Wormhole Wars is the Portal arena deathmatch of your dreams

WWars-pic-2

Not every game needs to reinvent the wheel. Or even involve themselves in this business of wheels. Sometimes you need only grab a few universally beloved things and jam them together. If you had an arena multiplayer shooter that combined the best levels of Halo with the constant world-bending of Portal and added a dash of the best parts of Overwatch, well, that’s what Wormhole Wars looks like it wants to be. And that’s what I want it to be too.

Wormhole Wars is targeting a February 2019 release, and is presently receiving an overhaul after a big funding increase. The team based world-bender has a few items to iron out at this point. The shooting and world seem built on solid foundations, even if the lore sounds giggle-worth video gamey. (Not that an arena shooter with physics puzzles needs a game bible.) The gameplay looks head-spinny and delightful, but the use of team-based portals that are visible to all players but can only be used by the players that create the portals… it seems like it needs a few passes to clean it up, but if they can nail this down into a clean portal shooter, then I’m all in.

Also, it is absolutely worth it to read the incredible pure bios for the guys behind 1047 Games:

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 11.58.32 PM

Check out the trailer for the game here:

You can follow the game at the official website here. There’s an open alpha and such that you can get in on now.

Some better footage than the official footage is available below. This… feels like what Prey (2006) was trying to pull off. Those multiplayer servers have been dead for ten years, but this feels like a more polished version of that. Multiple commenters say this looks like a PS1 title? First, you don’t remember what the PS1 looked like, you dino hunter poseur. Second, whatever: it looks cool and I’m cool and I’m going to play it.

Hop in losers, we’re doing portal murders.

1. megazver says:

I’ve recently had a thought that it’s been long enough since the last time Valve has released anything, that if someone straight up made a Portal clone, with the gun and the test chambers and a sassy AI, people would just go “finally, _someone_ made one again” instead of giving them shit about it.

2. Nelyeth says:

Looks neat. I don’t think I have it in me to fire up another multiplayer shooter, but I really like what they’re doing with this.

3. Ejia says:

I was half expecting this to be a plunklike.

4. yonsito says:

Reminds me of UT Morpheus. Those were the days.

5. ggggggggggg says:

deathmatch shooter with a portal gun is such an incredibly perfect idea that I have no idea why nobody thought of it 10 years ago

6. Rath says:

Is this what chunks of John Crichtons’ brain were sacrificed for?

7. Gillador says:

It looks really cool, although i think i would be completely lost and dying in a matter of seconds. I can’t even feel safe with my back against the wall anymore.

• April March says:

Likewise. I’m crap at regular shooters – I can barely hold my own in TF2, the one I’m best (less worse) at. And in Portal, I’d usually need many tries to perform any marginally complex jump and often stay for a long in a stable configuration, waiting for the perfect time to portal out (and missing). My performance at this game would be ‘practice target’.

8. treat says:

No fault of the game, but I just can’t get behind Halo style deathmatch, no matter how great the idea is. I’d really like to see the concept find a foothold with Quake/UT style crowds. Someone appeal to my sensibilities, please!

If anyone knows of an active HL2 DM mod that introduces portals, I’d love to hear about it.

• April March says:

I never played Halo, what’s the difference?

• treat says:

Slow/floaty movement and jumping, regenerating shield/sometimes health, 2 weapon limit, etc. The kind of stuff games gravitated toward for years in the mid/late 2000’s. It’s not bad by any means, just not my bag.

• Cederic says:

I will confess that reading that their FPS credentials are Halo did make me mentally write-off this game.

I don’t expect an FPS to be like Quake or UT, but I do want my online FPS game designers to have played those, played early incarnations of Battlefield, spent time on CS and its competitors, been good at TF2 and ideally dabbled with Arma.

Not that I do much online FPS gaming, so really I want my FPS designers to have completed Far Cry, Unreal, Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3d, Deus Ex, Max Payne, obviously Half Life and then a scattering of more modern titles.

It’s not that I want these games recreating, I just expect professionals to be professional and learn about their profession.

Which doesn’t mean these two guys haven’t done all of that. They maybe just didn’t have room to mention it in their bios.

9. Menthalion says: