Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds removes everyone’s clothing, and not even in the fun kind of way

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

Another day, another patch for Plunkbat, that semi-popular game colloquially known as Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds to some people called Brendan. It’s a game-changer today, making the murder-fields tragically less fashionable, but slightly more functional. From this day forth, no longer will random, extraneous items of clothing be spawned in the middle of otherwise-useful piles of weaponry. End of an era, I know.

The full patch notes for ‘1.0 Update #10’ are rather extensive, to say the least. Getting top billing is a range of changes to how blue zone damage and closure speeds are calculated. The patch notes page has the full alterations in handy tabulated form – it’s a bit dry, but the long and short of it is that the pauses between blue zone contractions are reduced, although in later phases of the game the actual movement of the Blue Wall Of Deathfulness will be slower than you remember.

That’s not to say that slower means safer. The final three phases of the game are increasing the killularity of the Smurf Sector, with the ninth and final phase of any given match dealing a honking great 14hp of damage per second you’re caught outside. Still, the biggest deal for many is the removal of clothing spawns, along with some other tweaks to item spawning. While you can still dress up your avatar as you see fit between games, the moment you’re on the battlefield, the only thing you’ll be putting on is helmets and flak jackets.

Plunkbat

The removal of clothing from in-game spawns is a double-edged sword for sure. On one hand, you’ll no longer find yourself desperately struggling to pick up a gun when all your character wants to do is switch between two nigh-identical pairs of jeans. On the other, you’ll not wander into a building dressed like you’ve just fallen out of bed, and walk out clad in the finest 21st century combat chic. Leather dusters never went out of style, but now you’re going to have to either win them in post-match loot boxes or pay top dollar to snag them from another player.

Last of the major changes this update is a variety of improvements made to the northern half of the Miramar map. A new oasis here, a new village there, some new roads and dirt paths and a handful of additional car spawn locations. They also claim to have reduced GPU load when looking at buildings at mid-range, presumably through some LOD or occlusion-based jiggery-pokery. To further encourage players to gravitate towards this half of the map, the patch notes promise higher-tier weaponry being more likely to spawn in a few key buildings.

There are a few more tweaks introduced in update 10, such as tarp and carpet materials now generating footstep noises, indoors plants losing their all-natural bulletproof properties, as well as some tweaks to the team invitation interface. You can read the rest of it here.

1. Koozer says:

The first time I played Plunkbat I got excited at the idea of roaming the wastelands collecting new and exciting items of ghastly clothing. Dreams were soon dashed when I realised they were only permanent from loot crates.

• Dankanator says:

What really sucks is the way this article was written along with the little hipsters that saying phrases like plunkbat. I wont lie, that word has to be the stupidest omg I want to be cool and accepted word ever. PUBG! That is it, that is the shortened name of the game and the fact that people actually say plunkbat even after the company said they do not like the name just shows how immature the keyboard rage is. kkthxbye

• Beefenstein says:

You seem irrationally angry. Please don’t hurt yourself or others.

• Dave Mongoose says:

I concur.

The irony accusing others of keyboard rage then ending with kkthxbye is quite beautiful, though.

phuzz says:

“Pub-guh” doesn’t exactly roll of the tongue though does it?
        Whereas “plunk” sounds like the sort of noise that, for instance, a bat, might make when bouncing off someone’s skull. Much more fun, Plunkbat it is!

• DustySmoke says:

people don’t say it like that they just say PUB-G they prenounce the G like an adult not a child so it’s more like pub geee rather pub guh as they would teach you in primary school. I have to agree with dank no one I know calls it plunk bat it doesn’t sound anything like the games name and really sounds like someone trying to sound cool in front of his mates “hey guys I called it plunk bat hahahaha”, yeah it’s not funny you sound like a muppet the games called PUBG by the devs and everyone i’ve ever met so you’re not starting any fads mate.

