What are we all playing this holiday weekend?

Happy Easter, gang! This is an extra-long holiday weekend for us here in the RPS treehouse so we’ll be back on Tuesday. I’d tell some lousy story about us stuffing our faces with Cadbury Creme Eggs but let’s face it: they’re terrible. They are a punishment. We deserve better than those sickly lumps. And now we can have better. Tesco this year started selling Reese’s Peanut Butter Creme Eggs and good grief, they are fantastic. I know, American big-brand chocolate tastes like it’s spent three years in a shoebox, but the big glob of peanutness makes these sing. I am declaring them the Official RPS Egg of Easter. It is settled. No arguments. We’ll see you again on Tuesday.

What are you playing (and eating) this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on!

Adam: It’s opening day of the baseball season over in the USA, so I’ll be playing the new version of Out of the Park Baseball. And maybe Far Cry 5. I have genuinely installed and uninstalled it twice since release without actually clicking play. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I hear about animal adventures and want to play, I hear about boring plot and I decide not to waste my time.

I’ve just installed it again.

Alec: Alec has been fired.
Alice: I might check out Fortnite Battle Royale, partially so I can seem WELL COOL to teenagers and also because I’m curious. I hear it’s a lot less janky than Plunkbat, which is… I like some of the jank, but I’m also up for trying something cleaner and more arcade-y. Let’s see. Just don’t tell the laaads. Beyond that, I’m trying to find ways to shoehorn Bloodborne and Yakuza 6 into RPS conversations because I’m still pottering around both on PS4 and they’re still wild.
Brendan: I will crack on in Far Cry 5, despite my reservations about a boring, by-the-book baddie and a landscape that doesn’t interest me nearly as much as the holiday destinations from previous games. I’m persevering because Alec tells me there’s a mad scientist with a teleportation machine and some druggy moose in the forest. If it’s bad, I’ll fall back on Final Fantasy XV, the other bad game.
Graham: I’m going to continue playing Far Cry 5. I think I like it a good deal less than Alec (and maybe John), but that’s partly because I think I liked Far Cry 4 more than them. Far Cry 4 was mostly fun and frivolous in a beautiful, colourful world, and while it still had plenty of the same story and structure flaws, I’m finding I miss Pagan Min. If I have to watch long cutscenes starring kerrazy people, at least let them be pink suited Bond villains rather than beardy bores.
John: I imagine I’ll be sneaking in games of Far Cry 5 during the break, as there’s little else on my roster right now. Although I also need to find something more friendly for the boy to come in and watch, as I’ve turned away his sad little face too many times already for FC5 workplay.
Katharine: Katharine is still on holiday.
Matt: Matthew is still on holiday.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. MiniMatt says:

Now I want a creme egg AND a peanut butter egg.

Adam leaving has made me look again at all the games he convinced me to buy. CK2 can be put squarely at his door. And EU4, and I guess Stellaris too. Paradox basically.

Most CK2 games end in me doing something beastly to the Pope so I guess that could be Easter themed?

2. EgoMaster says:

It seems my “franchise fatigue” has passed. I finished Magic Carpet 2 and Dark Fall series in the past couple of weeks. Now I’m back to my The Dark Eye marathon, which was on ice since last November. The fifth and final phase consists of two tactical RPGs in the form of Blackguards series. I’m about to finish the first chapter of the first game. Who knows, maybe I’ll be able to finish Chapter II by the end of the weekend.

GornValim says:

What do you think of the Dark Fall series ? I only tried the first one, and I liked it (good atmosphere and sound), but never touched the other two (or more?) episodes.

• EgoMaster says:

They are more of the same. The atmosphere is maintained throughout the entire series. So does the puzzle style. Sound design, which is the main source of atmosphere, is exceptional in all three games. So, whatever you think about the first one, it’s a strong possibility you’ll think the same about the rest. My favorite was the second one because of science-fiction themes. The third one introduces a new engine and plays a bit differently. It has the most inventory-based puzzles. It returns to familiar ground and it’s the darkest one in terms of story.

