Shadow of the Tomb Raider springs quite a few leaks

Shadow of The Tomb Raider

Update: Big surprise! It’s finally now official.

Now, keep this between us – quiet, alright? Just between you and me, I think there might be a new Tomb Raider game in the works. I also think that it might be called Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and that it might be released this September, and that it’ll feature scenes a lot like the completely-unrelated-we-assure-you image you see above.

I have all these wild hunches because Square Enix’s PR seems to have sprung all of the leaks, spilling juicy game info all over the place up to and including shakey-cam footage of the teaser trailer, along with the release date. So much for a dramatic reveal, eh?

The latest and most amusing of all these revelations comes direct from the official Tomb Raider website, which currently teases an official release of information planned for sometime tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately, a quick peek at the source-code of the page (only a right-click away in Chrome) reveals significantly more detail, including the exact day of launch, along with a mention that this is to be the end of Lara’s ‘origin story’ trilogy of games.

This isn’t the first case that information has leaked out, either. We technically knew this title a long while ago – back in 2016, even (thanks to Kotaku) – after someone spied a developer’s laptop with confidential materials on screen during a subway commute. Oops.

Hawk-eyed Twitter gremlin @Nibellion even managed to dig up some video footage from a pre-announcement press event in Montreal, as well as his thoughts on this cavalcade of leakiness:

The only real surprise here, if you can even call it that, is that Crystal Dynamics – developers of the previous two Tomb Raider games – aren’t handling development of this one. Instead, Eidos Montreal (creators of the New Deus Ex games) are heading up the project, but so long as they just continue aping the Uncharted series, there’s not much you can do wrong with the design of a game like this.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be launching on September 14th, but don’t tell them that you saw it here, okay?

1. rubmon says:

Good. I enjoyed Rise, so this should be good also, though I’m guessing Lara Croft is not going to be in this one either.

2. Neurotic says:

No Crystal Dynamics and no Rhi Pratchett make Jack a nervous boy.

3. Turkey says:

Got a bad feeling when I read that the Deus Ex guys are working on it. It usually doesn’t bode well for in-house developers when publishers move them over to work on their money maker IP.

They’ll more than likely just be another Tomb Raider team from now on.

• woodsey says:

Presumably it’ll be the Thief team working on it, not the Deus Ex guys (both are Eidos Montreal).

4. Psychomorph says:

Although I don’t like the new reboot series as much as the previous reboot series, but you got to lower your standards to enjoy games these days, so I lowered them and enjoyed the new reboot series somewhat.

So I am looking forward to see if this one lives up to the lower standard of the new reboot series.

5. woodsey says:

Disappointing to hear that they still consider this part of her origin story, because it can only mean one thing: Lara moaning about her bloody dad for another 15-20 hours.

When are they going to let her enjoy herself?

• skyturnedred says:

Indeed. I’m ready for her to be the Tomb Raider already.

ooshp says:

“..is this a new record for an AAA game”

*an* AAA game?

Does this person pronounce it “ay-ay-ay” as opposed to “triple ay”?

Is this a common thing?

• SBLux says:

aye

Drib says:

It’s an triple A game. Their doing they’re best too get there grammar rite.

But really though, I think “an AAA” is probably correct, despite the weirdness if you decide to say ‘triple A’ instead of what’s written.

7. doglikesparky says:

More leaks than a Bethesda RPG on PS3.

8. Monggerel says:

Okay, so I hate the new Lara Croft.

Lara Classic is basically morally inverted Indiana Jones (i.e. “This belongs in my collection!”). She’s a callous, crude, sociopathic globetrotter who only speaks once a fortnight, and then only to be sarcastic at someone else’s expense.

Neo Lara, on the other hand, is a Daddy Issues. Her character is basically boiled down to the fact that she lives in her father’s shadow and cannot, ever, escape it. Or even wants to escape it, for that matter. And she’s very vocal about that.
    She’s also Idealistic! And! Determined! To! The! Bitter! End!
    Why?
    Because stupid, that’s why.

Maybe I just hate storytelling, I dunno. That’s also possible. It’s also possible that I’m right though.

9. Spuzzell says:

The voice actor for Lara in Rise is appalling.

I’m extremely cut glass myself so perhaps it annoyed me more than it should, but her accent was FAR from upper class English.

I don’t care about boob size, but if a characters voice is wrong then it spoils everything about playing as them. I got so annoyed at it I uninstalled before thinking to check if turning off the voice acting was possible.

• durrbluh says:

It was possible, but the only other option was “American Male Who Once Watched Monty Python And The Holy Grail Attempting A Cockney Accent As Lara“, so your decision may have been the path of least existential suffering.