• Xelias says:

Well, a smarter person might argue that PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUND is a stupider name than any other name ever. PlUnkBat is a deliberate way to poke fun at the most stupid name ever used for a video game.

• wengart says:

Eh, PUBG is probably the most annoying way of saying the games name. Personally I go with Battlegrounds.

• kud13 says:

I have zero interest in any kind of multi-player game, so this really isn’t a opinion that’ll be relevant to anyone involved.

But everytime I hear “pub-gee”, it sounds silly. It sounds in line with “funzo”, or “furby”- a 2-syllable catchy and somewhat diminutive title for a stuffed animal.

Mind you, ” plunkbat” doesn’t make significantly larger amount of sense, but it has the virtue of being inherently nonsensical. Whereas “pub-gee” …I dunno. It’s a title that’s meant to be taken seriously, but I just can’t.

And given how much it’s in gaming media where I can’t escape it (although I really don’t care for it), I find “plunkbat” easier on the brain.

Just my .02

• Xelias says:

You should sit down and take a cup of tea love. It might help you calm down.

• SuicideKing says:

i herd u leik plunkbats

• hungrycookpot says:

That interview was clearly an April fools joke, everyone knows that Brendan “Plunk” Greene knows that Plunkbat is the correct abbreviation.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I think I might use this post in my essay “Why hipster is the most overused and misunderstood term in human history before millennial”

2. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

So, do they think that this is actually a good idea; or just plan to monetize as many loot boxes as they can before the end?

• Kyle700 says:

It’s only a bad idea if you’ve never played the game. Thank fuck they removed this garbage. Running through a house only to find a bunch of fingerless gloves sucks.

• Fachewachewa says:

So running through a house only to find absolutely nothing is better ? I liked looting clothes, it added a little silliness to an otherwise way too serious game :(

• WoodGuyThreepBrush says:

Perhaps a little too much of an over-reaction? I’m sure your Battle Royale experience won’t be ruined by the lack of putting on clothes for the silliness factor.

Plus, I’m pretty certain that in your colourful PUBG history, you too have experienced the anguish of those hot landings, you and 3 other pawns scrambling to grab the M416 and instead coming away with a shiny new pair of trousers…

PUBG doesn’t strike me as going for the silliness coin. Leave that pursuit to Fortnite.

• hungrycookpot says:

That’s a huge problem, in your first 3 matches before you figure out how to loot correctly.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Of course there could not be a “UR DOIN IT RONG” post here.

• Moraven says:

Not when its stacks on guns and ammo and you hot drop around 20 others.

• theirongiant says:

All the clothes that spawned in world is available on the market for around the $0.01 – $0.03 mark.

3. Bull0 says:

That sucks. My favourite part of this game is jumping in my skivvies and dressing in whatever I find as I go.

• Beanholio says:

I think you can still loot clothes from fallen enemies so you’ll just need to kill somebody before you get dressed.

• Cederic says:

“What the…? We’re on the same team!”
        “Yeah, but I wanted that skirt.”

• WoodGuyThreepBrush says:

Really? That’s your favourite part?

Easily pleased much. You could just litter your house with clothes and walk around putting them on – save yourself the broadband bill ;)

4. caff says:

If I was a suspicious person, I would assume they were trying to force people to collecting clothing via monetised loot crates.

• hungrycookpot says:

If you’d ever played the game, you’d know it has nothing to do with it, since you can’t keep clothes you pick up on the bat anyways.

5. Krobious says:

I’m honestly baffled reading this article. So much so that it moved me to register for RPS just to explain. Throughout, the tone of this article is negative against PUBG and this patch. As an avid player of PUBG (1000+ hrs), I say how dare you. There have been so very many patches in the past that have small things here and there, improving some sounds, changing up some UI, etc. but generally ignoring the requests of the immense player base (what do you mean “semi-popular”? Do some research, this game set records). This is the first patch where the headliner is something fan-requested. Removing clothes from spawning and getting in the way. This is something the community has wanted since RELEASE. Alongside this, the ability to kick players is now added; Another long awaited addition. This patch revived my hope in the PUBG development team, and seeing this article was appalling. This patch was a huge sigh of relief. It’s a good direction for PUBG, and I respect it and the devs for moving in the right direction. Please, don’t publish such ignorant opinionated crap like this.

• fuggles says:

But it’s amusing! They’ll add building next and rename it to playerunknown’s fort knight.

• Dominic Tarason says:

I figured it wasn’t necessary to repeat the very well known fact that Plunkbat is the most popular multiplayer game on Steam by a significant margin, as it has been so for the past six months at least.

While improvements to the desert map are nice, as an admittedly terrible player, most of my experience with the game has been inadvertent combat-fashion modelling and hiding in bathtubs. Now they’ve deprived me of the fashion part of the experience.

• mruuh says:

Moooom, someone on the internet has an opinion different from mine, make them stop!

• Ejia says:

How dare you, I say

• Skabooga says:

But that’s what makes RPS so great! The writers are free to voice their opinions, even if that means disagreeing with each other or with popular sentiment. That, and RPS makes fun of everything, especially games they like. I would go so far as to say that the only RPS writers who don’t make fun of Plunkbat are those who don’t play it regularly; the ones who write about it are fans of the game, just like you.

Perhaps you are new here (if so, welcome!) and unfamiliar with RPS’s generally light and breezy tone. It can be disconcerting when your expectations are subverted (like taking a swig of what you thought was orange soda, when it turns out to be lemon-lime), but stick around and read a few articles in the back-catalogue with the expectation that they are going to make fun of every game they come across, regardless of how much they enjoy it, and you might even find that you enjoy their particular style.

• mcgiants says:

Teach me your ways of patient and wholesome responses to toxic internet comments.

• skeletortoise says:

I mean, ignoring everything this comment reveals about you, your reading comprehension, and your definitely existent sense of humor, what actually bothers me about this is that you criticize the writer for being opinionated. You clearly don’t care that this article is opinionated, you care that it dare to express slight negativity about something that you’re happy about. If the article was overwhelmingly positive you wouldn’t have bothered commenting. Don’t pretend like you’re disgusted by RPS’s lack of professionalism or objectivity or integrity or whatever. They hurt your feelings because they said mean things about a patch for your favorite game.

• spindaden says:

“You clearly don’t care that this article is opinionated, you care that it dare to express slight negativity about something that you’re happy about.”

Good grief, the irony.

Dominic’s post is a lighthearted news blog, and not a hard hitting piece of well researched journalism, but as the 1 person on the internet who has never plunked bat, I still appreciated Krobius putting it in context.

• tigerfort says:

How dare you, sir or madam! I am the only person on the internet not to have plunked bat! You are clearly an impostor, perhaps even the person responsible for it selling [checks current total] twenty-zillionteenth copies every week!

• Sian says:

Well, I’ve never plunked a bat either and I got the light-hearted tone. It probably helps that I’ve been reading RPS for years and know what to expect, but still: This article is far from negative.

• skeletortoise says:

“Good grief, the irony.”

Point missed, huh? I’m not automatically bothered by someone disagreeing with or criticizing RPS (I disagree with its writers all the time, that’s how opinions work), but they shouldn’t imply that they’re bothered by the failure to meet some lofty journalistic ideals when they’re really just annoyed anyone would criticize a game they like. There’s nothing wrong with a dissenting opinion (necessarily), but they were disingenuous and hypocritical about it and that was my primary issue.

“Someone expresses a slightly negative view of an RPS article and gets swamped in defensive replies.”

Perhaps you struggle with tone as much as the original commenter does, but this reads like someone reacting to having their mother insulted, not as slight negativity. Beyond that, so what? Are we not allowed to respond to his over the top criticism of an article that he’s upset by because he holds the minority view? If you want to criticize something expect people to react to it. They did a bad job, partly because they are an excessive Plunkbat fanboy and partly because they failed to understand the tone and humor in the article, and we are pointing that out. RPS isn’t the one with the kneejerk aversion to criticism here, they’re responding directly and specifically to the faults in this comment. Frankly, there’s only one comment, that happened after your reply, that seems particularly mean spirited. The way this person expressed their “slightly negative view” doesn’t really warrant the benefit of the doubt that’s been given, but that’s RPS for you.

“I for one, welcome his input and counterpoint, and it’s a valid contribution to the discussion.”

He does make a decent case for the change, but it’s predicated on a) the incorrect idea that Dominic was excessively negative about it in the first place and b) that criticism of Plunkbat is a life or death affair. If they’d expressed themselves rationally and reasonably in the first place this comment chain would probably be almost nothing but discussion of the pros and cons of this patch.

• DeBobbler says:

Someone saying negative things about something you like and bitching about it is so childish, grow up a little. ‘what do you mean “semi-popular”?’ so obviously a joke….
      I’d say bullshit to people wanting the clothes gone, it was fun to dress up more/run around half naked finding random clothes. Some people bitched about it but most streamers/players I know didn’t give 2 shits at all. It’s a good direction for PUBG? fuck off, it’s 100% just a way to get even more money, they aren’t exactly a small company anymore.
      “Please, don’t publish such ignorant opinionated crap like this.” why not? pisses kids like you off and the rest can watch and laugh at you whiny little pricks. The net’s here to let people and a voice and opinions (and share memes).

• Beefenstein says:

“I’d say bullshit to people wanting the clothes gone…”

I think there was at least a large minority asking for it.

• Da5e says:

‘As an avid player of PUBG (1000+ hrs)’

TBH I don’t believe you – if you had really played it that much, you’d surely know that it’s actually called ‘Plunkbat’?

• SuicideKing says:

HOW DARE YOU miss just an obvious joke! HOW DARE YOU

I SAY GOOD DAY SIR, GOOD DAY

• hungrycookpot says:

Dude, if you get twisted over vaguely hostile articles about PUBG, you need to stay FAR away from all things PUBG-related apart from playing the game. A game this popular is basically inundated with whiners and moaners about what a shit game it is. Why they don’t just go play something else, I don’t know, but that’s the way it is.

6. Hell-Nico says:

My god, RPS showing once again what a garbage fire of a site it is.

I can’t wait for Steam to remove them from the “news” section of steam so they will loose 99.9% of their traffic and finally stop flooding the news with shit trash tier vomit they dare calling “article”.

• R. Totale says:

Well this escalated quickly.

• mruuh says:

Yep, some people lack either tongue, a cheek, or even both. Or are simply unable to put one into the other, for some reason. INTERNET IS SRS BZNS!

• TheAngriestHobo says:

ok

• robotslave says:

This comment is amazing. Perfection.

Right down to the “loose” instead of “lose”

This is how you do it, people. This is a proper internet post.

• Nihilexistentialist says:

On the other hand I happened to gain valuable info out of here without having to read a dull press release or page of patch notes. Do I agree with their viewpoint on the game? Certainly not, but I’m an adult and know that I don’t need to be surrounded by people who agree with me and nothing else.

• Beefenstein says:

What these articles need is to be more like your comments: meaningles diatribes which make negative statements without providing any reasons for doing so.

phuzz says:

Ah, the old “lose/loose” conundrum!
      Here’s a handy way to remember the difference:
      Lose – getting words wrong on the internet.
      Loose – your mum.

• SaintAn says:

If that’s your thoughts on the only decent gaming blog I’ve been able to find since Joystiq died, then I want to see your beautiful agony when you come across the reaaaaallllly shitty ones like Kotaku, Gamespot, and Polygon.

Also, for the only time in my life I’m a one percenter!

