What are we all playing this weekend?

I don’t have anything fancy to say for this week’s preamble.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on!

Adam: Adam is on holiday! Good for him.
Alec: I’m supposed to be playing whack-a-rat in Vermintide 2, but I still have a couple of pilots left to find in Into The Breach, so let’s not kid ourselves here, eh?
Alice: I’ve just got my first Yakuza game and am very excited to sing karaoke, hit salarymen with bicycles, and be kind to children, which I believe is what the series is about? I’m also being treated with a visit to B&Q, where I shall hang around the screw section and disapprovingly hiss in air as nervous young dads umming and ahhing over which type they need finally grab a pack. You’re going to put shelves up above your kiddy’s bed with 15mm zinc-plated woodscrews? Terrible mistake pet, terrible mistake.
Brendan: I am going to scoot about with the boyz in Final Fantasy XV. I’m going to a real stag party next weekend, so I have to practice my friendship skills. I might also finish cyberpunk bartending adventure The Red Strings Club, because there is intrigue I have not yet un-intrigued.
Graham: I’ll be hanging out with the boys of Final Fantasy XV. Everyone was right: the photography and the food make all the difference. I’ve been playing a bunch of JRPGs over the past month and most of them take so long to get going and build their cast and the world that I’ve normally stopped playing before it happens, but for some reason camping, toast and browsing photos has grounded me much faster in FFXV.
John: I’ve got a clear plate at the moment – a couple of games I’m reviewing, but trying to avoid work this weekend. I think it’ll be a games free weekend, this one. If there’s free time to be had, it’ll likely be spent with Jessica Jones.
Katharine: Now that the country hasn’t been ground to a halt because of 3cm of snow, this weekend is now full of all the wedding stuff I had to put off last week, namely actually getting my hoofin’ dress fitted. With lots of trains in my immediate future, I’ll most likely be passing the time with yet more Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on my Switch over the next few days, before returning to Final Fantasy XV for some more 4K toast action once it’s all over.
Matt: It’s another board gamey weekend for me. I’m headed to my normal fortnightly group on Friday, then to Lancaster for a whole day of the things with some uni friends. Hopefully I can some Vermintide 2 in in between.

I’ll also be playing Slay the Spire’s daily challenge mode.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Chaoslord AJ says:

It will be Path of Exile’s new beastiary league – the Pokemon concept always works though I’d expected something more climatic after killing gods previously and travelling the atlas of worlds.

Then FF 15 it is, watching Sword Art Online lately makes me hot for some good old fashioned JRPG grind.

syllopsium says:

Probably some Ultima Underworld, and a little I Expect You To Die, two games at opposite ends of the technology curve

3. StAUG says:

Life Is Strange, I’m apparently the one person alive that played the games chronologically instead of in release order.
    Orwell Ep2, when I get around to it. Rusty Lake Hotel was fun for it’s creepy vibe, even though it’s short and the puzzles are quite simple.

• elsparko says:

Thanks for the reminder. I actually have the bigger portion of Before the Storm still in front of me. Problem is I don’t want to play this when my GF is around as I fear having to explain why I (as a grown man) would want to assume the role of teenage girl coming of age and that NO it is not a “naughty game”.

• Kefren says:

That’s why I was concerned that Before The Storm reviews mentioned it revealing the ending of Life Is Strange. That sort of ruins things for people who want to play them chronologically (which is the kind of thing I like to do). Devs shouldn’t assume everyone “already knows”.

• mike69 says:

🤔 the purpose of a prequel isn’t to take the place of the first item in a series, that’s not how that works; the only chronology that’s important is the release date.

A well written prequel requires knowledge of what comes later, by design.

Would you also want to re-edit reverse-chronology films so they’re in order?

• malkav11 says:

I think the issue gets clouded by people doing one of my linguistic pet peeves: namely, using “prequel” to describe earlier works in a series despite that not being what prequel means. Prequel is, specifically, a sequel that takes place earlier in the chronology than the original work to which it is a sequel.

And so a true prequel will assume you’ve experienced the previous works in the series because why would you start with a sequel?

subdog says:

That’s what I’m doing too!

Ep. 2 of Orwell 2 and Ep. 1 of Before the Storm last night. Rest of BtS this weekend.

BtS is much better than I expected it to be. Some of the characters are a little more broadly written than I remember, and the voice acting can be pretty crazy bad in places, but the dialogue, visuals and new mechanics are all solid improvements over the original.

I have to say this was my least favorite Orwell episode yet. The time limit sucks (even if it’s not a hard limit), and so many important points seemed tied to the kind of irrelevant clues that your handler would have mocked you for uploading in season 1.

*light O2 spoiler*
      On top of that, you’re given a pretty repellant objective- go after two completely innocent people. And other than uploading nonsense to run out the clock, there didn’t seem to be a way to subvert that or turn it around on your handler like the previous season. The only way to move the story forward (that I could find) was to actually attack one of these people and ruin their lives. Weak.

4. elsparko says:

I hope to get through a large portion of Gothic 3’s desert area Varant. Somehow I tend to find deserts boring in open world settings. I guess that’s a good representation of real life deserts, ey?

OTOH FFXV is teasing me. I was going to ignore JPRGs for some time after Nier:Automata. This game destroyed JRPGs for me by objectively being the best there is and ever will be (until another Nier materializes in the future…). Still I somehow already put 5 hours into FFXV on the grounds of “let’s get a feel of how it plays”. Still I wish it would magically turn into another Nier:Automata. At least I can listen to Nier OSTs when driving the car with my band of Emos. Just like in real life…

• GameCat says:

I’m playing through Nier Automata right now and honestly I can’t remember when I was so disappointed with videogame. It’s just so medicore at every level except of music.

I’m glad I didn’t bought it for full price like I was planning to do, otherwise I would just refund it and buy Bayonetta 1 & 2 on Switch instead for my Platinum fix.

• elsparko says:

Well I had a similar opinion before finishing all essential endings of the game. Afterwards and after two days of reading up on lore and Yoko Taro interviews I finally “got it”.

I have to say don’t make the mistake of taking the game too serious. It is in a certain way a parody of video game mechanics.

• mike69 says:

So you need to play for dozens of hours, and then do additional background reading, and then you might find it enjoyable? How tempting!

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Strange I thought it was great. A little too much backtracking with grindquests for sure but style, story and gameplay-wise it was captivating.

• GameCat says:

Ok, it get much more interesting in C scenario.
        But why the fuck I’ve had to play for 22h to get to interesting bit. Jeez, open world games and sidequest should just die already. I demand better pacing in games.

5. FrancoBegbie says:

“In Celebration Of Violence” which is a slow-paced modern Roguelike with an emphasis on deliberate combat where timing is crucial.
    After 18 months of early access and already 160hrs played during that period, I still find stuff to do and things to figure out.
    It’s fully released now and I just wish more people gave it a chance – if anything, it’s ways too cheap at 8$/€ for what it offers.
    On steam, I have a pile of shame about 1300 games high, but this one’s the first (and probably last) I’ve ever felt compelled to write some guides for – it’s good.

• hijuisuis says:

Flippen eck.

Sold! This game looks amazing, just the kind of RL I’d sink a ton of hours into.

• caff says:

This game is incredible and I’m pleased someone else has mentioned it and fallen in love with it too.

I even emailed RPS about covering it because I think it’s a hidden classic that is top games of 2018 material, if not the last 5 years.

For me it draws on all the best games in the roguelike scene, mashed up with RPG stuff and top quality action. If I had to describe it, it would be like:

Teleglitch meets Death Road to Canada, meets ADOM, meets Dark Souls, meets Rogue Legacy, meets Diablo 2, meets Binding of Isaac. With it’s own unique charm.

Link: link to store.steampowered.com

6. Jerppa says:

Why hasn’t anyone been fired?

7. Sandepande says:

Island cottage with Jessica Jones, among others.

8. clockworkrat says:

Into The Breach of course. Finished on easy, now barely scraping past a second island on normal. All seems to be well, then I make one small mistake spirals out of control.

Good fun!

• Barts says:

I might need to play it on Easy then, too. I am currently sick and tried playing on Normal and it was very frustrating. I really like the game, but it kicks my butt so hard…

• sege says:

I gave up quickly and went for a easy mode playthrough. Sadly, easy mode is really a cake walk training type mode, so you will learn a little about the game etc, but i didn’t derive much satisfaction from it. There is a huge gulf between easy mode and normal. I need something in the middle of them. But I’ve bounced off it now anyway.

• mike69 says:

Yea as others have echoed easy is very easy.

That’s my only gripe, is that the difficulty doesn’t seem to have been done well. Easy is too easy, no challenge at all, normal is too hard and I’m struggling. I feel like I need a difficulty between the two.

