MotorStorm team’s new racer Onrush looks smashing

Codemasters tend to frown upon carfights, urging people to drive responsibly through their F1 and Dirt games, but their next race ’em up certainly looks smash-happy. Onrush is its name, and driving fast while smashing other vehicles is its game. It’s made by the Codies studio formerly known as Evolution Studios, who made PlayStation racers MotorStorm and Driveclub before Sony closed the studio and Codies snapped up the team. Though Codies announced Onrush last year, they’ve been weirdly quiet about the fact that it’s coming to PC too; I’d entirely missed that fact until this new trailer. Watch:

See? Fast vehicles, smashing each other. Codemasters gab about the game having eight vehicle classes, which not only drive differently but have different abilities. Some are offensive, Codies say without going into details, while others are support abilities to help out your team. Curious! I quite like silly abilities and violence in driving games, and racing in cargangs does sound a lark.

Though the trailer doesn’t mention PC at all (neither does the game’s site, nor any press releases from Codies…), it is coming our way. The console release is in June then, an official FAQ says, the PC version will follow “at a later date”. They’ve mentioned this before in low-key places like tweets and blog comments, saying “we’re just focusing on the console experience first.” I assume that means the wait might be a while. Be a terrible shame if some PC gaming website were to shamble in and stir up that attention you’re purposely avoiding, wouldn’t it?

Codies picked the Evolution team up in 2016, shortly after Sony shut the studio down. They’ve been making racing games since 1999, all of them exclusive PlayStations until Onrush. I’ve not played any but I’ve heard the MotorStorm games are fun enough, gang?

1. Gothnak says:

I wish someone would do a driving game in the style of Super Cars 2 (Amiga) or Destruction Derby (PS1). Both games were pretty easy to drive, but the skill was avoiding bombs and rockets (Supercars) or knowing when to ram or push out opponents based on bends or crossovers (Destruction Derby).

They were great tactical driving games, but everything these days is twitch based and way more random and for me, less fun.

• BattleXer says:

Try Bugbear’s Wreckfest.

It’s still in Beta and updates are intermittent, but what’s there so far is already one hell of a ride. Sweet destruction, edge of your seat racing and plain old mayhem.

2. Tinotoin says:

Seeing the pools of water on the track, I wonder if it’ll retain the hot/cold boost mechanic of Motorstorm. I liked that, it added a bit extra to the gameplay I thought.

3. frozbite says:

Hell yeah!

I played only Motorstor: Arctic Edge on psp, and god, it’s so much fun! Nothing any way close to this fun on PC!

• HiroTheProtagonist says:

The original Motorstorm and Pacific Rift were also great. It’s a damn shame they kiboshed the series after Apocalypse and I’d love to see a PC port of the series, but at the same time this looks like it could be Motorstorm for PC, and I’m more than okay with that.

4. partTimeCrazy says:

wow, i could just imagine the pitch meeting for this:

“What would happen if Forza, Burnout, and Rollcage had a really weird orgy…?”

5. Kollega says:

This actually looks very interesting, seeing as I never got to play the console-only MotorStorm games. But I really like the idea of arcade racing in extreme conditions, and certainly will not pass on this intterpretation if it’s any good. Especially if it features truly extreme racing, e.g. during thunderstorms or snowstorms. The potential for badass driving is practically unlimited!

6. fray_bentos says:

I wouldn’t say it looks smashing; it looks more like the sort of stuff that I hope they keep out of the Dirt franchise.

7. Freud says:

Battle Royale. But with cars.

8. Thankmar says:

Motorstorm was ok, albeit feeling a bit sluggish with (deliberate, I think) untight controls. Although I played only a handful hours.

9. ulix says:

This has a rather intriguing core concept:

“You earn points by taking down opponents and completing objectives. It’s not about getting out in front and being untouchable, or getting out in front and waiting for the others to catch up. With Onrush, the aim is to complete objectives before your opponent – and by objectives we don’t mean driving safely or completing a clean section,” Rustchynsky explained.

Turns out, it’s a lot more extreme than that.

“Points are scored while in the thick of the action and this is what makes the gameplay so compelling,” Brayshaw said. “You have to get your hands dirty to win. Make no mistake, this is a full-contact sport. Smashing into things and taking down your opponents is a major part of the fun. Just make sure you give as good as you get.”

“There are no positions and there’s no finish line, it’s all about scoring big and making big plays every time you hit the track,” Rustchynsky explained.

link to

10. April March says:

On the one hand, it reminds me of FUEL.
    On the other hand, it reminds me that FUEL was left to dry, as Codemasters made no effort to remove the GFWL DRM it had. I admit I haven’t even tried to install my PC version of the game, but if other games are any indication I’ll be unable to save.

11. Baggypants says:

Pretty sure you can still save in FUEL. I lost my disk a while back though :(

Comment on this story