• Xelias says:

I WILL NOT TOLERATE SILLYNESS ON MY VIDEO GAMES NEWS. VIDEO GAMES ARE A SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU SHOULD KNOW. SHAME ON YOU. HOW DARE YOU MAKING FUN OF PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUD?

7. lfcifer7 says:

“plunkbat”… shame. Pub G ftw. If you’re gonna join team plunkbat put it in the title.

• Dewal says:

True. RPS, if you plan to follow on the “plunkbat” bandwagon (a bit too edgy, if you ask me), at least do it well !

• abstrarie says:

Is this supposed to be funny? Or do you not know what the term “edgy” means? Because I know Mr.Plunk himself doesn’t know what edgy means, so I guess it is possible that other people don’t.

Anyway, calling something a funny name: not edgy. Dressing in all black leather and dual wielding shotguns or something like that: edgy.

I personally refer to the game as Uncle Brown now. Is that edgy?

• Dewal says:

Seeing that RPS invented the term “plunkbat”, they didn’t “join the team” and even less “followed the bandwagon”; I hoped that in combination with the “edgy” reference it would make the joke obvious. But I forgive you, with all these unfunny people wandering about you can never be sure. I myself can’t decide if lfcifer7 is either joking or being ignorant.

Qazinsky says:

I do not actually believe RPS invented “Plunkbat”. Twice now, Alice has stated that she did not come up with the name, in a comment yesterday and before that, on the podcast.

I don’t think she specified who she learned it from, but seeing as everyone always assume she made it up, I don’t think anyone else on RPS came up with it either.

• abstrarie says:

I apologize for my damaged sarcasm detector. When I said “is this a joke?” that was my attempt to show I was unsure, but I dove into my rant anyway because I felt it needed to be said.

I will keep calling the game Uncle Brown until someone else jumps on my handmade bandwagon.

• Nihilexistentialist says:

I think it’s pretty funny that you just regurgitated a recent RPS article and act like this is insightful. Big news for you: Both PUBG the game and calling it plunkbat come across as edgy and tryhard in their intent. Both happen to be fun despite that.

• plugmonkey says:

I can only speak for me, but I call Plunkbat ‘Plunkbat’ because it’s silly.

Silly is the opposite of edgy.

• benkc says:

I heartily guffawed. Thanks.

8. Pelt Hunter says:

It’s almost hilarious when new people come to RPS and don’t understand the humor and vernacular so just go off on a wild tangent. You can just picture the red-face, sweat-beads and steam emitting from their ears as they furiously type a response.

@lfcifer7, considering RPS started the term, it’s no surprise they use it consistently.

I’m not an RPS supporter just yet but I do listen to the podcast consistently and have read it, seemingly, forever. Keep up the great writing and offbeat humor.

• Baines says:

Steam posts RPS articles to the News sections for games. Any PUBG fan who goes to play the game will currently see the RPS headline for this article with the intro sentences.

And viewed from that perspective, it does come off as uninformed and/or click-baitish.

• airmikee99 says:

Is it really that difficult to change the Steam UI to List or Grid views so the news doesn’t show up?

And if you think it’s clickbait, why did you click it? Do you realize that’s doing exactly what the clickbait is designed to do? Is there really no other way for you to express your displeasure that doesn’t perpetuate the very scheme you’re displeased about?

If it’s clickbait it’s designed solely to produce page views, which you’ve not only accomplished, but you’ve also commented upon it, thus driving up the engagement figures for this post which will only encourage similar posts that will also drive up engagement.

If you think something is click bait, don’t click it. It really is that simple.

• MajorLag says:

I think it says a lot about gamer, and internet culture in general, that this keeps happening.

9. White Prime says:

Do you know the most disgusting thing about your violently uncool ‘PlunkBat’ nonsense, mate? It’s the fact that, rather than keeping it to yourself, you actually LET BRENDAN GREENE BELIEVE that players were genuinely referring to the game as PlunkBat.

