Conquer the galaxy over lunch in Space Tyrant, out now

Space Tyrant

As much as I love the 4X genre when it can get its hooks into me, getting into the swing of a grand campaign takes some doing for me. There’s always this looming sense of ennui that there’s no end in sight, and all my actions feel like raindrops in a vast sea of stars.

Space Tyrant, the latest from Blue Wizard Digital (they of murder-puzzler Slayaway Camp) seems an enticing prospect, then, offering lunch-break scale chunks of 4X strategy gameplay, but spanning a lengthy multi-mission campaign. Oh, and it launched on Steam last week after a lengthy Early Access stint. That seems relevant.

The accelerated pace of Space Tyrant’s gameplay is explained away by it’s title. You’re not a plucky little Federation-esque force, spreading tentatively across the stars, but a would-be Ming the Merciless, kicking over entire civilizations, enslaving those who surrender and vaporizing the worlds of anyone who doesn’t. Best practice your mustache-twirling, then.

While individual conquests promise to be short enough to cut through before your lunch break is over, the overall structure looks to be a little more ambitious in its scope, with you escalating through multiple campaigns, each one centered around leading another race of subservient minions to victory against an irritatingly benevolent galactic government.

You start off commanding a horde of angry cyborg space-rabbits, settle into your throne as emperor of a race of swarming bee-like insectoids, and eventually putting the weird-sounding Techno Slugs under your thrall, each race putting their own spin on the gameplay.

Alec took a look at the game a ways back, and was rather impressed with how smart and involved it manages to be despite condensing its individual conquests into half-hour-or-less nuggets of villainy. He had nothing but good things to say about Space Tyrant back then (except for some side-eyeing at some of the more meme-laden humor) so it seems relatively safe to assume the final game is even better.

Space Tyrant is available via Steam now for £11/$16.

1. ThTa says:

So did they just wipe the old trailer off the face of the Earth galaxy? I think I liked that one more than the new release trailer. (It used the same music and gags, but seemed to have been edited a fair bit better. At the very least, I don’t think it had that many jittery panning shots.)

2. bluewizard says:

Wow, so weird, that’s the first time anyone’s noticed the difference. The old trailer is probably around somewhere, but we wanted to update it with some more cinematic stuff, press quotes, etc. We took the older trailer down to avoid confusion.

• ThTa says:

Yeah, makes sense. Can’t say it helped much in terms of confusion, though, I was plenty confused as to why it seemed different until I found some older articles with broken embeds in them. :p

(Though the fact that it’s been uploaded recently, and you wouldn’t have had all those press quotes when it just launched in Early Access should’ve probably tipped me off.)

3. Vacuity729 says:

It’s not often that a game’s promotional video persuades me to buy the game, but that “Get killed by a space hamster” line, along with an actual space hamster slaughtering a fleet was very persuasive. Between this and the positive response from Alec, I think I’ve found my next purchase.

4. Someoldguy says:

This looks like the perfect panacea for how slow and dull the expansion phase of Stellaris has become with the 2.0 patch. Excellent.

5. Evan_ says:

I bough it for idle clicking evil mastermind pleasures, but stayed for a pressured, unforgiving ride that often forced me to chew down my leg that’s got stuck in a trap I never noticed stepping into.

That game has much more under the hood of silly, simplified, cartoony xenocide.

6. Siimon says:

My last 4x being Spaceward Ho! 4.0, is this game for me?
    Will I get frustrated with RNG?

(btw – parts of that trailer looked like it had very low framerate. Is that an issue with the game, or was that juts me?)

7. Aphex242 says:

I got this in early access and got SO FUCKING HOOKED. As of today I have 246 hours played on Steam. I adore this game. It’s really worth it – if you’re on the fence snap it up. It’s much deeper than you’d expect.