You didn’t know You Don’t Know Jack is back

large

The world’s favorite (most antagonist) party quiz game is making a return. You Don’t Know Jack brings its trademark multiple-choice questions and otherworldly categories to a year that desperately needs a reason to stop playing HQ Trivia. It’s not that HQ Trivia is inherently bad: it’s just that dude’s face. You know the face. You know what I’m talking about. You’re making a little fist right now. Just… just let the fist go. We’re here to talk about good things. This is a happy place.

You Don’t Know Jack is a weird cult of personality experience that, despite its many forms over the years, manages to bridge both genuine quiz show gameplay with ever-increasing antics. The games have been packaged and repackaged and ported into hundreds of forms over the years, including a series of books and (what the) a series of questions created just for the candidates in America’s 2000 Presidential Election? The questions were apparently sent to a group of radio stations, in hopes the hosts would get Bush or Gore to play along. Google is failing me on this, but if you can find those questions anywhere please send ’em my way.

Anyhow, at PAX there was an announcement from Jackbox Games that a Jackbox Party Pack 5 will be coming out Fall of 2018 to PC, consoles, and other major platforms. YDKJ (final title pending) will be one of five different games included in the package. The team also found a new way to re-structure the meta-narrative of this Jack game, in a playfully modern twist:

We didn’t want to do another YDKJ just because we could. We wanted to wait until we had a fresh take on the classic formula. This version sees the game (and Cookie) acquired by the friendly corporate overlords at Binjpipe, your premiere media bingeing streaming service. It’s a big scenery change that’s led us to update the game in really fun ways, and given us a ton of new stuff to make fun of.

I love Content Pipeline jokes. I love this so much already.

The new game uses phones (and web-enabled devices) to allow up to eight people to compete at the same time. As you might expect, there are plenty of surprises undoubtedly in store for players, and hopefully this title’s host is as good as Paul Ruebens was in 2001.

Delightful insert of marketing materials here:

I was hoping for a list of easy to digest bullet points?

Okay fine. Here are just a few of the features you can expect in the new You Don’t Know Jack:

Eight player support
Bigger, crazier Jack Attack
New question types
Audience integration
Brand new fart sounds
Streaming features
Begrudging meme references
New ways to Screw
A lot of old fart sounds too
More than one Frasier joke for some reason

You can sign up for the game’s mailing list through the official site to get updates as they are made available. The team will also be doing some Twitch streaming of the new title in the coming months.

1. Halk says:

You Don’t Know Jack, or as it’s called outside NA: Localization nightmare.

• DrMcCoy says:

The German localizations back in the day were pretty good, though.

A few years ago, I got the pack of original English YDKJ games on Steam (they do work via Wine one Linux, yay). A lot of questions were unanswerable for me, though. Not because of language difficulties per se, but because I didn’t get a lot of the obscure pop-culture references. It just wasn’t the same.

• aepervius says:

It isn’t the language it is the question which are mostly US centric. At least for the stream I watched there were waaaay too many question about US state, politician, laws, US ethno centric cultures, history and whatnot. Not only the pop culture reference per see, which frankly many of us would still get.

• Halk says:

They were great. But really, it was a different game, as most of the questions, jokes, and speech recordings had to be redone completely for German audiences, and the game did not consist of much more besides questions, jokes, and speech recordings…

I would be very happy if the localized version made a return as well.

Also: I would really like it if the games had a feature where you can combine all the editions you own into one big game with a really big question pool.

2. April March says:

More than one Frasier joke for some reason

They just don’t know what to do with all that salad and Frasier jokes.

3. Neurotic says:

Ah yes, the franchise that routinely appears on Bundlestars in 8,000 variations for 50 pence and a jam doughnut.

4. BritinBeirut says:

The world’s favorite (most antagonist) party quiz game is making a return.

– ‘most antagonist’?

• bmxbandit says:

Yeah, I know…

To be honest, you could pick any line of any article this guy writes and find fault with something. The syntax is generally so clunky and hard to parse that I really cannot understand how you could even go about writing in such a manner.

To Brock, as a humble suggestion, perhaps toning down the really forced pseudo-convesational style would be beneficial.

• Dave Mongoose says:

At least help the poor man to correct his errors!

It should be “antagonistic” or “antagonising”; “antagonist” is the noun.

5. Someoldguy says:

I guess these must be bigger in the US because they’ve completely passed me by in Blighty.

6. Zelos says:

Have they figured out online multiplayer yet?

alison says:

Interestingly, this is one of the very few games I’ve played with one of my console-loving North American friends. We kicked off a Skype call on our PCs then she booted up the game on her Xbox and answered questions with our phones. It was a bit laggy of course but worked pretty well.

• Slazer says:

The multiplayer technically works fine with all the Jackbox packs, as you play through your mobile device anyway. Twitch having a delay of 7 second seconds is an issue you can live with for most games, though it is definatley annoying. Haven’t tried streaming through steam yet

• phlogistic says:

Steam streaming has an awful delay, worst of anything I’ve tried. I’d actually go with Mixer for Jackbox, it has a low latency mode that cuts delay to just a couple seconds.

• narshero says:

I had problems playing the YDKJ that came in the first party pack because of latency, even when we were playing in the same room. Different people’s phones load the changing bits of the interface faster or slower, and that doesn’t matter for most of the games but when the buzz-in button isn’t available on one player’s phone for whole seconds after it’s become available for others, the game becomes nearly unplayable.

I love both the classic YDKJ games and the Jackbox Party Packs, so I’m hoping they’ve found a way to fix this issue (or changed the game so it doesn’t matter, like they did in Murder Trivia Party (Trivia Murder Party?)), but it was definitely a problem in YDKJ 2015.

Comment on this story