The Foxer

Warm-up Foxer (Where am I?)

I’m standing outside a restaurant that shares a name with a Chuck Connors movie, a brand of cigarettes, and a British paddle steamer that served during both World Wars. I can see several dinosaurs including a T. Rex and a Triceratops. I’m 80 metres from a likeness of this man. I’m in a mineral-rich landlocked land that sent a citizen into space before the UK or China. If I was to circle the globe at this latitude I’d cross the Canada-US border. I’m 500 metres from a monastery and 880 metres due north of a monument to a pop group.

Feature Foxer

This collage has a hidden theme. Decrypt the cryptic clues to flush it out.

foxerMarch30

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s warm-up foxer: I was the Icehotel (defoxed by unacom)

Last week’s hive theme: sleep (defoxed by Little_Crow)

foxerMarch23sol

kip (Little_Crow)
lullaby (Gothnak)
pillow (Little_Crow)
polysomnogram (Gothnak)
r.e.m. (Little_Crow)
repose (Gothnak)
rip van winkle (Little_Crow)
sandman (Little_Crow)
siesta (AFKAMC, Little_Crow)
slumber (Little_Crow)
somnambulist (AFKAMC, Little_Crow, Gothnak)

1. Gusdownnup says:

Warm-up: I think we’re here. (Link to Google Maps.)

• Zartaz says:

Looks correct, I ended with the exact same location

• Stugle says:

Nice! I would have figured out Mongolia, but after that I would have had a hard time.

BTW, I consider it fine irony that the building next door is marked simultaneously as the Central Museum of Mongolian Dinosaurs and the Lenin Museum. :)

2. Gusdownnup says:

Top left: the Rolls Royce covered in birds is one of Jill Bennett’s illustrations for Roald Dahl’s Danny, the Champion of the World.

3. Gusdownnup says:

Top left: the coin is a 1966 Spanish 100-peseta, made of silver, with a portrait of Franco.

And, since it’s so quiet in here, I’ll match that for an hour or two to let others rouse themselves.

• Stugle says:

I appreciate the gentlemanly conduct in leaving some clues for the rest of us. I’d like to petition Tim for the issuance of some special Flare Path Flair points.

In the meantime, feel free to come back: it looks like we’re well stuck. :)

4. Stugle says:

Wuh? Wah? I thought this Foxer was going to go live at 9:00 Eastern?!? Damn me for sleeping in on my day off! Screw breakfast, it’s time to get to work!

5. skink74 says:

The AK47 / hoe emblem is from the presedential standard of the Republic of Mozambique.

• Zartaz says:

It may be worth noting the whole of the Emblem of Mozambique is visible there, bar the Red Star at the top of the emblem and the banner at the bottom which reads “República de Moçambique” – whether this is significant or just a symptom of the collage I’m not sure yet.

6. Stugle says:

Okay, the swastika insignia is the unit insignia for 5. SS Panzerdivision Wiking. Whew, I made a contribution at least.

• Stugle says:

And underneath the SS insignia is the black standard of IS.

• Stugle says:

The swastika is also known as the Sunwheel and and black standard is also known as the banner of the eagle.

7. Stugle says:

I think the back of the car on the right is a Citroen 2CV (Deux Cheveaux).

8. Rorschach617 says:

The motorcyclist bottom left is this guy.

link to flashbak.com

9. Stugle says:

The plane top right looks a lot like a CASA C-212 Aviocar (link to en.wikipedia.org), but I have some doubt: the engines on the Aviocar images I’ve seen don’t quite match the ones in the Foxer, and I haven’t seen an image with that double door in the rear.

• Gusdownnup says:

Looks to me (after a lot of searching) to be a Dominion Skytrader 800. (Link to aviadejavu.ru, which has this image.)

Interestingly, only a single aircraft was made, and it suffered through a decade of minor redesigns, small orders and finance fall-through before company bankruptcy.

10. Stugle says:

“The president of Mozambique, an SS-Mann, and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi get in a 2CV…”

Not sure if this counts as a Foxer theme or as the setup for a terrible joke as told by your inappropriate uncle.

11. Stugle says:

Is the woman in the sliced photo Sissy Spacek?

12. Zartaz says:

The man in the central stamp appears to be wearing a Falling Band Collar, popular in mid-1600s’ Europe. Most examples I’ve found seem to place the style as most prominent in Britain and the Netherlands, frequently seen on various Aristocrats and Stadtholders.

13. Gothnak says:

Somebody forgot today was Friday, that person was me…

14. Gothnak says:

Minor link so far is the 1966 World Cup…

1966 Coin, Champion of the World, we played Portugal (Which included a bunch of players from Mozambique including Eusebio), we also played the Germans (SS Division) and the French (A 2CV)… Ahem….

I don’t think ISIS were represented though.

15. Zartaz says:

So I’ve been giving this quite a lot of thought, and I’ve come up with depressingly little bar the following, fairly loose connection based on re-designing;
    – The top left car features in “Danny, Champion of the World”, whose story is a rework of earlier Dahl story “Champion of the World”.
    – The peseta pictured features the 1966 redesign of Franco’s face, aiming to make it truer to the man
    – The Citroën 2CV had the design reworked into the Revolte
    – The Flag of ISIL is a redesign of the earlier used Black Standard
    – The Skytrader 800 had several reworks, the most notable being the “Skytrader ST1700”

Several other of the clues also involve reworking the old, and I’ll provide the links if people are curious. I also apologise for this wall of text.

• Zartaz says:

It’s just occurred to me that if the woman pictured is indeed Sissy Spacek as Stugle speculates, the reboot of “Carrie” would be the logical link.

• Tim Stone says:

An interesting thesis, but not a correct one. The man and the woman in the photographs are potentially very helpful clues. Both had their fifteen minutes of fame but are now largely forgotten.

16. Gothnak says:

The other possible link that kept popping up for me was Royal Companies, but was vague enough for me not to continue…

17. AFKAMC says:

The guy on the motorbike is a character from “Death Game 1999”, as featured in Action comic: link to forbiddenplanet.blog

18. BromineT says:

The woman in the picture looks a lot like Lynette “Squeeky” Fromme, a member of the Manson Family. The guy kind of looks like Sam Shepard.

• Gusdownnup says:

I think you’ve nailed the woman; well done!

• BromineT says:

She also tried to assassinate Gerald Ford. The man in the split picture is hard to discern. Maybe it’s Billy Baldwin?

• phlebas says:

If I understand the hint correctly we’re looking for someone (currently) less famous than that – I had a look at some other failed assassins but couldn’t find a match.