The 19th Humble Indie Bundle features existential horror & bullet time

Soma

While Humble may offer a lot of bundles now, their Humble Indie Bundles are what first put the site on the map. Their 19th went live last night, offering their usual broad and colourful cross-section of what the indie development scene has to offer.

Featuring space adventure, train-based puzzling, VR bomb defusal and one of the most existentially unsettling horror games ever made, this bundle has a little something for everybody, assuming you’re not a huge dork like me that automatically buys everything halfway interesting that crosses your path and already owns two thirds of these.

At the cheapest tier ($1 or more, if you want Steam keys), you’ve got Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition, a refined version of the broadly well-received Halcyon 6: Station Commander. Inspired by FTL, XCOM and 4x strategy games, you explore the galaxy, gather resources, build a fleet of ships to command in turn-based combat and bop giant space-monsters on the snoot if they get too grumpy.

Mini Metro is a puzzle/management hybrid with a minimalist subway-map aesthetic. Your goal is to keep a city’s infrastructure moving in accelerated real-time, drawing tracks to connect stations as they open and close and make sure that people are always able to get where they need to go.

Rakuen

Rakuen is a colourful JRPG-styled adventure about a sick young boy in hospital, coming to terms with his own illness through exploring a magical world within a book. John went and reviewed it last year, and wasn’t too proud to admit that it reduced him to tears, as well as made him laugh more than a bit.

At the middle tier (beating the average price of $5.70 at the time of writing) you get unique cooperative puzzle game Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. Designed for VR (although still playable on a regular monitor), one player is trapped in a virtual room with a ticking time-bomb. The other player is out in the real world, armed with a reference manual of assorted bomb components. Communication is key, as the title implies.

Star of the show, though, has to be SOMA, Frictional’s deeply unsettling first-person horror game. It’s not nearly as jumpscare or monster-heavy as others in the genre (especially now that it includes a more passive playmode where threats merely menace with their presence, rather than seek to kill you), but it tells an excellent dark sci-fi tale that could well get under your skin.

Lastly in the mid-tier, you’ve got Poly Bridge, which is yet another of those thousands of little bridge-building physics puzzle games inspired by Cryptic Sea’s Bridge Builder way back in the day. More games will be added to the mid tier of the bundle next week, too.

SUPERHOT

Cleverly, they’ve placed SUPERHOT in its own special tier. Thanks to Amazon Prime now offering a monthly bundle of games to Twitch users, many of us already own this excellent and creative FPS-puzzler, where time moves only when you do, and bullets are meant to be weaved around with balletic precision. If you want all three tiers of games it’ll cost you $14.

The Humble Indie Bundle 19 is available to buy here.

1. mitrovarr says:

I’m kind of mystified by why Superhot is by itself in the third tier. It’s been in the humble monthly. It’s in two other bundles right now. It feels like nearly everyone who wants it already has it at this point. Also, it doesn’t feel strong enough to hold up the third tier even if that isn’t true. Maybe if it was the VR version, but it’s not!

It’s probably going to be a very unpopular tier and push down the beat-the-average price.

Other than that, the bundle seems good.

• UVtears says:

I’m not sure what the deal with Superhot is, either. They’re really pushing it on Humble… I got it free from Twitch Prime and it won’t even install so whatever.

I also don’t get why people act like this game is totally new and hype it as such when it’s only the VR feature that’s new, it’s actually been out for a few years already. And as you pointed out, this isn’t even including the VR-version.

Sigh. Oh well. Rakuen & SOMA were on my wishlist and $4-something wasn’t bad for everything else too.

2. funky_mollusk says:

Halcyon 6 looks dope. Don’t know how I missed it. I thought from the descriptions that it was more colony-management than tbs.

3. Cederic says:

Sadly Humble Bundle persist with demanding customers complete a captcha as part of their payment process – despite being logged in, a monthly subscriber and them quoting the last four digits of my card at me.

I’m not going through the stress and hassle of captcha just to buy a computer game. I’ll work on my 100+ Steam backlog instead.

• Dominic Tarason says:

That’s odd. I haven’t seen any captchas on the site in months.

• Enkidum says:

I’ve never had a captcha on Humble, at least not for the past 5 years or so. Also, captchas are stressful?

• Cederic says:

I think (but I’m not sure) that it may be linked to IP addresses or ranges. Maybe my neighbours keep buying too many bundles.

And yes, captchas are intensely stressful for me.

• grundus says:

Found the robot

• Cederic says:

Yeah, I could be a robot that’s highly articulate and randomly posts on-topic comments that discuss previously unmentioned facets of the service being discussed. Or I could have a learning disability.

I think I’ll decline to tell you which.

• MajorLag says:

Could be due to having certain adblocking and privacy features enabled in the browser. I block a lot of stuff and get challenged by captcha systems all the time to prove that I’m human.

JigglyNaga says:

I’ve only started seeing them the last couple of purchases. And they’re not the “type in this random string” ones any more, they’re the obnoxious popups that show you 9 pictures of roads and ask you to guess how much of an unmarked pole counts as a “street sign”.

4. Halk says:

>Cleverly, they’ve placed SUPERHOT in its own special tier.

Yes, that is indeed good thinking. That way it is possible to avoid subsidizing this PoS.

JigglyNaga says:

That way it is possible to avoid subsidizing this PoS.

Or you could use the “choose where your money goes” feature.

• Halk says:

Oh, nice. Thanks for pointing that out. I knew about that feature, but in the past it was only possible to select “Developers” as a whole, not the individual developers. This seems to be new (not sure _how_ new).

5. Laini says:

SOMA is fantastic, possibly my favourite story in any game for years. It really got under my skin and I still think about it from time to time.

• kalzekdor says:

I’ve been trying to get my friends to play it, but as I absolutely refuse to discuss any part of it until they’ve played through it I haven’t been as successful as I would like.