Oh rats! Warhammer: Vermintide 2 released

When visiting a fantasy world, it’s important to remember subtle but important cultural differences. To us, “Oh rats!” is an innocent folksy curse. In the world of Warhammer, shout that and you’ll rightly be punched in the teeth by a line of people for: 1) causing a panic; 2) reminding them of when the verminous horde of the Horned Rat butchered their ma. Bear this in mind for today’s launch of Warhammer: Vermintide 2, the sequel to 2015’s ‘Left 4 Dead but with ratmen’ cooperative first-person smash-o-shooter.

Once again, hordes of Skaven ratmen are scurrying all over the world of Warhammer – and this time they’ve teamed up with other forces of Chaos. That means more, and different, enemies for us to murder through. The adventure goes beyond cities this time too.

Vermintide is still class-based, with five fantasy folks who have their own weapons and skills: an Empire Soldier; a Witch Hunter; an elven Waywatcher; a Dwarf Ranger; and a Bright Wizard. Each has three subclasses, bending them in quite different directions. So off you all go, you merry band of fantasy warriors, murdering through gauntlet levels while getting loot and levelling up through persistent progress along the way.

While the game is clearly intended for online co-op multiplayer, you can play on your tod if you want.

Vermintide 2 is out now on Steam for £23/€28/$30, made by Fatshark. I know several of us at RPS are already downloading it, so we’ll have to see if we can overcome the ghost of Kieron Gillen to tell you more about murdering Skaven.

1. Grizzly says:

It’s not actually released yet, the announcement just got out too early.

2. snubber says:

Currently on sale at Fanatical (formerly BundleStars) for $22.49 USD:

link to fanatical.com

EDIT: Just noticed the sale there expires in 48 mins!

3. Turkey says:

I can’t believe they made a sequel to Bad Rats.

4. GernauMorat says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the beta. Would recommend it

5. BaronKreight says:

I wouldn’t recommend it. Buggy, no dedicated servers. They made very little changes compared to the first game, ignored community feedback and basically repeated the same mistakes. What this game has is a Warhammer atmosphere but it’s an example of priority of form over substence. Nice graphics, nice presentation, nice voice acting.

• felis says:

You must have played a different beta from the one I played. Little changes? No substance?

• riedlj says:

I kind of agree with this. The gameplay is fun, but not significantly different from the first game. The big problem for me came with disconnects where you lose connection to the host or other players. You might have played for half an hour through a level, get disconnected randomly and then get booted back to the beginning of the level or out completely with no reward. So it becomes a big time waster. It was also a big problem with the first game and it seems like the a problem with whatever multiplayer hosting they’re using.

• Calculon says:

Given I’m not a fan of the WH genre (love 40k however) but played the beta – I thought I would put my 2 cents in.

At first I thought it was pretty ‘meh’ to be honest and almost looked for a refund – however I gave it a second shot and really started to have a blast with it. It’s pretty visceral and quite challenging. I experienced some disconnect issues but not many – 95-98% of my games did not have connectivity issues.

My ‘complaints’ are two fold – 1) I don’t understand the difficulty – with some groups it was REALLY hard – and with others not so much – challenging but do-able. I’m guessing it has to do with the level of those I’m paired with?

2) Some of the accuracy needs to be re-worked and by that I mean the distance my sword reached was unexpected (farther than it should have). The combat didn’t feel overly ‘tight’ and it seemed more generous to me than it should be. This however may be a factor of me being on the lowest level – I’m not sure.

To sum it up – it’s pretty darn fun – but I wouldn’t take it too seriously. It’s one of those games you load up for an hour of entertainment rather than a super skill e-sports game you want to be competitive at. It’s worth the money imo

• zaphod42 says:

>I’m guessing it has to do with the level of those I’m paired with?

Its a co-op game so it really depends upon how well you co-operate. Some people act like lone wolves who don’t care about each other and… you’re gonna die.

That’s how Left4Dead was too. You die real real fast if you go solo.

• Servicemaster says:

FAKE NEWS, BARON! The Official Vermintide site itself says there are dedicated servers if you scroll to the very bottom of the page.

• mmandthetat says:

Don’t listen to BaronKreight. They’ve made key changes where it counts and they do have dedicated servers. It’s not a reinvention of the wheel, but that’s better than sinking the franchise by going in a brand new direction that no one likes (hello, Dawn of War).

And the gameplay, as with the first, is extremely deep with a vast skill ceiling.

Basically everything he said is objectively wrong.

Kill kill.

• sunToxx says:

Buggy? How? Not seen anything the past 30 hours.

Very little changes? Must be joking? The game has been improved in all aspects compared to Vermintide 1. Sorry that your suggestions on the forum have been ignored. What did you suggest?

The game basically beats Left 4 Dead by a large margin. Not being a fan of Warhammer Universe or knowing any lore, all I can say is, the game is spot on.

6. racccoon says:

One good note in 2018, its extremely good to see new “A” game prices at reasonable good prices from the bat. :)
    Silly consoles can have there 100 ++ game prices

7. zaphod42 says:

I’m disappointed there’s no new classes.