9. Vacuity729 says:

After playing Order of Battle: World War II previously, I was bitten by the wargame bug and have been playing Panzer Corps and Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon. And then I started playing around with the game files to boot; creating my own personal version of the Armageddon campaign.

On the subject of Steam though; I discovered that I was missing a few more recent DLC for Panzer Corps. Steam has *never* let me know about these. They’ve never appeared in the popup window when Steam opens. They’ve never appeared on the front page. They’ve never appeared in my suggestion queue. Yet Steam still insists on pushing every popular game in my face until I specifically go to the effort of pushing the “Not Interested” button for that item.

This is stupid. There are products being released that, based on the game titles I own and play, I’m clearly going to be interested in, but Steam doesn’t bother telling me about them, so I don’t know they exist. But FPS shooters (of which I own very, very few, and play even those barely at all), MOBAs (never played), and suchlike are guaranteed a spot on my store frontpage and suggestion queue.

P.S. Why isn’t Adam fired?

• Sandepande says:

MMOs rule my suggestions, as if the combined 2400 hours or so in Bethesda’s open-world, purely singleplayer games didn’t matter…

• Vacuity729 says:

Ahh, but somewhere, you’ve spent time playing one or more games that have some kind of multiplayer component. Like maybe a co-op mode you’ve never sniffed at, or maybe the operating base missions (or whatever theyr’e called) in MGSV which you looked at and said “no, thanks.” Or perhaps one of the Total War titles, which the vast majority of people play exclusively single-player.

Therefore, every multiplayer-focused title that sells more than a couple of hundred copies must be presented to you over and over ad nauseum, and you have to specifically disavow interest in each and every one of those titles to stop them constantly popping up.

• malkav11 says:

Steam’s recommendation engine is nearly completely useless. Even if it worked purely off tags it might have some chance of being worthwhile (even though user-generated tags are not particularly reliable and working off a single tag at a time, especially things like “singleplayer” and “multiplayer” is not a particularly useful metric), but the thing that guarantees it will never be valuable is that it insists on presenting games to you simply because they are popular. That’s not the point of a personalized recommendation!

It certainly doesn’t help that I don’t align particularly well with the popular gaming zeitgeist (I mean, I’ll be into the big games in my chosen subgenres, usually, but in a broader sense, not so much) and indeed actively despise many of the most popular trends – e.g. early access survival sims, free to play MOBAs (or indeed any MOBA really), “battle royale” games that never offer any of the horror or social commentary of the stories that inspired them, etc. But even if I did have an interest in that stuff, why is it useful to show me the stuff everyone is already talking about?

• Vacuity729 says:

Well, I’m guessing that most regular RPS readers are more inclined towards games that are a little different and a little less inclined towards the huge-budget AAA titles overall, though I’m sure we’ve all enjoyed the odd AAA title here or there at some time in our life.

But you’re right; “we’re putting this title into your personal recommendations because it’s incredibly popular” is probably one of the most ridiculous aspects of the Steam recommendation algorithm. How could I not know that Plunkbat exists? If I’ve never played anything like Plunkbat before, why would you think I have any interest in it? This isn’t directly that annoying, it’s the realisation that there are titles I very clearly would like to know about that are being pushed aside because of this that makes me really annoyed.

10. Faldrath says:

I’m still Bloodbornin’ away, bloodbornin’ away, bloodbornin’ away… what a game. Such a shame it’s not on PC, it would sell really really well. If you missed the world building of Dark Souls 1 in its sequels, you’ll find it in Bloodborne.

• wcq says:

Bloodborne is pretty much the only reason I never regret picking up a PS4, even when there’s not too many attractive games besides it on the system if you’ve got a semi-decent PC. Such a good game.

• Minglefingler says:

Just killed Amelia with a new character. Oddly I’m finding the game harder this time, Gascoigne battered me many times, Paarl killed me for the first time ever and to my shame so did the Witch of Hemwick. Dunno what’s going on, I used to be semi-decent at the game!

• fish99 says:

The world and lore are amazing, but the level design doesn’t quite hold up to Dark Souls. It’s lacking the interconnected nature, the verticality and the way you can see from one area to another, giving you a sense of the overall structure of the world.

• michelangelo says:

It is true for Dark Souls sequel (don’t know about 3th one and don’t really care), but BLOODBORNE has it all. You just gotta look better since landscapes are filled with much more architecture then DARK SOULS sceneries. And that’s why familiar places might be harder to spot. Best to re–observe once you finished the game and know it well.

• fish99 says:

I have played both games four times. Bloodbornes world is mostly flat and sprawling, whereas the Dark Souls world is all piled up vertically. From the top of the world in Anor Londo you can see the Undead Burg and from Undead Burg you can see all the way down to the bottom of Blight Town and the swamp. The trees in Firelink descend through the swamp down to the base of the world where you find the stone dragon in the Ask Lake, from where you can see across to Lost Izalith. Also a lot of the paths in Dark Souls will loop around to join the world somewhere else.

Not saying Dark Souls is a superior game, I judge them both to be equal due to Bloodborne having more interesting lore/story (to me). They are both phenomenal games.

• michelangelo says:

Four times and still saying it’s flat. Bloodborne’s environment. That’s pretty interesting for me to read. Because, if I’d remember locations names, I could easily write to you the very same paragraph about Bloodborne. It almost makes me feel sorry, pal. Sounds like a game still has something to offer to you.

Give it another trip. Observe carefully. And puzzle the structure in your mind. One location to another. You’ll get a picture, where word “flat” doesn’t really have a place. I promise.

He, heehe eheehee heh, cough…

• fish99 says:

Ok, I promise to pay more attention next time, but it might not be for a while since I played it quite recently.

11. wcq says:

I fell into the Factorio hole. I can’t get out.

Automation is a harsh mistress.

• Evan_ says:

I made fully automated circuit-controlled self-expanding nuclear ladder that displays it’s progress on a digital progress-bar. Still can’t climb out for years.

Don’t send help, they’ll get stuck here too!

• wcq says:

I’ve been building a hole-wide automated railway network and producing large stockpiles of nuclear weapons. Yet to figure out how either will help me get out, though.

• Beanholio says:

I had to uninstall Factorio – it’d be 9 pm and I’d say to myself, “Self, let’s optimize our red/green circuit production before bed.” After rerouting a few conveyor belts, setting up a new copper mine, rearranging assemblers, and attending to a few other small details I’d look at the clock and realize it was nearly 3 am.

Factorio – not even once

The Almighty Moo says:

Splatoon 2. It’s my first SplatFest in the new one

13. Agnosticus says:

I’ll probably join in on the Vermintide 2 slaughter. Looks awesome!

Also R6:Siege: +50% renown boost all WE and a pretty cool new coop campaign. Armour up!

14. Kefren says:

I am playing through FTL. Again. I thought I’d have a quick go before playing Into The Breach, and then weeks later I am still playing it, trying to unlock every ship and layout, AND complete it with each of them on Normal. Yes, it is foolish. Yes, it will take a long time. And yet, I am having such fun. I don’t even feel like installing anything else at present. FTL really is one of the best games I’ve played. Each game tells a little story. Each weapon or system found leads to decisions that might change the current playthrough. I have now completed it quite a few times on Normal, yet still love doing it again with a different ship. This is a taste of addiction, I guess.

15. calvhob says:

I tried a little ‘Sleeping Dogs’ this morning, but the FOV ‘problem’ is making it difficult for me to get into.

Also enjoying the ‘Titanfall 2’ campaign a lot and hoping to finally finishing Inside this weekend!

Thanks at Mat for mentioning ‘Hive’ last week, picked it up and it’s an immediate hit game here!

16. Cyrus says:

Wasteland 2 and TQ: Ragnarök.

The latter taking forever to finish and is way longer than it should be. Being long is not a disadvantage if you are enjoying it, but I don’t think it’s on level with the original game and expack.
    I’m forcing myself to complete it, step by step :(

It’s a shame since I really fell for Titan Quest back in the day.

• malkav11 says:

I don’t think the people who spiffed up the Anniversary Edition and made Ragnarok have much if any continuity with the original team, so it’s not all that surprising. Most of those folks are now with Crate Entertainment, who make Grim Dawn. If you haven’t already tried that game, you might find it better recaptures the original Titan Quest spirit for you. (Or you might not – it’s definitely not just a TQ reskin.)

17. Ejia says:

I wanted to play Always Sometimes Monsters, but it was a pretty short game that ended as quickly as it began! Oh well.

Instead I am tootling about in Grow Home, and the reports that it is a quite lovely space to do so are entirely correct. I love how the climbing feels, even if BUD moves otherwise like a drunk toddler.

