This Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds fan concept for a Scandinavian map is wild

We know that a third map is officially in development for Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, but we don’t know much beyond that. Where will it be set? What sort of landscape? Which unique quirks will it have? And vehicles, and weapons? One Swede has made his case for a snowy Scandinavian map with an impressive concept called Nördheim, overflowing with ideas from blizzard hazards and breakable thin ice to hovercraft and traces of a black metal gig. As fan concepts go, it’s real fancy.

Pitch fella Nils Westgårdh, who’s a professional art director, tells us he and a pal had the idea for a Scandinavian map together then he spent over 100 hours putting the concept together. I used to just sketch ideas on torn-out maths exercise book pages but he made a whole chuffing website.

Nördheim is a comprehensive concept. It considers every aspect of what makes Plunkbat maps distinct, then gives it a Scandinavian twist. Obviously there are forests, mountains, an airport, a shipyard, and other obvious Plunkbits, but it also nicely reflects more-modern elements of Scandinavia. Wooden churches and ski resorts sit alongside a data center and an Ikea. One spot is a seed vault, like the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in Norway.

plunkbat-nordheim-map
(Click to embiggen.)

This land of mountains and ice fields would bring new threats. Cold water would reduce how long players could stay submerged. Thin ice would offer opportunities, supporting players on foot and in lighter vehicles, but could be destroyed beneath you. Blood trails would linger for a minute, so we could track wounded players (that feature actually appears in the upcoming Mavericks: Proving Grounds). And the red zone circle of bombdeath would be replaced with blizzards seriously reducing visibility and making a heck of a noise.

I’ve been sorry to see Plunkbat remove most of its map variants, taking out the foggy and rainy versions of Erangel when the game hit version 1.0, so I’m glad to see them considered here. Along with clear days and purple sunrises, the concept suggests light snow reducing visibility past 200 metres and nights lit up green by the aurora borealis.

And then Nördheim suggests vehicles from snowmobiles to an all-terrain truck like the Volvo C303, guns from European manufacturers, and of course a crate of Nordic cosmetics.

It’s jolly impressive. I have enjoyed looking at this and daydreaming about the idea.

If I were to callously treat this as a serious development pitch, the main criticism I’d have is that it perhaps dreams too big for Plunkbat, with a number of landmarks that are too unique and systems which deviate too much from the standard formula. As much as I like the game, it just isn’t this fancy. And some bits are technologically overambitious for a game still struggling with client and server performance. But it’s a dream of a map, not a business pitch, and it’s a dream I like. Dream big, baby!

1. Zorgulon says:

I haven’t played a second of Plunkbat, but that is one hell of a gorgeous concept.

2. chuckieegg says:

Plunkbits :)

3. jellydonut says:

I like how the use of the gratuitous umlaut leads to the place being aptly pronounced ‘Nerdheim’.

• podbaydoors says:

With a name like Nils Westgårdh, I’d suspect the designer knew what he was doing with that umlaut.

Earl-Grey says:

His gratuitous umlauting reveals him to be a Swede.
        Sadly, Swedes can’t be trusted to sit the right way on tiolet seats.

Hah, just a little friendly, good-natured, neighbourly, festering, etarnal hatred there.

• Lars Westergren says:

But really, what is a bit of annexation and colonization among neighbours? We’re all good friends here. Goood……frieeends.

Earl-Grey says:

Indeed.
            I’ve always fancied a holiday home down on the South-Western coast.
            Ha. Ha. Just being friendly.

• Eastman says:

I think you are thinking of what is called “metal umlaut”, like Motörhead and Stargåte :)

In this case it’s not gratuitous since “nörd” is Swedish for “nerd”, so it’s more a punny play on words, with meaning.

4. DoomBroom says:

Oh I know this place! The fjords the mountains… It’s where I live.

5. Jacob52202 says:

there was a possible leak of it being a island in the Adriatic Sea being snowy and foresty,

6. Jacob52202 says:

a good idea for a map would be venice, where instead of roads and shit its all canals and side walks itd be full of action the only issue is the circl;es :/

7. Syt says:

“(Click to embiggen.)”

Someone’s been following Merriam Webster’s Twitter. ;)

link to twitter.com

8. Lars Westergren says:

Some references and in-jokes –

Datacenter – Iceland has several of these, they have natural cooling.

Drömhack – the Dreamhack digital “festival”.

Feskebyn – “The Fishing Village”

Knugen naval base – The king of Sweden is dyslexic and wrote “knug” instead of “kung” decades ago, so to some people he is affectionately known as Knugen.

The ski resort – most of the pictures are from Åre link to skistar.com

The plane crash – he missed an opportunity here, it’s a passenger plane instead of JAS Gripen.

phuzz says:

Awww! The king of Sweden is now my favourite monarch. Suck it Liz!

9. lglethal says:

Hell forget the map and everything in it, lets just have a battle royale in an IKEA store!
    They’re definitely big enough, with enough furniture and cover and “rooms” for big fights. Split over two levels and filled with all sorts of goodies (admittedly not normally weapons around here, but I guess we can pretend its in the US, where, if I understand US customs correctly, every store is required by law to carry and sell guns), it could all work.

Right I’m off to go pitch this to Player Unknown…