World Of Warcraft’s Vulpine could be another Allied Race

Vulpera1

The early introduction of World Of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth’s Allied Races is a big part of the reason I am once again traipsing through Azeroth and beyond. They’re new races, like the spooky Void Elves, who you can play as once you make friends with them and complete a series of quests. Any excuse to add an alt to my disgusting collection. But more Allied Races are coming, a few of which have been uncovered already. And dataminers may have found another one: Vulpera.

Vulpera are new to World Of Warcraft and Blizzard have yet to confirm that they’ll be one of the Allied Races. The reason dataminers from the Vulpera Hype Caravan Discord and WoWhead, which posted gifs and screenshots of various Vulpine models, think it could be another allied race is the abundance of animations and customisation options. It just seems like overkill for a race nobody will ever play.

Here are just a couple of them.

vulpera2

vulpera3

The model definitely seems to be based on the pre-existing Goblin model. Shave the fur and chop off the snout and you’ve basically got a very surprised, quite annoyed Goblin.

There’s some vigorous discussion in the WoWhead comments as people try to figure out whether they’ll be Horde or Alliance, and it’s definitely swayed me into thinking it’s more likely to be the former than the latter. I don’t have a fox in this race, however, as I can’t stand the fluffy-tailed arseholes, screaming outside my window at 3am as they fight over trash. Gross.

Battle for Azeroth is expected out on or before September 21, but Blizzard haven’t announced an official release date yet.

1. zulnam says:

Sure why not, fuck around more with my childhood why don’t you. Why not add pandarens as a playable race while you’re at it; lol jk nobody would be THAT stupid. That would be like making an expansion around time travel and starting the lore explanation about it with “don’t think about it too much”.

• Nauallis says:

lol

• Fraser Brown says:

I know there’s a lot of time travel in WoW, but as far as I know Blizzard can’t actually go back in time and do anything to your memories of the game.

• SaintAn says:

By changing the lore they can. The lore changes in the horrible Chronicles books have ruined all of Warcraft for me.

• ColonelFlanders says:

You actually consumed the garbage lore in that game? I hope it was enjoyed ironically.

• Hoot says:

I’m with you, man. The last great WoW experience was Wrath of the Lich King.

The whole time bending mess they started with the lore was just far too…well…messy. Oh yeah, and that they made an old piece of concept art and an April Fool’s joke into a entire race that they launched a shoddy expansion off the back of did the game no favours.

Speaking of the art style these days, I still have the Warcraft 2 and 3 manuals stacked in the back of a cupboard somewhere in the house, the Diablo manuals too. Man, the art style back then was so much better.

• Asurmen says:

Except the Pandarens were introduced in Warcraft 3.

Also Cataclysm was better.

• Dewal says:

Oh come on guys. They added aliens, spaceships and energy domes right in the 2nd extension and you’re complaining about the existence of a umpteenth race of humanoid animals ? We had human COWS from the beginning, human wolves and snakes too. Then we got human pandas that were already present in Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne. Now they just added human foxes, it’s not that shocking.

2. dontnormally says:

Great.

Warcraft 4?

3. Bull0 says:

Who even really wants new races at this stage? Starting again from level 1 is a really dull time now.

• ReluctantlyHuman says:

Well in fairness, you start from level 20 as any of the allied races. But with the recent changes to the leveling process (some good, some less good in my opinion), I am not looking forward to doing this umpteen more times. The more cynical among us might suggest this is just a way to get their players to buy more race change tokens.

• Xelos says:

If I remember correctly you can change a race of an existing character using (not-so)microtrandations.

• mem5000 says:

I leveled a void elf priest from 20 to 110… it took about 3 weeks, playing off and on. Can’t say I see myself ever doing that again!

• Dewal says:

The quality of the quests was greatly improved in cataclysm, with a real story progression (felt like single player RPG sometime) but the main problem was the fact that the pexing was far too fast and often you had to leave a zone before finishing the story. Now that they making everything scalable, everyone will be able to only play the zones they love the most in any order they want. So I’m thinking the pexing will be far less boring than before (except for the BC part)

• Bull0 says:

Cata did improve things a lot but that was AGES ago now. The change they’ve made to scale the old world content to your level is a good one though which I had forgotten about and which gives you loads of freedom to choose what to do and explore a bit more.

• SaintAn says:

You could still do the quests if you overleveled the area so that was just a dumb excuse to make leveling tougher to sell more level boosts. They force the level scaling on everyone, it’s not something you can toggle on or off so it just makes leveling way way slower. My friend returned to the game for the first time since MoP and made me resub to play with him right after that update and leveling was unbearably slow, and the phasing and sharding made the experience even worse. I ended up abandoning him and returning to FFXIV.

• Bull0 says:

Levelling would probably be faster overall with the scaling change because you don’t have to hike across the map to get to level appropriate quests to keep going, but they also upped the xp requirement for levelling 1 to 60 in the same update iirc which might be what did it. Problem is most players have a full set of XP-boosting heirloom gear these days so they probably balance it to that.

4. Biscuitry says:

And all the furries go nuts. Again.

• Phasma Felis says:

I hear from people who are afraid that furries might like something way more than I hear from actual furries liking that thing.

• Ghostwise says:

I think that’s the point. A community that’s small and harmless enough that one can endless proclaim hating them without getting punched back.

• notponies says:

And even if furries like this it’s not like it’ll affect everyone else much. There’s plenty of other things furries like, some of which don’t even have animal characters in them.

• notponies says:

I’m not going to attempt to argue for or against furries and things that furries like.

But could we maybe not have yet another argument over whether this latest rendition of animalish humanoids count as furry?

5. lfcifer7 says:

God I hope not, it’s such an obvious “nod” to the Asian MMOs, trying to lure in some of that crowd I guess. But even the Void Elves and Draenei had some introduction. Why would they let us play as a brand new, unheard of race? Any attraction they have is purely aesthetic, there’s not yet any lore, any… anything.

6. RayEllis says:

One thing is for sure…. those Goldshire Inn “activities” will be even more bizarre.

7. Uberwolfe says:

Looks like the Chua race from Wildstar

• Zenicetus says:

Or the cute Fox-head mammal race in Stellaris that shows up so often as forum avatars.

8. satan says:

Of the dozens of existing races that would fit perfectly as a new playable one, they skip over all of them for reskinned goblin foxes?

If they wanted a fluffy race why not furbolgs? They’d fit in either faction and they’ve been around since Warcraft3. They could pair them with a not-fluffy faction for the other side, like perhaps the nerubians, the contrast would be great.

9. Vickers says:

I’m getting tired of them adding races with absolutely no lore, void elves were bad enough. Pandaren were fine because they were around since Warcraft 3, even if they started out as a joke. Where’s the naga or ogres? Nah they want to reuse skeletons, hell even the kul tiras humans are just reskinned draenor orcs.