Final Fantasy XV getting four new DLCs in 2019

28a1135dcf744f0f4accb3785e5e0379

Final Fantasy XV has already seen some story based DLC this year, but at PAX East there was an announcement from Square Enix regarding four add-on story packs coming to the game in 2019. The Dawn of the Future DLC hopes to set itself apart from other story-based add-ons by creating an entire season of alternate plot branches, building towards (what appears to be) a completely different ending.

The episodes will portray an “alternate grand finale” for the game, showing “a future everyone longed for,” meaning a possible outcome that could have existed for each of four characters:

The first full episode will focus on Ardyn and is tentatively titled The Conflict of the Sage. The episode “portrays the struggles of Ardyn. Witness the resentment he harbored toward Lucis for over 2000 years, and his clashes with the Astrals.” A smaller “side story” episode will focus on Aranea Highwind of the Niflheim Empire and will focus on the Starscourge disease. “The final day of the Empire turns out to be Aranea’s worst day,” Square Enix teased.

A third episode will let you play as Lunafreya and has the working title The Choice of Freedom. The story is “about Luna’s fate, which not even death can free her from. Her battle to save the one she loves overturns the destiny dealt to the Lucian King.” The final episode is titled The Final Strike and focuses on Noctis “parting way with the Astrals” as he “embarks upon his final battle in order to attain the ideal future for all his people.”

While I’d normal have reservations about going all Butterfly Effect with a story as complicated as Final Fantasy XV, it is a Final Fantasy game, so the most appropriate conclusion is make me wait a year to do a bunch of fighting that leaves me bewildered over the power and scope of love… or time… or the energy of love time.

Previously, Square Enix released DLC episodes focusing on the party members from the main campaign: Prompto, Gladio, and Ignis. All the DLC is being directed by Episode Ignis director, and Final Fantasy’s COMRADES will release updates starting this summer, in preparation for these new DLC packs to unleash early in 2019.

1. 65 says:

I’m looking forward to playing this game in 2023 when the complete edition is released.

• DeepSleeper says:

Or just, you know. Play the game. All of this DLC is extra stuff. You can probably miss it. Or come back to the game later. Just play it. It’s okay.

• RobinOttens says:

Is it all extra? These summaries all sounds like they’re pretty integral to the main story. Idk if these will be integrated in the game at all or selected from a menu like the previous ones. But all this dlc is only making me hesitant to buy the game now. I too feel like I should wait for some complete edition where all of this is made into one coherent whole.

Aerothorn says:

It will not be integrated in – structurally, the DLCs (from what we’ve seen from the character DLCs) just aren’t set up that way, happening in different places at the same time as the ‘main events,’ and if you actually played them in chronological order, you’d A. spoil some things ‘before their time’ and B. cause the games pacing to slow to a grinding halt, mostly in the second half. It would make it a worse game.

Aerothorn says:

(Also, all of them are a mix of minor sidequest stuff which is solid but doesn’t matter, and story stuff which is quite bad relative to the main game)

• malkav11 says:

What about “a possible outcome that could have existed for each of four characters” makes it sound integral to the main story? It’s a What If? An Elseworlds. And as such, completely superfluous to the main story, which is what canonically happens.

Remember, this is a Final Fantasy game. You don’t get to actually make plot decisions, so we’re not talking about adding plot branches here.

• RobinOttens says:

Oh I interpreted it as an alternate ending kind of thing

• malkav11 says:

There is apparently going to be an alternate ending, yeah. But not like a “true ending” or anything. Just another way things could have gone (but canonically, did not).

• Iskariot says:

I’d buy this, but the swords are too small.

• SBLux says:

I was about to say that Freud would have a lot to say about your dislike of small swords but here he is in this very thread and he’s only interested in the game.

• Freud says:

If there is one thing Japanese role playing games don’t cheat you of, it’s playing time.

Chances are you are done with the game without any DLC.

2. Danley says:

I’d pay for official SLI support as DLC if it came to it.

Getting close though (and some people seem to be having no problems at all): link to forum-3dcenter.org

Hardware isn’t cheap right now and a weekend of effort from developers would go a long way.

3. milligna says:

I don’t understand why those hairdos make me so upset and uncomfortable.

4. Kinsky says:

This is pretty rich given that the PC version still has some pretty dire technical issues on some common hardware setups due to lazy porting.

5. Assirra says:

So does this game still require you to watch a movie to make sense out of it? I remember reading about a character coming out of nowhere in the game doing stuff which apparently comes from the movie.

6. Chaoslord AJ says:

I’ll be back in 2019. The game could be really good if they add some more meat to it.
    BTW shouldn’t you tag the above as spoiler with all the info about Ardyn?

7. SBLux says:

I was excited for this game but then I played the demo. It looked and ran like garbage and totally crashed my PC forcing a hard reset. I’m not excited for it anymore sadly.

• pentraksil says:

If it means something, full game runs much better for a lot of people, me included. Still some weird physx problems with characters when the frames drop a bit bellow the limit.

8. UVtears says:

I really hope they’re working their collective asses off on FF7’s remake. I know, thanks to it being Squeenix and all, that I can’t expect much, but wasting time on more FFXV content seems…like a pointless distraction. Oh well. I don’t believe I have the capacity to run FFXV on my PC anyway, and I don’t care enough about Noctis & crew to ever buy this roadtrip simulator masquerading as an entry in a beloved JRPG franchise.

…I think I had that pent up a while.

9. pentraksil says:

I got the game on sale at GMG after people recommended it (RPS too) and after liking the demo….But after 6-7 hours of playing….I have to say that the game feels shallow and boring for me. World is gorgeous and the idea of a field trip is amazing…but only for a while. After that you realise that the game is mostly shallow, side missions are boring MMO/hunting-400 km fetch me this-style. Cooking, fishing, hunting and races are not enough for an RPG of today (and even they are not that fun). Main story gets a bit interesting but it is a minefield with a bunch of characters and decisions that make no sense at all (didn’t finish it though, so I might be wrong and YES I watched the movie and the anime) It really doesn’t motivate me to finish it. Combat is OK, but it seems really easy, had no problems even with some bosses. Doesn’t look like it matters that much in what road you take on the skill tree. All in all, really dissapointed in the end….Not a bad game at all…..but with the amount of praises and recommendations I expected more.

• geldonyetich says:

I hate to admit it, but after falling heavily into the hype train I have to say I find myself mirroring the sentiment.

The game puts on a great first impression of being a fairly unique open world action RPG. How many of those do you know are basically a Final Fantasy starring a boy band?

But then you get into the game proper, Chapter 3: The Open World, and what you basically run into is an extremely pretty but ultimately shallow experience compared to something like The Witcher 3.

Perhaps most telling is that most of the quests feel like busywork: get these frogs, recover my lost shipment, kill these monsters. And it’s like, “Oh, you enjoyed doing that? Well, that’s good, we’re going to make you do variations on that quest several more times.”

It doesn’t take long until I feel that familiar old school World of Warcraft quest hub feel. I burned out from old school quest hubs too many times. I have spent all the time I had for this routine in one lifetime. My body rejects it, it wants out. I don’t have the strength to endure.

In all fairness, if I persevered and played long enough, the game would go back on rails and play without the quest hub grinding anymore. Just several long walks down some gorgeous corridors. But do I care? Can I honestly prioritize needing to do this?

Not a bad game at all. But not quite good enough that I can make time for it.

10. jrodman says: