Steam Charts: Open Your World

John is missing. He flew out to GDC last week stowed inside Brendan’s suitcase to save money, I’m sure you’ll remember, but on the return journey Brendan’s bag has gone missing. Vanished. Didn’t flop onto the luggage carousel. The airport have no idea. John took a few cans of pop and bags of gross American chocolate in with him so I’m sure he’ll be fine, but where is he? Amsterdam? Boise? Hong Kong? Honolulu? I’m sure he’ll turn up. For now, here I am, I am taking over the Steam Charts for another week.

If there’s one lesson to learn from last week’s 10 top-selling games on Steam, it’s that fancy open-world games are quite popular.

10. Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition

Boys, boys, boys, they’re looking for a good time. And saving the world? Mostly looking for a good time. I’ve still not got around to this myself because I’ve been deep in other games, but I am still excited to venture on this road trip. Alec and Katharine fussed over the technical side of things last week, with him poking at HDR and her looking at graphics card performance.

9. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

What’s up with CS this week? Valve are tinkering with the Negev again, still trying to turn the joke of a machine gun into a viable support weapon. Those wild-eyed dreamers.

8. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

“It’s tempting to indulge the cliché and say that Ni no Kuni 2 is more than the sum of its parts, but that’s not entirely accurate either. Rather, Revenant Kingdom is essentially just the sum of its parts and nothing more,” Stephen T Wright said in his Ni No Kuni 2 review. “They’re nice enough parts, and they mesh together to create one of the better JRPGs I’ve played over the past few years, but as I watched the credits roll by, I could already feel the experience seeping from my memory like a sieve.”

A really pretty sieve.

7. Assassin’s Creed Origins

Following the recent launch of its mummylicious final DLC, AssCreed Oranges has now been on sale with a 40% discount bumping two of its three editions into the top 10 this week. I’d imagine one is the regular edition (still £30 for another few hours) and the other is the DLC-crammed Gold Edition (down to £45). But which is which? Valve don’t say, which makes this the true mystery of the pyramids.

6. Far Cry 5

Ubisoft’s latest open-world murder simulator is still not out but climbing even higher in the charts, up from 10 last week. Reviews and big lumps of gameplay footage are all over these days, mind. From what I’ve seen, sure, I’m up for this. The story Ubisoft present front and centre in their marketing seems whatever but the explore-o-larking looks fun. And it has a bow. AND co-op. Cooperative archery.

5. Assassin’s Creed Origins

You again!

4. Far Cry 5

You again, “You again!” Well, if you want some fire and brimstone…

3. Grand Theft Auto V

After a week away, Grand Theft Auto V comes roaring back into the top 10. And it’s been a pretty rubbo week for GTA V, really. Following a small patch tweaking the new Super Sports Series update, a large number of players have reported being temporarily banned for no apparent reason. Sure, cheaters will always say they didn’t cheat, but this is a whole lot of people all at once. Rockstar are, as you’d expect, saying nothing.

I would poke around but my own account was suspended only and wiped a few days earlier. I think it’s due to me messing something up when writing that post about diorama mods. Joke’s on me. I like GTA Online a lot but, once my ban is up, will probably never play it again. Fair to say I’m slightly miffed but it might be my fault? No idea? Anyway, if I’m done with this dress-up crimeworld, I shall, for posterity, declare this my final Los Santos spring/summer fashion collection:

2. Warhammer: Vermintide 2

Rats! Some might tell you that it’s polish and variety that’s made the ‘Left 4 Dead with rats’ first-person shoot-o-smasher so much more of a success than Fatshark’s first attempt. I put it to you that, in fact, Vermintide 2’s success comes from introducing Chaos Marauders to the enemy pool because people felt too bad killing those lovely scurrying ratmen.

Here’s a suggestion, Fatshark: Ikaruga-inspired weapon-switching action, where one hand swings an axe out to decapitate the forces of Chaos and the other scritches Skaven under their furry chins so they fall asleep. And heaven help anyone whose stumbling fingers coochie-coo a Chaos Spawn.

1. Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds

Ah here we are and here we are and here we go
All aboard and we’re hitting the road
Here we go, Plunkin’ all over the world

I am curious to see more of the small new map coming to Plunkbat later this year. 4x4km should make for an interesting change of pace. To be honest, I’m hung up on the flora seen in those teensy short preview clips, trying to figure out where it’s set, which trees all those are supposed to be, and why it isn’t lusher. Well, I’m fairly sure the answer to that second question is that the game couldn’t do forests well and the map is still in alpha so everything is placeholder or unfinished. But, y’know, trees.

Top comments

1. Hutt Butter says:

Oh no, it seems like Yorkshire Gubbins has dropped out of the comments on the Weekly Steam Charts :(
  1. GomezTheChimp says:

Im a tad disappointed that Status Quo wasn`t music video of the week.