Also, boooooo, there should be more firings.

18. Darth Gangrel says:

OMG, Katharine used the metric system “Now that the country hasn’t been ground to a halt because of 3cm of snow” and Matt managed to fit two typing errors in the same sentence “Hopefully I can some Vermintide 2 in in between”.

Yes, I have no life, which is compounded/confirmed by me watching which artist from Sweden gets to be sent to the Eurovision Song Contest 2018. Also gonna do some laundry and perhaps watch a few movies I’ve recorded.

19. bills6693 says:

Northgard. I refrained from buying it in early access as I wanted the ‘complete’ game and didn’t feel the need to before, but its consistently good coverage meant that now its out I’ve bought it and am enjoying the campaign. Also played a single player skirmish which was good, although I didn’t get on with suddenly being attacked and should probably have focused on my military more.

Multiwinia and possibly some Defcon with a few friends too I would imagine, some of my favourite multiplayer games as its not about the complexity of the game but about the interaction between players.

And possibly a spot of Stellaris although I’m waiting for another few patches over the coming week or two, having played a fair bit of the new expansion. Its got so much more to give with all these new systems though so I’ll still be returning to it after a few more bug and balance fixes.

And finally might dive into Satellite Reign which I backed on Kickstarter years ago but didn’t actually get round to playing until a few weeks ago.

20. anHorse says:

Splasher: I got the Humble monthly for Dark Souls 3 being cheaper than on sale and this is the one other game from it that I’ve liked so far. It’s an absolute platforming delight, fast and floaty but playable even by an uncoordinated fool like me

Neo-scavenger: after years of doing one run and then forgetting about this for six months I might finally be doing well enough to reach the content. I love almost everything about this game but it is one of the hated examples of a game where you probably need a wiki to work out crafting, please stop this devs.

Darkwood: I’m too scared of this to even play it so 10/10 for a horror game

Where The Water Tastes Like Wine: I disagree with all the negative reviews of this, it’s my favourite game in ages. If you whistle, hitchhike and jump trains the overworld stuff really doesn’t take too long so you can keep doing the amazing story content which is the selling point.

• anHorse says:

Oh I forgot Cook Serve Delicious 2: I’m like 4 levels in and it’s already getting too hard for me, the one job with like a 20 ingredient salad where the customer picks up to 8 or so was too much for my feeble reactions

21. Vilos Cohaagen says:

Cities: Skylines with all the main DLCs. I’ve not played it since my intensive burst when it first came out but I suddenly got a yearning. I’m really enjoying the extra options from Mass Transit and Green Cities DLCs. Monorails! Trams! Blimps! Lovely.

22. Evan_ says:

Playing Stormworks: Build and Rescue. It’s surprisingly pretty and polished, the campaign is a lot more approachable than what you’d expect from a similar sandbox game.

It also perfectly conjures the feeling of playing with lego boats in the bathtub.

Iamblichos says:

After 6+ years of Not Getting It, I have finally gotten far enough into Skyrim to see the strengths of it. I didn’t play it when it came out because I was busy doing other things. When I finally got around to trying it, I had played FO4 already… which meant that it reminded me of FO4 with a re-skin (when actually it was the other way ’round, but hey). The first time I tried it as a mage, which face-firsted me into the complicated and semi-broken magic system. This time around I’m arching (archering?), which is much more fun to my little exploring heart.

• anHorse says:

It’s not a very good one but Skyrim, in my experience, is absolutely best played as a stealth game. The only problem is that it kinda makes most of the loot in the game pointless but at least trying to self-finance all the expensive player homes is interesting

• hfm says:

My first play-through of Skyrim was a dual wield, was fun enough, especially towards the end where I crafted myself two awesome daedric swords. My second playthrough was when the Legendary difficulty launched and I maged it on Legendary. I actually found the lightning spell to be super OP as I could stun the dragons constantly as they were about to use their breath weapon and pretty much keep them from attacking me altogether for the most part, including Alduin.

I just installed the SE recently and am doing a legendary archer/stealth run. I’m actually finding this somewhat challenging but I’ve sunk so many hours into the game that I’m not sure I’m going to finish it. When I say so many I’m sure my 470 hours into both versions pales in comparison to some others. My backlog is just so deep that I’m not sure I should be wasting my precious gaming life time on something I’ve seen twice now.

subdog says:

If you combine Archering and magic, it’s really the best of both worlds. With the right perks, conjured bows are some of the deadliest weapons in the game- and you never have to worry about ammunition. Add in some conjured cannon fodder to keep your enemies at range and some illusion magic to duck into hiding at will.

