely some gating with the tablets and depth upgrades, but I wouldn’t call it grindy. You end up making a lot of stuff expecting to need it when actually you don’t.

31. geldonyetich says:

Nibbling away at Subnautica, limping towards the ending, but I am weary of this sea, its constant resource gathering and aggressive leviathans.

Mostly playing Final Fantasy XII’s PC release. It plays very well, at least once I turned on borderless mode so the timing wasn’t buggered.

32. Carra says:

Opus Magnum. Getting to the end of World 5 so I think I’m almost done. Well, there’s a few ‘hard’ puzzles after that…

33. Ben King says:

when I am not prepping for dungeons and dragons on Sunday or playing the remade Shadow of the Colossus I think I will be trying to figure out how to get my PS4 dual shock for controller to play friendly with Subnautica or Firewatch or any other FPS style character movement system without staring at the sky and spinning in circles. I suspect it may be the touchpad input screwing things up but i’m open to tips…

34. parsley says:

It’s snowing! So much snow! I’ll be playing Celeste, and I want to buy Dandara.

35. Warjan says:

Yesterday I came back to my old from 2016 Witcher 1 save game. Probably play a little bit of Gwent as well. Endless Legend for sure, learning a bit of Stellaris.

36. kud13 says:

the last of the 3 “Jensen Stories” DLC for Mankind Divided- “A Criminal Past”

I finished “System Rift” yesterday, and now I know what’s the deal with Breach. Still no intention of actually playing Breach, mind.

If I manage to finish the DLC, I’ll probably start either “Of Orcs and Men” or “Remember Me” in my backlog.

john_silence says:

Remember Me was, I would say, vastly underrated. Interesting story with some very strong sequences, and a fascinating, gorgeous scenery. Perfectly enjoyable mechanics too, with an original take on brawler combat.

I mean, it sounds like a no-brainer in hindsight: a cyberpunk Batman-style game by the creators of Life Is Strange, set in a noir future Paris? If it got released now it would get a lot more acclaim.

• Seyda Neen says:

(spoilers…)Yes, I too would call having your main character commit a terrorist act to kill thousands of innocent families and then wallow in self-doubt afterwards an “interesting story”. It’s got stuff going for it but the story is so not one of them.

37. mcdreamer says:

Just picked up Celeste on Switch so getting going on that. Otherwise a bit of Street Fighter V arcade mode and Breath of the Wild.

38. Seyda Neen says:

I’m playing Celeste, the best video game ever made. I’ve 100%ed the levels and B-sides through Mirror Temple, just a bit left to go. Gotta buy that soundtrack at some point…

Also lots of Overwatch, cause that’s great.

39. Mi-24 says:

I was going to be playing something ubi-like while listening to the interesting sounding monsters podcast, but instead I’m repartitioning a laptop, hopefully tomorrow though. Katharine that game sounds interesting, I love raymond chandler books and it sounds like something I’ve never tried before.

40. Det. Bullock says:

Either Blue Planet for Freespace Open on PC or Metroid Prime on Wii.

particlese says:

Ooo, Metroid Prime, excellent. I still get nostalgic about that whole trilogy – especially the first two.

I also just yesterday started playing the Metroid Prime Hunters DS game after chatting with someone about it.* I’m impressed with how well the FPS controls work on that thing, and how much magic they were able to work with the graphics, similar to the main trilogy. The Wii remote controls work really well for the main trilogy, too, but it’s been so long since I played the first two on GameCube that I completely forget how it compares in that department. More fun to control than yer typical modern wigglestick FPSes, at least, and the third game in the series includes some neat motion controller specific interactions, too.

