Hearthstone enters The Witchwood next week

If you go down to the woods today, you’re sure of a big surprise: daffodils should still be flowering. Highly recommended. But if you want to go down to The Witchwood, you’ll need to wait until Thursday, because Blizzard have announced that’s when they’ll launch that new Hearthstone expansion. Venturing into the spooky ooky forest outside the Worgen city of Gilneas, The Witchwood will add 135 new cards. Expect witches, wolfmen, wisps, and other weird and alliterative woodlife.

The Witchwood brings a new card ability to Hearthstone, named Echo, which lets players cast a card multiple times if they can afford it. That’s found on some minions as well as spells. And is slightly confusing because both Magic: The Gathering and Eternal use ‘Echo’ to mean different things.

Also new is Rush, which is a bit like Charge but in that it lets minions attack other minions on the turn they’re summoned – but, unlike Charge, doesn’t let them attack the enemy hero.

The expansion also has a theme of cards which give boosts if all cards in your deck cards have only odd or only even casting costs, with new neutral Legendary creatures for each type.

You can see the cards revealed so far over here. Blizzard will finish the slow reveal in a Twitch livestream on Monday the 9th at 11am PDT (that’s 7pm UK time).

Hearthstone: The Witchwood will launch on April 12th. As ever, Witchwood card packs will be winnable as well as sold for the in-game currency or real money.

1. Paranoid says:

It’s nice to have some choice in online card games these days, but Hearthstone is still the king at this point.

Dios says:

I urge any HS-player to give Eternal a shot, it’s much better designed and much, much more generous with handing out cards. The community is full of ex-HS-players who can never look back.

• Jokerme says:

Better designed in which aspect? It can be a better game but I doubt its general aesthetics and gameplay design being as good let alone better than HS.

People play HS because of its simplicity and its masterful art design. When I look at Eternal gameplay videos, first things that come to my mind are boring and ugly.

Dios says:

Uh, Eternal follows Hearthstone pretty closely, looks-wise, so i don’t quite understand this concern?

Design-wise, it’s much closer to Magic, while ironing out the flaws that make Magic awkward for a digital game while not sacrificing much in terms of depth in exchange(HS suffers hard here). It’s also very Johnny-friendly(We are an underserved demographic) and filled to the brim with all kinds of interesting synergies and the deck-diversity that follows from that. Hearthstone, meanwhile, doesn’t even allow the mixing of colors, which is mind-blowing to me.

• Martel says:

What are the queues like? I had a similar experience with Infinity Wars, which I loved, but ended up back at Hearthstone because 5-10 minute queues weren’t worth the better game.

• Captain Narol says:

I second the recommendation for Eternal, this game takes the best from Magic and Hearthstone and mix them harmoniously.

That just added monthly Sealed Leagues play, the only thing that was interesting me in Magic Online when they had some.

Now I can’t return to Magic Online as it feels awfully clunky compared to Eternal, nor to Hearthstone that is fun for a while but very shallow compared to the gameplay of Eternal (or Magic for that matter).

I’m grateful to Hearthstone for bringing so many new people to digital card games, but seriously it’s like “My first Book” for kids compared to Eternal and Magic.

2. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Does anyone at RPS play Elder Scrolls Legends? They just dropped a Morrowind expansion that seems like a lot of fun so far. (I enjoy Hearthstone too, but Legends is definitely closer to my heart, partly for the Elder Scrolls flavor and partly because the card art is so gorgeous).

3. Samudaya says:

I wonder if Witchmarsh will ever be published.

4. Carra says:

I’m still playing Hearthstone after all these years. I’m invested, I must have spent €400 on card packs by now so I can’t quit.

Comment on this story