Calvinball strategy RPG Disgaea 5 Complete due in May

Squad goals, dood

Fans of enormous numbers and beating your enemies to death with a living totem pole made of all of your friends, rejoice. Bizarro strategy-RPG Disgaea 5 is coming to PC next month, bundled up with every expansion and piece of DLC it accrued during its lengthy tenure on PlayStation 4.

Sorry for using the Switch version of the trailer – NIS America haven’t put the PC version up on their Youtube channel yet.

While I’m a little sad that they’ve decided to skip over Disgaea’s 3 & 4 for PC (4 is basically a Japanese take on Count Duckula, story-wise), I must admit that Disgaea 5 is the most mechanically interesting game in the series. While you can get away with playing it as a regular strategy RPG through most of the main story arc, it constantly tempts you to indulge in your wildest flights of theorycrafting in side-missions and optional playmodes, which all scale up to preposterously high levels.

If you’ve never played a Disgaea game before, that’s alright too. While characters from the other games in the series (plus a few other Nippon Ichi franchises) make cameo appearances, Disgaea 5 has a self-contained story, and starts things off nice and simple, gameplay-wise. Story-wise it’s complete nonsense even by anime strategy-RPG standards, but it does provide you with excuses to throw exploding hell-penguins at your foes, which is always nice.

For those familiar with the series, Disgaea 5 re-introduces some favourite features from earlier games, such as senator-bribing/beating political system allowing you to tweak and modify the rules of the game through accepted consensus. You can also level your bench-warming units by sending them off on expeditionary missions, capture and interrogate enemies (or just recruit them from your enemy’s ranks) and more besides.

Disgaea 5 will be out on PC on May 7th, and you can wishlist it on Steam here.

1. RedWurm says:

And to be fair the protagonist in Disgaea 4 was insufferable, so this one was very much a return to form.

• Erastoinen says:

I never did play Disgaea 4, but there’s no way he’s worse than Killia. Gameplay and mechanics-wise I really enjoyed Disgaea 5, but the writing was just plain terrible.

• SaintAn says:

I loved him. Though he and wolfman should have been a couple.

• Ur-Quan says:

And you think Kilia of all protagonists is better? He is every dark hero anime trope rolled into one character and played painfully straight without even a hint of irony or satire.

• RedWurm says:

I think Kilia is better in that he didn’t make me give up on playing the game. I suppose I should clarify that I don’t think it’s close to the original in terms of its cast, but ever since the first game the main protagonists have been pretty bland, while the supporting cast have to carry it.

• mitthrawnuruodo says:

He (Valvatorez) is the only one I found somewhat mature and not insufferable. The rest are all whining tropey anime brats.

• RedWurm says:

Oh damnit, it’s been so long that I only just realised I was talking about 3. Never played 4 since I don’t have a vita.

2. AceOfSpades713 says:

RPS alum Quentin Smith had very positive things to say about Disgaea 5 on Cool Ghosts: link to youtu.be

3. KillahMate says:

Important to repeat in case anyone missed it – this is a turn-based tactical RPG in which you can bribe the game to help you win – if you’re capable enough to pull if off. You are allowed, expected – nay, encouraged to cheese the fights in the most ridiculous manner you can conceive of.

4. malkav11 says:

Have they actually said they won’t be porting 3 or 4? Because just because they’ve skipped games along the way doesn’t rule it out necessarily.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Nothing saying they won’t eventually get to all the games, but they’re skipping straight to 5 for the time being.

• Yglorba says:

My guess would be that it’s easier to make a port for a game currently in development (when all your devs are familiar with the code and when you could even tell them to keep porting in mind while making it) than it is to dredge up decade-old code and try to port it today. They’ll probably decide whether to port 3 and 4 based on how well this one does.

5. ReesRacer says:

You had me at “Calvinball”.
    Although I’ve never had a go at any of the Disgaea games, I’ve been aware of them. I’m also quite fond of strategy/tactical RPG’s, so anything nearly as bat-shit bonkers as hyped here will have my money.

“New rule! New rule!
    If you don’t touch the 30-yard base wicket with the flag,
    you have to hop on one foot!”

• MikoSquiz says:

In the first one you can stack all your characters on top of each other and have the bottom one throw the stack, then have the new bottom one throw the rest, and repeat until you’re all the way across the map and can smash a magical pyramid causing a colored magical effect of +50% DEF or whatever in an area, causing a magical blast in that area and destroying another magical pyramid, etc, creating a big combo chain that blows up all the enemies on the map and awards you a lot of bubble gum and a boxing glove.

6. SaintAn says:

Hope they bring Disgaea D2 to PC too because that’s the only other I never did play besides 5. Though I’d be happy if they were all on PC.

• RedWurm says:

Well then, go have a look on steam, because D2 is already out.

• Erastoinen says:

It isn’t, actually. Disgaea 2 and Disgaea D2 are completely different games, confusingly enough. Disgaea D2 was released in between Disgaea 4 and Disgaea 5, and is a direct sequel to the first Disgaea.

Comment on this story