Let’s make a pact to play No One Lives Forever

nolf

So I’m going to be real honest: I haven’t been a participating member of the RPS site in a year or two. I got burned out on video game news and gamer culture and all of the like. It has been a nice surprise to come back here and find the RPS community exactly as I left it: chock full of good folks who appreciate terrible jokes. The somewhat expected side-issue of coming back to RPS is that my current PC rig is more of a quickly dying laptop from 2012. Being back here on the daily means reading up on games and mods and demos that just make me shout “I need a killer PC rig right now!” I’m not going to pull that off anytime soon, but maybe I can join you in a personal goal to finally do One Of Those Important PC Things that I’ve never done.

In 2000, Fox Interactive / Monolith Productions released The Operative: No One Lives Forever. Since then, no one has been able to play the game. The feminist Bond twist sees a swinging 60s spy take on a world of espionage. From ye ole Wiki:

A story-driven game set in the 1960s, No One Lives Forever has been critically acclaimed for, among other things, its stylistic representation of the era in the spirit of many spy films and television series of that decade, as well as for its humor. Players control female protagonist Cate Archer, who works for a secret organization that watches over world peace. In addition to a range of firearms, the game contains several gadgets, which are disguised as ordinary female fashion items.

No One Lives Forever, and its sequel, have long been praised as members of that top-tier of PC Games: The Must Plays. Look, I’ve got a Steam account action packed with games I’ve never played, despite knowing that it is Important that I experience them. NOLF has always carried that level of importance, but NOLF is also a well documented impossible reissue. In 2014, it looked like there was hope. And then there was a series of buy-out/merger type moves that left the IP in a forever damned zone.

And that’s what bring us back to where this article started: I’ve been away from RPS for a bit. So now that I’m writing here, I keep seeing in-link suggestions for articles I’ve missed. And today, I saw that last summer we published a piece that fine declares: “Look, if no one owns it, let us agree that we can finally download the games in good faith.” And that article with working download links is right here.

Uh. So I have. I made my PC work just enough to run these. And I know that it is time that I do so. So… fellow RPS friends, let’s give it a spin this week? Let’s meet back next weekend and if we’re the type to have put this off forever, let’s compare notes on a thing that we should have done a long time ago? At the very least, hold me accountable that I finally do this Game Lineage Thing. I want to do this and I’d love to do it with you.

1. NRDubS says:

Let’s not, and say we did?

Earl-Grey says:

I like this plan.
      I love it dearly but I’ll be buggered to shreds if I ever bother playing it.

NOLF will live merrily in my mind as a fantastic piece of gaming heritage that I got running on my piece of shit computer, once, 18 years ago and never touched since, just the way I like it.

2. nimbulan says:

Man these games are good. Monolith is one of the all time great studios.

3. skeletortoise says:

Honestly, what is this? I get that it’s probably hard to find great writers who are motivated to work hard on weekend press releases, but this is just embarrassing. Bouncing from slightly unhinged, incoherent rants to what feels like… I dunno, a desperate attempt at pandering, I guess? It feels like there was a truly significant breakdown in communication of the expectations for this job.

• celticdr says:

Wow, that’s a bit of an overreaction to an article about one RPS writer who wants to connect with their readers (God knows why they’d want to do that based on some of the vitriol I’ve seen in the RPS comments sections lately).

Regardless of their last article being a rant about farming sims, which BTW they apologised for anyhow, why don’t we look into our hearts and cut Brock a little slack?

“Let he who is without sin cast the first stone” – some dude with long hair.

• SaintAn says:

Yeah, criticism of the article and his writing is fine, he can improve from criticism, but the folks here have been ganging up on the writer and being unnecessarily cruel. It has made me feel bad reading the comments this weekend because of how mean people are being to him. Our community is one of the last few good ones left in gaming, but this weekend we really haven’t acted like it.

• Spacewalk says:

It makes a good case for linking the comment section to the forum so people would have to register in order to comment so such behaviour can be dealt with more easily.

• Landiss says:

You seriously think that registering and logging in the forum is harder than doing the same thing on the site?

• Spacewalk says:

What I meant was having everything in the one place makes it more easier to moderate.

Ninja Dodo says:

Jesus. Why be such a jerk?

This article seems like a perfectly good initiative. No different from any number of other informal calls to action or random musings we’ve seen from RPS. I think I might join in, in fact, since I have yet to play this game.

• April March says:

Yeah – this article is classic RPS to the bone. Kieron would be proud if he hadn’t turned into an elemental being of drawing paper and music.

4. MattM says:

It’s OK to not be into video games. Most of the people I respect the most are too busy doing important work to invest the time.
    I saw a youtube video where someone handed 2048 to a bunch of Math professors. They all seemed to enjoy it for a few minutes, but then they all came to the same conclusion. It was a time suck that didn’t have a place in their lives of research and teaching.
    It was a few years back when I read an article on Slate that declared “Desktop Tower Defense*” to be their game of the year. In justifying that decision they referenced their disability/disinterest in sticking with any of that year’s 10-20 hour games that dominated the critical discussion on other videogame sites and forums. DTD provided the quick, easy in – easy out, experience that fit their interest and commitment level to videogames. The writer still had an interest in the cultural significance of videogames and in business aspects of game developers and platform creators, but they didn’t seem to realize that they weren’t actually a gamer.
    It’s only in gaming that this phenomina seems to occur. Working movie reviewers don’t leave 20 minutes into most films and movie buffs try to view both a breadth of current releases and a depth of classic films. Book reviewers expect to spend over 10 hours with most novels and don’t shrink when faced 40 hour epics like the ASOIAF books and everything Peter Hamilton has written. Gaming media seems to be the only place that promotes the writing of people who just don’t seem that into gaming. Like I said before, calling someone “not a gamer” isn’t an insult. Really, it’s closer to a complement, but if you post something like this as a mainline RPS article rather than a forum post, then I am confused. What does this writer have to add to the discourse of videogames?**

*I think that was the game, it might have been some other similar title.
    **I despise rhetorical questions. When I phrased this as a question it was because I am genuinely interested in hearing responses from either the RPS staff or members of the community.

• satan says:

Yeah I remember showing the next big thing (might have been a early mmo) to a friend when we were both just shy of 20, he agreed it was amazing, but just flat out said “looks like it’d take too much time”, the maturity/honesty at the time really shocked and kinda impressed me.

As for your question I hope to get some time to come back and give my answer later.

• Xelos says:

There od no need to think of yourself as “less mature” because you spend a lot of time playing videogames. I have never met a single individual* who spent 100% of their waking hours on productive activities, it’s straight-up impossible. Whether that watch movies, read books or take maps we need time to recover and release accumulated stress. “You don’t have time for anything. You make time for things you find important.”

*I like to think of myself as a mature individual: I work full time, have some freelance work after that, am happily married for almost a decade now and still find 1-2 hours almost every day for videogames.

• dr.mabuse71 says:

Good little branchoff’ in the discussion, albeit an true and tried one, not least when it comes to computergames.

Being a Scandinavian I might be biased in that we value short-effecient workhours. If you’r done at 2pm.: then go home at 2pm!

The last 3 years I’ve had my own company and I openly admit I make a virtue of working MAX. 20hours/week. A normal ‘day at the office’ can be 2-4hours. During those hours I try to be intensely efficient: not 2min’s ‘staring out the window’ or facebook-surfing. Then I’m done. Customers are happy because I dont waste their time but value each second of it..

And then… I’m off to my girlfriend (she works a normal 60h/week as a career scientific researcher. Yikes) and pc-gaming.

Average week:
          Work 14-20hrs.
          Family 15-30hrs.
          Gaming 100hrs.? ;- ]

– Gaming relaxes my brain, I get new ideas for my company while keeping the ‘slavepart’ of my brain busy and the action-games train me at being… efficient when I do work.

Had 10years as professional athlete, so that taught me that “Efficient is Way more important that ‘just-being-there’ attitude”.

Have a good day, and remember to game’!

/Dr. Mabuse

• MattM says:

In response to you and Xelos, I agree that adults can live productive, fulfilling lives and still find time for plenty of gaming and that there isn’t anything wrong with that. It’s how I live. But the people I admire the most tend to be academics and entrepreneurs who’s time is so in demand that the concept of playing a 60+ hour rpg is ridiculous to them. They consider that in that time they could have engaged in some serious self improvement or made real progress on something like a paper or and invention that would add to the world at large. It’s a lifestyle that I lived for a while. I remember when I saved FFX-2 for a summer vacation because I knew that 80 hours of playtime wasn’t something I could afford in my weekly life without spreading it over 16 weeks. I eventually left that life for a more sedate existence in 40 hour/week jobs because it was more stressful than I could handle. I brought up my respect for non-gamers to try and soften what I said in the next paragraph. It didn’t seem like the author of the post is a gamer and I don’t think that non-gamers should be hired to provide commentary on gaming any more than I think a newspaper should hire a film critic who sees 3 movies a year.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

>>What does this writer have to add to the discourse of videogames?
      Well, the link to the NPC dialog video was great – I’ve been having NOLF in my backlog for ages and haven’t yet played it, despite being a huge fan of nearly all Monolith’s works and their fresh approach to introducing lots of “casual dialogs” in even the most serious settings for their games. Not a huge fan of spy action, though, but this video has reminded me that I need to play it ASAP.

The rest of the article, and forgive me for my rude expression – English ain’t my first language so it’s hard to measure the actual weight some spoken words are swinging with – is a Capital Twaddle.
      Some of the articles even from the seasoned RPS contributors do suffer from the same effect, but, at the very least, they have respect for addressing readers with a blunt “you” very sparringly and only if absolutely needed (also, they’re generally funny to read)

• MattM says:

Oh yeah, the NOLF games are culturally significant. Despite their advanced age, I can’t think of any modern games that explored the same space that they did. NOLF 1 hewed pretty close to the linear corridor shooter with story format that was popularized by HL1 but it’s James Bond/Austin Powers flavor was great. NOLF 2 took it further and on many levels it’s mechanics enforced stealth super-spy behavior that I found super fun and that I can’t really find in any modern games. The closest successors that I can think of are the Hitman games and that’s a 3rd cousin relation at best. I’d love to see some games that pick up where NOLF 2 left off, mechanically. (I enjoyed the plot of the NOLF games but I am far more interested in games that iterate on it’s mechanics than games that continue it’s story.)

• KenTWOu says:

Well, the link to the NPC dialog video was great…

That video is almost on par with that famous Deus Ex meme. When someone mention NOLF, someone will mention that NPC dialogue. It’s really getting old.

• hungrycookpot says:

IMO that’s sort of par for the course for RPS writers. Most reviews here boil down to “I dicked around for 2 hours [crashing my vehicle on purpose/attacking friendly NPCs/mismanaging my colony or organization] and accomplished nothing, so I really can’t tell you much about the functionality or features in the game. It’s colorful and they talk about issues that interest me tho!”

• Babymech says:

Book reviewers expect to spend over 10 hours with most novels and don’t shrink when faced 40 hour epics like the ASOIAF books and everything Peter Hamilton has written.” Well. Die-hard fantasy / SF bloggers might not, but yeah… the rest of the world, including actual book reviewers, would wilt a little.

• April March says:

I think you’re stretching what he said. He just said he’d been out of the loop regarding videogames for a while – and for very good reasons, I’d think. It’s been times in the past which I went for over a year without even rememebering video games existed – not for any reason in particular, just because that was my headspace at the time. But I’m still here, I still like games, I still care about them, I still identify with their cultural elements. Brock is no different.

5. Kalmyr says:

It might be the nostalgia talking, but these games were awesome.

Risingson says:

Guys, what’s your problem? Really. Cannot understand your reaction lately and your plain bullying to this guy.

Nolf was one of the few originals I took to London when I moved here. Yes, let’s play it.

• mac4 says:

Not very nice at all, is it. Katharine when she got on here was getting the same cold welcome by some. You’d think some readers have a problem with change.

(There’s an email address on RPS’s “about” page btw where I imagine people can leave their thoughts on site editorial questions, if they feel so pressed. Remember either way, that’s a human being you’re addressing.)

NOLF 1 + 2 are in my backlog (thanks to the very articles and their comments linked to above), and I’ve been kind of jumping from game to game of late looking for something that sticks, so, sure, why not. If I’ll get all wordy about it in a week is another thing.

• Don Reba says:

Both Brock and Katharine compare poorly with RPS’s usually witty reporting and Laird’s insightful hardware commentary, so the community expressed its disappointment. It’s not change, but change for the worse that’s unwelcome.

Ninja Dodo says:

Some people are just being assholes. Kinda doubt some of the folks leaving these comments are even regular readers tbh.

• Landiss says:

While I agree that people were a bit overreacting, have you seen the original article about the farming game? It has been heavily edited afterwards. Someone posted a link to webarchive with the first version in the comments, but the post was quickly deleted.

Anyway, it was really, really terrible, full of vitriol and hatred. Maybe it would pass without any comment on some other sites, but here on RPS it just looked so much out of place. Sure, John Walker occasionally writes a review that’s very negative about some game, but it’s done in a completely different style.

Another thing is just the language. I’m not a native speaker, so maybe it’s in part my fault. In any case, I find it hard to follow some of the overly long sentences that simply seem to be grammatically incorrect or at least clumsy. It seems less literary and more like talking. Or simply writing words just as they appear in your mind without editing. Then there are errors, misspellings etc.

To be honest, after seeing the article about drinking I just assumed the guy was hammered and that no one was providing any editing or supervision.

To sum it up – this is simply not the quality I got used to on the site and I think it’s fine to voice it. Nevertheless, I agree the critique should be aimed toward the work, not toward the man himself.

• doodler says:

I agree, the critique for me is definitely the writing. Long rambling sentences, spelling mistakes and some grammatical things that just seem out of place. It might be because it is the weekend and they aren’t being read by anyone else beforehand or maybe he hasn’t had the best topics lately.

However that original farming article has put a bias in my brain that will definitely be hard to shake

7. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I’ll do this, op.
    I only played the sequel back in the day, I don’t think I appreciated it on the same level as everyone else, and I’ve been meaning to try 1, so this is as good of a push to finally install it as any.

8. haldolium says:

tbh I think the original NOLF didn’t age too well.

After the initial comment from Indigo on the HYP? article from John I got boh and started playing the first again. While still rather lovely in terms of story, the actual gameplay falls a bit short and tends to be more on the “7/10” side of shooters.

I have to play 2 again to see if its much better, but I think so. I recently played through Tron 2.0 and it still holds up pretty good.

• Marclev says:

That was the case back in the day as well, you’ve simply discovered that PC gamers like their rose tinted glasses.

The reviews at the time were along the lines of “Great story and immersion, ok shooting” and I also recall my reaction when playing it all those years ago being much the same.

I also seem to remember it being a very long game, with its fair share of bugs, that outstayed its welcome a bit towards the end.

The sequel didn’t hold my attention past the first level for whatever reason. It’s been a long time, but I vaguely remember something about infinitely spawning ninjas causing me to rage quit and I never picked it back up again.

9. Ravel says:

I applaud your initiative, NOLF is definitely a game you should have played if you haven’t yet. However, if you truly didn’t play it, I’m not sure you’ll enjoy it as much as you think you would. While the characters and the story are still great, it really didn’t age too well. Or it’s just too old, maybe. 18 years is a loooooooong time and there’s a lot of stuff you’ll have to put up with in order to enjoy it. I’d be curious to rea d whether you actually enjoyed your experience or not :)

That being said: It was absolutely stunning back then. I still remember so many levels and scenes, it’s unreal. It was truly great back in his time and should have had WAY more success imo.

10. pookie191 says:

I remember having it back in the day and loved the concept but damn was it a buggy mess for me. I never got further than I think it was the second mission before I kept getting a CTD

11. Nelyeth says:

Okay, I’m going to try and be more lenient with Mr Willbur henceforth. I’m still a bit pissed about the Pure Farming original article, which was absolutely terrible and never should have been posted, and I’m still wondering why so many console exclusives got lost and ended up in his drinkamajig article, but as others have said, us RPS readers should do better than this kind of brigading. So, while I still do not like Mr. Willbur’s writing, I’ll try to make this work.

12. kud13 says:

I did play the original a bunch of years back and it was quite good.

I burned out on the second one fairly early on, though, and am yet to go back.

I’d join the author on that quest, but I’ve been purposefully chipping away at by backlog for the past 3 months, and i’d like to keep that momentum going.

13. Michael Fogg says:

speaking of NOLF, I recommend a brand new series retrospective by youtuber Kim Justice link to youtube.com

14. poliovaccine says:

Ever since they were bought by Eurogamer or whichever it was, a lotta folks have been crowing pre-emptively about the general decline in quality that would oh so inevitably bring to the site. Then this new face appears, leading off with stuff like the drinking games article, in which he self-identifies as American, and wherein we learn his name is Brock – sort of a stereotypically masculine name, no matter the individual. I seriously think that roughly this combination of factors is what teed off this territorial pissing. Because it started before the farming article.

I also think that, on some level, Mr Wilbur might have realized that much, at least that he was being hazed like an unwelcome newcomer, and that played into this article, which ostensibly is about NOLF, but which opens by clarifying, “Hey, I know you guys think I’m ‘new here,’ but actually I was here and then left so goddamn long ago that none of YOU newbies even *remember* me.” Whether that was conscious or not, I don’t think it was an accident that he mentions the fact he *quit* RPS before many of us ever joined it. Cus like I say, he probably noticed he was getting hazed by a bunch of nerds with hangovers.

Not to mention – so far I’ve seen him lambasted for frivolity, but take a look through the oh so beloved Pip’s backlog of articles if you want to see pure frivolity being purely celebrated.

But I mean… in the drinking games article he says, “Here in America, it is St. Patrick’s Day,” and a bunch of people didn’t even give credit to the notion that juuust might be a *joke,* a tongue in cheek fucking *joke* playing on the popular stereotype of American obliviousness – underestimation I think must be tied to that same stereotype. Some of those games being console exclusives was a bit of a gaffe – but most people on this site use consoles as well as PC, so gee, maybe he wasn’t so wrong to assume you actually HAVE played Conker’s Bad Fur Day, even if you’re posting on a PC site right now. I’ve played that enough to recognize the reference in the article and I never owned *any* consoles, most I ever did was play em at friends’ houses.

I think I actually did play NOLF back in the day, but I don’t even remember anymore. I know I played NOLF 2 cus I replayed it last year or something, but it’s possible I only ever played a demo of the original.

So yknow what? I’ll take you up on that pact. I’ll play NOLF this weekend – I know I have it cus when that article first posted I definitely grabbed the links.

I’m sincerely hopeful this bad reaction is for better reasons than I think, but I have a strong feeling that being American, being named Brock, and posting about drinking was altogether a bad lead-in for this clearly international and UK-heavy site. And if that’s the case, that’s extremely lame.

I can’t say it’s because of his frivolity, though. Cus, like I say, all you need to do is look through the beloved Ms. Pip’s backlog of articles to see frivolity utterly celebrated… as well as the author herself, sometimes (often) to a creepy degree.

Long story short, yeah, I’ll join you in NOLF this weekend.

• Landiss says:

“I also think that, on some level, Mr Wilbur might have realized that much, at least that he was being hazed like an unwelcome newcomer, and that played into this article, which ostensibly is about NOLF, but which opens by clarifying, “Hey, I know you guys think I’m ‘new here,’ but actually I was here and then left so goddamn long ago that none of YOU newbies even *remember* me.” ”

Yeah, well, going with sarcasm against your readership is not the best tactic in my book. Also, if he was ever writing for RPS, it wasn’t for long, as I’m reading the site for several years and I don’t remember him at all. I googled, but couldn’t find any older articles by him here.

And also – it is all because of the farming article, that’s what started it all. If you haven’t seen the original one, before it was edited (and about half was deleted), it’s going to be difficult for you to understand the issue. It’s not about the drinking article. That one was simply mediocre.

• emotionengine says:

Unless they changed his author tag, he only started writing for the site a few days ago: link to rockpapershotgun.com

Maybe Mr. Wilbur meant he used to be an active commenter here?

• emotionengine says:

You raise some interesting points and I guess there may be some truth to the notion of the “in-your-face Americanism” (for lack of a better term) that some may have found offputting. Being neither a Brit nor an American, this isn’t something that really bothered me in any way. The site has hosted U.S. based contributors before and even a staff writer (Nathan Grayson link to rockpapershotgun.com) and I don’t recall there being any kind of ill-will towards them based on that fact alone. I simply mention this as a counterpoint to your notion.

I admit I sounded off as a stern critic of Mr. Wilbur on the weekend by calling him RPS’ worst ever contributor and this may seem harsh or hyperbolic but I stand by my assertion that it is honest and accurate. I say this as someone who has been regularly reading RPS for close to a decade now. To address your point of ill-received frivolity, that is indeed one aspect but it is not the crux of the issue as I see it. To be honest, I was never a fan of Pip’s light-hearted articles either, but I rarely felt the need to voice my criticism because her writing per se, as far as it can be evaluated and discussed separately from its chosen subject matter, was almost always on point.

Rather, it is the subpar standard of writing on Mr. Wilbur’s part that fails to lend support to such frivolity. The problems I have with his prose are not only of arguably superficial nature (spelling, unorthodox syntax, ungainly sentences, etc. … heck, my own grammar is probably worse) but how he just doesn’t seem to “get it”. New Games Journalism (as a shorthand for this site’s basic modus operandi) is all about personality and subjectivity in games writing and that’s great. It’s why we enjoy RPS so much after all.

Mr. Wilbur’s writing reads like the work of someone who appreciates this, then tries to emulate the method without really understanding how or why it can be so effective. It’s a fine line to tread, indeed it’s something of an art to do well, which is why a great piece or line reads so brilliantly when it works but can fall flat on its face when it doesn’t. In short, his attempts at stream-of-consciousness, referential/offbeat humour and subjectivity often miss the mark and end up sounding like a poor imitation of the real thing. (A concrete example of such a misstep is his Q.U.B.E. 2 piece where I called him out, rather incisively, I admit, in the comments). Which makes the whole thing worse than if he had just delivered his material straight without the flourishes.

There’s more: No other writer here straight up blockquotes entire paragraphs from press releases or other external sources that end up taking up more than half the body of the entire article. Most of the time, this information is expressed in the writer’s own words (there are exceptions of course) and topped with the magic “RPS sauce” to make it palatable for our greedy eyes, instead of quoting verbatim. And with good reason. Not only are extensive blockquotes mentally taxing through sheer nature of formatting and context switching (“oh so this is not the article… it’s something else… it’s where do they say this… who, why… ah ok, back to the main body text, got it”), they can be also incredibly dull and or needlessly extensive or otherwise inappropriate. The fact that we take these separate write-ups for granted that don’t overburden with extensive and often redundant blockquotes is a testament to the skill of the writer. (Ironically, Mr. Wilbur actually does offer an on-point summary in the opener of his Yucatan piece but needlessly blockquotes that same content immediately afterward). It just accentuated another strike against what I personally perceived as some kind of unseen style bible the articles here usually adhered to.

I’ll admit that Mr. Wilbur’s pieces made me raise an eyebrow or two before the Farm Simulator article because they were somewhat tonally distinct and a little lacking compared to the usual fare. It absolutely was the Farm Simulator article in its unedited, original form where he completely went off the rails and offered what can only be described as an unmitigated disaster of a write-up. To make matters worse, it seemed Mr. Wilbur was on weekend duty and was handed the keys to Castle Shotgun without editorial supervision. I don’t have an issue with the DmC Remaster article but his other pieces were, to my eyes, decidedly and flamboyantly sub-par, to put it mildly. Maybe the thought that I didn’t want all those people to whom I’d recommended RPS as a fresh and quality take on games journalism to come here, possibly for the first time, and be greeted with this less than stellar material weighed on my mind, but it started making me somewhat cross.

Even after all of this, I still think this very article we are commenting on has its own share of problems that I won’t bore you to death pontificating on. The point is, it is my humble opinion that Mr. Wilbur is not ready for prime time here (yet?). I am sad to say that based on what he has delivered so far, I can’t even in good faith offer a tired “but he shows promise” qualifier. However, I will reiterate my initial cautious hope (which I mentioned in the Farming article) that he will improve over time.

But not that any of this matters anyway, it’s just the random ramblings of one commenter here.

*And btw, the Decline and Fall of RPS has officially been set in motion not by their assimilation into the Gamer’s Nexus Hive, and also not with the departure of Kieron Gillon, nor of Jim Rossignol but of one Quintin Smith (link to rockpapershotgun.com), who sadly left this parish before… he should have. This is INDISPUTABLE FACT.

• sharpmath says:

Do you not drink in the UK?

15. Shinard says:

Up for that. NOLF has been on my list for far too long. Assuming I can drag myself away from Mount and Blade, I’d be more than happy to fix that.

16. Jokerme says:

I played the first one recently and it was plenty of fun. Second one however? It felt very weak. Gameplay wasn’t fun, it was slow compared to NOLF, and felt too cluttered.

• mitrovarr says:

Yeah, I agree about the gameplay. The second game is a bit more comedic and has a lot of awesome ridiculous setpieces (like fighting a ninja in a trailer house that’s being swept up into a tornado, or shooting mime assassins from the back of a burly man riding a tiny bicycle) but the actual gameplay felt a little weaker. I also didn’t like that they removed the ability to pick your own loadout, so you could take ridiculous weapons into stages (like using the space station laser gun anywhere, or taking the spear gun on purely land missions).

They’re both great games, though. Just for different reasons.

17. cpt_freakout says:

I’ll give it a shot, but I might not make it all the way to the end (I need like three weeks to finish a 10 hour game!). I’ve never played NOLF so it’s as good an opportunity to do it as any!

18. KidWithKnife says:

This game is so super dope it’s nutty. If you haven’t played it and you aren’t immediately turned off by the dated graphics engine, play it. It’s a real gem.

19. Rituro says:

I actually managed to finish NOLF a few months ago after a decade-plus wait. Definitely worthy of all the praise bestowed on it. Driving sequences are about the only real clunker — thankfully, there are mercifully few of them.

Now, to see if I can muster the attention span to tackle NOLF2…

20. Beefsurgeon says:

NOLF was great! I didn’t get too far with the sequel, because it ran terribly on the out-of-date machine I had when it came out. Maybe it is time to revisit.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder and welcome back!

21. MrEvilGuy says:

I tried to get my S/O / gf / partner to play NOLF 1 recently and she liked it, but the level design gets a bit drawn out and over-lengthy.

22. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Wow, there’s a lot of… discussion going on here. Eesh.

Er, I love NOLF and NOLG2, still own original copies, even reviewed NOLF when it first came out, at a long-forgotten site. I couldn’t say enough good things about it.

I played through NOLF and its vacation ‘addon’ about 2 years back, and started NOLF2, but I always get frustrated in the India levels. So I set it aside.

I wish the NOLF PS2 levels were available for PC. But nobody has ported them, or perhaps can.

Contract Jack does not exist. Let’s put it that way.

23. quasiotter says:

Just reporting that I did the first real mission and it’s quite idiosyncratic, but I’m not quite in the state of mind to play this yet—maybe summer. Yayy!

Waltorious says:

I had a similar idea to this post’s author not long ago… (checks)… oh god it was back in 2012!? Anyway, I got my hands on a physical copy of No One Lives Forever and wrote about it on my personal blog (largely spoiler free in terms of plot, but not in terms of game design), in two parts:

Part 1: link to waltorious.wordpress.com
    Part 2: link to waltorious.wordpress.com

That was back when I only had my head halfway around the thorny issue of female representation in games, but otherwise I think it holds up decently well.

Comment on this story