Euro Truck Simulator 2 off to the Baltic in next expansion

Euro Truck Simulator 2 developers SCS Software today announced a new expansion for their cheery truck ’em up, tentatively named Beyond The Baltic Sea. It will add new land to pootle around the Baltic sea, with the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, along with a chunk of Russia through to Saint Petersburg and a sliver of southern Finland. The expansion is still a way away but that just gives plenty of time to plan your honking holiday.

“It’s quite a lot of ground to cover with unique architecture, industry, and transport infrastructure; an area that will be very different from the rest of the world we have so far,” SCS Software said in today’s announcement. This map shows which areas they’re planning to add:

I’ve never been any of those places, so tell me: what’s it like? What should I expect and hope for?

SCS don’t even wager an estimate on when the expansion might launch, so probably don’t expect it for a fair while.

Over the pond, SCS are also working on Oregon for the next American Truck Simulator expansion. Once that’s done, the game will have most of the beautiful Route 101 which runs up along the west coast. I am certainly keen to drive that virtuaroute.

1. Chaoslord AJ says:

I’ve not been there either but there are some cool party locations some in the know say.

2. BaronKreight says:

You haven’t been to Saint Petersburg? You should visit it. Party locations and cheap vodka aside it’s a beautiful city with more than 300 bridges. It’s the northern capital of Russia.

3. Teebag says:

I am always impressed by the content they are adding to their aging game but I really wish they would provide an official VR support. The current support is unplayable so it defeats the dream of cruising from my cockpit.

• Pinballhouse says:

How is the cuurent support unplayable?? It runs fine on a GTX 1080. You just have to run Oculus debug tool and set Asynchronous Spacewarp to the correct setting else traffic will kind of slow down and speed up. Once that’s set it runs correctly.

4. fish99 says:

I’d like to see the UK redone so it has more than 3 roads and so the cities aren’t just industrial parks. Also a new engine and decent VR support.

5. DodgyG33za says:

A lot of the Baltic is pretty flat with birch forests. They have a good sprinkling of castles though. The Estonian castle at Narva on the Russian border is particularly interesting as it faces an equally impressive castle just the other side of the river in Russia. Close enough to fire cannons at each other. There is a bridge with a major border crossing at the foot of the castles, so I am guessing it will be included.

6. Andrew Kleiner says:

That’s actually interesting. I have never played Euro Truck Sim, but this time maybe I’ll give it a try. I’ve heard a lot about Saint Petersburg, about its bridges and architecture, never seen any of it myself though. I guess it’s kind of sad considering the fact that I live in Saint Petersburg.

• Evan_ says:

I can hardly imagine -any- less reliable and misleading source of getting to know a foreign city than driving trough it in [One of the Continents] Truck Simulator 2. That includes trying to visualize the city upon hearing it’s name.

It’s cool on the roads though, can’t say a word about the vast majority of the game.

Comment on this story