Thimbleweed Park DLC unbeeps Ransome the *Beeping* Clown

The Total War games have a tradition, so they can dodge the censors and get a lower age rating, of toning down the gore then releasing a big bucket of blood and mutilation as paid DLC. That way, teens still get to murder but adults can see the full consequences of murder. Now Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick’s retro point ‘n’ clicker Thimbleweed Park has seemingly followed suit. Well, with swearing, not decapitation. If you wish to hear Ransome the *Beeping* Clown swearing his teeth out, you may now pay $2 for DLC to remove the censoring beeps from his dialogue.

For £1.69/€1.99/$1.99, the Ransome *Unbeeped* DLC offers an unbeeped version of the clown’s voiced dialogue. He certainly was swearing in the recording booth. The subtitles keep the beeps, mind, so it’s only thine ears that will be offended. Listen:

That’s swearing; I’d know it anywhere. Ah, I don’t know, it seems less funny to me? I’ve been known to drop the odd oath or two myself but I do think beeping can be funnier, especially if dialogue is written with the intent of beeping out swears. Look at me on my high fucking horse.

You can find the DLC on Steam and GOG. I mean, I assume it’s to dodge age ratings, but I don’t know that. Maybe they just thought some people might like to buy cusses.

If you’ve not touched the game at all, check out our Adam’s Thimbleweed Park review.

For the record, my favourite beeped swearing is in Big Train’s Florence Nightingale sketch:

1. crazyd says:

Seems *beeping* *beepy* of them to charge money for this. Seems like the kind of thing that should just be a *beeping* setting in Options.

(If you pay me $2, I’ll send you a version of this post with swears)

• Baines says:

I guess Terrible Toybox decided to follow in the footsteps of Creative Assembly, which for years has been selling “uncensored” blood as separate paid DLC.

• April March says:

I imagine that the version of that post with swears is “Seems bloody gutsy of them to charge money for this. Seems like the kind of thing that should just be a flippin’ setting in Options, and I swear you’re a nitwit.”

• ThePuzzler says:

I think if it’s a built-in option, then it gives the game an Adult certification.

Not that this really justifies the price.

• Mr Underhill says:

From Ron’s blog:

“It’s a little depressing that a few people are actually upset that we’re charging $1.99 for this. Making this wasn’t free. It took a lot of work. Programming, testing, audio editing, etc. It feels like people think it was just copying a bunch of audio files over. I’ve always objected to DLC that was made at the same time as the game and all they do is flip a bit. This is not that kind of DLC. The code to make this work was not written until just a few months ago. We had the idea of MAYBE doing this DLC during the development, but none of the work was done.

We’ve released two MAJOR updates for FREE since launch, so I think we deserve to try and recover some of our costs. It sometimes feels like people expect game devs to make games for free. This is my livelihood. I use it to pay my rent and buy food. Game pricing is completely screwed up, it’s why you see predatory free-to-play games and loot boxes.”

My personal take on this: it’s two fucking dollars, dude.

• Alberto says:

He had the golden opportunity of saying “it’s two *beeeeep*ing dollars”. He must be truly upset if he let that pass.

2. Halk says:

And they couldn’t even be bothered to edit the subtitles?

3. IcyBee says:

No – this is the best beeped swearing sketch

4. fuggles says:

“My name… Is Ransome.”

There can be only one. This is not it.

5. lancelot says:

seems less funny to me

Nothing to worry about, the game never was funny to begin with. Nor did it have a convincing setting that could be negatively affected by the changes.

That’s the problem with TP really: if someone has been away from adventure games for a while and decides to give this one a go, he’ll walk away convinced that they are still just collections of random ideas and random puzzles scattered around the locations, no less absurd and incoherent than they used to be.

• Stillquest says:

I see your point, but I’d argue that’s because these old, random-ideas/random-puzzles adventure games is basically what TP is all about, and that’s all I can say without going into spoiler territory.

BTW, high-concept games of this sort usually don’t really work for me. This one did.

6. Kollega says:

Removing the censor bleeps in a comedy game is, indeed, missing the point in a major way. Brütal Legend once put it best: “it’s funnier if you bleep it out”.

7. criskywalker says:

I take paying $2 like a joke and a way to support the developers, which they surely deserve. It is a great game!

8. unraveler says:

The GOG link leads to the Steam page.

Comment on this story