Steins;Gate gets remaster with additional stories

Steins;Gate, one of gaming’s most widely adored visual novels, is getting the deluxe treatment. The title is coming to the West with new translations, a fully animated version, and adding in new storylines. Also an 8-bit version with chiptunes for the Switch. That’s crazy right? I think so too.

Spike Chunsoft announced a handful of titles for the west at GDC 2018, including PixelJunk Monsters 2, Zanki Zero: Last Beginning, and 428: Shibuya Scramble. Steins;Gate Elite is coming to Playstation 4 and the Switch as well as a Steam version. There are new storylines written by the scenario writer from Zero Escape. As aforementioned, there’s an 8-bit version coming to the Switch, overseen by the series creator. Further DLC for the Steam version has been announced but no details have been given.

As Steins;Gate Elite, the game is fully remastered with animated scenes from the anime, creating a perfectly new, immersive experience. follows a rag-tag band of tech-savvy young students who discover the means of changing the past via e-mail using a modified microwave. Their experiments in pushing the boundaries of time begin to spiral out of control as they become entangled in a conspiracy surrounding SERN, the organization behind the Large Hadron Collider, and John Titor, who claims to be from a dystopian future.

Aw hell yes. This is some Southland Tales nonsense and I am here *clap* for *clap* it.

Some touted features include:

Fully Animated Adventure – Indulge in all the beautiful animation from 24 episodes of the Steins;Gate anime.

A New Way to Time Leap – Experience the world of STEINS;GATE with this remastered, ultimate version that features newly animated sequences for certain endings.

Branching Storylines – Every choice you make has its own consequence, shifting the world line closer or farther from reaching 1% divergence, providing a multitude of animated endings.

Check out the trailer below:

The Steam page for the game is up now.

1. Blowfeld81 says:

This is amazing.
    Too bad that I just played through this fantastic Visual Novel and not planning on repeating the story again.

If they do this well, this is quite a big thing.

Hopefully we see Steins;Gate Zero soon on Steam, too. With a proper English translation (The original had a good fan translation, the official one is being fixed by the dev team until today)

Edith says: If you were ever slightly interested in playing a visual novel, try this game. It has a lengthy start and you might get super confused by the unlikable protagonist, but all of that is intended and pays off big time.

And then play Doki Doki Literature Club ;) Trust me on that one as well.

• internisus says:

Already sorted! Zero is listed on Steam for May 8.

Also, I’m reading that Linear Bounded Phenogram (another SG VN that was published before Zero) will be included in SG: Elite.

• Blowfeld81 says:

Excellent news.

Thank you for informing me about that!

Have a nice day

• Kitsunin says:

But not the Switch version, which gets Steins;Gate 8-bit instead (and PC/PS4 doesn’t get it).

As someone who does have a Switch, I still find this version separation frustrating. Gotta buy it twice???

• Don Reba says:

Hello, Hououin, it’s me. This is an unencrypted channel, but I must warn you immediately. The Organization is mounting a slander campaign against you. Yes, I know. This means we have entered the Final Phase. Be careful. El Psy Kongroo.

2. malkav11 says:

What I’m wondering is whether there will be any sort of discount or upgrade path for owners of the original edition. Because it looks snazzy and all but I’m probably not up for paying full price for it a second time.

• Avioto says:

I am wondering the same. I bought it recently when it had a nice discount, but that was over 2 weeks ago so I can’t refund it.

3. Dominic Tarason says:

The whole Science Adventure series (Including Chaos;Head, Robotics;Notes, etc) are pretty great stuff, but Steins;Gate is the best, and integrating footage from the anime into the VN is a good call, although some of the shots should probably stick with the original art.

Either way, more Steins;Gate is always a good thing. It’s a legit good time-travel mystery story.

4. R. Totale says:

I refuse to support this abuse of the semicolon.

5. elevown says:

Do they really misspell cern in this?

• Dominic Tarason says:

Real places and organizations would could theoretically sue the pants off them get a syllable shifted.

MewTube, for instance.

Waltorious says:

It’s CERN! Unless this game/anime takes place in some alternate universe where it’s been respelled.

link to home.cern

• Kitsunin says:

It’s MCDONALDS, not WACDONALDS! Unless this game/anime takes place in some alternate universe where it’s been respelled.

(or maybe it’s the problem with trademark law)

• kalirion says:

SERN is a subdivision of CERN. proof

7. davidgilbert says:

Probably one of the best visual novels I’ve read / played in terms of the heart put into the characterisation and the intelligent way the subject matter is handled.

Best experienced going in cold, then if you’re interested watch the anime, don’t do it the other way round as it could spoil the overall experience.

8. Assirra says:

I pass, Steins;Gate without Huke’s amazing artwork feels incredible wrong.