Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds updates adds emotes

Tensions run high in Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds but the emotions are simple: I would like to shoot you; I would prefer you not shoot me; oi oiiiiiii! These can be deduced by context but, for players who believe they have rich emotional lives which absolutely must be shared with everyone, the battle royale ’em up now has little emote animations. These carefully express emotions ranging from “I surrender; please do not shoot me” through “I am angry enough to shoot someone” and even “I could kiss you, you absolutely bloody legend.” Today’s update seems a good’un in general, bringing a lot of welcome fixes and quality-of-life tweaks.

The dozen emotes are Hello (a wave); Thanks (blowing a kiss); Affirmative (nodding your head); Clap (clapping and nodding a bit); Laugh (a belly-clutching, arm-pointing cackle); Surrender (putting your hands up); Rage (shaking your fists like an urchin just stole a pie from your windowsill); You’re Done (drawing a hand across your threat); Negative (shaking your head); Provoke (doing the ‘eye see you’ finger-eyes followed by a pointing then beckoning finger); Come Here (a beckoning hand wave); and Go (pointing forwards). These are all done in eerie silence, like you’re a terrible mime murderer pretending to experience emotions when really you’re thinking about wearing my skin as a suit. Observe:

The devs say they plan to add more emotes later, which I assume will be packed into the crates of cosmetic items.

Beyond animations that are mostly useful for dicking about in the lobby and as a simple attention-grabbing focus for video game blogs, today’s patch has brought some decent little changes. Here are a few highlights I’ve picked out:

• Improved real-time response by reducing input lag
  • Mitigated the frame drop issue caused by the map loading process
  • Added main menu voice chat
  • Made holes in the ceiling and floor of some high buildings, so that it is easier to move between different levels, to improve the gameplay experience on Miramar
  • Added 37 achievements on Steam
  • Changed the gun scope view to be more realistic
  • Increased the radius of explosion effect considering the actual effective radius
  • Removed ambient noise and lowered the overall volume
  • Implemented the Doppler effect for the airplane engine sound – the pitch of the airplane engine sound is now different depending on the distance and the direction of movement of the airplane
  • Improved an issue where three-wheeled motorbikes would suddenly flip whenever the server performance deteriorated
  • Mitigated an issue where when exiting the parachute mode, player could take excessive fall damage
  • Fixed an issue where the adjusted zoom level in 8x scope reset after swapping to your other weapon(s)

The full patch notes are over here.

The achievements are mostly boring, challenging players to get certain numbers of kills and wins, but there are some fun ones like “Wear the outfit of a dead player”, “Kill 10 players with the crossbow”, “Get into a vehicle where an enemy player is already in”. I’d like to see more of the cheevos encourage banter and antics, with daft challenges like big jumps, pub crawls… honestly, sometimes it’s almost as if PUBG Corp forget they’re making a stag & hen weekend simulator.

And yes, performance does seem fine. FPS and crash woes over the weekend were mostly caused by a wonky anti-cheat update that ended up being rolled back.

The devs have also now opened signups for early access to the game’s upcoming API, which should allow for better stat-tracking sites and such.

1. hungrycookpot says:

I played all weekend and never noticed any performance deterioration. Still a solid 110 fps on high. Have noticed far less cheaters and non-communicators in the past few weeks, possible that the ping limiting thing is doing it’s job?

2. Awkward_Seppuku says:

“Removed ambient noise”?

3. Seafoam says:

I hope they would add military hand gestures such as these classics:
    link to i.imgur.com
    Of course these are only to be added for the serious tactical element. But I’d request that the explanation for the signal stays the same as the image.

4. Godwhacker says:

*uses gesture*
    *gets shot in the head*

Great work, guys

5. dagnamit says:

PUBG is finally catching up with the world’s best battle royale game, Surviv.io

• kritt says:

Finally a decent battle royale that isn’t too taxing for my netbook.

6. sk0sH says:

I got a little frustrated this weekend when they were rolling out the update, or right before the update, because I had my fps dipping to around 45-75. There were all sorts of weird glitches, hit detection problems, and it generally felt un-optimized.

Post update, I can now say it runs smoother than ever. I get around 95-120 fps. Sure, I have most stuff on low or very low, except for view distance, textures, and foliage. I like the foliage set to at least high, that way the game doesn’t look like I am playing on a moonrock, lol…plus it is another level of skill.

One other thing they updated was some of the flooring in the houses next to school on Eragnel, where random bushes were poking up from the wooden floors in the foyer of the 3 story buildings. They now have well-done wooden flooring.

I did run into a 3-seater wonky effect post-update though. I was driving randomly in the 3-seater, cruising at a very high rate of speed, when I hit….nothing…not even a bump in the terrain and I went flying like crazy.

I am definitely digging this new update. It does fix a lot of optimization issues without disrupting the core of the game. I doubt the aggressive anti-cheat did much, if at all. What I would like, is to be able to report players for cheats that aren’t on the limited list of cheats. I would like to report people for ESP, because sometimes that is glaringly obvious…like me traveling to the opposite end of the map away from everyone else, going into a house, and having a grenade fly through the window or someone attempting to shoot through the walls, which did happen today. I thought that was weird. They would have had no cues, audio or video, to determine my location, yet I clearly heard bullets hit surfaces in front of me that obscured me from other people’s vision. I was looting a house and was shot from a neighboring house after someone drove up to it, went into the house, I heard them driving up, so I retreated to a spot inside the house I was in that wasn’t exposed to any windows, and they attempted to shoot through the wall anyway.

As for the “removing ambient noise”, this is mostly only noticeable on surround-sound emulating headsets. Before, these ambient noise sounds were so annoying and didn’t make sense. I would hear all sorts of sounds that seemed like a bunch of air was being blasted into my headphones at a lower volume than other sounds.

Good work, Bluehole/PUBG corp. Keep it up. I cannot wait for that 4×4 foresty & rice field map, it sounds so awesome.

Can’t wait for the 8×8 winter/snow map as well. Keep making maps. That’s what’s going to keep people playing :)

I don’t really care for the emotes though. I probably won’t ever use them unless myself and some other people make a pubg film or something.

7. rickenbacker says: