Final Fantasy XV is set to expand into 2018 and beyond

I’d apologise for the excessive coverage of Final Fantasy XV lately, but that would be wrong, so instead I’ll just admit to being quite excited for the overhauled PC release of Square’s quirky and unique mega-budget male-bonding magical realist road trip RPG, and the changes coming to it.

Katharine has been serving as the spirit of FFXV’s both present and past, but here I bring you a vision of Final Fantasy XV yet to come: It’s a fresh wave of episodic DLC, and it may well be rolling out all the way into 2019, starting with a chance to play as smirking, flamboyant antagonist Ardyn, pictured above.

As revealed during a (Japanese) interview with Famitsu Magazine, there are now four character-focused DLC packs set for release after the PC launch, expanding from their original plans to only do three over the course of the year, and possibly stretching beyond their initial intent to wrap the game up fully in 2018.

The DLC plans open with a chance to play as the bad-guy for once, stepping into the ever-polished shoes of Ardyn Izunia. You can get a decent measure of the man in this clip from tie-in prequel movie Kingsglaive. Slightly spoileriffic, I might add before you click, but we are nearly a year and a half from the original launch of the game.

After Ardyn? The sky’s the limit. In the interview, they mentioned that fans have been calling for a chance to play as Princess Lunafreya as well, a character often talked about but seldom seen during the game. I can think of a few other characters that people might want to have a chance to play as, most notably Gladiolus’ wayward sister Iris and all-round badass Aranea Highwind. It would be nice if three of the four new characters were leading ladies, wouldn’t it?

It should be worth noting that these are almost certainly going to be near-standalone stories, fleshing out characters that may not have gotten as much screen-time in the game as they deserved, and should not be considered mandatory or even planned parts of the original game. I expect to see them bulking up the multiplayer a bit along the way, too.

And all of this on top of the expansion to online multiplayer that’s launching in parallel with the PC version, and the ridiculous Half-Life tie-in gubbins for those jumping aboard the fashion-train early. For those who want more FFXV without paying extra, there are plans to expand the mod tools after launch to allow for the easy creation and injection of new quests and scenarios.

No pricing, release date or season pass plans have been announced for the new episodes, although if it’s anything like the original game on consoles, individual character-story DLCs weigh in at around £4/$5 each, and clock in at approximately movie-length. Final Fantasy XV itself will be hitting PC on March 6th, just over a week from now, and includes all DLC produced to date.

1. Faldrath says:

Knowing nothing about the game, when I saw the picture I assumed the article would be about an imminent Game of Thrones mod for FFXV.

2. geldonyetich says:

Having allowed my hype to carry me through the Brotherhood vignettes and Kingsglaive, I have to say I am staggered at the tendency of the lore of this game to grow.

The struggles of Noct and his band are central to the main conflict, and yet there’s all these important bit characters in the background. An entire movie is spent exploring Nyx, a literal throwaway hero. The lore includes you, apparently, as your custom Kingsglaive multiplayer mode character. But I often wonder what the thoroughly enigmatic Luna’s up to, or Ardyn, or the Hunters, or the rest of the crownsguard.

The mythos overruns with potential loose ends, possibly a weakness, but as long as we keep getting more lore to fill the gaps, possibly a strength.

3. racccoon says:

It’ll take that long to upgrade, so far the price of upgrades has not dropped at all for 2 years which does suck, crypto’s should have there own system packages, so far most crypt ozone burners have lost tons of cash yippeee!! so I don’t really see the point of it anymore for the small guy as the totally bored billionaire is filling up car parks making carbon footprints the size of hell & choking all to death with price hikes, i so loath bored billionaires…

4. LilSassy says:

“Noctis’ wayward sister Iris”

Iris is Gladiolus’s sister. Huge difference

5. ColonelFlanders says:

You’ve spelled your colleague’s name wrong. KathArine :)

6. Sly-Lupin says:

Friendly reminder that there’s this super important moment in the game where Ardyn is revealed as the villain, and the heroes are forced to be taken captive by him in order to survive an exploding volcano thing… as soon as they’re taken by the Imperial army, the screen fades to black. Next scene, everyone is randomly free and Ardyn helpfully sends an Imperial airship over to them to return their car before kindly buggering off. No explanation or comment is offered.

Just to remind everyone just how poorly FFXV’s story has told, this part of the game is untouched by any of the content patches or DLCs. In other words, the game’s narrative is fundamentally broken and SE just keeps tacking on extra stuff without really even trying to fix it. So with DLC, we’ve got a bigger story that’s just as incoherent as the launch version.

• Kolbex says:

Uh, for real? That’s crazy.

• Darloth says:

I remember it somewhat differently…

As I recall it happening, yes, Ardyn revealed himself as the imperial chancellor and picked them up from the exploding volcano, but he’d been shadily helping them for a while before then, and after being safely dropped off with a cheery wave goodbye, the party talked amongst themselves about how this was odd and untrustworthy and what the heck was he even doing?

He also stole their car, and they had to sneak into a military base and summon a god to get it back.

Later on you find out that he had a good reason (in his opinion) to do all of this, and was primarily just doing it to have fun at other people’s expense, with a side order of wanting the party to progress to a certain event so having them die in a volcano wouldn’t have been very helpful.

I wouldn’t say it’s an EXCELLENT story, but that particular scene is not one I thought needed more explanation.

• Sly-Lupin says:

It’s not necessarily a lack of explanation so much as an absence of explanation that’s the problem. They literally didn’t bother to “film” the last half of that scene. The half-assed approach to narrative here is pretty indicative of the game’s problems, which have been left almost completely unaddressed by supplemental content.

The whole”putting the heroes in terrible peril, then fading to black, and they’re fine and everything is resolved in the next scene” is something you really only see in cheap children’s cartoons that go Over budget, or parodies of those cheap cartoons. It’s pretty inexcusable in a AAA game.

7. Hidden_7 says:

Legitimate question (not trying to be a pedant here):

This is the second time in as many articles that I’ve seen Final Fantasy XV referred to as ‘magical realist’ on this site. Nothing about it strikes me as magical realist, as I’ve understood the term. It seems fairly straightforward constructed world fantasy to me (albeit with a level of technological development not often seen in more Tolkein-aping fare).

Am I missing something? I’ve not played the game, though I’m much looking forward to it. Does it evolve into more Kentucky Route Zero in tone and setting post first-act? Is magical realist being used here to mean “fantasy, but with elements that look like contemporary society (and also no vampires or werewolves)”? Bonus third option?

• Sly-Lupin says:

Magical realism is a literary genre, they’re misusing the term to describe the overall aesthetic of the game. IE fantasy monsters are “magic” and they’re depicted relatively “realistically.” A more appropriate term might be “fantasy photo-realism,” for example.

8. haldolium says:

“I’d apologise for the excessive coverage of Final Fantasy XV lately”

Accepted. Now please stop. With all games featuring anime style. For the spring at least. Ok?

Comment on this story