Far Cry 5’s map editor includes bits from Assassin’s Creed and Watch Dogs

The Far Cry 5 map editor will include bits and pieces from other Ubisoft games, Ubi announced today, which should let players create places far beyond rural America – and the modern day. A number of assets from Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, the prehistoric Far Cry Primal, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (the pirate one), and Assassin’s Creed Unity (the French one) will be thrown in. I’m so up for building a Virtuaparis monster truck obstacle course. It sounds like Ubisoft are planning to make a real go of player-made maps, building around them something they call the Far Cry Arcade.

The editor will support creating maps for singleplayer, cooperative, and competitive play, across a number of modes. As is customary for the series, Far Cry 5’s map editor is a friendly-looking tool which lets players sculpt terrain then plonk prefab objects down. It may not be as complex as Hammer or UEd but on the bright side, it’s not as complex as Hammer or UEd.

It’ll have over 9000 objects, which Ubisoft say is more than any other Far Cry editor. More items will arrive over time too. Ubi are planning to release at least six updates bringing new objects, including bits from Far Cry 5’s add-ons. When the paid DLCs are released, Ubi will roll their bits out to the editor, which might prove interesting considering the packs trip across the Vietnam War, zombie B movies, and fighting spiders on Mars.

Ubi are building the editor into an ecosystem they call Far Cry Arcade. It’ll include a website listing maps, profiles, and other Steam Workship-ish doodads. Ubisoft plan to release new maps of their own onto it too, as well as holding weekly Arcade events.

Folks from the Ian Games Network have played a bit, returning with videos of maps from crateyard shootyshots to labyrinthine walk-o-horror. The Arcade’s built in bleepybloopy faux-retro framing menus and sound effects are weird on a map that’s not about shooting people in the face.

I’ve often shouted in the RPS treehouse that Ubisoft should do more with all the art assets they carefully create for their sandbox iconathons then ditch by the next year, so this sounds jolly sensible.

Far Cry 5 is due out on March 27th. Oh, and I guess this other new trailer shows some of the paid DLC coming after that:

Drib says:

Well this is nice to see. A major company realizing that player ingenuity and decent tools are far better for adding longevity to a game than just more DLC and paper-thin multiplayer.

A+, Ubisoft.

• Grizzly says:

Far Cry 2 and 3 (and possibly 4, but I haven’t played that one) did already support custom maps. That’s in no small part what made Far Cry 2 fun for me and my brothers, so I’m very, very happy that there’s SP support too now!

• April March says:

Yes, I think all Far Cry games since them had it, but I don’t think any of them had it to the extent this video promises. It will apparently allow players to create anything from deathmatch arenas to brand new single player campaigns. It does mention these will be ‘bite-sized’ experiences, so I wonder if these levels will be artificially limited, but there’s reason to remain optimistic.

2. Grizzly says:

Oooh, this seems really cool, especially since there are also maps for single player and co-op play. I hope this is picked up upon.

Aerothorn says:

I really liked that I didn’t have to shoot animals in the first Far Cry :(

(And before someone comes in here with “BUT YOU’RE OKAY SHOOTING HUMANS!?!?,” I am not making an argument, just stating a preference.)

• pookie101 says:

It annoyed me about FC3.. Sure mr hero person have a state of the art assault rifle for free but you will need to go out and murder an endangered species to make a backpack because no one on the entire island has mastered the ability to make a bag

phuzz says:

Is it because they’re bipedal? What about gorillas? Or a dog walking on it’s hind legs? Or a bird? What about snakes or fish?
      Would you shoot a person in a fury suit?
      And in the game?

4. LewdPenguin says:

I wonder how long it’s going to be before people realise/write about that “Insert Coin” button on the front of the Ubicade actually being not only functional but required to access the content within.

Also Alice you seem to have a free range ‘W’ roaming around that first paragrapth.

5. Nauallis says:

I am especially excited about the assets from “atch Dogs” and “WAssassins Creed.”

6. Spacewalk says:

Is this Ubisoft finally admitting that the only thing that differentiates each their games is the setting?

7. PiiSmith says:

Maybe bow you can build your own Assassins Creed or Watch Dogs or *insert random Ubisoft tower explore game* with this editor. ;)

• Travistech says:

Interestingly enough, some of the info we’ve gleaned from the preview footage is indicating that they’ve abandoned towers. Now you just get more map data and new activities by exploring organically. I think they realized how pointless the towers were once they added the gyros in 4, and you could literally just land one on the top floor, hit the button, and molotov any posters on the tower as you left. Also, the prize for doing this trivial task was insane. The buzzsaw was the most stupidly overpowered endgame gun I’ve ever seen, and you basically only had to buy ammo for it like three times unless you were a bad shot.