• hfm says:

The two things I find super OP in Skyrim are the lightning spell since it stuns and sneak-attack criticals with a high powered bow.

• malkav11 says:

There are various spell mods that make magery a lot more rewarding and varied. (Though if complexity turned you off it, they’re not so much a fix for that.)

24. Ben King says:

Playing Ultra Ultra’s Echo. It’a a really nice stealth game, and the story, voice acting (also sound design) are all far better than they deserve to be. Other games ought to be ashamed. I’m totally into it, but will absolutely never again pick up one of those white crystal paper weights because there is nothing more frightening than a clone coming at you across the palace floors brandishing one of those things. D&D is also this weekend so i will be playing mop the apartment, and I still need to get started on the final little nightmares DLC.

Grizzly says:

A lot of Vermintide 2, which is mostly excellent aside from one particular boss (you know the one). Hearts of Iron IV just released their “Waking the Tiger” expansion so I’ve been fighting in multiple variants of the Chinese Civil War (In which China loses). And, to top it all off, the RPS discord is organizing a Stellaris campaign starting tonight so I’ll be playing that too!

26. Minglefingler says:

Bloodborne and Monster Hunter World which I absolutely fell in love after a few hours. I won’t compare it to the Souls games as it’s really nothing like them but no game has got its hooks this deep into me since Bloodborne. I’m now a fair way into the endgame with a ridiculous amount of hours played and whilst I’ve slowed down, I show no signs of losing interest any time soon.

27. Zenicetus says:

I’m biting the bullet and diving into 2.0 Stellaris (the 2.02 opt-in Beta). We don’t have many options in space 4X games, good ones anyway. So I hope this is headed in the right direction.

And then probably some more time this weekend with my wife playing co-op Divinity OS 2. It’s such a great game, especially in co-op. I’ll be sad when we finish it.

28. c-fan says:

After starting my second go at DJMAX Respect (~150 play count sofar) now that it’s finally on EU (and US) PSN Store, I’m playing Kingdom Hearts Final ReMix for the first time since the release on ps2. Loving it!

29. geldonyetich says:

In a twist of cruel fate, my Final Fantasy XV enjoyment has been interrupted by the game of balance-your-food-intake-with-a-stomach-bug’s-propensity-to-make-you-want-to-toss-your-cookies. It was bad enough that I feared the movement of immersive 3D graphics had the potential to set me off.

Fortunately, I seem to have reached the end game stages of this bothersome biological botchery, and imagine that Noct and his band of too-cool-for-school rebels are content to allow me to sleep it off as their world remains sealed in save game cryostasis.

30. Phantasma says:

Assassin’s Creed Oranges.
    I guess i am two thirds through the story and finished maybe half of the map collectathon but i’m visibly losing speed. It is my first Ubi template game so sequel fatigue can’t really be it.

The world is gorgeous, the movement system is very enjoyable, so is the simple rhythm of exploring / infiltrating / gracefully killing everybody if/when things go south but OHMYGAWD… they have released the same game surely a dozen times by now and i’m certainly not averse to some mindless MMO grinding from time to time, but why couldn’t Ubisoft make at least a token effort to hide the fetch/fondle/kill structure just a little bit better?

Except Bayek and his voice actor, both barely holding everything together, every character is generic and immediately forgettable to a fault and the plot is just kind of there. Heck, forget story, just give me some interesting dialogue and a decent characterisation. Is that really too much to ask from a multi million dollar product?
    That would go a long way to mix things up a bit.

So i’m eyeing (another) Witcher 3 playthrough and will try to resist the urge to purchase the latest Hearts Of Iron expansion just yet, not before the inevitable hotfix is released (never jump into Paradox games right after a big update, not to mention all my mods need updating anyway).

• welverin says:

This really late, so I expect you won’t see it, but you should really ignore all of the map collectathon bits and just focus on quests and side quests (at least as many as you’re interested in). I’d suggest just doing the meaningful side quests, but there’s no good way to distinguish them from the filler.

31. aircool says:

Having an absolute blast with the ‘Sea of Thieves’ final beta. It’s an absolutely terrific multiplayer game. Sinking a galleon full of french sailors (Bonjour matelot) after they ambushed us, and stealing their treasure, was the highlight of the afternoon.

32. cvaldivia93 says:

Civ V with Vox Populi. Wow, it is like playing a new game. Amazing.

Big Dunc says:

I bought Civ V on release, was a bit underwhelmed by it and haven’t touched it since. Maybe now is a good time to give it another go with the Vox Populi mod installed.

• Vacuity729 says:

Similar to Big Dunc, I played through Civ V once, not sure exactly when, or what expansions I had at that point. I was extremely disappointed by how little seemed to actually happen in the course of the game. Eventually, I won, having had a single war with the USA which I refused to accept a ceasefire for for a long time because I was bored and beating up the American armies was vaguely more entertaining than anything I was doing. That’s it. That’s the only thing that “happened” in the whole game. Never played it again.

33. cpt_freakout says:

I’ll be hitting my head against the wall that is Into the Breach. I’m only missing one pilot but like 4 mech squads. The Blitzkrieg medal about finishing two islands in under 30 minutes is downright impossible for me. Best time I’ve made with that squad yet is 40 minutes. I don’t even know what pilot’s best suited for it. But well, I’m having fun with the Ice Guys (forgot the squad name completely!).

Other than that I hope to begin playing Through the Woods, that Norwegian horror game that came out ages ago but I never played and never read any reviews. I hope it’s good!

34. kud13 says:

Plugging away at “Bastion”. I finished Act II, and I only have 2 more Vigils to complete, and only 2 more Proving Grounds left un-perfected.

Of course, I had to take some work home, which is annoying, but i’ll probably be fitting in a few hours here and there when I can no longer read and type.

If I manage to get through “Bastion”, next on my backlog-clearing project is a “2D Deus Ex with a blue-haired female protagonist”- A.K.A. “Dex”

35. NHmetalhead says:

I’ll be playing Why hath thou forsaken me, Unknown Pleasures? as well as some more Lost Castle.

36. hfm says:

I need to continue Divinity:OS2. I haven’t even made it off Fort Joy yet and it’s been SO.. GOOD…

This is definitely the CLOSEST thing to tabletop I’ve ever seen in a CRPG. The narrator is a stroke of damn genius.

• NHmetalhead says:

Given the amount of praise that has been consistently heaped upon D:OS2, I’ve been eyeing it for quite some time. I’ve been putting it off since I’ve tried to play D:0S twice in the past, but bounced off hard both times. I’m not sure what it is that I find so off-putting, since it should be right up my street. I think I’m getting too impatient in my old age.

37. Railway Rifle says:

Have we reached post-peak Alice? Has she mined herself out for us?

(And does creative person waver between “eh, on days and off days” and “OH NO I HAVE LOST THE MUSE AND NOW ALL IS DARKNESS”?)

38. SaintAn says:

I’m close to the end of Horizon Zero Dawn and am finishing up its DLC right now.
    My neighbors pear trees are covered in beautiful flowers and the petals are getting blown off in the wind so it’s like it is snowing flower petals outside like in Stardew Valley, Story of Seasons/old HM, or some anime, so it has me wanting to play Okami with Way of the Samurai 4 and Shogun 2 on the side, so I’ll probably start them tonight.

And Q has appeared in Deep Space Nine!

• SaintAn says:

Okay, I just now finished Horizon Zero Dawn and I think it’s one of my favorite games. It covers a lot of themes I really love. If you haven’t played it yet then you need to play it. If you don’t have a PS4 then rent one from Blockbuster or somewhere. Not going to say any more to avoid any kind of spoiler.

39. Rainshine says:

Finished Subnautica for the first time last night; I had played through a while before release, but decided to start a new game on Ironman after it came out. Runs a lot better than it used to, although I did die and have to restart three times (twice from asphyxiation, once from dehydration essentially, that one felt bad). Enjoyable, but the draw issues are still pretty terrible, and even after reading wiki stuff on the quest to confirm I was looking in the right places, trying to figure out the exact way the game wanted me to finish up made me feel bad.

Now… Stellaris, trying to build a bastion of freedom surrounded by tyrants. Maybe take another run at Divinity OS; I bounced off the quests pretty hard in the first place. Even reading walkthoughs make these things sound horrifically complicated and not at all organic to how I would play.

40. malkav11 says:

I see a couple of major projects for the weekend.
    1) Finishing the assembly of my newly received (and epic) Broken Token storage insert for Gloomhaven, transferring all the bits into their new homes, and then reassembling it into the box. This may not sound like that big a deal but it’s already taken 4 hours just to assemble 11 of the 13 assemblies, and the two remaining are repeated x2 and x4 respectively, plus there’s 30 lbs worth of components to transfer. Soooo, it’ll be a thing.

2) FFXV. It’s a weird beast but I’m genuinely enjoying it so far and it is so incredibly gorgeous. Or rather, it was incredibly gorgeous and then I realized that I hadn’t downloaded the high res visual pack for we 4K types. So I’m kind of scared of how beautiful it’s likely to be with that stuff in place.

• hfm says:

UGH. I haven’t even taken the shrink wrap off my copy of Gloomhaven yet. I have zero idea when we’re going to find time to start it. I’m somewhat afraid that there might be some missing pieces I guess I should at least open it and do an inventory.

41. kiank37 says:

I’m busy as always but I will fit some Doki Doki Literature Club in between the farming, Jewish Parties, and the dirtbiking. I also am going to a friend’s house to try Final Fantasy XV, and will probably purchase it thereafter. My friend just got Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds so I’ll definitely be lolligagging away in that game with him. I don’t know when Bridgette is coming to Overwatch but if she comes this weekend I’ll have to play her a bit. The main game I want to play this weekend is The Last of Us! I’m so close to finishing my first play through.

particlese says:

The timing has not worked out for my usual primary response, so this weekend, it is Elite: Dangerous in VR with friends, and Subnautica in VR with the fishes! Both are very neat.

Subnautica is giving me some minor Minecraft vibes with its crafting, which is not good, but it’s a light enough touch that I think I might make it to the end if I instead think of it as Aquaria sans weapons and nice music. But then there’s the apparent ticking time bomb of the Aurora, which is another source of annoyance. Maybe it’ll just go away if I ignore it… I tried not ignoring it once, but then a giant fishy had a date with awkward physics right in my face, and then it covered my eyes and put me back in my escape pod. Or something.

Elite: Dangerous, on the other hand, is a lovely sandwich game. I forget where I first heard that description, but it was in reference to long autopiloted transits in Freelancer, which are perfect for jumping up to make a sandwich. In addition to that, E:D does VR really nicely once you get past the loading screens. However, I’m now tempted to get an actual joystick so I’m not constantly switching between keyboard & mouse, and a gamepad dire need of in-game sensitivity controls.

• Rainshine says:

Not too spoilery, I hope.

Don’t worry too much about it. As far as I know, there’s only one timer with respects to overall speed in Subnautica, and when/if that comes to pass, it will make itself pretty clear, including a literal onscreen timer. Other than that and the regular feeding/watering/breathing thing, feel free to take your time enjoying the pretty ambience.

• fish99 says:

Just for the record said timer is invisible in VR, so when you hear a spaceship is about to land, go meet it. Actually quite a lot of the UI/interface has issues in VR. For instance using the scanner room or driving the cyclops both require you to switch to the head tracked cursor, then switch back. It’s also extremely difficult to keep 90 fps once you have a decent sized base with vehicles.

Still a fantastic VR experience though.

particlese says:

Thanks to both of you for the tips! That makes me a lot happier to jump back in now. No worries on spoilers since I am indeed mostly there for the pretty ambiance, plus the vaguely Aquaria-esque advancement through the depths. At the same time, thanks for keeping them minimal since stories are nice to explore, too. :)

43. Grim Rainbow says:

Deus Ex again. My play time is limited so I haven’t even reached Hong Kong yet. I like taking my time though.

44. Gomer_Pyle says:

With St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner, I decided to start a EUIV game as one of the Irish Minors. I tried Desmond at first, which was somewhat successful, but I ended up getting beaten up by the English, so I had to abandon that game.

Now I am trying as Leinster, this time the English are allied to me and sending me subsidies, which is nice. (Of course once I’m strong enough I’m gonna betray them, and conquer their island.) Hopefully this attempt goes better.

45. fish99 says:

Not much honestly. I am onto Season 3 of Star Trek Voyager though, but I might switch back Next Gen for a change or read a book.

46. Vasily R says:

Hoping to finish off my current China campaign in Hearts of Iron 4. I’m really liking Waking the Tiger and the new patch. The AI still sucks though.

Comment on this story