Bought an AMD Ryzen Vega APU from Newegg this week? You could be in for a partial refund

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

Earlier this week, AMD’s new Ryzen APUs with built-in Vega graphics – the Ryzen 3 2200G and the Ryzen 5 2400G – finally went on sale for $99 and $169 apiece. That’s how much AMD said they would cost and most retailers, lo and behold, have been selling them for those exact amounts.

Newegg, however, haven’t been playing ball this week, as their initial prices for the pair of Ryzen Vega APUs were around $20 more than their recommended retail prices. Fortunately, the metaphorical mob has retaliated quickly against these price shenanigans (hopefully by pelting them with old eggs), and affected customers are now being offered partial refunds to bring their purchases back in line with everyone else.

Steve Burke, who writes for Gamer Nexus, was one such customer and received the following email from Newegg on Tuesday notifying him of his upcoming refund.

Dear Steve Burke,

We have great news! We are contacting you today about your recent order for an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Quad-Core Desktop Processor YD2400C5FBBox, item 19-113-480, which you placed on February 12th 2018. We have been informed that the price had been lowered from $189.99 to $169.00 and we want to pass on these savings to you.

We will automatically issue you a refund for the amount of $20 back to your original form of payment within 2-4 business days of this e-mail. You won’t need to do anything on your end.

We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future. If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please do not hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,

Your Newegg Customer Service Team

Great news indeed. Thanks, Newegg, for being so thoughtful, despite the fact the Ryzen 5 2400G’s price was never $189.99 to begin with and has only ever been referred to as costing $169. Good on you.

Anyway, it would appear Newegg have finally got their house in order now, as the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G are indeed currently listed at $99 and $169. For now, anyway. Alas, anyone looking to avoid Newegg altogether are out of luck at the moment, as the Ryzen 3 2200G is currently out of stock on Amazon and stock of the Ryzen 5 2400G isn’t due in until February 17th.

Fortunately, UK stock seems to be more plentiful, with both Ryzen Vega APUs available on Amazon for their proper prices (£90 and £150 respectively), as well as places like Scan, Overclockers and Novatech (who are actually selling the Ryzen 5 2400G for just £148.30, it turns out, so grab one while you can).

1. HiroTheProtagonist says:

Shame on Newegg for trying to pull a fast one, but at least they corrected it.

Tangentially related, are these CPUs as good as the normal Ryzen line? I’ve already got a GTX1070 from before the madness started and am thinking of upgrading my 8 year old Sandy Bridge, but I like the idea of an integrated APU in the event my GPU fails.

• flyingdisc says:

I too have half an eye on a new ryzen. 2400G is one of the first ryzen+. It’s almost the same as 1400 but with a few advances. For example it can now turn on and off turbo on a single core basis (rather than all or nothing).

It might not actually be what you want though. Unlike the ryzen 1400, it’s only got 8 pci lanes, which will limit use of more capable gpu cards. I’m interested because I could do with an upgrade. I can’t contemplate buying a new gpu in the current price market, and a 2400G might be a way of tying me over. It would give me access to a big cpu upgrade now, and the motherboard sets up an easier future upgrade when gpu prices have settled in a few years (the CPU socket will last another few cycles, and the price barrier of entry for the motherhood is much cheaper than intel)

2. spacein_vader says:

The CPUs offer near identical performance to their standard counterparts.

phuzz says:

But the APUs are pretty bloody good from all the reviews I’ve seen. Not quite mid-range GPU good, but as good as a low range GPU, which isn’t bad for £20 more than the older version of the CPU.

3. NPC says:

Hmmm, shouldn’t these things be automatically regulated in free economy? Unless NewEgg is a monopoly, people would just buy from other stores if they didn’t like the price. If someone compared prices and still chose NewEgg — I would assume it’s because of other factors (brand confidence, delivery speed, whatever), which had value to them.

I probably misunderstand what happened.

4. Viral Frog says:

Well, AMD can only set an MSRP. They cannot lawfully tell a retailer that they have to sell a product at a set price (at least not in the USA). So really, whoever went with Newegg shouldn’t feel entitled to a refund because it’s a free market. They should have been smart and priced them up before just blindly throwing money at Newegg.

I do not support Newegg’s decision to give into people who feel that they should not bear the consequences of their own actions.

• Person of Interest says:

Newegg’s decided that a retroactive discount makes better business sense than keeping the extra margin. Its customers may otherwise return the products and re-purchase them at the new price (and possibly not from Newegg), which is extra cost and hassle for both parties.

It’s just weird to turn a pure business decision into some kind of missed morality lesson.

5. PsychoWedge says:

What? People to stupid or lazy to look for price comparisons now deserve a refound for buying a random thing in a random store that is a bit more pricey than other random stores? Is there no sense of responsibility for one’s own actions anymore?

• Person of Interest says:

They’d be stupid and lazy not to ask for a partial refund. It’s basically requesting a price match, which lots of shops will honor. I’ve never been denied one in the past.

6. wisnoskij says:

I like how UKians are supposed to be happy that they have the ability to pay the far far more expensive price of $212 USD (150 pounds) just because that is what the recommended price is. While American’s should be outraged with $190 USD.

• Decadoice says:

Remember, US prices don’t include sales tax.

$169 + 20% = $202.8 or approx £144.50

In reality the price is only around £5 more in the UK compared to the US.

7. EkoAzarak says:

newegg has really gone downhill in recent years. i had 2 really bad experiences with them. so i dont even consider buying from newegg anymore.

• dirthurts says:

I agree. They used to be much better. They don’t really have great prices, or deals these days. That, and their refund policy is terrible, especially with the restocking fees they charge.
      Amazon is a much better bet these days…

• Person of Interest says:

I’ve had mostly good luck with returns. The only hiccup was when they shipped me a HDD with lousy packaging, banged up and predictably DOA, but they didn’t offer me a prepaid return shipping label until I insisted.

I continue to shop with Newegg because they’re still beating patent trolls to a pulp, unlike Amazon who either pays them off or joins their ranks (see their patent on “1-click buying”).

• jrodman says:

Yep, I’ve had incorrect parts, failures to correctly handle returns, attempts to charge me fees for their errors, etc. I won’t buy from them anymore.

Comment on this story