The Curse of Monkey Island sails to Steam and GOG

While half the RPS treehouse is swabbing the poop deck in Sea Of Thieves, today a truly mighty pirate has returned. Guybrush Threepwood’s third adventure, The Curse Of Monkey Island, is now available on digital stores after years lost drifting in the Cybergasso Sea. Until now, the best ways to get ahold of the 1997 LucasArts adventure game were to deal with the freebooters on Amazon and eBay or to become a pirate yourself. Now it’s just kicking around cyberstores for a fiver, whenever you want.

This is actually the first Monkey Island I played, and the one that most stuck in my head. Loading it back up now I am delighted by the cartoon art, the groovy rhythms, and the joys of bullying the terrible demon skull Murray. I… don’t know how much more I remember? A big chicken. Jokes. Duelling banjos. Boring pirate ship battles? A horrifying case of sunburn. More bullying Murray. I am glad I can now easily revisit it, though maybe I’d be better with these warm half-memories?

Our Graham and John have both written about the game in recent years too, if you want better-remembered opinions.

The Curse Of Monkey Island is out now on Steam and GOG for £5.19/€6.99/$6.99. It runs through ScummVM, that natty open-source engine for LucasArts adventure games (and so many others these days). GOG also offer a discount on nabbing all the Monkey Island games in their store.

Oh, and Maniac Mansion is now on GOG. It’s been on Steam for a while, and kinda been on GOG in a way too – hidden inside Day Of The Tentacle Remastered. But now GOG sell it separately too.

1. Don Reba says:

I must have left my wallet in my other pants…

2. TehK says:

I don’t care what you all think. I want this!

[Edit]
    Oh wait… it’s already there! Amazing!

3. Turkey says:

Who cares? Bring on the HD remake of Monkey Island 4, you frauds.

I want to scare the duck guy again, and fight the Rupert Murdoch, conglomerate, pirate guy. Give us the opportunity to re-learn all the Monkey Kombat stances, Lucas “Art$.”

Unbelievable!

4. Evan_ says:

I feel I have learned English mainly from this game. Now let’s sing ‘The Pirate I was meant to be’ together!

Risingson says:

Wonderful adventure that was trashed out by fans. Always the fans. Always the “rock is dead” fans.

It has the same glorious mix of macabre and fun than the previous games have, puzzles are spot on, all the dialogues are very well written, and only the final part is a bit meh. Which is a common thing in adventure games. But the music is wonderfullest.

• Michael Fogg says:

But I think it is fair to say that CoMI lacks some of the deconstrucionist elements aimed at ‘Pirates of the Carrabean’ tropes, which makes it feel like a straight pastiche and a bit of a fanfic of the orginal two. On a more surface level it is an excellent adventure (one of the better ones overall, even), sure.

6. Jimbot says:

This is my favorite of the Monkey Island games. It really dialed back a lot of the adventure game logic while still giving you a fun challenge. The writing was really sharp, even though it re-used elements from previous games.

7. Crafter says:

I think it is the first adventure game I have played to as well.

I loved this game a lot as a kid, maybe not so much as an adult since since then I have played to the first 2 MI games.

It is still a great adventure game though

8. Kamestos says:

I was just looking for this game on digital stores the other day (unsuccessfully) !
    That is seriously awesome.

9. aego says:

In other related news, gog.com also announced they are releasing an HD remake of Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2. Which unfortunately seems to be the ugliest and cheapest remake effort I’ve seen since the “remake” trend started.

(Of course this also means the original “legacy” versions won’t be available for purchase separately anymore, only bundled with the newer, more expensive, versions.)

• revan says:

I hate this practice of them bundling originals with HD remakes. The did the same with all the Infinity Engine games (BG, IWD, PS:T). Luckily I had them all before remasters.

Now have to buy second Simon the Sorcerer game before it gets removed.

• criskywalker says:

Heck, those awful filters!

• bill says:

yeah. That’s not a remaster, that’s turning on the strongest filters in scummVM.
      I can already do that… but don’t.

10. rargphlam says:

Curse was my first interaction with Monkey Island as a kid and still has a place in my mind as the game that fostered my love for point and click adventure games. I actually got the manual of my CD copy signed by Dominic Armato at PAX when he was there promoting the Telltale Monkey Island.

11. deiseach says:

Dominic Armato was the second-best piece of video game voice casting ever, after Anything By Jennifer Hale.

12. Vandelay says:

Another person to chime in to say this was their first introduction to the Monkey Island series. It was only recent years that I had any idea that it was maligned by many of the fans (to a lesser extent than the fourth game, of course). Was always my favourite, probably because the puzzles were pitched at just the right level. The originals were far from the worst offenders of random logic puzzle design, but they had their obtuse moments. (I still recall both myself and a friend independently spending hours walking around the opening area of Monkey Island 2 trying to find a spade, only to realise that the “no spades” sign actually was a spade!) Curse also looked absolutely beautiful, with its drawn 2D cartoon look. I can’t imagine there would be any need for any kind of remaster to be done on it.

I still have the original discs lying around, so not too interested in picking this up. Can recommend it to anyone that missed it originally though.

Big Dunc says:

About time! I played a demo of this back in the dark ages but never got around to playing the full game. I’ll happily pay a fiver to complete my Monkey Island collection.

14. DaveOfPowerhoof says:

My 3 year old will be happy! I finished playing Monkey 1 and 2 with him a month ago, but my old copy of MI3 kept crashing after a few minutes of play.

15. revan says:

It was my first Monkey Island game too. Still have my CDs somewhere.

Didn’t know this was trashed by fans. I think it’s a great game. I certainly like it more than the first game.

16. simontifik says:

I’d really like to go back and play Curse again. I played the first 2 games repeatedly because I was a kid with no money and that’s what you did, play the same games over and again. By the time the 3rd game was released I had an income and could afford to only play a game once so it’s mostly forgotten.

17. Transmit Him says:

I still have a copy of this on CD (two actually, as I found a much nicer condition one in a charity shop last year). Is there any benefit to getting the download version over those? I assume it’ll run through ScummVM, same as the CD version does.

• revan says:

With GOG version everything is preset. No need to fiddle with ScummVM. You just install and play. Other than that, it’s the same game.

18. gbrading says:

I’m very happy; Curse of Monkey Island is my favourite in the series. The voice acting, art style, music, story and puzzles are all top notch, and really funny. I still have the CD-ROM version, but I’m really glad that new audiences will be able to experience CoMI again.

Comment on this story