Be an RPG shopkeep by day, hero by night in Moonlighter

Moonlighter

Looking at Digital Sun’s upcoming management sim/action-RPG hybrid Moonlighter, it’s hard not to draw comparisons to excellent Japanese indie of yesteryear, Recettear. And as far as I’m concerned, that’s just fine, because I haven’t played anything that quite scratched that itch in nearly 8 years. Run a generic fantasy equipment shop by day, crawl through the dungeons for more stock by night. How else did you think those merchants make money?

To be fair, Moonlighter looks like a somewhat more complex game than Recettear, at least on the surface. While it took a while for the 2010 import to show it’s true colours, the screenshots on Moonlighter’s official site are full of enticing-looking crafting systems, crunchy equipment menus and dense looking UI’s, at least by gamepad-friendly action-RPG standards. The art style also helps the game stand out. While this particular brand of non-outlined sprites with broad blocks of colour is currently in vogue, I feel it leverages it well, at least in the gameplay footage shown so far.

The tone of the trailer also puts your protagonist’s desire to be an adventurer first and foremost, making management of your inherited family shop a seemingly secondary concern that you’re forced into by responsibility, rather than any great desire to haggle the pants off of every wealthy looking traveler that wanders in through your door. Dungeon crawling seems to be the heart of the game, with the store management existing to provide you the income you need to upgrade and improve your gear to delve deeper into monster-infested territory.

Moonlighter is due for release on May 29th, and will be on Steam, GOG and the Windows 10 store. No price has been announced for the game quite yet, and I doubt that 11 Bit will let you haggle for a better deal once they’ve made their decision.

1. Blowfeld81 says:

Most excellent.

Looks like an instabuy to me.

2. Red_Fox says:

This actually looks quite good.

3. BooleanBob says:

So not to overthink this, but isn’t it weird that you’re competing with your customers by searching the dungeon for weapons, that you’re then going to sell to them so they can go into the dungeon to look for … more weapons? This economy seems lopsided to say the least.

• Heavenfall says:

Adventurers frequently go into dungeons and collect loot only to pawn them off to vendors in towns, only for those vendors to turn a profit selling them to the next adventurer. This guy just took the logical step of skipping the middle vendor man, so to say.

What I’m wondering is where’s the money sink? Cause as soon as you find a Poisonous Great Dagger of Old Gods +5 and sell it, you and your self-owned shop ought to be set for life.

4. FordTruck says:

this has me super excited but KYNSEED is going to be crazy it’s like this visually, but ultra-ambitious with the aging system and playing as your child once you pass away…like fable mixed with Ultima.

5. Templar says:

This caught me by suprise. This normally wouldnt be the type of game Id find myself looking to enjoy but after watching the trailer I find myself strangely fascinated.

The loop of relaxed shop keeping mixed with intense dungeon crawls sounds like a nice change of pace. The smooth cartoonesq graphics look relaxing after the avalanche of pixel vs photo realistic offerings these days. Even the music was charming.

Games have been so serious and in your face these days that when stuff like this comes along it reminds me that less can be more. First impressions have been great and I will be keeping an eye on this.

Comment on this story