Sea Of Thieves system requirements and recommended specs announced

shared_world-large

Has yer galleon got at least 4GB of RAM? Alas, if ye be missin’ that component, you’d best stay in port. *Ahem* Rare have announced the system requirements for their upcoming co-op pirate simulator Sea of Thieves. The game, which is due out on March 20th, has been heavily marketed as an Xbox One exclusive, but it will also be coming to the Microsoft store for anyone wanting to play it with a mouse & cutlass providing you’ve got a PC that can handle it.

The spec list itself is more of a spec table, seen below. It’s divided up into six categories, beginning with the absolute minimum requirements which they describe as ‘cursed’ and going right up to the beefiest of rigs, which they term ‘mythical’. Amazingly, the game can run on an integrated GPU with a measly Intel Iris CPU, although this locks it to 30fps and only displays at 540p. From there, the specs scale up about as you’d expect, with the game comfortably running on a trusty old GTX 770 or Radeon R9. If you’re wanting to taste the salty spray as it flies out of your monitor though, you’ll be needing an i7 4790 or a Ryzen 5, in tandem with either a GTX 1080Ti or Radeon RX Vega 64.

Click on the image to make the table bigger.

3351075-specs

If you’re still unsure about whether or not you want to set sail on the high seas, check out Alec’s impressions of the beta for a clearer view of what you’re getting. We’ll also of course have a review when the time comes.

1. BobbyDylan says:

This game really piques my interest. But the fact that it’s MP only and requires the Windows store means I’ll never play it.

• PoulWrist says:

It must suck to be blocked at all turns by small things :|

• BobbyDylan says:

all…. turns?

• wunkerdind says:

It’s not a small thing. If there’s no single player there’s no real game to play, except to be online with morons and idiots.

• ogopogo says:

These system requirements are remarkably forgiving, all things considered. Which means the stupid, stupid Win 10 “requirement” is clearly artificial nonsense.
        What percentage of games require an (unnecessary) system OS upgrade? 0.001% ? An ridiculous demand like that is hardly a small thing, at least when taken in “video gaming gripes” context.

• tekknik says:

The price is what’s going to kill it for me, I can’t see this game (or any game really) being worth $60. I’m also not a fan of the windows store release method. I get why MS wants to use their own store but they already distribute via steam. Why change now?

• Wertymk says:

It’s 70€ here in the euroland. Also what bothers me is that I can’t buy just the pc-verison for cheaper. I don’t own an xbox so I get nothing in return for the ridiculous price.

• Zelos says:

You can gain access to the game for $10 via the xbox game pass. I’m not sure if it’ll even be worth the bother though. Game’s looking like NMS 2.0.

• Kowie says:

Anyone who’s not squeamish of mp and has played the alpha or beta knows its well worth 10$. i’d snatch it up at $30 knowing its going to be a short casual on and off affair stuff paying a full $60.

• Don Reba says:

MP-only and Microsoft Store make for a sorry combination, with the Store and its apps, including Edge, unable to work through a VPN here, even though no other programs have any trouble.

• Vilos Cohaagen says:

The fact that Microsoft apps don’t work with VPNs when literally *everything else does* is endlessly infuriating! I use a VPN all the time so this locks me out even if I wanted to use the crappy windows store. I’m not a fan of steam anymore particularly but Microsoft has repeatedly screwed me over with games for many years and I’ve not forgotten nor forgiven how many games were hobbled by GFWL and then killed by it’s termination.

• hollowroom says:

Multiplayer only put me off this too.

• ulix says:

Moaning it’s on the Windows store only… sure. I get it.

But complaining it’s multiplayer only? Seriously? Have you actually seen the game?

Sure, you have a ship you can navigate solo. But it sure as hell seems like missing the entire point of the game.

They had to put it in, but I don’t think they should have. Unless you use it to meet up with or get back to your crew of course!

• BobbyDylan says:

Have you played Sid Meiers Pirates? Something like that is what I had in mind the first time I saw this. Same with ASS-Cred Black Flag. If Black Flag spent less time making me follow people around in bushes, and let me buy and upgrade new ships, and recruit and train new NPC crew, that’d be my perfect Pirate game.

2. DiiGiiTAL says:

Think I’m going to massively miss the boat on this one.

cough

Anyway, puns aside, this game is not enough of a reason to upgrade to the shambles that is Windows 10.

• Crusoe says:

Win 10 is a clusterfuck of a mess, and if staying away makes me a luddite, I’m happy to be one.

• Pedro_O says:

Huh?!

I have been using it for at least 12 months and I barely notice any difference from Windows 7. It is universally recognized as a good installment from Microsoft, after the disaster that was Windows 8, despite its annoyingly atrocious attempts to make me upgrade. I didn’t want to, at first, but the upgrade was seamless. There is nothing I can’t do in Windows 10 that I could do in Windows 7.

• wunkerdind says:

You can’t refuse updates, or keep a stable operating system.

• Don Reba says:

There is nothing I can’t do in Windows 10 that I could do in Windows 7.

I miss having nested folders in the Start menu and more than 6 programs in the recently used list. Windows Experience Index was a neat feature.

3. Siimon says:

This is the best list of system requirements I’ve ever seen. I’m so glad this is what it is moving towards

• neuroxia says:

Yup, that’s looking pretty neat. The only weird part is the fact that they recommend 8gb of VRAM for 4k@30fps and then proceed to list a 980ti which only has 6gb of VRAM.

Also for 540p they put graphic cards in the CPU spot.

4. MaxMcG says:

Is this game polluted with MTX’s does anyone know?

• Neutrino says:

No one’s buying it so we don’t know.

• PointyShinyBurning says:

There will be apparently, but only for cosmetic items and no loot-box gambling bollocks link to uk.ign.com

Given that the servers have got to be paid for somehow that sounds OK to me, but YMMV.

5. Artist says:

To be honest the game is a dud, a blinder. Played it during the testing phases and theres barely content to justify a 20 bucks pricetag. Gameplay is rather meh.
    Amazing water textures, though.

• Vilos Cohaagen says:

I guess this is a case of international variations on English, but in England “Dud” and “Blinder” are slang for opposites (dud = bad, blinder = amazing). I’m sure it is different where you are and I’m not suggesting you change your usage, more that it amused and confused me in equal measure!

6. Chaz says:

£10 more expensive on PC, for reasons, great!

Presumably I won’t need an XBox Live sub to play it though?

Oh and that’s another thing. Yet another system I haven’t touched since I had a 360, which I’ll need to update to keep track of friends on etc etc.

And in defense of that £49.99 price tag, I suppose there’s no monthly sub to keep paying.

But it looks great fun though and I’ll most likely end up buying it I suspect, but errghhhh! Why? Why Microsoft? Why?

7. Dinger says:

Avast, this game will dismast my leaky sixth-rate bitbucket and the main truck will pull me under to Davey Jones’ slideshow. Double portion of rum for the men, strike the Mizzenmast, and set out a hammock on the quarterdeck. What’s this? Microsoft Store? I’ll have the scurvy dog who decided that at my drumhead, forthwith! I’d sooner this hull run the Capes with nary a keel than wager a piece of eight that she’ll not founder on the Sea of Thieves.

8. HiroTheProtagonist says:

Yeah, not really feeling it. The whole affair smacks of Sunset Overdrive, in which a potentially decent game is ultimately kneecapped by exclusivity to platforms nobody wants to use. Had Microsoft just swallowed their pride and put this on Steam, it would easily have made up for all the sales lost by keeping it on the Windows Store. Hell, Killer Instinct saw a fairly big boost on PC when it moved from WS to Steam, and I can still regularly find matches.

9. Synesthesia says:

Such a shame this will be only on the microsoft store, What a waste. I actually want to play this. The price tag is a big fuck you, too. If it pops up in nuuvem, or with a localised price in steam, I’ll gladly get it. Until then, MS can go fuck themselves.

10. necurbanapauperem says:

There’s a battered creepy old store that sells “replacement kitchen doors and windows” near me. I always wondered, what happens if you want a new door, or you want to have the window installed in a bedroom? Do they suddenly get irrationally angry and threaten you? Insist that this is the ONLY way to trade the coverings for your household appertures?
    I imagine them sending folks around in the middle of the night to record how you’ve used them and they giggle about it to all their friends in the replacement fixtures and fittings game.
    I realise now that i’ve probably projected my feelings about the Windows Store onto those poor shop-owners, but i’m a slave to those feelings now. I’ll just have to live with gaping holes in my walls.

11. Rince says:

Multiplayer only and Microsoft Store? Hahahaha, no thanks.