Boys are back in town: Final Fantasy XV PC demo is out

Boys, boys, boys, I’m looking for a good time. That’s why I’m downloading the demo for Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition, which just launched. The demo contains the RPG’s first chapter so we can meet those boys, boys, boys and see how their road trip starts. And hopefully it’ll let us see how the game might actually run on our PCs, given that the benchmarking tool released earlier this month is wonky and Square Enix say it “may not accurately reflect the game’s final performance”. For now: boys.

The demo contains the tutorial and the first chapter, which sadly is before the anime boyband roadtrip antics are in full swing. It’s available now through Steam, Origin, and Microsoft’s Store. The download size is 18.7GB, and Squeenix note that it includes the high-res (and high-filesize) 4K textures that will be an optional download in the full game.

Hopefully this is more technically sound than the benchmark. As Squeenix explained, the benchmark suffers framerate stuttering and level-of-detail issues. They said that “both of the issues will be addressed in the shipping game,” and hopefully in this demo too? I guess I’ll find out in ooh about an hour at this download speed.

While it seems everyone else round here has played FFXV on consoles and has strong opinions on such important questions as “Which dinner is the prettiest dinner?” and “Which boy in the boyband is the best boy?” I’ve hovered around with only a peripheral knowledge, so I’m glad to start forming my own opinions now. As for informed opinions, Katharine has played the PC version and chatted with some devs too.

The full version of Final Fantasy XV is due to hit PC next Tuesday, March 6th. The Steam version is getting a Gordon Freeman costume because sure, why not?

1. ashleys_ears says:

BACKSTREET’S BACK

AWRIGHT

Aerothorn says:

Does anyone know if the saves transfer to the main game?

3. Stugle says:

Alice, that opening sentence is glorious. And a painful reminder of how old I am.

• Unclepauly says:

1987 was 6 yrs over a quarter century ago. Three..Friggin… Decades….

• spacedyemeerkat says:

I’ve still got the 12″.

• Syt says:

Alice’s lyrics based references/titles have been a great source of enjoyment for me on this site. :)

4. Laurentius says:

Cool, I’ll check it out.

5. geldonyetich says:

After a lengthy pottering about throughout Chapter 1, I finally brought the demo to a close. I suppose I could go back in and do some more fishing, but the demo openly says that the save file does not transfer over to release so there’s little lasting gains to be had except a fun time and perhaps a bit of opening area reconnaissance.

Still, a decent enough size for a demo, you could hang around the opening area the entire week if you wanted to, in this very small sliver of a huge game world, without lasting gains.

As for how the demo plays on the PC… I encountered no problems whatsoever. Smooth enough at 2560×1080 on high detail on a 1070Ti. I did have to tweak the settings a little at the start to get it run at the proper resolution (look under “display” and not “graphics”) and I opted to turn off the NVIDIA hair physics in the end as they were quite janky.

• Kamestos says:

There is a new GeForce driver which supposedly improve FFXV performance. Did you try it ?

• geldonyetich says:

I had installed the driver before starting the demo for the first time, so I can’t say if there were any performance changes. I will say that what little problems I had were not frame-rate related, but rather that the configuration menus were unconventional.

I actually went back and played some more on Very High (the highest of the non-custom settings) and all of the NVIDIA extras off, framerate was still very good and the game looked great, but there was a rare jarring lurch as assets were loaded in that I did not notice on High settings.

6. zaygr says:

I read from a reddit comment that the ingame FPS counter/system info overlay can tank your FPS. I’m still downloading (yay Australian string and tin can internet) the demo, so I can’t say for myself if it helps.

7. Simbosan says:

Given that I’m someone who despises boy bands with a particularly virulent hate, could I stand this game? I love FF in general but after FFX-2 Barbie Saves the World, I’m wary of setting myself up for hours of unbearable cringe.

• boundless08 says:

This is exactly the reason I stopped playing on the PS4. I’m hoping someone will make a mod to stop the boys, boys, boys from talking so terribly often

8. Pharaoh Nanjulian says:

I am so confused by Final Fantasy. It’s a name that has whirled about in my vicinity for years, and many people seem to understand what it signifies, yet I’ve never played one or seen someone play one. None of my friends ever finally fantasied to my knowledge, and I’ve never felt I’m missing out.

Now on RPS I keep seeing pictures of dog monsters, references to JRPGs and now a road-trip old American car thing going on. My confusion is not lessened, nor do I have any desire to play the game, but I am enjoying the strange limbo of being entirely outside whatever it is people are getting excited about.

I shall continue to watch this unfold and be satisfied that every reference is going straight over my head with a reassuring whistling sound.

• geldonyetich says:

Being confused by Final Fantasy is the natural state of the franchise.

Final Fantasy XV was specifically developed in such a way as to ease new players into playing it, playing really barely anything like any game of the series before it (much to the irritation of some of the existing fans) and more like an interactive movie (which everyone should understand).

Thus, if you decided that you had time to try something new, this is a good gateway game.