3. Faldrath says:

Ah, Bloodborne. I was stuck at Ebrietas. So I decided to go somewhere else, which in my case was basically the DLC. Now I’m stuck at Ebrietas and Ludwig. Ah, Bloodborne.

• Monggerel says:

I only got stuck on Shadows of Yharnam and the final boss of the DLC (incidentally, holy shit, I *literally* cannot believe they would put that in a videogame) so I felt very very proud of my performance.
      It does, however, bear mentioning that I know the entire map of every souls game by heart and have completed speedruns of each except for Demons (well, “speedrun”, 3-4 hours is good enough for me) so, hmm. Knowing the history of my successes somehow makes them not be successes. Just… sufficiently probable outcomes.

Damnit now I gotta find something stupid and dangerous to do. Again. I do believe this is what Emile Durkheim termed “anomie”.

• Faldrath says:

Funnily enough I killed the Shadows in 2 attempts, but have spent more than 20 at Ebrietas, best I got was 25% or so. Ludwig I only tried a handful of times so far, but only saw phase 2 once. What a game.

• Faldrath says:

Goddamnit, Ludwig. Took me around 40 attempts: link to youtu.be

• fish99 says:

Nice :) Ludvig is always a struggle.

• Monggerel says:

Ludwig was try number two for me, at lvl 65-ish, Saw Cleaver, Quality build. One of my favourite fights, shame I didn’t get to see more of his second phase.

I’ve seen a few people fight him on youtube, and it occured to me that Ludwig’s weird, erratic (protip: *don’t* accidentally misspell erratic) movement catches a lot of people off-guard, because I see a lot of failed attempts at dodging.
            Saaw something similar with [a certain infamous dragon in Dark Souls III], where people had difficulty determining just what attack the boss was doing at any given time.
            And these two are among my favourite boss fights. Something about them is just so… obvious to me. I pretty much always know exactly what’s going to happen 3 seconds ahead of time, which is something I *never* get with the “duel” bosses of the series – bosses like Maria, Friede and [Bloodborne’s final DLC boss].

Just the Neuroethology of a Soulsborne Player, I guess.

• Monggerel says:

Um, also, that was a pretty good fight you did! If I had to do 40 or so attempts I’d probably be way to shaken to stand any kind of chance at all :)

• Faldrath says:

Yeah, I think in my case it was just learning the moveset and also getting really lucky. I mean, I didn’t properly dodge anything in that kill. I got hit by the charge, I got hit by the spout (twice!)… the only thing I evaded was the jump. I mean, I think I hit 10% or lower health at least 3 times in that video? God, it was intense.

Now I’m at Maria. I got her to 10% once before I had to go to bed (and I need to farm more vials/bullets), so I will hopefully beat her today.

• Minglefingler says:

Good luck with Maria, she gives me a lot more trouble than Ludwig. Mind you, for some strange reason, so do the Celestial Emissaries, I seem to be alone in finding them dificult.

4. LennyLeonardUK says:

Far Cry 5 for me as well I suppose. After my initial dislike of the game I am slowly starting to enjoy it, albeit in the typical way I always sort of enjoy a Ubisoft open world game. The setting has certainly grown on me these past couple of days at the very least.

It’s a pretty solid Ubisoft game, faults and all.

I might also pick up Ni No Kuni 2 this weekend. I like the look of it and I haven’t played a JRPG in ages.

Have a good Easter everybody!!!.

5. elsparko says:

While playing other Stuff (Gothic 3) last week I was looking forward to FFXV. But somehow it turns out to be really strange and awkward. There are constant popups about progress in quests right in the middle if the screen, constant reminders of how much XP I could have earned in fights I had to abandon and constant ratings about how “diverse” I fought the same lvl 2 critters that I killed just one minute ago just three meters away… Then something horrible happens and the boy band is a little gloomy for maybe 5 minutes until they start making the same jokes again and I’m supposed to fetch jet another cooking ingredient for some random NPC. Oh and did I mention that their idea of a fast travel system is sitting there for minutes watching a car auto-travel OR pay in-game money to skip this? I don’t know it really feels like someone desperately tried to make the game feel artificial and bad.

The problem is now I don’t know what to play instead. Toying around with the idea of finally finishing Planescape Torment but boy is it a wall of text. This didn’t bother me back in the days but now I get the urge to skip a lot of dialogue and I guess this wouldn’t do the game justice.

• malkav11 says:

Not that it probably makes a difference to your impression of the game, but the cost for fast travel is extremely trivial. You can make back ~15 uses of fast travel by selling one drop from random enemies, and turning in a quest will make hundreds of times that easily.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

It gets better eventually though its flawed. Ignore the dumb sidequests where you catch frogs and ignore the rating.
      After you docked on a “P” parking space for the first time manually you can travel there “instantly”. It’s not mentioned in the game.

6. dangermouse76 says:

Loaded up Far Cry 2 along with Far Cry 2 relaxed mod. I love an entirely on foot play style with this game, getting all the weapons out the gate is a bonus. Hopefully the no malarie patch will work, fingers crossed.
    Apart from that am looking for some ( non survival ) total / heavy conversion mods for Fallout 4.

Edit: Also John are you co-oping with your kid yet ?

• Catterbatter says:

I’m in the middle of a few games I’d really like to finish up, but with all these articles about Far Cry 5, I will probably end up in Far Cry 2 again as well.

7. MajorLag says:

Between games for the moment, Into The Breach ticked me off by insisting that I grind achievements, so I’m trying to get some other stuff done instead.

When I do game again, I have Snake Pass and A Hat in Time queued up.

Iamblichos says:

After surviving a terrible case of Skyrim, I have returned to the kind, gentle… oh who am I kidding, the murderous hellholes of Rimworld.

9. Zenobite says:

Still in the middle of a Factorio relapse, last nights patch added artillery turrets to the stable release – which of course meant I had build to a hundred of the things with the infrastructure to keep them supplied with shells.

Combined with the nukes, gas attacks and burning the aliens from their homes, I think I might be the bad guy in the game.

10. Someoldguy says:

Not feeling the love for any game right now so I’m splitting my time between lets-plays of Battletech now that the NDA has loosened and reviewers re allowed to show us snippets of early campaign stuff and D&D streams like Critical Role. If only CRPGs could capture that level of fun in a solo experience.

11. juan_h says:

The announcement of the new, remastered version has put me in the mood for some Mark of the Ninja. I don’t have a 4K display and wouldn’t know a particle effect from a particle accelerator, so I don’t have any reason to wait for the new version to come out.

12. Monggerel says:

This weekend, I’m doing a “Loudest Woman in Karnaca” run of Dishonored 2 (took the idea from Rutskarn of the Spoiler Warning crew) wherein I’ll do my damnedest to make sure *everybody* knows exactly where Emily Attano Kaldwin is at all times, mostly by walking into an open square and announcing my presence by firing into the air like it’s a national holiday (by royal decree, every day is a national holiday when you’re Emily). I’ll try to be mostly non-lethal with slidey-KOs and the classic “shoot them in the leg then kick them in the groin when they topple over” one-two punch(kick) takedown.

The exception to the nonlethal rule is, of course, the Jindosh Terminators, because Emily is a luddite and doesn’t consider clockwork automatons as living beings with dreams and aspirations. They kill me in two hits at this difficulty and have attacks that hit three times so that should be fun.

• Vacuity729 says:

That sounds fun. And more than a little challenging.
      I wish you luck with that!

• Monggerel says:

It was actually pretty fun!
        Got do all the fighting that one would miss out on when doing a normal “stealthy” run, as I suspect most people play Dishonored. KO’ing most of the guards mid-fight without Domino was the tough part, as I expected, because a full lethal run would have been trivial even on max difficulty (enemies are just plain vulnerable in this game, no matter what). Pretty quickly had to realize I’d need *a lot* of stun mines, with upgrades.

Unfortunately, playing again did remind me how plain and *uninspired* the writing is all around. Can’t help but be constantly surprised at how well realized Dishonored’s world is, and how badly it clashes with the story.

13. Ruindur says:

I will definitely be playing Torment: Tides of Numenera … on my PS4, since i found a pre-owned copy at Gamestop for little more than 10€.
    I also have to say it plays wonderfully on console (and yeah, i had *cough* tried *cough* it before on PC).
    Some excellent writing in that game, like I haven’t seen in a long, long time.
    Apart from that and on PC, while my wife ends Uncharted on the console, i will stick to the awesome Dead Cells (or toy around with the lovely Bob Ross Bundle from Hundle Bundle… Corel Painter Essential 6 for 12€ was a real treat!)

14. fish99 says:

Don’t want to start anything long since I’m expecting to start a Skyrim VR playthrough next weekend. I just hope it genuinely does support the Rift (as stated on the Steam page) and someone didn’t mess up somewhere. Also hope it doesn’t need multiple patches before it works well.

15. Clipz says:

Finally got round to tackling Prey after bouncing off it when it first come out. Cranking up to the hardest difficulty and taking my time to read every data log, note etc., seemed to pull me right into its world and now I’m loving it. Knowing a room is filled with mimics makes me so tense and I can’t get enough.

Bought Vermintide 2 and thanks to Prey I have not sunk nearly as much time into it as I’d like, always playing solo probably doesn’t help that, if there’s anyone out there looking to team up then hit reply! With Vermintide and The Creative Assembly’s foray into Warhammer I am quickly becoming obsessed with Warhammer lore (especially the Skaven), any book recommendations?

particlese says:

If you don’t mind doing The Discord Thing, RPS’s official unofficial one has a boatload of good rat bashers you could likely team up with. I’ve personally had my fill of the games for now, but it looks like others are still pretty active over there. “@Rats” is their war cry, should you be interested.

• KestraltheElder says:

Dan Anett’s Darkblade series is awesome. One of the best anti-heroes ever!

• SBLux says:

Prey is a masterpiece. Take your time and relish it, you won’t regret it.

16. Avioto says:

Devil May Cry HD Collection. I never got to play the 1st one and it’s surprisingly fun! I might skip DMC2 and go straight to 3 after this. I wish they had included 4 and the reboot, that would be a really nice package.

Other than that, I’m playing Umiro, Into the Breach and Ni No Kuni 2.

17. Ben King says:

Probably some Destiny 2 with my sister at some point. I was really excited about the SOMA safe mode but after the first hour or so I’m really struggling to enjoy it. The forthcoming No Man’s Sky update is still several months out but news of it still has me thinking I need to jump back in and explore some more- flesh out my base and upgrade my ship and suit- but invariably NMS game sessions just devolve into 45 minutes of toying around with photo mode and not getting anything done. In the real world I built myself a little backyard raised garden behind the apt so I’m planting a bunch of greens for my girlfriend’s pet bunny, and some jalapeños cilantro and tomatoes for ourselves.

18. Zenicetus says:

Well, I went ahead and bought Far Cry 5. I’m curious about the setting, and ready for some guns ‘n explosions mayhem after the sword ‘n bow combat of AC Origins. I’ll just try to go with the flow and enjoy the game mechanics, ignoring the plot where possible.

And then probably some Stellaris during breaks. Still trying to get used to the new (slower) pacing and changes in 2.02.

19. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Felt in the mood for another Ubisoft romp but didn’t want to pay full price for Far Cry 5, so I picked up Watch Dogs 2 on sale instead. And…hmm. I think maybe I’m just not currently in the mood for a game where you 3D print weapons and your progress is measured in “followers” and you can commit consequence-free, terrorism level acts of violence with the press of a button right from the beginning. For all the color and silliness, it just ends up feeling kinda depressing.

