Capital Wasteland looks a lot like Fallout 3 in Fallout 4

Last time we looked at Capital Wasteland, the Fallout 4 mod unofficially recreating Fallout 3 inside the newer game, the team behind it were showing off a montage of environments. That’s nice and all, but it’s a stage many remake mods for many games have reached before fizzling out. Now they’re showing: no, look, we really are doing it. A new gameplay video shows a 12-minute chunk of Fallout 3’s main quest with NPCs, action, dialogue, scripted events, quest progression, and other things that make the game tick. It does indeed look a lot like Fallout 3 inside Fallout 4. Observe:

You know, I had thought “But Fallout 3 basically looks like this” then I checked and no, no it does not. Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind. While FO3’s sickly green tinge is gone, by the way, the team have talked about “experimenting with” Fallout 4’s weather options to still instil a grime tone.

The latest dev blog post, from earlier this month, gives an update on progress.

“At least 40% of the wasteland has been painstakingly recreated by the team,” they say. “The scripting team has finished some key quests from Fallout 3 as well including The Wasteland Survival Guide and Following In His Footsteps.” The latter is what we see in this video.

The mod team, named Road To Liberty, are also using this video to drum up interest on a recruitment drive.

“If you’re a 3D or 2D artist with experience in Autodesk Software (other programs accepted),” they say, “take a moment and think about joining the Road To Liberty Team to help blaze through this Fallout 3 remake faster!”

Speaking of remake mods, the Fallout 4: New Vegas modfolk have posted a few blog posts with progress updates and thoughts on reworking bits (they want to change weapon upgrades system). That mod is a lot earlier in development than Capital Wasteland, mind, having only officially started in August.

1. dangermouse76 says:

If they could build in a fov slider or increase the default a little that would be great. It’s pretty easy to change but a built in option would be a bonus.

Good luck to them on getting to the end.

2. TechnicalBen says:

Why? Graphics is not the limiting factor of the older or newer games. It’s gameplay. :/

• ReverendPhoenix says:

Usually I’m all for remakes but I agree, why remake Fallout 3? The visual fidelity jump does not seem worth the time investment. If you are remaking the models from scratch anyway why not remake the original Fallout or Fallout 2, something we have not seen in full 3D before? Even New Vegas would have been a better choice as it is a more refined and focused version of 3 to begin with. Its just such an odd choice.

• brucethemoose says:

A: Transitioning from 3D to 3D is probably easier than 2D to 3D, as not everything has to be crafted from scratch.

B: I bet there’s some crossover with the tools already developed and used for Skywind, which in turn inherited some experience from Morroblivion development.

C: If there was enough interest, there would be such a FO/FO2 project… I guess FO3 was just a more popular game, so it has a wider pool of people who are feeling nostalgic about it than the older Fallouts.

• Vitz says:

The gameplay in Fallout 4 is much, MUCH better than Fallout 3/New Vegas. VATS felt like a necessity in those games due to how crappy the gunplay felt. I don’t even use it in Fallout 4 because it hardly gives you an advantage.

So that’s why. Also, it’s kind of become tradition for Bethesda games to be remade in their newer engines.

Also @ReverendPhoenix: New Vegas is getting a remake as well, made by a different team.

• napoleonic says:

VATS doesn’t get used much in FO4 because they massively nerfed it to turn the game into a dumb shooter. “Gunplay feel” should have no place in an RPG.

• dangermouse76 says:

That’s an interesting point of view. I thought VATS was pretty powerful and stopped actively using it – in non specific build playthroughs – to give me a challenge.

Deliverer plus all the VATS and critical bonuses, along with the full upgrade of the gun made it a potent weapon. Once you had the Gauss rifle plus and strong VATS build a sense of challenge almost dissapeared unless placed self imposed limits on yourself – which is a legit way to approach the game of course.

If anything I thought VATS “dumbed” the game down. Saying that a pure VATS play through is still really good fun, just makes the game very easy quite quickly.

• Asurmen says:

Sorry, why does “gunplay feel” have no place in an RPG? Unless you’re one of those “RPG = stats/abstraction” sorts of people which is daft.

• HiroTheProtagonist says:

>“RPG = stats/abstraction” sorts of people which is daft.

Without stats/abstraction all you’re left with is a barebones dungeon crawl with gameplay that’s generally worse than the other genres it’s aping. Fallout 4 did away with almost all the complexity of New Vegas to allow for smoother gunplay, but it still feels worse than most pure FPS titles without compensating for the lack of RPG elements inherent to the series. I will admit that 3 was a bit clunky, but New Vegas managed to fix up the iron sight system to the point that you could reliably play without VATS and without sacrificing the RPG abstraction bits.

tldr; Fallout 4 sacrificed the RPG portion of the game to chase FPS fans and ended up worse off for it.

• Asurmen says:

Which is fine, but not the point I’m making which isn’t specifically about FO4.

• Sandepande says:

Fallout 4 is full of stats. The majority of the system is still in there, albeit hidden behind perks – it just didn’t get used all that much, but New Vegas as well as FO3 had the exact same way of dealing with RPG-style challenges: have enough Speech/Barter/Intelligence and you’d succeed. FO4 mostly just used Charisma (and the results were not binary, unlike in FO3 and NV).

Fallout 4’s lack of RPG is mostly focused on the writing and quest design side of things, the system supports all sorts of different characters.

• malkav11 says:

An RPG should be about the character’s abilities, not the player’s (insofar as that can be achieved, certainly). Making combat about the player’s twitch skills drastically decreases the impact of the character and can render a supposedly badass gunslinger a wild-firing incompetent because the player is. It’s pretty antithetical to the supposed purpose of the genre.

None of which is to say that Fallout 4 isn’t a CRPG, because it clearly is. It’s just detrimental to have made its combat so twitch-heavy.

• Vitz says:

““Gunplay feel” should have no place in an RPG.”

Seriously dude? What are you even trying to say here? That they should have just made the same game but with crappier gameplay? Because contrary to popular belief, that is not the reason Fallout 4 fails as an RPG. It’s the oversimplified skill system and mediocre writing.

• Love Albatross says:

“Also, it’s kind of become tradition for Bethesda games to be remade in their newer engines.”

Well, kind of. It’s a tradition for it to be attempted, but no one has managed to finish anything yet.

• Vitz says:

Morroblivion is completely playable from start to finish. It’s not bug-free, but it’s not like stuff is missing. Also, the teams currently working on these remakes from Bethesda games are impressive. Especially the Skywind and Skyblivion (hate that name) developers are highly organised. The Skyrim modding scene is possibly the largest ever, so there’s a lot more people available to work on these projects. Then there’s also the SureAI guys that made Nehrim and Enderal. Not remakes, but full-sized games running in the Oblivion and Skyrim engines.

The only one I’m a bit worried about is the New Vegas team. Not because of recent developments, because they’ve been extremely active and have released several small mods that will be part of the finished product, but more because it’s a relatively young project and New Vegas is much larger than Fallout 3, way more complex, and they’re much less far along.

• malkav11 says:

I’d say the reverse. I’ve still not managed to get more than 15 hours into Fallout 4 and I’ve spent several times that between 3 and New Vegas, just as tracked by Steam (I played a fair amount of 3 before it ever came to Steam, so the numbers don’t match up). Granted, I’m meaningfully offput by the huge emphasis on the horribly designed crafting and settlement systems (with attendant massively botched UI) and the truncated conversations, both of which might well be addressed by a Fallout 3 conversion mod. But I’m also struggling with the combat, which is far too reflex oriented and lethal for my tastes, especially in a supposed RPG.

It sure is pretty, though!

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

1. As Vitz mentioned, Fallout 4 is a pretty significant upgrade from 3 in terms of gameplay, but also,

2. Fallout 4 is a *massive* upgrade on 3 in terms of visuals, and if I’m gonna be spending dozens of hours running around some virtual world, I’d rather it be an attractive one, but also,

3. Attempting to remake the second-most recent installment of a Bethesda franchise within the engine of the most recent installment is a tradition that will probably continue for as long as the studio exists, regardless of advisability.

• PancakeWizard says:

With respect, I think NEITHER are the factor. All it would take is for Bethesda to fix Fallout 3 so it works decently on post-Windows XP PCs, add some more graphics scaling options for modern hardware and integrate the DLC in a proper way instead of pop-up quest markers when you exit Vault 101. That’s literally all it would take to get me to play it again. Fallout 3 was a little disappointing in many aspects considering the old games, but it was still a million times better than Fallout 4. I’d love to go back to exploring the Capital Wasteland (It was more than a little influenced by the STALKER games for sure, which is what I think keeps pulling me back towards it).

Drib says:

I’m still expecting that they’ll get this like 90% done and then Zenimax will wake up, roll over, and squash them.

Because I’m a pessimistic jerk, I guess.

• pookie101 says:

Unless they are directly getting permission to make it they are still pirating the audio from FO3 for their project.

Something Companies tend to spank people for and not in a fun way

• Gilgameshclone says:

I don’t know how the team is dealing with that issue in this case, but usually with a mod like this you get around things like copyrighted audio by simply not including the audio with the mod, Instead instructing the player to copy-paste some files from an installed copy of FO3.

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Unless they are really clueless they’ll probably end up handling it the way Tale of Two Wastelands did it’s use of a fairly gigantic pile of Fallout 3 assets:

The devs didn’t actually distribute those, they distributed a little utility that you pointed at a Fallout 3 install on your computer and it proceeded to copy (and where necessary patch) assets from there into the final mod package.

It’s not clear whether or not an end user doing that would prevail if Bethesda challenged them; but going after end users is harder and more pointless than going after distributors, and this arrangement kept the mod authors’ hands 100% clean(and made the download vastly smaller).

Distributing a soundless version with a “provide location of fallout 3 install” option that enabled audio would not be impractical.

• Vitz says:

These projects always receive Bethesda’s blessing. The general rule is that the player must own both games and have them installed. An installer then transfers the required assets (just audio, usually) from the old game to the new one. There’s no illegal distribution involved and some of these teams are even going as far as forcing a check on the .exe files to make sure it’s a legit install and not just a downloaded audio pack you got from a friend.

Not saying it’s foolproof, but all the responsibility lies with the end user so it’s all nice and legal on the dev side.

4. Biggus_Dikkus says:

ok then

5. Dominic Tarason says:

Y’know what? I’d love to see a Terminator: Future Shock/Skynet remake done in the Fallout 4 engine. It’d be perfect for it, too! Hell, half the post-apocalyptic prefabs could be recycled. Just need to scrub the retro-future aesthetic.

• PancakeWizard says:

Well, surely it’d be better to replace it with a more appropriate retro-future aesthetic. ie. not 50s-retro future, 80’s retro future ala Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

6. criskywalker says:

As much as I loved Fallout 3 back then I’m not sure I would enjoy playing it again, although the better graphics could convince me.

7. Shigawire says:

To be fair, Fallout 4 looks a lot like Fallout 4 in Fallout 3. :p

8. teamcharlie says:

Assuming that this is all a conspiracy to get a kid dying of cancer his lifelong wish of a Cease and Desist order from Zenimax’s lawyers, I support this project wholeheartedly.

Otherwise, I’ll probably ignore this mod even if the thing does eventually get released. I already happily played through hundreds of hours of Fallout 3 when it came out. It was great fun, the story was kinda bland, and I can’t think of an itch the main game game scratched that Fallout 4 doesn’t in my opinion do better anyway.

I imagine I’m not the only person who feels this way.

That being said, the DLC for Fallout 3 were neat. If somebody put Operation: Anchorage or Mothership Zeta into Fallout 4’s campaign, without me having to create a completely new character, I would be 100% down.

9. dtbahoney says:

Wouldn’t it be “capitol”?

10. derpius says:

i can’t understand for the life of me why anyone could ever possibly feel nostalgic enough for fallout 3 to remake it in 4’s engine. the game just frankly wasn’t that good, especially viewed through the lens of its predecessors.

• Vitz says:

What’s not to understand? The game’s overall massive popularity and the fact that this mod exists should explain it all.

• brucethemoose says:

Indeed, this mod’s existence is proof that alot of people love FO3. You need a massive pool of fans to draw from for something like this to take off, much less sustain itself without burning out (like it has so far).

Comment on this story