*I’d tried multi-player on a friend’s DS and bought myself a copy, but then I stopped playing with my DS before I got around to playing that game…

• malkav11 says:

I envy you finding the controls on the DS game viable. For me they’re like a hand torture device. Mind you, it’s probably not a game I’d get that much out of anyway – it seems like the multiplayer was the focus and even if I knew people with it to play against I wouldn’t be interested. But I loved Metroid Prime so much that a portable entry was really exciting until I actually tried to play it. :/

particlese says:

Heh, I do need to put it down every so often to keep the trigger finger from cramping into a crumpled tangle of flesh and bone, but other than that, it works pretty well. (I.e. I really like how the stylus part works and wish I didn’t have to support the entire device with two and a half non-thumb fingers…)

The Almighty Moo says:

I liked the Wii controls in the third, but there was something amazing satisfying about mashing the GameCubes big fat A button to kill things in the original two. Hopefully the trilogy will ge a Switch release

41. hijuisuis says:

After finishing Half Life 1 in a glorious megababy smash up, I’m now playing Myst.

Wow! It’s really well done, and so far only minor puzzle frustrations. Thing is, it’s only an interlude game until I go back to play Opposing Force.

syllopsium says:

I’ve picked up the 3DS again, so some Space Invaders Extreme (DS), and some Steamworld Heist. Still not convinced by Heist, picking up extra companions later in the game seems to need a disproportionate amount of water, and whilst some of the tactics are fun, the inventory management is also annoying..

43. Shinard says:

The aggressively 7/10 Prototype, I think. I just love moving around the city – sprinting up buildings, gliding through the air and air dashing around. It’s incredibly OTT, and reasonably loose but it’s just fun. If there were more movement challenges, maybe some races, I’d like it a lot more. But still, it’s all pretty fun in small doses. As long as they aren’t horrible killjoys and don’t take away my powers again, I’ll be dipping in and out til I’ve burned through it all.

Been thinking about finishing off Dark Souls as well. I loved everything I played of it, and Demon Souls is one of my favourite console games, but I just drifted away from it. Got stuck on Manus, the shadowy sod. I guess I could go fight the Four Kings, but I don’t like giving up on a boss. I’m sure I’ll get him eventually.

44. Scandalon says:

Continuing my quest to find a high-quality source for the dueling nuns image up there suitable for framing.

Probably some more Witcher3 Blood and Wine. One or two more levels of Superhot.

45. fish99 says:

Wanted to free up some disk space, so finally finished my 2nd playthrough of GTAV this week. Still a very fun and entertaining game. I went for the cop-out ending again.

I’ve also gone back to Destiny 2 for the same reason. Still haven’t finished the story. For all the criticism the end-game gets, just playing through the story is a lot of fun and it looks and runs really nice.

46. Gomer_Pyle says:

A CCR reference on RPS? Who’d a thunk it?

Anyways, now that the AoE beta is over, I’ll be playing Verdun as usual and I may try one of my Humble Monthly games out.

47. michelangelo says:

I started Metal Gear Solid V week or so ago and yet early charmed by it, it became quite a tiring, time expensive kind of experience. Repetitive work and frustration, more than a joy of the game. Sterile sneaking, choking and sleep darting stuff of camps and structures with a minimum of dialogues makes it hard to be turned on again.

Alice, have fun with Bloodborne! I DID. And it’s been elevated even higher by reading complete Lovecraft work at the time period when I’ve been playing it. Can’t recommend it more enthusiastically. What’s cool thou, is that those best moments of Lovecraft imagination was not yet translated in any movie or game I’ve seen so far. Mostly sea/sailing themed ones.

Big Dunc says:

After sitting untouched on my harddrive for several years, I’ve finally gotten around to playing Prison Architect and I’m really loving it. It’s such a complex game and I’m learning something new everyday. I just need to decide whether to continue with my organically developing current prison, or take everything I’ve learned and build a new one from scratch.

The Almighty Moo says:

I’ve started Subnautica because everyone seems to love it. I’m not much on survival games, but I’m enjoying it so far.

50. mineshaft says:

Eco. I wasn’t in the Kickstarter, but I took a punt on Early Access. Still Beta and I’ve had a crash or two. But. I’m surprised at how fun and intuitive the core craft / tech / skill loop has been, trying to figure out the ecosystem has been interesting, and the asteroid that’s going to destroy my world is definitely motivating.

Also, unlike Subnautica, you don’t die and things aren’t attacking you (at least in single player). You just get too hungry to work and run around.

I was playing Dead Cells but this game completely bowled me over.

Comment on this story