Wipe those tears away: Far Cry 5 released

After years of gallivanting around the world, Far Cry today settles down for a quiet life in small-town America. Far Cry 5 launched in the wee hours, the latest in Ubisoft’s open-world sandbox shooter. This time, the mince plot is about saving Hope County in Montana from a naughty cult by wandering, driving, flying, swinging, and wingsuiting around while shooting faces and catching fish. We have a review coming in a bit but, for now, here’s word that it’s out and the launch trailer.

Right so, a Jared Leto character has taken over the county with a doomsday cult who think it’s waaay edgy that he’s got the names of the seven deadly sins carved into his bod. They’re doing all sorts of naughty things, and we will eventually be urged to stop dicking about with the sandbox explore-o-lark-a-shooter antics to advance the plot by shooting their faces off.

Along with singleplayer, Far Cry 5 has cooperative campaign multiplayer. I’m quite curious to see what people will do with the Far Cry 5 Arcade, the map editor mode which lets players build and play solo and multiplayer maps for a variety of modes. Ubi have added a load of props and assets from Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, and several Assassin’s Creed games to the Arcade too.

What state is it in at launch? I’d imagine our review will touch upon problems encountered, but I have heard a fair few people complain about it being buggy. And, due to some problem Ubi are trying to resolve, it’s not available on Steam in Asia and Oceania yet.

As for what’s next, Ubi announced the DLC season pass before the game even came out. Its three chapters are going all B movie-y, fighting in the Vietnam War, mashing zombies, and going to Mars to squish spiders.

Far Cry 5 is £50/€60/$60 from Steam and Ubi’s Uplay. Its Gold Edition, which also includes the £27 DLC season pass and some other DLC trinkets and baubles, is £75/€90/$90.

1. woodsey says:

The only thing that interests me about this game is how many people seem to think that a story about a militant Christian fundamentalist takeover of rural America is somehow apolitical.

Some of the comments on Edwin’s Eurogamer review, for instance, are absolutely mind-numbing.

• Godwhacker says:

Agreed, in particular the comments claiming that it’s ‘parody’ or ‘satire’ when it’s clearly wanting to be taken seriously.

• DThor says:

Interesting, a lot of what I’ve read was that it’s an incredibly “safe” take on what ostensibly is a very touchy, contemporary topic. You could swap out “redneck religious right” with “space zombies” and only miss the accent. I’m leaning towards the majority of comments for now.

The only thing about this that remotely interests me is the sound of the DLC and all the potential mischief the community could get up to with the asset release. Sounds like this will make a great GOTY edition at half price in a year or so.

• puppybeard says:

Aye, at most a Far cry game’s context will be 50% flavour and 50% tongue-in-cheek “subversive” writing. With a large slice of ham and a large slice of cheese.

Which is how I like it for this franchise, frankly.

• woodsey says:

An apolitical approach to the subject matter does not make the subject matter apolitical. If they didn’t want to be part of a political discussion then they should’ve picked something a little less political to wear. It’s not critics’ fault for taking them to task on things that are not only in the game, but an active part of the marketing.

It’s not like this is down to bad timing either: this kind of imagery and anxiety around is an intrinsic aspect of American history.

If this is what Far Cry is now (i.e. Far Cry 3.n), and they don’t want to do politics, then they should just go the space zombie route. Do a Battle Royale knock-off on an island where some mad TV executive called Baas is making you fight your way out.

If they do want to do politics, put Clint Hocking back on it.

• puppybeard says:

That’s fair.

• modzero says:

I have some pretty bad news about space zombies, and zombies in general, for you.

If you truly want to avoid political critique of your work, I suggest making no work. Though don’t be surprised if your refusal to engage is going to be seen as just as political.

• woodsey says:

All art is political, yes.

But there’s something of a canyon between zombies as consumerist metaphor and militant Christian uprising in America.

If they don’t want to the kind of critical drubbing that comes with halfheartedly depicting the latter then they should stick to the former.

• skeletortoise says:

I’m probably playing a dangerous game getting into this discussion (I’ve played exactly zero Far Cries and haven’t been watching this one too closely), but for the sake of devil advocacy:

The vast, vast majority of media or art can be taken as strongly political if the beholder chooses to engage with it that way. And it’s a pretty common thing in TV, movies, games, etc. to pretty much explicitly skew things with a current political bent or have a premise which, in theory, has serious political implications. But I would argue that at the end of the day 90%+ of these things don’t actually say anything or at least anything of interest politically. The political stuff is just backdrop or window dressing for whatever story the creator actually wants to tell and it deals with the political aspects superficially or not at all. Anyone could think of countless examples of this and everyone understands it. Even critically acclaimed things that are universally seen as having something political to say don’t actually have THAT much to say about our current world (thinking of Handmaid’s Tale here). My point being, I guess, is that it seems weird to me that some things get cherrypicked to be criticized for not being political or meaningfully political enough while others everyone just accepts as obviously being a a marketing gimmick or as flimsy backdrop to have a fun story. This is a series in which every game has a setting which is just there to provide an interesting hook or backdrop in which to run around an open world shooting things. At a certain point, it’s weird for the beholder to expect serious political insight from a game and I think that thresholds been crossed here.

• klops says:

I’d also see that now Ubisoft can show that it’s just not ”the exotic others” that you’re shooting in Far Crys. Very likely that has been/would be one of the points of criticism of the series (to be honest, I don’t know).

Now they brought the ridiculous shooting to America where you shoot Americans instead of exotic locations where Jack Carver can killemall (Sure, head character in FC4 was ” Nepalese”). Like you said religious cult fanatics are about as easy targets as Nazis, zombies or North Koreans so very, very small risk for controversy there, but still the ”edginess” of being in modern day USA instead of Sumatra or Amazon or whatever exotic place they could thnk about.

• Babymech says:

“You could swap out “redneck religious right” with “space zombies””… I’m not sure that you could, and even if you could, they’d just vote for Space Trump, so we’re no closer to a solution.

• BooleanBob says:

Er, one of Edwin’s main criticisms of the game was that its political message lacked courage and conviction and generally played too safe?

• woodsey says:

Yes, I know. The problem is people saying it’s not even worth mentioning.

“Why drag politics into Far Cry?” when Far Cry is the thing dragging politics in, that kind of logic.

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, that’s silly. Criticising the game for playing it’s subject matter too safe is perfectly valid and something that could well affect someone’s enjoyment of the game.

Hardly the be-all and end-all, though, it’s still a fun game with cool window dressing.

I’m pretending it’s edgier than it is by ignoring all the brainwashing stuff, personally. It is more fun that way.

• SanguineAngel says:

I believe that they are referring to the comments below the Eurogamer article.

phuzz says:

Apart from the first one all the Far Cry games have had a similar level of politics*. This one just happens to be set in the US, and as we all know it’s just fine to shoot people in/from other countries, but Americans are special.

* ie fairly shallow and superficial, but it’s there.

• gabrielonuris says:

I think people are overthinking this too much. When this game was first announced, it had a controversial image mimicking The Last Supper; people around the world who wasn’t even christian to begin with, started to get offended by this. Then I showed the image to my mother, who is indeed an assiduous christian. This was the conversation:

Me: Hey mom, what do you think about this image?
      Her: It’s nice and well made… why?
      Me: People are getting offended because it looks like the Last Supper.
      Her: It looks ok to me; people nowadays are in serious need to get a job.

So, I know my mother doesn’t represent the whole world, but I think it’s about damn time people relearn how to have some pure fun killing pixels again or we’re gonna start seeing some politically correctness in video games. And yes, that would suck.

• Apocalypse says:

Looks to me about as apolitical and satiric as far cry 3.

All the Far Cry games since at least 3 had been satire so far, from 3 with the white guy messiahs who gets fucked over over blood dragon, etc right up to this.

“Fuck they have air support?”, I don’t think this is meant to be taken serious. It has serious undertones, but seems to be a every good satire. Heck, the setting is about as exotic and alien as some Indonesien island tribal thing as well. And FC3 was a brilliant satire.

• Imperialist says:

I personally think that games should keep political messages off the field, and if not, give multiple perspectives on the subject matter. The last thing anyone needs is video gaming to become a…dare i say the word…propaganda tool. A political message does not make your form of media more “artistic” or “nuanced” or give it any depth at all. That is what characterization is for. Even if there is a political message to be had in FC5, the whole concept of the antagonists is so hilariously over the top and bloated beyond any sense of reality that surely it MUST be satire (the Last Supper game ad in particular) as with all other FC games except maybe FC2. Could, and has this sort of thing happened? Sure. But it wouldnt look like a grab-bag of Charlottesville stereotypes, rather than people who merely have the wrong (or right?) idea. They could easily be disgruntled Californians wanting to secede to become a socialist state. Does anyone really believe its only the far-right rednecks who would spill blood to get their sovereignty?

