Nvidia’s new Ampere GeForce graphics cards could be here as soon as April

Nvidia Titan V reveal

Nvidia’s next generation of GeForce GTX graphics cards could be here as soon as April, according to the GPU rumour mill, with their first public unveiling taking place at the company’s GPU Technology Conference (GTC) next month.

That’s according to TweakTown, who spoke to a “well-placed source” in the graphics card business. We love us some well-placed sources us.

These cards would replace Nvidia’s current 10-series, which include the likes of the GTX 1070 and GTX 1060 and many others that currently dominate our best graphics cards list. However, rather than using an 11-series naming convention, TweakTown reckons we’ll see Nvidia jump up to 20 instead with the launch of the GeForce GTX 2080 and the GeForce GTX 2070 to be more precise.

Whatever they end up being called, though, the new GTX cards will allegedly use a refreshed version of Nvidia’s Ampere architecture rather than the high-end Volta architecture that’s already been deployed in high-end cards like the ludicrous Titan V (pictured above). This is meant to be even more powerful than Nvidia’s current Pascal architecture, as seen in the GTX 10-series, as well as more power efficient.

Hold on a second, I hear you cry. Wasn’t Volta meant to be Nvidia’s next GPU architecture? Yes, for a long time it appeared as though Volta would indeed be the successor to Nvidia’s consumer line-up of Pascal cards. Now, however, it looks as though it may be passed over in favour of what’s now known as Ampere, with Volta being reserved for Nvidia’s top-end cards alone.

Then again, that same well-placed source also said Nvidia will be showing off another completely new GPU architecture at GTC 2018, which would theoretically mean something different to both Volta and Ampere. Right now, the only other code name currently floating around out there is something called Turing according to Reuters, so it may be the new GTX 2070 and GTX 2080 (or indeed the GTX 1170 and GTX 1180) cards will be Turing-based after all, because it would be weird to announce a brand-new GPU architecture and then unveil a pair of cards based on something older.

Who the hell knows, basically. Still, if the rumours are to be believed, the current timeline for these GTX 2070 and GTX 2080 cards estimates a release date somewhere around late April to early May, which is pretty damn soon. Will they be subject to the current great GPU price hike crisis? Let’s hope not.

Either way, we hopefully won’t have to wait very long until we know for sure, as GTC 2018 is due to take place next month on March 26.

1. Halk says:

Cool, I’m looking forward to massively overpay for one.

2. A7ibaba says:

Im sure crypto-miners scam will be happy

3. iainl says:

When I was digging around the other day, the speculation? rumour? leak? suggested Turing is a range of cards specifically optimised for Those Blooming Miners, much as the Quadro cards are aimed at CAD people. Hence the nod to cryptography in the name.

If that pushes that market into staying away from the 2060 / 1160 / whatever it’s called that I’d buy, so much the better.

4. Pulstar says:

Let me know when they get back to making hardware for computer gamers. Them or AMD..

5. PancreaticDefect says:

The video card shortage has been especially painful for me. In 2017 I decided to be patient and wait a whole year for my next tax return to buy a new GPU since the 1080ti was just around the corner and I had already spent a few thousand dollars on a new build. Well, we all know how my patience was rewarded. And since we’re nowhere near out of the woods yet with the crypto scalpers, I know theres no way I’m going to be able to click fast enough to get my hands on whatever is coming down the pike this year (and thats if I choose to settle for a reference card) . Guess I’ll just have to tuck away about $1000 and be patient a while longer.

• nitric22 says:

I’m right there with you. I decided last year that 2018 would be my upgrade year. Thus far it has been my medium settings year.

• rayo153 says:

I’m in the same boat, wanted to buy a 1080ti this year because common sense told me it should be cheaper…

• Core415 says:

Same, was going to get 2 1080ti but that isn’t happening anytime soon. I would love to get these new cards but that are coming out but unless Nvidia has done something with these new card to make them worthless to miners there is no hope

• Carra says:

I’m at the opposite side of the spectrum. Bought a 1060 18 months ago and still happy with it :)

MajorLag says:

Yeah, I have an older rig with a 560ti, which has served me well, but decided to hold off on upgrading early last year. Now the funbux miners have ruined any chance of that happening in the near future. I’m not the kind of person who would ever pay $1k for a video card, so I’ll just not upgrade. I imagine there’s a lot of PC gamers in the same boat, so developers will have to keep their min-specs reasonable anyway for the next few years.

Personally, as a hobbyist developer, I’ve decided to forego accelerated rendering entirely for the time being and stick to software rendering, which is more fun anyway if you ask me.

• skydaddy says:

I’m in the opposite side of the spectrum.

When I started mining back in June 2017 I bought 24 pcs of MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X’s, and then another 48 pcs of MSI GTX 1080 Ti’s in September 2017. I recently sold 16 of these GTX 1070’s with a $200 markup on each card.

Not only have I ROI’d all of my GPU’s, but I was also able to sell them at a much higher price than what I originally paid them for. I also have a healthy stock of Bitcoin, Ethereum and ZCash after subtracting equipment costs and electricity expenses. Triple win.

6. Psychomorph says:

If that contributes to making the 1080Ti more affordable, I’m happy about new Nvidia hardware announcements.

Was waiting a year to be able to afford it, but no luck.

7. golochuk says:

I can’t wait until true AI solves the crypto crisis by going on strike when forced to work the coal mines all day instead of rendering varied murder simulators.

8. Amphetamine says:

The Ampere rummours have been going around for weeks now, since then a couple of AIB partners have come out and said unofficially that the next mainstream card architecture will be called “Turing”.

Still the only official information is Jensen saying that there will be 7 new desktop card SKUs this year, during the nvidia keynote at CES.

9. Ejia says:

AMD and nVidia have swapped nomenclatures again?

I originally wanted to see if people would confuse a GTX 580 with an RX 580, but now let’s see if one can pass off a GeForce 5500 for a GTX 5050 in a few years.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

I’m more worried about poor confused search engines that will definitely attempt to “correct” the allegedly misspelled query.

Actually, by marketing logic naming the successor to 1000-series a 2000 instead of 1100 means you might avoid some cases of low perceived value of improvement (i.e. the new model is X-times better, instead of only 0.X)

10. Core415 says:

Who cares? Miners are going to eat these cards up and they are probably going to cost around $2000-$2500 each.

11. jeremyalexander says:

I’m going to have to pass for a while until prices return to a sensible level. I bought a computer 4 years ago that runs everything on Ultra to this day and the whole thing costs about 100 dollars more than a top tier Nvidia does today.

12. LuNatic says:

Here’s hoping that nVidia cripples mining at the driver level.

Don Reba says:

Why would they hurt their best customers?

• ResonanceCascade says:

Miners create a huge amount of risk for graphics card manufacturers because they offload their hardware en masse when there is a crash, creating a competitive secondhand market. Gamers don’t tend to resell still-current GPUs in meaningful numbers, so they’re “safer” customers, even if there are fewer of them.

So it makes more sense to have gaming remain the bedrock of GPU sales, even if crypto is driving more profit in the short term.

But I’m not really sure what the solution is, aside from more/better crypto-specific hardware, maybe?

MajorLag says:

That would be a waste of literally everyone involved’s time. Miners will just write their own drivers or hack up the nVidia provided ones, and it’s pretty much impossible to affect just that one task and not more “legitimate” ones.

There’s no solution to this problem other than a significant ramp-up in high-end GPU production, or the collapse of cryptocoins, which looks a bit less likely every day despite literally nobody I know caring about them other than as a way to make a quick buck (pretty much the biggest scam indicator possible).

When the second great decline in PC gaming happens, you’ll know who to blame.

• CrumpledDickSkin says:

Hope someone implodes the market by paying crypto miners to help hack cryptocurrencies and reset the value to zero.

13. skydaddy says:

Great, another opportunity for me to significantly increase my hashrates. I hope my supplier can allocate at least 24 pcs of these babies at a discounted price.

14. gtb says:

Well, I don’t know about you guys but I am really looking forward to not being able to buy any of these for less than 250% msrp.

15. Ghostwise says:

So, one month before we finally get our answers !

16. Kittim says:

Remember the RAM price fixing a few years ago that cost the cartel of greedy SOBs not nearly enough of a fine?

This is the same. GFX card prices are fixed full stop.
    Normally, if a product is selling well, the price drops.
    Cards ARE selling well because of all the crapto currency A-holes out there.
    So, logic goes that more demand means more demand for components, which mean lower costs because of price breaks with your supplier.

Companies order more components and get better prices.

I think it’s utter BS that GFX card companies and PC component sellers are asking f*cking stupid prices over what the products should be selling at.

They site a lack of product as an excuse to raise prices.
    The amount of product available is pretty much the same, it’s only the demand for the product that has increased.

Gouging people isn’t cool and should be fined massively.

Comment on this story