Hitman’s second episode is free for keepsies right now

The second episode of the fab sneak-o-murder sandbox Hitman is free right now, yours for keepsies if you grab it by April 3rd. This is Ian Hitman’s holiday to the sunny Italian seaside town of Sapienza, a colourful maze leading down to beautiful white sands. If you’ve tried earlier free bits of Hitman but weren’t sure about it, do give this a go as Sapienza is so much of an improvement over them.

The episode is available now for free through Steam under the name of the Hitman Spring Pack. Grab it by April 3rd and it’s yours forever. Don’t grab it by April 3rd and… it won’t be free any more?

“You’ll get the main story mission, ‘World of Tomorrow’, 20 levels of Mastery (including weapon and item unlocks), more than 100 challenges, 7 achievements/trophies and ALL of the Escalation Contracts, Challenge Packs and Featured Contracts that we’ve released for Sapienza,” developers IO Interactive explain.

Sapienza’s Elusive Targets will also be playable as Hitman moves through the repeat run of these time-limited murder events. The Guru will be swinging back through Sapienza for ten days from Friday the 23rd.

If you go on to buy the full game, progress from Sapienza will carry over. Do check out Alec’s Hitman season one review for an opinion on the complete thing.

Hitman’s prologue/tutorial chapter is permanently free and IO did give the Parisian first episode away for free for a bit around Christmas. This is way better than either of those. As our Adam said:

“The star of the show is Sapienza itself though. It’s a beautiful maze of possibilities, flowing toward the sea with vantage and access points sprinkled throughout. Wherever and whenever you create a disturbance, the ripples spread, causing all of the systems that make the game tick to trigger, and creating thrills and farce as they combine.”

IO are making more Hitman right now.

1. Gibster says:

It’s a smart business move on their part. They want to get potential future customers of Season 2 on board and Sapienza is one of the game’s best levels.

Personally as someone who bought the game early on and experienced it episodically, Hitman was, in my opinion, one of the most criminally underrated games of its time, largely due to two things: its episodic release schedule, and the always online drm. The full game is out now and the drm issue has been resolved if I remember (I never had any issue with it).

If this gets more people to play and appreciate this game, and generate interest in Season 2, then I am all on board.

If you haven’t played Hitman before you owe it to yourself to give this game a go. It’s a good entry game to the Hitman series (it was my first Hitman game). If you’ve had issues with it previously, whether the poor hardware optimization, the always online drm, or the episodic release model, give it an honest go now and then let me know what you think. It’s free anyways.

• Unclepauly says:

You want me to actually come back here and let you know what I think?

• Faxmachinen says:

Did they fix the part where it only has six levels that are endlessly recycled in the pretense of having more content?

• Dave Mongoose says:

Perhaps your attitude is the thing which needs fixing?

The ‘six levels’ are in general much larger, more detailed, and with more kill opportunities than previous Hitman games, and at least three of the ‘endless recycling’s have entirely new elements like the Sapienza variant with the movie set (The Icon) or the nighttime bazaar version of Marrakesh (A House Built on Sand).

2. Vacuity729 says:

I’ve never played a Hitman game. I guess I’ll give this a try? Judging by the positive responses it’s had; it can’t be too much a waste of my time to try it, right?
    Always be willing to try something new, right?

Right?

• Orchids says:

I was in the same position – wasn’t sure that sneak-o-murder was my cup of tea. I bought the game on a whim based on the good reviews. I really liked it. Sapienza is a brilliantly realised map.

jimmya28 says:

Probably one of the best levels of any game I can think of, recently. Maybe Dishonored 2 could beat it

• Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

Definitely worth a try IMO. It may not be to everyone’s taste but if you like stealth games I think you’ll like this. The missions themselves are great and it’s also a fun sandbox just to mess around in.

3. BockoPower says:

It’s still not activated isn’t it? Or is this region based? I installed the game again (I have the Paris already since the Christmas promo) but it keeps telling me I don’t have Sapienza. There is a “FREE Spring Pack” in the in-game store but it sends me to Steam asking me to install Steam (???). I don’t know, I guess I will check later when they will fix it or whatever the issue is.

• dangermouse76 says:

Are you logged in to steam in browser ? If so ( UK ) after clicking on the spring pack it ses do I have steam installed…..select yes download started.

for me anyway.

• BockoPower says:

I first installed it from the Steam Library. Then tried from the Steam Store. Lastly tried as you suggested from the browser but it’s always the same. It tells me “Downloadable content not installed” and sends me to the store to buy Sapienza without an option to install it for free as they say. I am in Bulgaria, Eastern Europe but it shouldn’t matter as its the general EU Steam (all prices are in Euro too).

• duns4t says:

I’m in the same boat as BockoPower. Had the original Paris promo installed, and accessing the Spring pack with Sapienza while logged into Steam simply launches the Hitman launcher, where the game does not include Sapienza. I’ll give it another try in a couple days, maybe certain workflows aren’t accounted for yet. Is free, after all.

• BockoPower says:

I tried installing it in different ways to see if there’s any difference but it’s same every time. Probably not activated for everyone yet and as you say it will work in few days at worst.

• Akimbo says:

Try clicking the FREE button here link to steamdb.info (sounds fishy, I know, but it’s just a redirect to steam://install/439890). Worked for me.

• BockoPower says:

Oh, thank you! It started downloading it now. There wasn’t any option in the Steam client to download it. Now I see it in the “DLC Items” in the Library. When I press “Find more DLC in Store” it only shows me 3 DLC’s – Blood Money Requem Pack, Patient Zero and the GOTY Outfit Bundle. Without any of the episodes in there.

• Wut The Melon says:

Yay! Thank you ^^ No idea why it doesn’t work normally and like BockoPower I’m not sure I’ll be able to buy other episode individually but happy with these free gifts from IO! :)

• Unclepauly says:

Holy crap I’m in the US and had to use your link as well. Steam has no options anywhere to get the game for me.

• trollface7720 says:

Million thanks, it works!

• ludde says:

Why do they make it so convoluted and overly difficult to become a (potential) customer? The whole episodic thing isn’t the most user friendly thing from the start. They’re shooting themselves in the foot.

4. dangermouse76 says:

I’m getting old I found the menus so complicated to find the Sapienza story missions. Think I have it now.

5. instantcoffe says:

-Open steam
    -Open web browser and go to link to steamdb.info
    -Click “free” button in top-right corner
    -Browser asks if you want to allow steam bootstrapper to handle the link
    -Allow
    -Episode 2 is added to your library

6. MajorLag says:

Free games always act so weird on Steam. In this case, I get the option to “play game” only, and doing so starts a download, and if you cancel that download the game disappears from your library.

So… do I have it for keepsies or not? My game time is currently tied up in Into The Breach, and I have A Hat in Time and Snake Pass queued up next, I’d rather not eat 20GB of SSD and the resulting increase in my backup size until I’ll actually have time to play.

I mean, it’s not something I’m complaining about, free game and all, but it’s still disappointing.

7. Raoul Duke says:

I will never play this game because of its time limited content.

Comment on this story