The boys are back! Final Fantasy XV released on PC

Guess who just got back today? Them wild-eyed boys that had been away. Fifteen months after starting their journey on console, the anime boyband road trip stag party of Final Fantasy XV have finally arrived on PC. It’s out now. The boys are back in town.

We’ve only just got the game ourselves so our review will take a while, though I’m sure we’ll have plenty of shorter things to say soon.

The boys have picked up some shiny new bits on their journey to PC, picking up 4K support, mod tools, a yacht, a first-person camera option, and weird costumes including Gordon Freeman’s HEV suit.

I talk a lot about boybands, road trips, and lavishly-recreated dinners but I suppose I should also mention that FFXV is also an open-world RPG about a prince questing to save his kingdom and the world and all that by fighting baddies and monsters in real-time action, for those weirdos who are more interested in that stuff than camping.

FFXV does have a demo so you can try the game for yourself. Or if you need a little more persuasion to try that in the first place, check out Katharine’s preview.

Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition is available now for £35/€50/$50 from Steam, Origin (which offers terrifying Sims outfits instead of the HEV suit), and the Microsoft Store (offering nothing in its place).

1. Kyuurei says:

Demo was a bit jenky, poorly optimized and lacked many options (like borderless windows). I hope those issues are fixed in the release version, I’m going to hold on to my money until the reviews are out

• DanMan says:

Yeah, I had serious problems with the 5.1 audio. It was all distorted and deafening loud AF. Unplayable unless put into stereo mode. Fullscreen was problematic, too. If you then top it off with the Win10-exclusive HDR… I’m not amused.

• SBLux says:

I was really excited for this but I encountered immediate and persistent janky animation problems and then my computer hung completely, forcing me to use the reset button.

I am not excited about it anymore.

2. Yachmenev says:

The boy did indeed pick up some new stuff on PC, like a new shiny DRM in Denuvo, that furthers it grip on our purchases. Something still being ignored by RPS, which is a shame.

• rmsgrey says:

Yeah, I’m saving my money on XII and XV for PC until Denuvo gets dropped from them.

Apparently if I wanted to, I could have picked the game up for free, before release, which may be a new record for a Denuvo-protected game…

• Nihilexistentialist says:

Have you considered that RPS, much like your average person, doesn’t care at all? Especially for a game like this that is only available on DRM platforms to begin with just like most other games.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

phuzz says:

If there’s an easy option which doesn’t have DRM then I’ll go for it, but really I don’t care that much. I suspect a lot of other RPS readers think the same.

• Yachmenev says:

The issue is why they don’t care. That they don’t care is not something that you need to point out, it’s obvious.

• Zombiwan Kenobi says:

Your average person doesn’t care about your opinion either, that doesn’t mean you can’t express it or make it less relevant.

For my part i’m much more concerned by the lack of fun i’ve had playing this last FF opus than any DRM it could have, or not – Designing a RPG just like any generic boring MMO is quite popular these days, and just like ME Andromeda it only leads to terrible gameplay, poorly designed, full of cliches and characters with the charisma of dead oysters.

Fancy clothes and weird haircuts don’t make a good character, something that japanese designers are fond of though. I even care much about DRMs than the actual fate of this boring boy’s band in this walk/drive simulator of a game.

3. suibhne says:

The demo actively turned me off the game. Performance is fine on my three-year-old rig, but sheesh, the interface is *awful*. I haven’t played a console version, but the PC version looks like nothing must’ve changed. Even with the 25% launch discount at some sites, I’m not inclined to give money to this kind of effort.

4. tomimt says:

I haven’t really managed to get any FF game since IX. That was the last in the series that managed to hold my interest but after that, the games turned into something that just didn’t mesh with me anymore. The sense of freedom the previous games had was lost and all I could see in them was a hollow attempt at someone trying to tug the right strings by playing similar chords but in uninspired order.

How is XV? The same as the later game or more like the older ones?

• geldonyetich says:

How is XV? The same as the later game or more like the older ones?

Wholly its own thing, actually. More like Kingdom Hearts, remove Disney, add way better graphics and an open world.

Contrary to the negativity you see earlier in this comment thread, I’ve been having a blast. Chances are most of the players who like this game are playing it right now.

• jman420 says:

I have it on xbox. Its an okay game honestly. After the first few levels or chapters the game opens up a lot more. I have not played it on computer however.
      I found the combat system a pain in the ass though. Once you get the hang of it you can do just fine, however, I put the game down for a while and that is really one of the big reasons I haven’t picked it back up again. Its unlike any other ff games I remember in that sense.

5. racccoon says:

Can not play at all yet, Pc is just too low, crazy that it is, so I’m in the extremely slow process of buying expensive pc parts caused from the you know whats. :(

6. malkav11 says:

Whatever else FFXV may be it is stunningly gorgeous at 4K with a pile of bells and whistles added on.

Comment on this story