Play Sea Of Thieves for free with the Xbox Game Pass

sea of thieves free

Sea Of Thieves hit the high seas last night, which is probably why I’m a little bit sleepy this morning. Since reviews aren’t up yet, you might be appropriately hesitant about jumping into the water. Even pirates do their due diligence. But waiting is also incredibly boring, so it’s a good thing that you can potentially play the game for absolutely nothing with the Xbox Game Pass.

The Xbox Game Pass is Microsoft’s subscription service which nets you a bunch of Xbox 360 and Xbox One games for a monthly subscription cost. In the UK it’s £7.99. The service also includes a few Xbox Play Anywhere titles, which let you play on Xbox and a Windows 10 PC. There are only a handful of these games on the Xbox Game Pass, but that now includes Sea Of Thieves.

If you purchase the Xbox Game Pass, you’ll be able to download and play Sea Of Thieves until your subscription ends. I can’t see the game’s four or five activities, as fun as they are, keeping me interested for longer than a month, and if you’re the same, you’ll have saved over £40.

But I said “absolutely nothing”, and £7.99, as cheap is it is, is not free. If you’ve already used the Xbox Game Pass, that’s as low as it’s going to get I’m afraid. If you’re a new customer, however, you can select the free trial, getting access to Sea Of Thieves (along with Halo Wars, Gears of War 4 and a few other titles) for a fortnight. Just remember to cancel it before the two weeks are up or you’ll pay for another month.

It’s a pretty handy service, especially for a game like Sea Of Thieves, which still has quite a few question marks surrounding it. And while the roster of PC games is currently very small, we’re going to see a lot more of them appear on Xbox Game Pass, including State of Decay 2 in May.

1. Andrew says:

Does anyone tried it? It mentions only Xbox One, so I’m still a bit suspicious.

2. Spakkenkhrist says:

I think you’re missing the big scoop that Farming Simulator 15 is included with the XBox pass.

• Guvornatwo says:

And Casey Powell Lacrosse 16! The world’s foremost, and indeed only, Xbox One Lacrosse sim! Normal price – only forty (yes, 40) quid! LACROSSE!(Bonus Lacrosse fact: Native Americans invented the sport and they would also play the game to resolve minor conflicts between tribes that were not worth going to war for, thus the name “little brother of war”)

• Someoldguy says:

You need Construction Site Simulator 15 if you want to use the big scoop.

3. NimbusTLD says:

What is the list of games on the Xbox Game Pass available on PC? I can’t seem to find one.

4. BaronKreight says:

Im personally not interested in this game. But If someone in Russia was eager for a pirate theme indie game he could buy Blackwake for example. Its price is 419 RUB whic is almost 10 times lower than Sea of Thieves. Think about it. 10 times.

5. Dominic Tarason says:

While the Game Pass is definitely better value for money if you own an XBone, the PC version of the subscription isn’t awful. At present, it gets you:

Gears of War 4
    Halo Wars 1 & 2 (only the regular edition of 2, no expansion)
    Super Lucky’s Tale
    Zoo Tycoon
    Riptide GP
    Recore
    Sea of Thieves

And coming soonish, State of Decay 2, and after that, Crackdown 3. Plus whatever games they choose to make Play Anywhere over the next few months. They should stop being daft and just port Halo 5 already.

And yeah, you can do anything on any platform with the free trial.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I suspect they won’t port Halo (the FPS series at least) because they fear losing the players to the PC where they won’t be locked into the XBox ecosystem.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Aw yiss, Zoo Tycoon :p

I have been wanting to check out Gears 4 and Recore; this actually seems like a solid deal.

• BaronKreight says:

The thing is I don’t own Xbox, I’m not interested in owning it and I don’t need xbox pass on PC. I heard somewhere that xbox pass was like 600 RUB but I would I buy it on PC? Without xbox pass option this games price is sky high in Russia.

6. Rince says: