Mechs V Kaijus has an awesome tower defence theme

MVKheader

I’m a Pacific Rim apologist. I describe it to people as “the best throwaway film I’ve ever seen”, largely because there’s a point in the middle where you can tell the writers said: “Ah, screw it” and embraced how ridiculous the whole thing is. It’s this bit, in case you were wondering.

Anyway! I’ve fantasised about battling monsters in oversized mech suits ever since, which is neat because I’ve just spent half an hour doing exactly that in tower defence game Mechs V Kaijus. The full game will be out in March, say the developers, but there’s already a free demo. I’m not normally a big fan of tower defence, but I am a fan of feeling awesome. MVK’s premise is a quick and dirty way to generate that feeling, but it has a few tricks up its sleeve to help.

It’s like Plants Vs Zombies. You’re defending your base along multiple horizontal lanes – though some monsters weave around. Also unlike in PVZ, you can spew out mouse-aimed bullets from a stationary mech, as well as call down air strikes or deploy tanks (once you’ve unlocked them). There’s not much to it, but constantly deciding which kaijus to prioritise meant I felt like I was taking a more active role than in other tower defence games I’ve dabbled with.

The best moments, though, are when you summon your defences from the skies. Time slows as you open the building menu, and each wall and turret slams into the ground instantly via a drop pod: there’s no faffing around with build times. Calling for a wall to arrive in just the right place at just the right time is damn satisfying – I’m just sad that they don’t seem to squish the monsters beneath.

There’s a tech tree for both upgrading your mech, or unlocking new defences and abilities. Both options use the same currency, so there’s a trade-off between direct firepower and building more interesting defences. If I feel awesome now, I wonder how I’ll feel when I get my hands on this orbital freezing death laser.

Like I say, developers Doble Punch Games are aiming for a March release on Steam.

1. Durgendorf says:

I thought the “screw it” moment you were referring to his going to link to the scene where they whip out the sword.

YOU MEAN THE SWORD YOU DIDN’T USE WHEN YOUR BROTHER WAS KILLED?

2. FireStorm1010 says:

:)IF you want a full Kaiju experience and not neceseriily a tower defence fan, I recomend Kaiju-A-GoGo, i have had tons of fun with it.

• Evan_ says:

Thank you!

I’m a fan of senseless destruction, no matter how bad the game is that contains it.

• FireStorm1010 says:

Happy to have helped and you should get senseless destruction aplanty:). I got 112 hours in Kajiu Go Go, and im thinking about going back soon for another run. Its a deceptively simple game on the surface with some really nifty mechanics if you want to dig deeper. Ofc beside the senseless destruction which is its prime feature:).

• Evan_ says:

Already playing, it’s a joy. Wish I could decide if it’s a good game – I feel I couldn’t tell if it wasn’t, because of all the fun I’m having. :)

3. mattevansc3 says:

Do people even need to be Pacific Rim apologists? It was a bloody good movie.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

It was a modern Hollywood blockbuster where the CGI had heft and the action was easy to follow. A rarity.

• Moraven says:

Sadly the 2nd movie is looking more like Transformers and faster action.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Indeed. It was great, and did exactly what it set out to do.

4. mattevansc3 says:

That line is nowhere as ridiculous as people make out.

There are still a considerable amount of nuclear power stations running on analogue instrumentation because the upgrade to digital instrumentation is expensive primarily due to the need to install EMI protection through a lot of the infrastructure.

Idris Elba has radiation poisoning because of his proximity to a nuclear reactor without adequate radiation shielding. As Idris Elba explained, in their rush to get the Jaeger’s out, a pilot’s safety wasn’t a big concern. If Elba’s Jaeger didn’t have radiation shielding it would be less likely to have EMI shielding. So for it work the systems would have to be as analogue as possible to prevent interference.

Gypsy Danger is only a few generations after Idris Elba’s mech so while it may have radiation shielding in the cockpit it very likely still wouldn’t have sufficient EMI shielding across all the components.

The newer mechs aren’t using a nuclear power source so have no need for that level of EMI shielding.

• LuNatic says:

The reason old power stations are still analogue, is that they were built in an analogue era. Pacific Rim is set in the near future. You don’t build an experimental war machine and think, “Hmmm, we should build this on 60 year old technology.”.

Also, look at the pilot-machine interface. There is no way you can seriously tell me that is analogue.

• MajorLag says:

More importantly: analog electronics are also vulnerable to damage from a large EMPs. Unless Gypsy was entirely mechanical it would have still been vulnerable.

• TechnicalBen says:

Meh, it’s one of those “plot spin” films where I don’t mind correcting/backretconning their story for them. It got the “rule of cool” “get out of jail free card” that very few movies deserve.

So, to fix it. Make the Gypsy the only Jager with a core that does not need shielding. All the mechs have shielded control units, but the engines/power sources are too big to shield. Gypsy is Nuclear, so the core does not need shielding, and a “reboot” on that control system is near instant and not using parts that will burn out.

That way all the other mechs power out to EMP (as who is gonna shield an entire mech to emp if fighting biological foes) but Gypsy is either EMP ignoring (no exposed circuits) or emp shielded (important circuits shielded from nuclear core = shielded from other things).

The quote “it’s analogue” could apply only to the power. IIRC they never mention *what* the other mechs are powered by. So we could just assume “quantum batteries (silicone wafers amped up to massive charge levels)” and assume an EMP is BAD for those.