Six Ages looks every bit the King Of Dragon Pass successor in this teaser

sixages

King Of Dragon Pass is one of that games that speaks to me like no other. It is all of my favourite things blended together. It is a generator of sagas. It’s part tribal management game, part Choose Your Own Adventure romp, and it was doing a lot of what Crusader Kings 2 has become known for way back in 1999. I’m beyond excited, then, about the announcement of a spiritual successor from the some of the first game’s creators: Six Ages. Check out the teaser trailer below.

The actual announcement happened all the way back in 2014, but who remembers what the world was like that long ago? Six Ages is due out this year, however, so let’s start talking about it again. It sounds a lot like its predecessor; managing and placating your tribe, dealing with gods and monsters, and chatting to your helpful roster of advisors. Even the brief glimpse of the UI calls to mind Dragon Pass. The world itself might be recognisable too, as we’re returning to Glorantha.

Between the start of Six Ages’ development and now, King Of Dragon Pass got a fresh coat of paint and a re-release on PC and mobile. The improvements are minor and it was begging for a more full-featured update, but it’s still the definitive version, and less than a tenner, to boot. It’s on Steam, and well worth a punt if you’d like to see why Six Ages is a rather exciting prospect. You can also still get the original edition bundled with the new one on GOG, where it’s a lot cheaper.

Here’s a snippet from Alec’s King Of Dragon Pass review:

“King Of Dragon Pass might look simplistic and even a little cheesy, but it is enormous, smart and fiendish. Choose your own adventure writ at the grandest scale, and a chance to tell your own history, not a mere legend. While the ‘new’ version is only a baby step towards technological contemporariness and cuts far too many corners on PC, it is nonetheless a more accessible improvement over its 90s ancestor, and most of all it’s a very good excuse to embark upon one of the most rewarding, compelling and tragedy-strewn adventures you’ll ever have.”

1. Heavenfall says:

Look, I’m not saying I don’t care about the health of my people, or the ancient oaths it is my duty to maintain, or the mysterious spirits hiding in the wastelands. But what I really want to know is – do I get to muster an army and invade any duck villages?

2. BaaBaa says:

I love the idea of KoDP, bought it multiple times over the years, and started countless games, but I have to admit I’ve never finished any one of them with an ending other than losing all the tribe’s cows and/or heads. The amount of choice is bewildering and it feels like no matter what I’d do on a given turn, I’d be neglecting something else that’d turn out to be critical. While I still had lots of fun, I’m not sure where or how this next game is aiming to improve. The trailer might as well have been for the original game.

• dgdg says:

Agreed. I’ve tried the game multiple times, but I’m never really certain what it is that I’m doing. I get that cause and effect are deliberately murky in this type of game, but I think King of Dragon Pass is compounded with a large number of UI issues that make it very difficult to get a decent handle on the current state of your tribe. It’s simple things, like having to individually ask each one of your advisers for their opinions – which means an info gathering task is split into multiple sub-actions unnecessarily.

If they can bring KoDP into a more modern UI it could be great. Unfortunately, the brief glimpse of the UI does not fill me with confidence.

• Aetylus says:

Ditto here. I’ve always liked the idea of the game and been jealous of those who have found a way to enjoy it. But I’ve always just hit a wall of opaqueness and clunky UI.

I’d hoped for a remake, and even a good re-skin might have sufficed. The trailer really does look like they have stuck very closely to the original… which doesn’t bode well for a game from 1999.

• dontnormally says:

Same

• dontnormally says:

I’m exactly here with you and hope the devs take notice since this spiritual successor seems quite nice.

• Faldrath says:

When I bought KoDP for my phone, I had to read the included manual to figure the game out. It’s still a very old-school experience. I admit I sometimes cheated during heroquests as well, because the risks of failure were too high.

Still, it’s a wonderful game, and well worth learning. Very curious about this successor.

• RabbitIslandHermit says:

The thing that makes KoDP tricky and one of the several things that make it unique is that it’s extremely important to choose what you, superstitious leader of a clan with a long history of myths and mysticism, would do instead of what the person in front of the computer monitor would do. It sort of flies in the face of the entirety of video game history (which is great).

• geerad says:

There are many ways to play, but I find the EASIEST strategy is to aggressively pursue trade. During the intro, select Issaries, the talking god, as the first god you contacted or whatever to start with a temple to him. Send out caravans to try to start trade routes with your neighbors until you’ve maxed them out, then upgrade your temple to Issaries so you can get more trade routes.

Pretty soon, you’ll be raking in many cows’ worth of goods. Use these as sacrifices to the gods instead of cows; gift them to other tribes to improve relations; buy Treasures from other tribes with them; pay for fortifications to help defend from raids; give them to your people to improve their mood; etc.

If you’re playing the short game, there are few problems that cannot be solved with massive amounts of goods. In the long game, it’s possible to fail one die roll in a long chain of events and therefore be unable to win. My advice for that is to save scum without compunction.

• Someoldguy says:

That’s an interesting approach. I was always tempted to try and expand the clan numbers, which was possible to do reasonably easily once you got the hang of it. However just when you got able to comfortably see off raids from other tribes and could concentrate on mystical stuff you’d get an event that split your clan in half. That got really frustrating.

• Ethalis says:

Same, I love the game, I’ve spent dozens of hours playing it, but every single one of my playthroughs ended up horribly bad. I just feel like the randomness of some key actions (hero quests, battles, events …) can ruin your hours-long games in a matter of seconds. The risk/reward ratio isn’t explained clearly, and I always ended up making a bad decision like getting my best ring member killed

3. revan says:

Excited for this. On the subject of KDoP remake, it looks fine on my phone, but PC version has a lot of bugs still (unable to read the manual and sagas on Steam version, for example). It’s also a lot uglier than the original. So I stick with the original from GOG.com.

4. Condylostylus says:

Just because cicadas are sometimes called “locusts” doesn’t mean they actually eat crops!

Comment on this story