• Raoul Duke says:

Personally, I like the very Trump-ish idea that psychotic right wing heavily armed faux Christian murder cults should not be discriminated against.

2. Faldrath says:

I’ve been thinking about this series lately. Far Cry 2 had a white protagonist in Africa, but it was no hero-trip. Nothing he did made things better, far from it. It was just more dynamite added to the fire, helping one tyrannical faction gain the upper hand over another.

FC3 changed this radically. The protagonist was a white American male, completely untrained both physically and intellectually, who somehow gained magical powers to help a tribe of “good” natives prevail over their enemies. The writer tried to weakly disguise this under some pretense of post-modernist irony, but failed completely.

FC4 (which I didn’t play) apparently kept most of the same premise, with the exception that the protagonist wasn’t “directly” an American. He was a native who happened to be educated abroad, but came back and ended up saving his country from tyranny.

It seems like FC5 just drops all pretense and becomes a completely safe “American saves Americans from crazy people by using guns to beat guns” story.

It is a shame, this series.

• puppybeard says:

agree with the main thrust of what you’re saying, though FC2 actually had a broad selection of player characters to choose from.

Far Cry 3 was exactly as you say, managed to succeed as a highly appealing game in spite of it, I loved it, but the similar themes in FC4 knocked it down my wishlist.

Maybe it’s good that FC5 at least has the protagonist blowing the shit out of their own country, for whatever that’s worth.

It would be great to see a Far Cry game surprise us again though, as 1,2 and 3 all did in their own way. Also Blood Dragon.

• Arglebargle says:

Playable characters in FC2 were just portraits. There was no functional difference between them. An ex-Tonton Macoute played exactly the same as a former SAS operative.

• woodsey says:

In Far Cry 2 you could actually pick a player-character from a bunch of nationalities. I think only one of them was a white American.

• LennyLeonardo says:

In my opinion, Far Cry 3’s metacommentary absolutely did land, and was at times clever-ish, and at other time less so. It was very clearly a commentary on the absurdity of the open world power fantasy, and the way games distance you from the real world, but obviously the game wanted to have its metacake and eat it too, so it came off a bit toothless.

phuzz says:

Ok, that’s a much better way of putting what I was trying to say.

• FredSaberhagen says:

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun – is a good guy with a BOW!

Qazinsky says:

“who somehow gained magical powers”

My take was that, considering the powers he got was mostly things like “slide along the floor” and “jump down and stab people from above”, his powers was less magical and more Jason buying into the magic of his tattoos and just becoming more reckless.

• Travistech says:

I’d have to disagree with you. Brody is a subversion of the white savior trope because he’s being groomed for it. He’s an attack dog being led on by promises of purpose and treats and hanky-panky. 4’s Ajay Ghale is put in a similar position, being pushed to fight for the insurgency because it’s either what his father would have wanted(if you play the game, note how often Sabal refers to you as son of Mohan instead of by your name) or because you need to honor your mother’s wish(technically your real reason for being in country, and a point that Amita will play upon to earn your sympathies), and is all the more subversive for it when the villain outright states your reasoning for what you do in the ending sequence.

• Apocalypse says:

Spoilers, but in the end of Far Cry 3 you get character literally gets killed while fucking the native girl, while getting told he “won”.
      The message about his white messiahs achievements could not be anymore clear imho.

• Faldrath says:

Thanks, I admit I never finished FC3 so I didn’t know how the ending goes, so I’ve just watched a video. And honestly… in one of the endings, the one you describe, yes you get killed *but* the native woman needed “your powerful seed to lead the tribe”.

Whereas in the second ending, where you save your friends, the natives literally immediately start killing each other by sheer stupidity and irrationality. And then you muse about how “I’m a monster but also better than that”. And this “better than that” implies that choosing the other ending, which is what the natives wanted, would have made you just a monster.

You see? It’s really very complicated to talk about those issues without falling into one of the many, many pitfalls. I remember the writer giving insufferable interviews about how he was subverting everything, but in all honesty, as was mentioned before, you can’t have your cake and eat it. You cannot subvert a game about killing hundreds of people in a game about killing hundreds of people, you cannot think that giving a silly binary choice at the end makes it “ironic”.

• fish99 says:

In FC4 you replace one tyranny with another.

Nauallis says:

Yeah, and the game forces you to pick which flavor comes knockin’. Also the optional journal collectables really emphasize that Ajay’s father Mohan, and the founder of the Golden Path, was really not a better guy than Pagan Min.