To be clear, I think this is probably more about me than about the game. Wrong aesthetic at the wrong time, I guess. Just finding it hard to turn off my brain and engage with the fun side of this one. Time to turn off the PC and get some reading done instead.

• bmxbandit says:

I’d suggest going the no-kill route. I also balked at some of the violent courses of action pushed your way from the off, leading me to restart with an eye to avoid any violence. The game became a LOT more fun as a result, even so much as making the dialogue seem far more natural. I mean, I never got far enough in my violent playthrough to find out, but the idea of the socially-conscious freedom fighter quipping about Aliens references after murdering a warehouse full of people seems utterly wrong.
      Crank up the difficulty, kill nobody.

20. Vacuity729 says:

Assassin’s Creed 4. I’m not sure it’ll hold my attention for the whole weekend though. I’ve played three hours and so far it seems kinda meh. Prior to AC Oranges, it seemed to be the most well recommended of the AC games. Is it going to become more interesting? I hope so.
    It’s a holiday week out here, too; Tomb Sweeping Day is next week, so we have time off from Wednesday onwards. I’ll probably get some more gaming in between swimming and hiking in the glorious weather; it’s forecast to be up at 30C on Wednesday and Thursday.

21. Kamestos says:

Far Cry 5. I really like the way you discover activities organically on the map, and the shooting is really solid, better than before.
    On the other hand the way the game interrupts you to get captured and listening the villains monologuing is extremely jarring, both mechanically and narratively (seriously one guy/gal is killing hundreds of your cultists and you don’t kill him/her as soon as you capture him/her ? 9 times ?).

GornValim says:

A Funcom weekend for me. Secret World Legends and Age of Conan. I’m not into MMOs, usually, but I don’t know, the chaos brought by other players is just what I need at this moment.
    In these open-world RPGs, I always take my time. Slowly walking along the paths, enjoying the journey at my own pace. But other players often pity me and, when running across me, they stop to tell me how to run. It’s nice and weird at the same time.

23. Captain Narol says:

Tactical Monsters Rumble Arena

It looks like a bad rip-off from Clash Royale, but in reality it’s a Tactics gem inspired by the battles from the Heroes of Might&Magic series.

Free-To-Play (but very grindy), challenging, competitive (in e-Sport spirit) and very fun, I’m addicted !

24. Viral Frog says:

Thanks to this new mouse (Razer DeathAdder Elite) I have FINALLY gotten over my plateau on various shooters and am seeing noticeable positive changes in my performance in various FPS’s. Most notably in Plunkbat. So, naturally, I will spend the majority of the weekend playing Plunkbat. It’s so nice to finally be able to nail precision 300+ meter shots with ease, consistently land headshots, and to be able to perform just as well at short, medium, and long ranges.

I will also be hovering up icons off the map in Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I’m not sure what it is, or why, but I’m just really enjoying this game despite some rather obvious flaws. I’m hoping I can get a friend to join in for some games this weekend, but we’ll see.

There will also be quite a bit of Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition through the base campaign. Despite the weird performance issues, the game is still just as fun as I remembered. Rocking a Sorcerer, of course.

Then there will likely be various other games sprinkled in. Some Fortnite here and there, Killing Floor 2, Vermintide 2 (I just finished the Skittergate mission and am about to hit the next difficulty level). Gonna be a good weekend.

• malkav11 says:

I’m impressed you can survive as a sorceror in NWN, given the complete lack of viable meatshielding on offer.

When I played it was with a monk, who are overpowered enough in 3rd edition that they don’t really need support.

25. kud13 says:

Soldiering on through “Mars: War Logs”. Got 3 days off, so figure I’ll get close to finishing it.

If I do, it’ll be some kind of action-adventure/ next… Psychonauts, or PoP: Sands of time, or maybe another attempt @ Beyond Good & Evil…

Big Dunc says:

I’m hoping to sneak in a few hours of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, in between chores, family commitments and screaming children. The missions all seem the perfect length considering the limited amount of gaming time that I have.

27. gabrielonuris says:

Still playing Blood And Wine from The Witcher 3 (50 hours already and not finished). Also, I’ve got some mods to play with Doom and Heretic (why not?), like The Ultimate Torment and Torture for Doom, together with Quake Champions Doom Edition Mod, and Brutal Heretic Mod.

28. Imbecile says:

I think I’m done with monster hunter world, so I’m trying Nier automata. It’s weird. It looks pretty dated, but the gameplay switches are interesting.

29. kiank37 says:

I will be playing Far Cry 5 of course! At least it’s fun even though the story may not be great. Overwatch will also be on the roster!

30. mundanesoul says:

Far Cry 5 for me, too. The 2 hours or so I’ve put in so far have been pretty fantastic. The story seems bad, like everyone has said–that “pee tape” bit is especially shit–but that’s never really been why I played those games. Plus I haven’t touched the franchise since a brief stint with 4, so I’m ready to dive back in to one of those. So far I’m fine with the progression and such, although the rampant bugginess is pretty terrible in spots.

(My favorite example of bug-induced weirdness thus far: I released a caged bear at an outpost. It ignored the many baddies nearby and tore off into the wilderness. Two minutes later, as I’m stealthily eliminating the cultists on my own, I’m suddenly taking damage from behind. I turn around to see that the bear is apparently back, though as soon I have it in view it immediately turns to flee once again into the woods. Best bear?)

31. Shinard says:

Dark Souls. Finally took down Gwyn, so now I’m doing New Game +. Theoretically aiming to get all the achievements (I am a bit of a completionist), but really just to enjoy going back through with battle hardened Souls skills. I beat the Gargoyles in one attempt this time round! No deaths! It took me about 20 goes the first time I did it. Though the Capra Demon can still sod right off.

Apart from that, Mount and Blade’s always there, maybe some Hearthstone, and I’ve been meaning to play Danganronpa 2 for ages. Loved the first, just need to put aside some time to get into it again.

32. GemFire81 says:

PixArk with the fam.

33. SaintAn says:

I’m depressed, and hopefully playing a new game will lift it. Going to try Wolfenstine New Order. And from what I’ve heard of it it’s somewhat similar to Man in the High Castle so I’ll rewatch that too.

Finished the new Voltron and started on the original Gundam Wing. Makes me want to find some mech games to play. Think I only ever played Chromehounds, Armored Core 4, MechAssault 2 multiplayer, and Zone of the Enders, so hopefully there’s other good ones out there.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Wing was my favourite Gundam for a very, very long time and still as a special place in my heart. Re-watched it semi-recently with my partner (she’s gradually working her way through various giant robot shows for the first time) and it still holds up so well. Hope you have fun. <3

As for mech games, we've got battletech coming in a month! And in a couple of months we'll have New Gundam Breaker – while it's the series first outing on PC I absolutely adored the previous one on PS4, so if the new one is anywhere near as good I'll heartily recommend that. So those are both something to look forward to.

• hijuisuis says:

Hard to find good mech games. My 3 favourites

Ring of Red PS2. Hybrid SRPG with tactical realtime, alternate WW2 history. Hidden gem.

Front Mission 5 PS2. More traditional SRPG but with insane mech customisation and anime style story.

Titanfall PC. Number 2 had a single player campaign, but the multiplayer is awesome fun.

• SaintAn says:

I’ll add Ring of Red to my emulate list. There’s so many games I missed on PS2 that I need to play.

I have Titanfall 2. I didn’t like the story but never tried the multiplayer so I’ll be sure to try that soon.

And I have one or two Front Mission games on my Vita but I only played a little bit of 3, though I did like the combat. Are the ones before 5 any good? I’ll add 5 to my emulate list too.

• SaintAn says:

Welp, I just beat Wolfenstein The New Order and it wasn’t as good as it was made out to be. Downloading Wolfenstein 2 right now, so hopefully it improves on the flaws of the first game.

Nauallis says:

Zombie Jesus Day has arrived again, let’s all celebrate the three-day respawn penalty!

Far Cry 5 & Stellaris for me, again, squeezed in between hosting family events.

35. milligna says:

Lots of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, it’s really hitting the spot and I find it impossible to resist thinking about mucking around making a new module…

• SBLux says:

Is the EE worth it in your opinion or should I stick to the Diamond Edition and fiddling with the NVIDIA control panel to improve graphics?

36. Rainshine says:

Enjoying the sun and probably trying some more Black Flag. I’ve been playing it off and on during the week. The gameplay, particularly on foot has been bleh — the jumping can be a little fun sometimes, I’m very glad that I don’t have to worry about jump timing like a platformer, but the ‘stealth’ aspect feels pretty shoddy and missing a lot of components I’m used to from other games, be it costuming or shadows.
    The naval combat though, is proving more fun. I’ve got swarmed a bunch, and I’m not entirely sure how the aggro works yet — sometimes other ships help out, sometimes not? — but just the beating downwind to tack around, and luring the warships to charge so I can drop barrels in their face then jib to give them a broadside is fun.

particlese says:

I still haven’t tired of the movement and gunplay of Lawbreakers, so there will once again be that. Southeast Asia’s 1v1 tournament is running tomorrow, which I’ll be helping out with, but my actual active participation in April’s 3v3 tournament has been stymied by long-planned holidays and tournament dates getting set in stone. Sad trombone noises were made upon that discovery, but the games have been getting super intense in the meantime as people ramp up their efforts. Lots of fun and humbling times to be had…

In terms of the new, there might be some Shadow Warrior 2 in order this long weekend. Someone wanted to play Killing Floor 2 with me, but that got a big fat nope thanks to its zombies and humorless gore and non-silly weapons and waves and so on. SW2, though! That was the surprise follow-up suggestion. And with it comes silly gore, apparently quite nice sword hijinks, totally-not-zombies, … We’ll see how it goes, but at least Adam’s WIT has prepared me for the biggest turn-off: loot.

Speaking of Adam, someone needs to fire that man, stat. Before he gets away!

particlese says:

Also Elite: Dangerous and probably Subnautica in VR since a driver update looks to have fixed the stuttering problem or at least pointed out the cause with an easy out available (a specific freesync situation with multiple monitors), but also Thumper! I got to World 6 at some point and am really enjoying it again after what feels like a long hiatus.

Food will be homemade pasta sauce, pasta optional.

38. geldonyetich says:

I’ve jumped back on the Stellaris train for now. I just finished winning a Federation victory with some robo-ascended Lokken Mechanists, and now I’ve started over with a custom race of robotic hive bugs that are all about building things. Ringworld or bust, I say!

As of Monday, I plan to play Skyrim VR, its release day having been pushed there. I will take a very serious run at it. I may or may not install a mod that puts impossibly attractive polygons in my VR presence. It seems like a terrible idea. It seems like a great idea. Nevermind, no time for that, I have teleportation to master and fireballs to throw in the immersive land of Skyrim.

• fish99 says:

Does locomotion (smooth moving) give you nausea in VR? It used to for me but it’s completely gone now. Might be worth persisting with it to see if it improves.

39. Gomer_Pyle says:

Been playing some SUPERHOT recently (though I’ve had it for ages), and been really enjoying it. Each level is sort of like a puzzle and you have to figure out the ‘trick’ to complete it, though there are multiple solutions for each one.

40. FizicsMcmanus says:

Spoiled myself after a brutal few weeks of winter and bought 3 big ones. Ni No Kuni 2, Far Cry 5 and God of War 4.

