That’s aaaages: Pillars Of Eternity 2 delayed into May

Obsidian’s throwback RPG sequel Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire was due to launch in a few weeks, on April 3rd, but now it will not. The developers announced today that they’re pushing the launch back to May 8th, as testing feedback has indicated the game’s not quite ready yet so they want to polish it up. Which, yeah, sure, great. If you can afford to release a game later so it can be better, please do so.

Obsidian explained the delay in today’s announcement:

“As you have probably guessed, Deadfire is a huge game — significantly larger than the original Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian has been working harder than Abydon himself to make every inch of it awesome, as well as incorporating all the great feedback we have been getting from everyone playing the Backer Beta.

“With this in mind, we are taking just a few extra weeks to polish and put those finishing touches on the game.”

That ‘Backer Beta’ they mention is, by the way, the testing access given to people who paid enough into the game’s crowdfunding campaign. Big fans.

Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire is coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux via Steam and GOG, priced at £33/€46/$50.

Aerothorn says:

This is good – Josh Sawyer is still kicking around the ideas of a few fundamental system design changes on his blog, which was a scary thing to do a month from release (admittedly these are all how-stats-interact-with-eachother systems, nothing related to actual ‘game content’).

• InternetBatman says:

Amen to this. While I’m very happy where Pillars I eventually settled, they should probably have a better handle on stats by the release of the second game.

2. DeepSleeper says:

I’m actually glad to see this. Obsidian games released in the past could’ve used it, and this one actually got it.
    Good move.

• Someoldguy says:

Hear hear. If there’s something to be said for the modern way games are marketed and sold, it’s that the release dates have room for greater flexibility. Holding things back to make sure the first impressions don’t kill a game’s chances of long term success with a rush of lacklustre reviews is a very good thing.

3. Herzog says:

I kickstarted the first part. I bought the expansion last year in a sale. I really should install it before part two comes out. Backlog horrors.

4. Wormerine says:

Its funny how positive delay announcement can be if one closely follows project in question. While I am dying to play Deadfire 1.0, I would rather have it be a good experience. If they are willing to invest extra month of funds to work on the game, please, be my guest.

5. leeder krenon says:

“Deadfire is a huge game — significantly larger than the original Pillars of Eternity.” oh my days. one for the retirement back log then.

• BenWH says:

I am with you on that. I liked One, but I was definitely grinding towards the end just to finish it. This comment made my heart sink.

6. poliovaccine says:

It’s kinda funny how, ostensibly, this is what we all want for the good of the game, but in actual fact it’s hard to get super excited over a delay for QA testing.

Still, if I were Josh Sawyer/anyone at Obsidian, I’d be taking any extra dev time I could get… considering that Fallout New Vegas could have been the greatest western RPG of the last two decades, if they’d had more than 18 months to finish implementing all the awesome stuff they had planned (leaving it merely at “one of the greatest,” pah). And also because Tyranny seemed incredibly polished but alarmingly short, almost as if they buffed out every inch from rough draft to final product before moving along to making the next inch… a game developed by “curling” – no idea if that’s what actually happened, just saying it’d be easy to think so, given the end result. In any case, it seems to me like Obsidian have an issue with time, which is frustrating, because most creative geniuses do.

If I had my way, Obsidian would get five years and a money-printing machine to just go ahead and remake Fallout 2 in a 3D engine. Oh, and there would be zero hype or prerelease discussion, so it couldn’t be ruined by pressure or meta-drama or expectations.

Anyway, I need to get into Pillars of Eternity – like I need a new addiction, but hey.

7. digital_sneeze says:

Even bigger? PoE 1 took me something like 80 hours and I never did finish it. I really dug their take on the real-time / pause mechanic; way better than the messy old infinity engine games, but I hope they manage a story worthy of Obsidian this time: the original game’s one was a bit so-so. Also, I hope they make it so I don’t max out my party like 2/3rds into the game this time. A lot of the impetus went after that.

8. Michael Fogg says:

I’m concerned the whole ship travel/upgrade/combat will be neither here nor there. Like with that silly pile of rocks in the previous one, it’s likely not something that the formula needs.

• Hoot says:

While I agree with you regarding the whole ship thing I have to say that I enjoyed the Endless Paths in the previous game very much. The whole “stronghold management” guff was just icing, the real deal was exploring the 15 floor mega dungeon beneath the castle itself. Being “old skool” it brought back shades of Watchers Keep to my memory :)

Hopefully there will be something similar in the sequel.

• Michael Fogg says:

The big hole was okay, though I thought the final level happened suddenly without much buildup. It was like being in somebody’s basement and then a giant cavern. I never managed to slay the thing at the bottom, which I find to be to the game’s credit.

• Someoldguy says:

It’s a tricky line to walk. With the whole thing being a kickstarter goal add-on in Pillars it wasn’t properly integrated into the game and so it felt irrelevant. I did like having a stronghold but it was dull to build, far too big to be a credible castle and for me the dungeon was just too big and pointless. Plus the bounties system run from it had you map hopping back and forth explored areas which detracted from the main story arc. Can’t please everyone!

With the ships being in Deadfire from the start and part of the natural way of traversing the game I hope it will feel more integrated – and they can’t possibly have a megadungeon in their bilges.

• Michael Fogg says:

True. A Pyrates! kind of game is probably difficult enough to do on its own, not to mention trying to plant in on top an Infinity-style rpg, a very intricate thing on its own right.

• Oasx says:

Josh Sawyer has said that they realize that it was a mistake to only go halfway with the keep in the first game, and that they have gone all-in on the ship part of Pillars 2

9. Sascha23 says:

Excited for this. Take your time, Obsidian.

10. MikoSquiz says:

Dear RPG developers: Please make smaller games.

• Rosveen says:

Yes please. I’m actually a little worried about PoE2 being larger than the first game; it already took me 70+ hours to complete and I never finished White March. I do like huge, sprawling RPGs every now and then… But is it really necessary?

• InternetBatman says:

There’s room for both in the industry. However, it could be that rpgs are generally less suited to small campaigns. How do reward exploration when there’s not that much to explore? Etc. Some small rpgs do succeed (Unrest), but many are trivial.

• welverin says:

I suggest dropping the RPG part of that, they could (almost) all stand to make shorter games.

• Someoldguy says:

Unless it’s the Witcher. I’d happily take a Witcher game that was so big I died of old age before finishing it. Not sure that the forthcoming dystopian future game is going to suck me in that hard, but it will be awesome if it does.

• Cerulean Shaman says:

In other words, the game only deserves to be long if you like it. Unsurprising, I guess… so these other games you don’t want to be long. What if we feel that way about them?

• ludde says:

At least as the main story line goes. Otherwise I like the idea of big worlds with a lot of optional content, making playthroughs different.

11. Monggerel says:

Okay, so:

I’d argue that Pillars of Eternity is an all-around better written game than Tides of Numenara.

Certainly Numenera could not boast characters with the sheer perverted frisson of Durance, or Grieving Mother. Pillars has strong parts and weak ones, but, importantly, builds to an impressive climax that feels both satisfying and well-earned.
    PoE’s systems, however, most of which are combat, are rubbish. They make up a significant part of a very long game (~70 hours), and if I didn’t set difficulty to the easiest possible, in order to steamroll over all combat scenarios, I’d never have seen the ending. The backer-written NPCs were also a horrible idea. People are shitty writers.

Tides of Numenera has the opposite problem. The “Crisis” system is excellent and unusal. It’s also surprisingly good approximation of *actual* tabletop RPG-play, and understands that scaling down combat is generally a solid idea.
    The writing, however, was spotty, the semi-frequent nods toward Planescape: Torment just made me realize *exactly* how much better that game’s story was, and by the end I was glad to have the story squared away and done with. ToN was much shorter than PoE and still failed to hold my interest ultimately, so GtFO.

All this is to say that Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which was both less ambitious and overall far less polished than either of the above games, was actually better than both. It was precisely what it intended to be, which was just the right amount of rpg-lite.

Takeaway: we need smaller dev teams making smaller games.

• Babymech says:

Also? Smaller people. Tiny programmers and writers and artists making little game offerings for huge hulking players that stomp through ruined cities like god beast colossi.

• Someoldguy says:

Dragonfall was also the expansion (later released as a standalone) to the Shadowrun Returns game. I’d argue that PoE and ToN were better than the original Shadowrun. White March improved upon PoE. ToN didn’t get an expansion to show what they could do once the systems had been built. ToN could certainly have done with an expansion that pared back the wordiness the same way they pared back the combat.

• Monggerel says:

Right, you might be right about a the “round two” improvements to both Shadowrun and Pillars of Eternity, which is the kind of second chance Numenera didn’t get. Might be the key to all of this.
        In fact, I’d heartily recommend people only release the second of two games, if at all possible.

• Cerulean Shaman says:

You’re actually wrong about that. Tides of Numenera got a huge enhancement patch that modified and fixed a bunch of things (namely the combat system), just as did Pillars of Eternity even before White March. It just wasn’t labeled as anything special.

Frankly, all three games were great. I’m not sure where your bar really is at for a “perfect” RPG. What games are you holding these against?

• Cerulean Shaman says:

Eh, I felt ToN was excellently written, though I can understand why some gamers were miffed. Funny enough a very common complaint for PoE was that it was too wordy and the story was terrible. Can’t please everyone, I guess…

Personally, I felt both had fantastic, creative stories. ToN was more a visual novel than anything, yes, but if you were okay with that it made for a delicious game. Not sure where you found fault but I fell in love with the world, unique characters, and lore, same as with PoE.

Then, funnily enough, I found Dragonfall to be mediocre. It wasn’t bad, but it left me wanting a more fleshed out experience.

I don’t really agree with you about shorter RPGs (pending quality of course). There are already tons of fast-food style games; it’s literally the norm now. RPGs are one of the few final bastions where it’s still not uncommon to see a full course home-cooked meal; don’t take that way from me, casuals. If you want a shorter game go play something else or hop on something like Overwatch or Hearthstone.

Comment on this story