2. thischarmingman says:

I like this twist, where you write about the games! Also, thanks for reminding me about 16HP, good stuff.

3. Faldrath says:

Sigh, Far Cry 5. I’m one of those that really, really loved FC2, despite the checkpoint respawning idiocy. It told an interesting tale, it oozed atmosphere, it made you feel uneasy. And then FC3 happened, which was one of my all-time major gaming disappointments with that absolutely revolting “story”. It was disgusting. I skipped FC4, tried Primal but it just bored me, and from what the early reviews look like, FC5 keeps on the same bad path. It could have been such a wonderful series.

• HiroTheProtagonist says:

Credit where credit is due, Jason Brody was still the best protagonist in the series. I’ll take “fratboy on vacation” over “mostly silent gun carrier” any day of the week, and FC2’s checkpoint respawn system just destroyed any desire I had to replay that game again, not to mention the generic brown’n’bloom visuals.

I’d love to see 2’s buddy system/map display return, but that’s just wishful thinking no matter which way you slice it.

• Faldrath says:

I will respectfully disagree with you on Brody, who to me was the prime example of “oh wow I’m someone who has never seen a gun before! omg they killed my brother I’m so traumatized! whee I’m mowing down people with nary a thought!” plus the whole “let the white foreigner save the natives” plot.

That being said, I’ll join you in your wishful thinking and raise it to “I wish they’d just remake FC2 with updated graphics and removing the respawning checkpoints”.

• Carra says:

Tomb raider is another example. Oh noes, I killed a deer. Oh noes, I killed someone. And then goes on to kill a hundred guys without remorse.

• Lawlcopt0r says:

It’s interesting, I remember reading several very believable interviews with the story team that sounded like they put a lot of thought into Farcry 3’s story. Sad that they still got it pretty wrong

• Urthman says:

They said they were hoping to make a story as good as the movie Avatar. So if that’s also your gold standard for story-telling, maybe you’ll like it?

4. nitric22 says:

I join the in Plunkbat dissapointment over the apparent lack of foliage on the new map. A simple case of the Alpha’s?? We’ll see I suppose. But if you say tropical map then I want to crawl through the underbrush never knowing if I’m only 5 feet off from an enemy combatant.

I took a vacation from Far Cry during 4 and Primal myself. 3 was good, but samey sequels are what make me the proud owner of only two AssCreed games in total, and I feel the same about this series. I think I might jump back in come 2020-ish for Far Cry 6.

5. Phyzzi says:

I don’t know if Assassin’s Creed: Oranges is a typo, but to me that is the game’s new name. It sort of makes me want a fruit ninja mode for this and all future AC games.

• caff says:

I can’t help but read it as “AssCreed Oranges” thanks to the articles and commentators on RPS :)

6. dangermouse76 says:

How are the sales charts put together ? IS GTA really selling that well still ? I am starting to think something is wrong with the way this is worked out.

• Alice O'Connor says:

It’s an official thing from Valve. “The top selling games on Steam by revenue for the week,” they say. They have the numbers, so they should know.

• dangermouse76 says:

Amazed, I didn’t think that many people existed to keep buying it. Cheers.
        P.s that was jokey, wayhey, have a Banana type doubt. Not real doubt.

• Snowskeeper says:

If it’s about revenue, it may include microtransactions.

• Lucaxor says:

Intereshting, does that mean it takes sharkcards into account for GTA V? These are, I seem to recall, a significant part of the game revenue. This would explain why GTA keeps asking for the blood of whoever is dealing with the charts each and every forsaken week.

• tigerfort says:

I’d guess the chart numbers don’t include DLC for a game, since different editions of a game get their own separate entries.

Also, can we have Alice cloned, so that she can write everything henceforth?

7. Chek says:

AssCreed that’s a keeper lol.

8. Cederic says:

Install mods, have fun.. get ‘suspended’ from the game you bought? Well played Rockstar, nothing quite like anti-customer policies.

Unless of course Alice has been griefing people. Hmm. Were those dioramas set up with NPCs or did you force poor players to pose for you?

9. Hyena Grin says:

Okay, I was skeptical at first, but that Black Soul Choir song is pretty rad.

• dreadguacamole says:

It is! Reminds me a little of Murder By Death. I can’t recommend their Red of Tooth and Claw CD highly enough.

10. Caiman says:

Alice, can you keep doing these? This week’s was much better than John’s usual pointless nonsense.

• sub-program 32 says:

I do wonder if John’s continued dissapearance from the charts this week was a response to the positive feedback from the last week’s chart, I prefer this setup too personally. The older charts kinda ended up their own ass a tad after a while with the in-jokes.

11. Cameheretosaythis says:

Why the heck does this appear in “update news” for CS:Go on Steam?! A load of irrelevant nonsense.

12. Hutt Butter says: