Overwatch’s next co-op event revisits history

The next cooperative PvE event mission for Overwatch will travel back in time to Venice and what I’m told is “a critical Blackwatch operation that ultimately led to the fall of Overwatch.” Arriving next Tuesday, April 10th, Retribution will see McCree, Moira, Reyes (pre-Reaperisation, as Soldier: 24), and Genji fighting through the streets and along the canals to escape Talon. New skins are coming too, of course. And this is the first taste of the Venetian new map, named Rialto, which will be coming to the regular game as an Escort map soon. Here, watch the trailer setting up the story:

Retribution will be available run April 10-30th. The official name for this event is now ‘Overwatch Archives’, a banner uniting seasonal story missions. Blizzard are retroactively rolling last year’s Uprising into this, and Uprising will return for this year’s Overwatch Archives event too.

Along with the Story Mode starring McCree, Moira, Reyes, and Genji, Retribution will have an All Heroes Mode that’s wave survival with whichever character you want.

The PvP version of Rialto, which is set during the daytime, is coming to the public test servers “soon.”

Shiny-wise, Overwatch Archives will bring Archive Loot Boxes with 160-ish items, including 8 new Legendary skins and items from ye olde Uprising.

Oh, a new Overwatch comic leads into all this, for loreheads. As with other hunks of Overwatch’s story, it’s grimdark growling totally at odds with the game’s goofy goodtimes where all the characters are secretly dating.

1. Seafoam says:

From what I’ve seen people seem most hyped for that Moira skin. And about 70% of those comments concern about her height or her stepping on on them. More you know.

Also I was quite suprised seeing such a detailed map being only used for story mode, but of course that wasn’t the case.
    I gotta say making it a Deathmatch map was a fantastic move on Blizzard’s part, since asymmetrical and quirky maps work the best there. Two birds with one stone.

• Excors says:

It’s not a deathmatch map, it’s escort (i.e. payload). (Well, I suppose they might eventually make a deathmatch variant of it too, like they have with lots of other regular maps, but that’s not what they announced.)

• Zorgulon says:

Yeah, it actually makes more sense that it’s a hybrid/escort map (like Kings Row last year) if it’s to be a sort of linear progression through objectives like Uprising was.

This all looks quite exciting: Uprising was great and will be fun to have another go at, and a Blackwatch version makes sense now that they’ve rounded up the roster a bit with Moira. There’s no Tank though, so I guess the dynamic will be a little less defensive. It seems like a base assault, and I’m impressed they’ve got what seem like completely new enemy archetypes to fight (in contrast to repurposed Bastions and Orisas last year). I’m looking forward to getting the chance to play it!

• Seafoam says:

Damn, I read PvP and immediately thought of free for all deathmatch. Oh well, wasted opportunity.

• wackazoa says:

“Also I was quite suprised seeing such a detailed map being only used for story mode, but of course that wasn’t the case”

Im a bit confused. Are you not aware that they have made specific maps just for one offs? 2 that come to mind are the latest capture the flag map and the French chateau for FFA deathmatch.

Im not calling you out. Im just not understanding.

• Excors says:

Those maps weren’t one-offs – CTF and deathmatch still appear in the arcade selection outside of events, and those maps can also be used in custom games. Retribution is expected to disappear after the event, like all the other PvE modes (which just used minor variations of existing maps – Uprising’s King’s Row, Halloween Eichenwalde, etc).

• wackazoa says:

“Those maps weren’t one-offs – … and those maps can also be used in custom games.”

Oh. I did not know that. Cool. Thanks.

2. Blackcompany says:

If they’d just commit to a coop mode, I’d probably play the game. It looks fun.

But alas, PVP focus is a no go.

• skyst says:

I felt the same way – I’m not all that into FPS or PVP but Overwatch is so much fun. You really should give it a shot.

3. ikehaiku says:

the paragraph about bringing old stuff into new mode thing is unclear – does that mean “old” PvE event will be permanently playable?
    I like the game from time to time, but really can’t play team PvP, I would welcome that.

• Excors says:

No. During the event (April 10-30), you can play last year’s Uprising PvE mission and the new Retribution PvE mission. After that they’re both gone, presumably until the same event next year.