Ni No Kuni 2, super-polished, had some misgivings about the difficulty early on but I can see why they chose it now. Getting your face pounded by the first boss a la’ Dark Souls would probably turn a lot of people off, the pace they have now, eases you into it. As for Far Cry 5, I’ve only had a few hours in so far but can’t decide to play it more as a shooter with a mouse and keyboard or just relax with a gamepad more like Fallout 4.

God of War 4, well used to have a bud and we would race through each one, see who could finish first. I think it’s fitting that Kratos will have evolved, older, wiser more beaten down but still defiant. Should be a great ride.

41. Caiman says:

Heresy, Cadbury Cream Eggs are pure nectar. But then I only have one a year, it keeps me from burning out on them.

Game-wise, there aren’t enough hours in the day right now. Into the Breach has me by its claws, can’t get enough of it. Assassin’s Creed Origins continues to draw me into its world. Still trying to finish Prey. Still trying to finish The Witcher 3. Found an awesomely awesome indie game called Synthetik which is a more tactical twin-stick shooter, with some incredible weapons (and weapon feedback). Oh yes, and some game called Sea of Thieves. There are more, but I’m going to limit myself to those.

42. dethtoll says:

Nothing like a holiday about rebirth and resurrection to finish off Dark Souls 3 during.

43. Carra says:

Played a bunch of Surviving Mars this week and I enjoyed it. But since there’s no campaign, I’ve just about had it after 20 hours.

Next up? The last episode of Life is Strange: before the storm. After that? Maybe some more Civ 6, I’ve only spent a few hours with it.

44. Chorltonwheelie says:

Darksiders 2 freebie.
    Completely bonkers harum-scarum shooter. Great fun.

45. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Watch Dogs II, mostly. After finishing all the story and 95# of the big missions in Watch Dogs and Watch Dogs: Bad Blood, I have decided it is probably time to move on. Having a blast so far, currently grinding research points to unlock important security skills, so that I can break into HAUM 2.0 house undetected. However, that’s probably all I might have time for (except for some light Overwatch quickplay, perhaps) as I have a 600-level graduate seminar presentation on Tuesday and my seminarian-in-residence duties keep me busy during Easter in the church.

46. Darth Gangrel says:

It was my birthday yesterday, but I didn’t celebrate it with some gaming, since my sister and her two children came to visit us. I always do my best to entertain them, so she can rest.

They’ve gone home now, but I’ll probably do something else instead of gaming, because I’m not really in the mood right now. I have so many movies/books/whatnot to catch up on that my backlog will have to take a rest.

47. cpt_freakout says:

I loved Expeditions: Conquistador so I’m catching up with playing Expeditions: Viking. It’s been thoroughly engaging so far, although it’s got what IMO are more than a few design flaws (tediously looking for loot in locations just to see the map; a non-engaging camping experience – learn from puzzle games!; combat abilities that do not clearly state what they do…). I’m having a ton of fun, though, simply because like in Conquistador, you can see these guys really did their homework and read some history books. Stuff like remnants of the Roman Empire and miserable court intrigues in Britain are quite interesting and portrayed well.

• hijuisuis says:

I am so looking forward to this. Conquistador is one of my favourite RPGs because of the historic depth and outsider portrayals.

48. hijuisuis says:

Finished Riven! What a flawed masterpiece it was. I much preferred Myst because I could actually solve the puzzles.

Without hints I would never have finished this game, some of the design was so frustrating and the pacing was ridiculous. Yet, I loved it, the world, the story, the sounds were incredible.

Really bummed gog doesn’t have the next ones.

49. Chaoslord AJ says:

Having finished engaging but flawed FF15 I’ve turned to Ni No Kuni 2 now but it’s not quiet up to its hype.
    Also Sevtech:Ages for Minecraft, very very slow burn mod pack.

50. SBLux says:

Peanut butter creme eggs sound absoloutely disgusting.

This weekend I will be mostly playing Jalopy and Minecraft, probably. I’m still not bored of building things in Minecraft and I may never be.

Comment on this story