Battlefield 1’s final expansion, Apocalypse, is out now

Battlefield 1: Apocalypse

Some people just want to see the world burn, but there’s enough smoke and hellfire in Battlefield 1‘s final chunk of DLC to make even the hardiest of soldiers want to pack up and go home. Fittingly wrapping up the pesudo-historical shooter’s tour of World War 1 with its grimmest battles, Apocalypse is live for anyone with the Premium pass, or the complete ‘Revolution’ edition of the game.

Within, the bombastic yet fittingly dark launch trailer for the DLC.

Following hot on the heels of the delayed North Sea update (the latter half of the Turning Tides expansion, which was broken up to meet the release schedule), everyone with the Premium Pass or the Revolution edition of the game can now jump into the final, spectacularly messy battles of the ever-increasingly misnamed War To End All Wars. Those who plan on buying Apocalypse separately (I do wonder why) will have to wait just under two weeks now.

On top of the usual collection of new weapons, vehicles and gadgetry (including a handy anti-air weapon for ground troops to use), Apocalypse contains five maps. Three of them fitting into the normal playmodes, and two of them dedicated to the new Air Assault mode, which sees biplane pilots throw down against massive airships en-masse without having to worry about the plight of the poor bloody soldiers probably burning to death in the fields below.

The three terrestrial maps seem to skew to the larger-scale end of things. Caporetto (as pictured up top) features a long uphill battle against an entrenched Italian army force, while the River Somme map (one I’ve not had a chance to play a round on) is apparently a spectacular showcase of the terrain deformation systems in the game. What begins as an infantry charge across lush golden wheat fields turns into a bloody, mud-soaked grinder as the match wears on and artillery upends earth.

As a handy aside, Battlefield 1: Revolution (the complete edition of the game) is very steeply discounted on Origin this week. With the additional discount from Origin Access, it brings the price down to a particularly wallet-friendly £16.49 or £18.33 otherwise. With Battlefield games, it’s often best to be fashionably late to the party.

1. brucethemoose says:

Wait, what? 1 day before the Stellaris: Apocalypse release?

That just sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen… How has it not already happened?

• wackazoa says:

1. Is apocalypse trademarked?
      2. Battlefield 1 had every peace of expansion/DLC named and dated since the release of the base game. Who should sue who?

2. wackazoa says:

Watching that trailer only makes me wish they had added to or put more time into the single player campaign. The game is fun but Ive only put about 30hrs into the multiplayer and I have owned it since Jan. 2017. I haven’t even touched it since the Russian expansion, and then only played the one map based on the Brusilov campaign.

• ctkag says:

Really wanted to play a WWI-themed shooter, however I am not a fan of multiplayer – so I lose out. Same with the COD franchise, if at least 50% of the game isn’t devoted to the single-player campaign, I’m not interested. Just my preference.

• wackazoa says:

If you can get it for cheap the campaign isn’t bad. It’s short, about 8-10 hrs, so if your only getting it for the campaign get it on sale.

• canadiancontent says:

Did any of the DLC introduce new single player content? I was with the understanding that it did not which is why I didn’t bother buying the DLC. Really hoping I’m wrong.

3. Cederic says:

Very steeply discounted at £18 for a game that’s got a very limited lifespan – because I don’t trust EA for a moment to keep the servers running.

No thanks. I’ll stick to games that have longevity, quite apart from basic things like not fragmenting the playerbase with expansions.

• Daymare says:

Out of curiousity: Which was the last BF game whose servers were shut down?

• vaivars says:

BF2, but can’t really blame EA for that – since it relied on gamespy.
        What you could blame EA for is the fan attempts at getting some form of servers running :/.

4. Byrnghaer says:

I know this game is technically supposed to represent WW1 but it still feels like an insult for them to quote ‘All Quiet On The Western Front’, considering how absolutely safe and sugarcoated they made this game.

5. vaivars says:

Honestly this is the most dissapointing DLC for BF1 overall. The maps are basically rehashes of existing ones, just made.. darker which makes it just nasty. New weapons.. aren’t anything new, apart from the AA rocketlauncher (lol).
    For 18 quid, you will easily get your monies worth, but i feel kinda bad for the peeps who paid 90ish for the same experience.

phuzz says:

“i feel kinda bad for the peeps who paid 90ish”
      Hopefully they’ve learnt something from the experience, which would be: Don’t spend that much on a special edition when it’ll be a fifth of that price soon

• wackazoa says:

Yeah… :/ I paid $75 for the BF1 & Titanfall 2 bundle in Jan 2017. I got my monies worth, don’t get me wrong, but come end of summer it was $50 for the same bundle. In the fall it was $40 for BF1 and all the expansions. I ended up paying $15 for the “season pass” in the summer/fall sale. So all told I’d say I paid $50 for BF1 and $30 for Titanfall 2.

You definitely get a better deal the longer you wait. But I don’t feel as jipped as if I bought the game day 1.

Comment on this story