We think it’s safe to say that more Prey is on the way

Prey

Huzzah for rhyming headlines! Yesterday, we reported on a series of increasingly overt teasers coming from Arkane Studios, not-so-subtly hinting that they’re not quite done with System Shock-ish immersive sim Prey.

Today, they dropped almost all pretense. It’s March 15th, the day that Prey’s story begins on (at least according to the robo-voiced alarm clock that awakens protagonist Morgan Yu from rest). Celebrating the pseudo-anniversary, the studio got together to tweet out a mysteriously redacted team photo, only to release the uncut and probably release-date-containing one later in the day.

The uncut tweet is full of juicy details, as well as some silly things that were just redacted for laughs. To save you some squinting, here’s the full resolution version of the image, just click to embiggen and feast your eyes on the fruits of their slightly-too-grainy camera.

Prey

The whiteboard is really what gives it all away. Among the more notable scribblings are the sub-genre’s ever-present 0451 passcode (although this one is crossed out), multiple references to the moon (the most likely location of any upcoming Prey expansion), as well as references to Kosma Corp, a rival operation to Prey’s onmipresent and morally bankrupt TranStar. To reference the excellent Alien: Isolation, they’re Seegson to your Weyland-Yutani.

Most importantly is the date, though. Assuming American date format, we’re looking forward to something either being fully unveiled or (more likely) launched on June 10th this year. It sounds like a reasonable enough launch date, and Arkane have established a solid track record releasing expansions that improve on already great games. Fingers crossed, eh?

Most questionable of all the doodles on the whiteboard is ‘Moonshark!!?’. A codename, or some sort of weird new enemy to deal with, we don’t know, but assuming that it’s some kind of living creature, moonsharks are always cool and we hope that we can high-five or ride any such spaceborne fish rather than deal with it in traditional video game fashion.

Lastly, I’m just going to assume/hope that the red eyes are all photoshopped in, because otherwise you could have a member of Arkane’s staff behind you and not even know it. Did you forget to take that coffee mug out to wash earlier, or do you really have two on your desk?

1. Ansob says:

Both the whiteboard and the calendar say the 10th of June.

Personally, I’m excited for the Moon sharks.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Ugh, chalk that one up to me being sick and working with a fever today.

My brain… it bubbles.

• Lovely Alexander says:

10th June is the Bethesda E3 conference. I would guess it’s to be unveiled then. Although I hope I’m wrong and we get it sooon.

• napoleonic says:

Bethesda like to launch games very soon after announcing them. It’s not inconceivable that they’ll make the DLC available during the conference.

2. Servicemaster says:

Prey was my 2017 GOTY so I’ll definitely pick it up.

Spoiler kinda: The room with the looking glass mural of the diorama of the coastal town was one of the best pieces of art I’ve ever seen. I’ve got a sweet spot for metametaphors.

3. meatnips82 says:

Prey was my 2017 game of the year also. It was actually one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time and I’ve been playing PC games since the original Quake. Not because Prey was perfect, but because I was thoroughly immersed in its world to a degree that hasn’t been matched in years. Hope this comes to light because I’m down for day one full price (and I’m a wait for sale dude for 90% of my games). Dropping some Prey love wherever I can.

4. Altronza says:

Oh that’s cool. There’s the little robot dude. Also it took me a full ten seconds to realize the eyes…

5. Kefren says:

I still have too many games to play, and don’t buy stuff with Denuvo – but by the time I am on top of my existing backlog they should have removed Denuvo (as with Doom) and I’ll get it with all the DLC at a bargain price. So everyone wins there. I’m quite looking forward to it, though I still think it is a shame that by releasing this, the original Prey seems to have been erased from the world.

• pookie191 says:

I’m glad it has been erased.. it’s the only game in 40 years of gaming that’s made me projectile vomit

• Kefren says:

Ha ha, it went downhill after the opening, but still had its moments. :-)
        I’m more likely to vomit from VR games, but you have my sympathies. Still, it’s a shame for any game to be erased – there are always some people who would have appreciated it.

Qazinsky says:

I must have bad resolution on my screen, because the picture looked like a whole room of people flipping me off.

7. Maxheadroom says:

I enjoyed Prey for the most part but thought the pacing got a bit sluggish towards the end, so wasnt really eager to play more (or replay it for the different endings) once the credits finally rolled.

Definitely seem to be in the minority though so maybe my sneaky/shooty/hacky with almost no alien-magic build was the problem

• napoleonic says:

Nope that was my build too and I loved it. Maybe it just wasn’t for you.

• caff says:

I had a similar build, and yep I had to avoid a lot of enemies by running past them towards the end, but I still had a great time. Maybe they’ll cater more to the sneaky avoidy crowd next time.