Hunt: Showdown sloshes into early access bayou

Spider! Ah! Oh thank heavens it’s just an early access videogame. Easy mistake. The way they both scuttle out into the open, it’s very similar. But see, look closely and you’ll find that this is actually a lesser-spotted Hunt: Showdown – a multiplayer horror shooter set in the swamps and farmland of rural Louisiana, in which pairs of bounty hunters track monsters and shoot at each other. Not at all a slavering, monstrous eight-legged terror from the deepest chasms of the primordial human psyche. In fact, look at it from the side and you can see a launch trailer. That means it’s a male. The males are harmless.

That’s the schtick. You go into the swamps – five teams of two people – and hunt a big monster. Maybe you’re after the bloated, leech-haired “Meathead” or something called “The Hive” or maybe just – AH! – a giant spider. If you successfully kill your quarry, other hunter teams will be able to see you using their wobbly hunter vision. And they want the trophy from your poor monster victim. So it’s part Left 4 Dead, part every other competitive multiplayer shooter. I’m simplifying things because that’s my job.

As in the battle royales of the world, death means death. Here, you lose all your gear but you’ll keep experience which you can use to buy more gear and upgrade your next hunter character. There are lots of dirty, old-fashioned monster-hunting weapons, such as this one, the Caldwell Handcannon.

Strong name, that gun.

Adam had a go at Hunt: Showdown before release and spoke of it on our podcast about the best monsters in games. He was a bit disappointed that the monster-hunting had to devolve into human-hunting but he’s been playing a little more and will have some thoughts soon. Maybe getting shot in the back from an unknown position by an unknown assailant with an unknown weapon will grow on him. He enjoys Plunkbat, after all.

Anyway, as you can see the game has scurried out into the Steam store for £25.99/$29.99. It’s an adorable creature when you examine it, and… wait, now that I think about it, it’s mating season. This little Hunt: Showdown must be looking for a mate. See? He’s flashing his trailer and exuding review code and — wait. But that means… Oh no.

Don’t move.

The female.

… right…

… there.

1. Gothnak says:

I like the idea of co-op monster hunting with my friends (Almost looks like a dark, scary Borderlands in some respects). Then i see you have to do it against other players, or annoying assholes as i like to call them.

So i’m out.

• stryker777 says:

@Gothnak: I agree with you. The co-op sounds fun, as does the monster hunting. However, PvP ruins so many games, because of the assholes. So, like you, I’m outta here.

• Daymare says:

Same! Would’ve probably bought the originally planned game (without PVP). Don’t have any interest in PVP.

I play LoL sometimes and that’s really enough frustration to handle vs other people in games, for me anyhow.

• Gothnak says:

Actually, this game, say you start with an axe each (Rather than pre-equipping) and you have to track the monster while looting houses and picking up weapons & equipment and facing weaker enemies, all co-op with no enemy players sounds like a great idea…

• Mr Bismarck says:

All co-op with no enemy players is exactly what this game started off as, before swapping to PvPvE.

• screamingabdab says:

Bloody PvP, I was another that was intrigued by the idea and then immediatly thrown off the train by the PvP.

Give us a PvP mode if you’re desperate for it, but there’s plenty of people that want co-op PvE gameplay.

• Lord of Beer says:

I disagree, the PvP adds a whole extra level to what would otherwise just be a very beautiful Left 4 Dead 3. It would be far too easy just as PvE. It forces you to manage your equipment and supplies for both monsters and humans.

Plus, PUBG is one giant PvE, and its the most succesful PC game of all time!

I’m loving the game myself, definitely recommend buying.

• Gothnak says:

Why would it be too easy? You could just set the difficulty however you like it. Also, if you start with no equipment that’d be awesome finding it as you go along while hunting the enemies.

Also, i’m not saying it won’t be popular, just not for me.

X Factor and Eastenders are popular, i don’t watch either.

2. Kyuurei says:

The game is actually fun, I was in the closed alpha and I have enjoyed this more than the classic battle royale games. But I don’t think they should have released in EA, the game is not ready, and the content in the game is nowhere near enough to justify that price. Riddled with bugs, crashes, performance issues and insane loading times… Hard pass for now, maybe i’ll get back to it at release.

3. DasBilligeAlien says:

Meh another Monster Hunter… I want to the monster :(

4. Mr Bismarck says:

I played in the alpha and it was fine. I’m not paying $30 for fine though.

5. ByrdWhyrm says:

I played a few rounds of the closed beta and overall liked it. The central concept is strong, and it feels pretty good to play. I’m concerned that they’re putting it into early access prematurely, though. The matchmaking took forever, and I got disconnected a few times. I’m concerned the game may get a (at the moment deserved) reputation for working poorly, and it will have a hard time shaking it.

6. Lord of Beer says:

I’ve played 5 rounds, crashed only once, had a terrific time. Very pleasantly surprised by the game. The graphics and level design are absolutely outstanding.

If you like the tactical combat of PUBG, but want it at a slower pace, smaller scale and in a beautiful environment with some cool AI enemies, this is for you. $30 is a bargain in a sea of AAA with microtranscations also.

7. bigblack says:

A beautiful Left 4 Dead 3 is exactly what I wanted from this. They actually changed it to be the exact opposite of what I was drawn to from the first trailers.

No one wants my L4D3 money. I’ll go back to praying that it ends up as one of the 3 new VR titles Valve is supposedly working on.

8. ronbomb says:

I freakin LOVE this game! I just got it on Early Access and even made a LEt’s Play of it (Found here:I’m so Scared!) Super fun and super addictive! Better than PUBG.

9. OthonVS says:

I played the Alpha a little bit and i like the ambience, the desing of monsters and map, the gunplay… but the PVP part broke everything. “Camp Showdown”, or “Camper Showdown” would be a more appropiate name.

And 30 € for one map and 2 missions to choose… this people are a little bit crazy.

Comment on this story