Sea Of Thieves’ servers need plundering this weekend

Sea of Thieves

While I’ve not had the chance to find my sea legs yet, our Alec has greatly enjoyed his time thusfar with Rare’s upcoming co-op pirate sandbox adventure Sea of Thieves. Over the past month or two, beta testing events for the game have been stepping up, and now it’s in the final stretch of development. There’s just one thing left to do: Bracing for impact.

In order to help ensure that their servers don’t completely melt down on launch day, Rare are going to be running a series of Scale Testing beta weekends from now until release. The first of which is due to kick off tomorrow morning, 10am GMT, and end at the same time on Sunday morning.

As detailed here on the Sea of Thieves site, the Scale Test will run for 48 hours exactly, and they hope to get concurrent player numbers up to their highest yet. They’re not quite ready to open the floodgates to everyone, so attendance on this one will be limited to previous Sea of Thieves beta testers, and Xbox Insider members. The game is exclusive to Windows 10 and can be acquired exclusively via the built-in storefront. It’s a pain, yes, but at least it allows cross-play with Xbox One folks.

They’re pretty honest about what they’re expecting to see happen during this round of testing: Interrupted connections, wonky store interactions and inability to join games at especially busy times. If they do find that their hardware is choking during this test, they’ll be able to roll out more servers in time for the next round. If all goes smoothly, then they can be a little more conservative in their upscaling.

I must admit that I was initially skeptical of Sea of Thieves when I first laid eyes on it, but through accounts from friends of their hook-handed misadventures, and a few Twitch streams watched, I’m rather excited to try this. I’m usually not the most social of gamers, but if there’s anything I’ve learnt from reading far too much One Piece I’m sure I can find a crew of gentle souls to follow me on my path to adventure.

1. Evan_ says:

A pain? It’s price is a pain. Having to switch operating system on the pc that’s also my workstation, with many painstakingly configured applications is much more than that.

The game looks great, but I’m rooting so hard for it to fail because of the WinStore exclusivity. I’d take lootboxes and microtransactions any day instead. At least those can be ignored.

• Ghostwise says:

I’d imagine that in a year or two, it’ll make the transition from sail to Steam.

• Daemoroth says:

Sounds like a “you” problem, and top if off with you being an absolute d*ck for no apparent reason.

• Evan_ says:

I’m rooting for it to fail for completely selfless reasons: if an anything exclusive title fails, it decreases the chances of companies using good games to promote something no one would even prod with a stick. So more people will have access to titles they are interested in.

So I feel my d*ckness if far from ‘absolute’ at least. :)

• DarkFenix says:

It’s not just his problem, and he isn’t being a dick. Origin exclusivity has been enough to make me ignore anything appearing on it, Windows Store exclusivity is worse.

You might be willing to swallow any dick move developers throw your way, but you’re in for a shock if you think you can accurately project that onto everyone else.

I too am hoping their WinStore exclusivity blows up in their faces, because that’s how businesses learn.

• iainl says:

The problem, unfortunately, with WinStore “failures” is persuading Microsoft it’s a problem. Titles placed in the WinStore are an afterthought – a way to suggest they’re playing nice with the PC owners. But success or otherwise will be measured in Xbox sales, just as with Forza.

• MataDor says:

This will be day 1 buy for me when/if it hits Steam. This looks like grate and fun co-op for my gaming friends group. Besides I usualy only play MP games and co-ops.
      But I will never again buy any game from M$ Store. My experience with GFWL was bad enough to make me not trust them anymore.
      To be honest, I also hope this game will fail hard with sales on this store.
      Back to R6 Siege then.

Jerodar says:

It actually is pretty much an open beta, all you need to do is download the Insider Hub from the windows store and sign up there, then you can download the beta.

• doodler says:

Can confirm, this was a simple sign up if you already have an free microsoft/xbox live account.

• Marr says:

Well that’s the big ‘if’, isn’t it. I’m in no hurry to repeat the experience of Games for Windows Live, especially in a way that would attempt to graft itself permanently onto my Windows user account.

• Rince says:

No thanks!! Horrible pricing, Windows Store exclusivity, only multiplayer, microtransactions. Too many issues. It’s not even worth a look for me.

3. silvershine says:

I really want this game, it’s pretty much exactly what I want and yet because of a dodgy Windows Update and my reluctance to rebuild my laptop to fix it I can’t and won’t be able to play it.

I suppose it’s poetic that the one game I might have braved the Windows store for comes out at the time where I can’t.

Although that price can go eat a bag of Davy Jones’ cockles.

4. ronbomb says:

I didn’t have any problems with the servers during the scale test. I was even able to make some unlikely allies. :)
    link to