Devil May Cry HD gets the PC collection it deserves, kinda

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 2.34.09 PM

Devil May Cry is finally on PC in an HD collection that brings together the first three games into a magical hack-and-slash adventure that allows the player to take some revenge on some utterly bizarre demons. These three Playstation 2 originals first got the HD treatment in a bundle back in 2012, so sure, 2018 is an appropriate time for PC owners to finally have access. The question is: what is that HD treatment worth to us now?

These three games represented an incredibly 2000s style of cool, especially with Dante’s outrageous interpretations of what “cool” meant, mixed with a visual sense that was unlike anything I had ever seen. Cracking how to defeat difficult enemies that required hyper-specific timing to bring down has served as the basis for spiritual successors like Bayonetta.

Incidentally, Bayonetta may be a better use of your time.

The third game in the series already received a pretty poor port, and the second game is notoriously entirely forgettable. The first game and third entry are fine revisits, especially the first game which still caries the DNA of Resident Evil right on the surface. But with titles like Bayonetta bringing modern, exciting twists to the formula, why spend the same amount of cash to acquire these titles now, nearly 18 years after the original Devil May Cry hit stores? And against recent revamps and remasters of games like the PS2 Final Fantasy XXI, this doesn’t appear to have nearly the same love invested on Capcom’s end.

The game page on Steam breaks down what you’re in for here:

The popular stylish action games Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2, and Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition return in one collection! As Dante, the ultimate devil hunter, you’ll join forces with appealing characters such as Trish, Lady, and Lucia and enjoy incredible action for the first time in blistering 60fps.

Devil May Cry: The first appearance of Dante, the ultimate devil hunter! With the blood of a legendary demon warrior flowing through his veins, Dante takes on the king of the underworld, Mundus.

Devil May Cry 2: Dance with the devil. Set decades after the first game, this sequel adds moves like the wall run and Rain Storm, bringing Dante’s action to the next level of stylishness. The bonus mode Bloody Palace also makes its debut.

Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition: This prequel to the first Devil May Cry introduces Vergil, Dante’s twin brother. Customize your game style by selecting from various styles to level up and gain new moves and abilities.

There are Steam Achievements, full controller support, and of course the Steam trading cards that all the youths are always getting excited about.

This release screams Future Steam Sale Purchase to me. Do you have memories of the DmCs that make you excited to dip back in? Or maybe a reason that I should finally play the second game? Let me know.

1. mnemos says:

And against resent revamps and remasters of games like the PS2 Final Fantasy XXI, this doesn’t appear to have nearly the same love invested on Capcom’s end.

Oh god, I’m getting so old.

• Thulsa Hex says:

I guess this one isn’t so far off, then:link to goo.gl

• _Nocturnal says:

Yeah, it seems our boy Brent here made a little mistake while rewriting PC Gamer’s article on the matter, which compares these ports to FF XII.

Pretty much everything mentioned here is taken from their article, by the way. Not to kick a Brent while he’s down, but… we’ve gotten used to a higher standard around these parts, Brent. Do better.

• AngoraFish says:

What do you mean? Other than the occasional opinion piece all the news on RPS is essentially copypasta from Kokatu, PC Gamer and/or Gamasutra.

• batraz says:

So it is Brent XII instead of Brock XXI ? I don’t know about copypasting, but I am confused now…

2. Jalan says:

I keep seeing a lot of people remarking on the whole HD-ness (or lack thereof in certain aspects of this collection) and I’m starting to wonder what exactly were people expecting Capcom to shove out here?

Other than that, for a series I mostly ignored when it originally released (something I have slight regret toward doing, but that’s life) it’s nice to be able to play (at least) the first game without having to resort to other means to do so (whether it’s emulation, breaking out a PS3 or even just going far back to its PS2 release), even if EVERYTHING in the game didn’t get the full HD gloss-over treatment (at this point in my gaming life I’ve come to expect seeing cruddy backgrounds with washed out textures as far as “old classic previously console-centric title makes triumphant debut on PC” is concerned).

3. DatonKallandor says:

There really wasn’t a good reason for this pack to exist. They didn’t put any effort into the remastering, so the only worthwhile thing in the pack is DMC1. DMC2 is hilariously bad (watch the amazing LP by AccountingNightmare instead), DMC3 you can already get on PC standalone (and cheaper too).

And even considering all that, if you want the best style-o-slasher DMC4 Special Edition is right there on steam, still unbeaten.

4. eightbitrobot says:

Doesn’t seem like DMC3 has anything you could not already do with mods.

5. Ragnar says:

I played DMC 1 ten years ago. I loved it’s style and combat, but I found it incredibly difficult. The first boss, the arachnid, took me hours to defeat. The limited lives and continues didn’t help, and just made it feel grindy.

The game had an Easy difficulty, but on Easy the game would preform combo attacks for you, many enemy types were removed, and climactic fights were replaced with boring generic ones.

I absolutely loved Bayonetta, though. I need to find time to play it on PC – I bet it’ll be every bit as good as I remember.

6. Gilead says:

This might be a good time to mention that the remastered version of Devil May Cry is currently free if you have Twitch Prime, which I think was mentioned in a previous RPS article but doesn’t seem to get a mention in this one for some reason.

So if you have Amazon Prime and don’t really care about the second and third games, you can currently just get the first one in this bundle for free.

• Kamestos says:

Just tried DmC1 on the twitch app. It’s way too fast on my 144 Hz monitor, and since it doesn’t have settings to set the refresh rate and I can’t be bothered to fiddle with Nvidia profiles (if it even works with the Twitch wrapper/app) I think I’ll leave it at that.

7. Dugular says:

About 2/3rds of the way through the first game and I have to be honest: This is exactly how I like my ports.

No remastering which can lose the original feel, and no extra newly created levels which interrupt the original flow. Just give me some higher resolutions and let me play.

So far, DMC1 feels very, very early PS2, which is great as I feel I’m getting the original experience that I had on my PS2 years ago. The menus look the same (but with Xbox controller icons), the controls are just as awkward. I’m admittedly loving it.

I hope more developers who port over older console games are lazy like this so I can get a purer experience. Just focus on making it run well, nothing else.

8. Nootrac says:

I feel like there’s a category of games which seemed amazing at the time, but turned out to just be the creators’ prototypes for something much better.

Off the top of my head: