Co-op jailbreak drama A Way Out finds its way out now

A Way Out

According to it’s launch trailer, A Way Out isn’t officially launching until tomorrow, but that’s just what the man wants you to think. Mental prisons, y’see? Boxes within boxes… That’s how they get ya.

It turns out that the stylish looking two-player adventure (from many of the same minds behind Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons) is out right now. Word on the grapevine is that it’s pretty special stuff, too, assuming you bring a good friend along with you for the ride.

As with Brothers, this is a purely co-op endeavour, although playing locally with a friend is optional this time round. If you’ve got no buddies close to hand, they’re kindly including the option for owners to offer a ‘friend trial’ to the game, inviting someone, somewhere else in the world to play the game free with you. Even if your buddy is remote, the split-screen format remains, and much of the drama looks to be maintained through the perpetually split perspective.

While nobody at RPS has yet been able to assemble the magic trifecta of a review copy, a Special Someone worth playing the game through with (that can also keep to an NDA) and the shared time to enjoy it, we will be delivering our official thoughts at some point soon. In the meantime, a quick peek at some other, less brilliant sites reveals consistently high praise for A Way Out, and several mentions that it’s a hell of a bonding experience.

As the trailer above shows, there’s a lot more to A Way Out than just breaking out of prison. There’s car-chases, parachuting, heists, split-screen drama, some impressive cinematography and what looks like an escalating series of questionable decisions that my gut is telling me can only lead to tragedy. Please don’t consider this a spoiler – I’ve seen no more of the game than you have – but something is telling me that one of those Crime Boys is going to come a cropper.

A Way Out is out now, and you can grab it via Origin for £25/$30. Just remember that only one of you needs to buy the game.

1. Kitsunin says:

“As with Brothers, this is a purely co-op endeavour, although playing locally with a friend is optional this time round.”

Uh, Brothers wasn’t co-op. That was kind of its whole deal.

2. Seraph says:

“you can grab it via Origin”

Ahaha, no, just no. Shame, I was looking forward to playing this one.

3. Halk says:

Hope it will be cracked soon, denuvo = no buy.

• UncleLou says:

Then I hope you do the grown-up thing and don’t play it, or play the cracked version and buy the game anyway, or at the very least spend the money to a charity.

Because otherwise it’ll just look like a poor excuse.

• Evan_ says:

I feel deeply with anyone who hates EA, new virtual storefronts, exclusivity, lootboxes or whatever.

But what’s the matter with denuvo?

• ZigomatiX says:

What is your beef with Denuvo anyway ?
      Even if i myself had troubles with early version of this DRM(ie: degraded perfs), its still aims to secure sales for the first weeks/months.

4. FordTruck says:

this is the type of game that will be completely spoiled and ruined by streamers tomorrow while they play it live in front of thousands and thousands of people

• Evan_ says:

Completely spoiled and ruined by streamers? You mean they will force thousands and thousands of people to watch their stream?

Sorry, but unless a kid yells spoilers to you on the bus, there is no one else to blame.

• Dewal says:

Thank you. It’s weird to accuse someone of spoiling a game when it’s YOU that go on his channel to watch him play it. What kind of backward thinking is that.

• Jokerme says:

And make the game sell more copies? How dare they?

5. Zombra says:

Previews looked great and I’d love to support these devs (Brothers was excellent). Sadly, Origin is a dealbreaker.

6. Elgarion says:

I agree with the few comments above : Origin is clearly a dealbreaker for me. That’s a pity because I loved Brothers.

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

Why?

I’m not sure I understand the hate for Origin itself (though I do understand why people loathe EA). It’s just another download client, and a very slim and streamlined one at that.

Why do so many people thoroughly accept the virtual monopoly that Valve has created for itself, one that I seem to recall everyone absolutely hated when it introduced it on the release of Half-Life 2, but want to deny other publishers the right to do the same? (At least other publishers actually still make games too!)

Yes, it’s not very ‘tidy’ having your games split across multiple clients, but it’s not the end of the world. You can always create a shortcut to games that use other clients in Steam if you want. I have Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG Galaxy, Battle.net and that Bethesda nonsense installed and manage to, y’know, play games. I even have games I bought individually that don’t require any download client whatsoever!!!

• UncleLou says:

Origin is not a dealbreaker for me and I agree with your general point (although I never “hated” Steam), but what makes origin absolutely terrible to use is that it keeps asking me for my bloody password every time it updates. Why? It’s my bloody PC, I have checked “remember my login data”, and yet it does it every fucking time. That’s one reason I never use it unless there is no alternative whatsoever.

Steam *never* does that unless there’s a good reason.

• Dewal says:

I think it’s more about EA than anything else.

I have GOG & Battle.net and don’t really care. But it’d pain me to have to install Origin. I don’t like EA at all and would like to be able to boycott them as much as I could. It’s already annoying to have to give them the money to support the developpers of a possibly very good game (that I’d like to play with my actual brother). To install Origin is supporting EA directly and nobody else and I’d really love to be able to avoid that.

In the end, even though I was very excited, I’m still not sure I’ll play the game or not.

• GameCat says:

Origin in Poland is forcing you to lock game intp Polish language, so for example if you bought a game and want to use English dub instead of Polish EA has only middle finger for you to offer.

• Jokerme says:

Because it’s shit. Simple enough, ye?

• MajorLag says:

> Why do so many people thoroughly accept the virtual monopoly that Valve has created for itself

Because Valve earned it. Valve built a digital distribution channel out of basically nothing, when nobody thought it would work, and during a rather steep decline in PC gaming. It was a hard sell, as you correctly recall, but they kept at it. They improved it, they made it enticing, and they pretty much single handedly saved PC gaming and virtually eliminated most of the reasons people pirated games.

Despite what many particularly entitled professional victims on the internet say, I think Valve has proven time and time again that they do genuinely care about gamers, which isn’t easy because as a culture we’re horrible people. Valve could have made a push for Vive exclusivity using their practical monopoly position, but they didn’t. And they basically kicked off the whole indie game explosion with the Potato Sack.

What did Origin do? It made its own Steam, and said “Hey guys, use our service! It’s just like Steam, but it’s run by your friends at EA!”.

That’s my opinion anyway.

• TheOx129 says:

Eh, I’d say there’s one big area EA trump Valve in on their respective digital distribution platforms: customer service. Valve exhibits the classic tech company issue of “Why hire human beings when we can just tweak ~THE ALGORITHM~ to solve all of our problems?”

Also, EA offered refunds and exchanges and such on Origin for at least a couple of years before Valve did the same on Steam. And, unless I’m misremembering, the only reason Valve began to offer them at all was because they were forced to by the EU if they wanted to continue to do business there. I’m not sure I’d call a company that had to be compelled by a supranational organization into offering something as basic as refunds “gamer friendly.”

• ColonelFlanders says:

which you’re definitely entitled to, even if it’s wrong.

Leucine says:

It’s accepting the Valve monopoly only insofar as it remains a Hobson’s Choice. A company that opens its own store that sells only its own games isn’t really competing against Steam because you don’t have the choice of buying those same games on Steam. Therefore, they aren’t competing (except in the most general sense of both selling games).

The problem is that Valve has a massive amount of inertia behind Steam. For so long it was the only decent service with the result that any competitor that now wants to enter the market has a veritable wall in front of it.

I would very gladly give my business to a competitor (I regularly use GoG) but Origin isn’t it.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

My main reason is: I don’t want to support the concept of installing dedicated DRM/Storefront app for every single biggest publisher, in order to access their games, and I don’t want to encourage Activision and anyone else to gate away their games behind yet another pet storefront (haven’t bought anything from Ubisoft and EA that would require Uplay or Origin). I wouldn’t have even used Steam, but one of their damn 90% summer sales has beat me to it, when they were the only ones in the AAA digital storefront market.

Less important reasons are: refusal to let the company’s sniffer app to sweep the data on my PC whenever it’s idling, using my resources free of charge. If they want the survey stats that in any other business would usually cost a fortune to order from a consultant agency, they’re feel free to offer some form of compensation for collecting the user data they want for their business analysis.

Last, but not least: EA are phenomenal bastards, and the list of sins against the gamers they have commited in their last decade of existence would not fit in max characters limit of this post.

• simontifik says:

Was logging on to ask the same question.

Origin is a much better client than Steam. It’s more streamlined and as far as I’m aware Nazi free.

• Evan_ says:

It’s full of WW2 shooters. Those traditionally have nazis.

• UncleLou says:

I am not sure I would say it is more streamlined. Although I have a tiny faction of games on Origin compared to Steam, I am finding it a little obscure. It seems to insist on showing me the shop rather than the games I already own, for example.

Plus the annoying login issues mentioned above.

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

You can set it to show your games library first and not need to login each time – which I agree is very, very annoying if it doesn’t work for you!

• ruineer says:

can you elaborate on the “Nazi free” part? Are there like huge loads of facists uploading their propaghanda games to steam that i dont know of?

7. Evan_ says:

Trying to get three of my co-op buddies to buy one together on a dummy-account. I’m in no hurry to start, so I won’t mind waiting for the two most eager to finish it.

That business model gonna get me to finally buy a title on Origin. Or a quarter of a title at least.

8. Blowfeld81 says:

Looking forward to playing this one with my best friend. We live quite far apart for the last decade, so games like this or the newer Divinity titles are a welcome thing.

I do not care if this game has Denuvo (never was negatively affected by that) or is on Origin (which is not super terrible anymore, just annoying to start), as enjoying a good game with my friend is more important to me than silly principles or jumping the hate train.

Edith says: Amazing price for a 2 copy co-op game. Will support the devs in the future for sure…

9. Kamestos says:

Scores seem to be all over the place. Some loved it and others point problems.
    It will be interesting to see RPS’s take on this.

10. Avioto says:

The writing is so damn bad in this game, makes me wonder what happened. The writing in Brothers was considerably better.

11. Caiman says:

I was hoping this was like Brothers, that you’d control both in single player, but being co-op only rules me out. Being exclusive to Origin would matter otherwise.

12. KFee says:

Origin, nuff said. Too bad as it looks really interesting.

13. Sascha23 says:

This looks to be on the EA Partners program, so I think it will hit Steam after a certain period of time. I’m sure the team wants their game to eventually sell and sending indie gems like Unravel (which wasn’t a partners title) exclusively to services like Origin feels like a guaranteed way to kill your game’s revenue/future.

14. PiiSmith says:

It is a good game IMHO, but does not surprise me, like Brothers did. Also did not have the same emotional impact. Still I enjoyed my time together with my son.

Comment on this story