Parting is such sweet sorrow in Life Is Strange: Before The Storm’s bonus final chapter, Farewell, out now

Life Is Strange: Farewell

It’s time to say goodbye to Chloe and Max again, at least for a while. They’ve had their ups and down over the course of episodic adventure Life Is Strange and its prequel, and today they’re getting a final send-off in one extra episode, out now for owners of the Deluxe edition of Before The Storm.

Expect heartstrings to be tugged on with great gusto. While the stakes may be low this time around, heartbreak seems inevitable as the two childhood friends take one last adorably dorky walk down memory lane before they have to go their separate ways, as Max’s family moves away from Arcadia Bay.

Farewell isn’t just a tearful, bittersweet goodbye from one friend to another, but marks the end of Deck Nine Games’ run with Life Is Strange. The series is officially back in the hands of French studio Dontnod Entertainment, who are currently hard at work on an official sequel, as well as the somewhat grittier and more action-packed Vampyr.

Probably the best thing about Farewell is that it’s as much a reunion as a parting. Now that the voice actors strike is resolved, original lead duo Ashly Burch & Hannah Telle are reprising their roles as Chloe and Max. While this may cause a little bit of mental whiplash for those coming fresh off Before The Storm, it should be a pleasant return to form for those who grew to knew these characters in the original game.

Sadly, this bonus chapter is exclusive to the Deluxe Edition of the game. For those left out, you can buy the upgrade for a few quid, which comes with some extra upgrades such as a ‘mixtape mode’ that allows you to re-score scenes using music picked from the licensed soundtrack of the game, and a handful of alternate outfits for Chloe. All of this will be included in the new boxed edition of the game (physical media? how quaint), due for release on the 9th.

Farewell is out now for anyone with the Deluxe edition of Life Is Strange: Before The Storm. For those without the Deluxe edition, you can pick up the upgrade here.

1. StAUG says:

It blew me away how much I was able to relate to the two main games and enjoy them. As a 30’s-something guy that hates delinquent teens I thought this game wouldn’t be my cup of tea, but it was so good.

• Ragnar says:

I completely agree. I thought the first game was amazing, and got better as it went on – as if the devs got more experienced and comfortable.

I was waiting for the bonus episode to release before getting Before the Storm. Guess I should get on that now.

2. Carra says:

Sadly, this bonus chapter is exclusive to the Deluxe Edition of the game.

I bought the regular version so I’ll have to miss out on this…

This reminds me that I’ve bought it a few months ago but haven’t played it yet. I’ll start this evening, I loved the original Life is Strange.

3. bramble says:

I haven’t played either of these games yet. Should I play the prequel first, or is it best experienced in the order it was released?

• Ragnar says:

In the order of release. Start with Life is Strange, then play Before the Storm.

• Fenris90 says:

Actually, I’d say that you should play Life is strange: Before the storm – Farewell first. Because that’s basically the start.
      Then I’d play Life is Strange – Before the storm. Which takes place while Max is away, as far as I’ve understood it.
      And Life is Strange, the original game, takes place when Max returns to Arcadia Bay. So that’s the way I’d play it.

• Pendragon says:

Worst advice ever. I bet you tell people to watch the Star Wars prequels first…. Monster.

• Jack says:

I would say Fenris’s suggestion isn’t the worst thing to do but the main problem with picking this route is the fact that some original Life is Strange plot/spoilers get teased at the end of Before the Storm.
          However playing the bonus episode before playing the first game could be a good idea since you can kind of predict everything happening in the bonus episode if you play it last.

• Saaz says:

I would say release order. Yes, that’s out of chronological order, but BtS contains references to LiS that you’ll only get if you play LiS first. I think Farewell will also mean more to someone who has already played LiS.

mattmattmatty says:

In release order, without a doubt – the original game was written without any prequels in mind, whereas Before the Storm was (I would argue) really written with the fans in mind, and it’s best to enjoy these things as the creators intended, IMO.

Comment on this story