BattleTech stomping onto PC in April

The turn-based tactical MechWarrior-o-rama BattleTech will launch in April, publishers Paradox announced today. When in April? That’d be telling. But at some point. Our Adam called it “the mech game I’ve always wanted” when he played a preview version almost a year ago, so it’s nice we’ll soon get to see what the robofuss is about. We’ll have to mech up for lost time. Mech. MECH. MAKE. On the subject of explaining things, a new video series has started with some Harebrained Schemes fellas (including BattleTech co-creator Jordan Weisman) explaining a bit about how the game works:

BattleTech will have a campaign mode along with multiplayer battle action and AI bot-bashing skirmishes. Edwin Evans-Thirlwell had a go on the campaign mode in November and came away saying:

“If, like me, you’re mostly familiar with the Battletech universe care of the MechWarrior spin-off games, you may be shocked by the sheer amount of ground there is to cover. This is a vast and engagingly ramshackle fiction, encompassing over a hundred spin-off novels and dozens of tabletop and computer games, all of it funnelled into the mournful spectacle of massive, ancient, rickety robots laying each other out for the count. I’m not sure the new game’s campaign options can match the volatility and variety of XCOM or the later Total Wars, but the battling continues to be excellent, and while I’ve picked over the spoils of imploding empires in many games, this is among the few that really explores the premise at the level of systems and tactics.”

BattleTech is coming to Windows and Mac via Steam, priced at £35/€40/$40.

Earl-Grey says:

Boy I hope no one else comes strolling into this comment section any time soon; I’ve just taken my trousers off and started airing out the family jewels.
    It’s getting musky in here.

2. Cloak says:

Looks mediocre, trying to hard to hype, and over priced.

3. DeFrank says:

in theory i should be pumped for this, but after watching a bunch of gameplay it just looks so slow and dry i dunno anymore.

4. Adunakhor says:

I played over 100 hrs in the Backer Beta on skirmish single play alone…and I generally dislike turn based games. This one is neither slow nor dry. This HBS video should give you a better Impression how the flow of the game works:

Neurotic says:

Speaking as someone who loved FASA’s boxed tabletop Battletech series back in the late ’80s, does this game feature any of the FASA mechs? I ask because I haven’t really paid much attention to Mechwarrior Online because in my limited understanding of it, they’re using some new/other/own designs. And I really crave the old Battlemasters and Warhammers, etc.

• Adunakhor says:

Because of the HG lawsuit out of the Unseen the Marauder and Warhammer are not in for release (Catapult K2 & Black Knight are in though). Other than that there are a LOT of IS mechs in for release (30 something). The HBS forum is moving right now, so I cant provide a proper link to the official mech list. Just check the Paradox Battletech forum in a few hours.

Phasma Felis says:

You’re mistaken about MechWarrior Online; most of the mechs there are straight out of FASA’s very first mech book, Technical Readout 3025. You may be thinking specifically of the 14 mechs included in most of the early BattleTech boxed sets:

Locust, Stinger, Wasp, Phoenix Hawk, Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Rifleman, Crusader, Thunderbolt, Archer, Warhammer, Marauder, BattleMaster

Those have somewhat different looks in MWO, because FASA had licensed them all from a Japanese company, but then got sued by Harmony Gold which had licensed them separately and it was a clusterfuck.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

MWO has just about 100 mechs now, and there is exactly one new design in the game that’s not from FASA. Incidentally, HBS’ Battletech is using the same models/designs as MWO because the two studios get on well.

Neurotic says:

Good information, thank you all! The scales have been lifted from my eyes. :D

6. NetharSpinos says:

Looks delicious, can’t wait for it to be released. The detail of mechs being affected by recoil seems exaggerated though, especially when launching missiles.

7. KillahMate says:

I couldn’t afford to kickstart this when it was going, but it stayed on my radar. Fingers very much crossed it works out.

8. Splyce says:

I absolutely loved the MechCommander games back in the day. BattleTech Canon is really interesting, and the RTS take on mech combat was nicely refreshing. If this is as good as MC2, it would be a hell of a thing. HBS did a great job with the Shadowrun material in all three iterations, so I trust they’ll do the same with the story telling here.

9. DanMan says:

They’re only “giant” war machines, if there are also non-giant things in it. It doesn’t actually matter how big they are, if all of it is at the same scale.

So all I hear is: we built something like XCOM.

• gabrielonuris says:

You mean scale, I think; it’s nice to see a gamer bringing that up sometimes, because I rarely see that in games (ironically, we get a lot of open world games nowadays, but almost none with actual scale).

Now from the top of my head, the games I can think that actually has some sense of scale are The Witcher 3 and Assassin’s Creed Unity onwards.

• Someoldguy says:

The mechs are as tall as trees and carelessly crashing through single storey buildings at will. Tanks look tiny next to them. I’d say that gives a good impression of scale, alongside the biggest mechs dwarfing the smaller ones.

• Jmnea says:

The game has smaller tanks and vehicles, so they’re still giant by your definition.

10. Dogahn says:

I saw vehicles in earlier demonstrations. Weisman has been doing games long enough to know about scaling. Pure mech on mech (Solaris arenas) even got shelved to focus on the campaign.

It should be noted that I backed this when announced. I was impressed by what they learned from doing shadowrun & felt they finally could do a good digital board game.

11. wwarnick says:

Alice, you’re my favorite writer in RPS.

12. Thankmar says:

Developed by “Beards United – Different but Same”

Comment on this story