3. basszje says:

Uplay required, Denuvo included and mostly only in Russian in my region. Looks like Ubi still doesn’t want my money.

• Apocalypse says:

Denuvo will get removed soon enough, I am sure of that.

• Tobberoth says:

Not very likely. Far Cry 5 is running Denuvo v5, which has never been cracked (and VMProtect on top of that). I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes at least 6 months until they crack it.

4. neofit says:

How does the save system work this time? Any manual saving? Multiple slots? Save-anywhere with a reload at a fixed location like in previous games?

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, the third one

• neofit says:

The Third one? You mean “Save-anywhere with a reload at a fixed location like in previous games?”. Weird. I’ve done a bit of digging on Steam and it’s quite confusing. Some people are saying “this game needs a manual save”, so I am even more confused now :).

• Bull0 says:

I played a bit last night and I was able to save anywhere but I assume when I reload I’ll be dumped on a fast travel point and that that’s what they were talking about. Quicksaving and reloading as a way to game combat, for instance, is hardly ever possible in these multiplat games.

• KenTWOu says:

…in these open world games.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I’m struggling to articulate why that save system doesn’t bother me at all in the recent Far Cries, but would drive me up the wall in, say, a Bethesda open world game.

In the latter you have a big, mostly persistent, simulated world, while Far Cry is more like discrete packets of gameplay stitched together with some simulated/random filler in between.

I dunno, I’m still not quite sure of why that makes a difference, except to say that Far Cry is gamier, so a gamier save system seems fitting.

5. BigPickle says:

I was going to buy this as I quite liked the series even though the premise has changed quite a lot since the first game. Anyhow that was a sale untill I saw and read the in co-op players are tethered!
    Tethered?! Really it’s 2018 and we are being tethered in a AAA game.
    Whilst the irony of the self appointment of “AAA” as an accolade selling technique is not lost on me…..
    TETHER!!

6. neofit says:

How persistent is the world? Persistent may not be the correct word though. Was it in FC2 that as soon as you turned your back to a roadblock it respawned its enemies? Many immersion killing things like that?

• Evan_ says:

Some say that made FC2 the best one in the series. It was an annoyance on lower difficulties, but bump it up high enough, and the game transforms into a hiding in bushes, plan your moves and avoid the roads experience.

Though it’s not for the casuals, so I’m certain that this time it will be the ‘clear the outposts and the world is yours’ model again.

Guys, if you ever get bored in a FC game, try the second one on ‘Insane’ or how was it called. It’s not fair to judge it without that.

• Arglebargle says:

It wasn’t a ‘game design decision’. They discovered the instant respawn late in beta and just couldn’t be bothered to fix it.

• Marclev says:

Yep, that was FC2. Could have been the best game in the franchise, but badly let down by respawning checkpoints and basically everybody outside of the safe zone trying to kill you on sight with high prejudice.

Way less gamey than the ones that followed it, with none of the stupid animal hunting stuff.

7. Jerppa says:

Is this the one where you can kill Trump supporters?

• Zenicetus says:

You could role-play it that way, sure. From what I’ve read though, the premise is that the bad guys are setting up their own local government, they look like hippie satanists, and they’re heavily into drugs. You’re a cop, whose job it is to take them out.

So there’s room to play it from the other side too. Just pretend they’re all California liberals.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Based on what I’ve played so far, the developers have strained to make this group of people an incoherent mishmash of “bad folks” with the veneer of a few infamous U.S.-based cults, militias, and terror groups.

Which I suppose isn’t too far removed from what the last two main Far Cry games did as well. It’s not following Bioshock’s loftier (if largely unsuccessful) attempt at a serious critique of an ideology. It’s just yet another group of real bad dudes to shoot in the face (with a geographically appropriate sticker on top). Which I’m fine with.

Nauallis says:

No, you’re thinking Gears of War 4.

8. khamul says:

“The mince plot”? Typo for ‘the main plot’, or something clever I don’t get?

However, “After years of gallivanting around the world, Far Cry today settles down for a quiet life in small-town America.” is some properly good wording. History, irony, satire, and actual news, in one short punch. Alice, you are very good at the wording thing. Please do keep it up.

9. wackazoa says:

I guess I could see the Jared Leto comparison. But the main baddies seems a dead knock off of David Koresh. Glasses and everything.

10. DEspresso says:

Are there different kind of dogs in the game?

#AskingTheRealQuestions