You actually knowingly tricked the games creator into thinking that his playerbase liked – and widely used – a skanky term such as ‘PlunkBat’.

You irritated me so much with this that I actually created this profile solely to type this comment. And what’s more: I don’t even play PUBG in the first place!

You’re such a knob, man.

Thank you and good day.

• skeletortoise says:

Oooh, the rare comment that leaves me completely unsure if the commenter is serious. The first half almost sounds complimentary to the writer’s presumed shenanigans. It’s written with the deliberate and precise style of the outraged complaint letter. The word choice is delightful, passionate, and over the top throughout. And the idea that such a harmless trick as having a person think folks were calling a thing something they actually weren’t could pull a complete bystander into the fray boggles the mind. A wild ride throughout, 10/10.

• BlankedyBlank says:

I thoroughly enjoyed this comment. Thank you.

• skeletortoise says:

I forgot to touch on the ALL CAPS, which might be the most interesting nugget in the whole thing to me. The way it reads in my head, I can’t decide whether it emphasizes how awful the unthinkable act of indirectly fooling someone into thinking something trivial is, or that it’s especially awful because it’s done to BRENDAN “PLUNKNOWN” GREENE. I’d have to say the former makes more sense (though it makes virtually no sense), but the idea that someone out there basically worships Brendan Greene and defends him like he’s a helpless baby but doesn’t actually care for the one thing that he’s actually known for is just too amusing to deny. Regardless of whether this person is serious or just having a laugh, this is a work of art.

• neilsayers says:

Hmmm… You’ve got me in a bit of a quandary now: “PLUNKNOWN” – Is that pronounced “PLUNK-NOWN” (hard ‘k’) as in the correct name for Plunkbat, or “PLUN-KNOWN” (soft ‘k’)?

• skeletortoise says:

Hard K, I think. Not because it makes sense, but because it doesn’t sound like anything the other way. Plus, it fits better into the Plunkverse that way. PLUNK-KNOWN.

• shiverczar says:

See, I now have to disagree heartily with your entire nickname for him. Plunkbat hinges on PLayerUNKnown, right? Which is his entire nickname, followed by “BATttlegrounds” so if we’re going to give him a plunky nickname, it should just be:
            BRENDAN “PLUNK” GREENE, which has added benefits in what you can imagine that PLUNK sound being.

~account created just to reply to that beautiful comment reply (and because I do use RPS, I just never bothered to make an account – thanks for the post Dominic)

• airmikee99 says:

You made an account just to complain about a word used to describe a game you don’t even play?

How ironic that you called someone else a knob.

• Thants says:

That’s a truly baffling response to a website using a silly pet-name for a videogame. If it offends you that much I recommend that you leave and never come back, because that’s the sort of this this site does all the time.

• Hartford688 says:

Weirdest post of the day, congratulations. And there was stiff competition. Be proud.

• Xelias says:

A lot of people like and use the name “PlUnkBat actually. My circle of friends adopted it for example.

• Flavour Beans says:

I have three circles of friends that I play Plunkbat with, and it’s the predominant term in all of them. The only person in any of the three circles that has a problem with it is my brother’s friend’s little cousin, and he’s the sort of guy whose sense of humor has him find merely dropping random racial slurs into conversation to be the funniest thing anyone can do.

Judging by the every-other-day stories we get about streamers and pro Overwatch players anymore, it seems he’s actually part of a fairly sizable chunk of the gaming community.

Point being, plenty of people say ‘Plunkbat’, or just ‘Plunk’. It’s a more distinctive word to say over voice chat, and it’s a tidy way to celebrate the absurdity of the real name and have a little fun with the idea of abbreviations altogether. It’s harmless, not intended to be dismissive or belittling of the game, and is by no means the only time RPS has ever had fun with abbreviations for game titles. See also: codblops

• SuicideKing says:

Man you need to recuse yourself from the keyboard XD

also, plunkbat! or plunkpan? panbat. BATPAN!

• hungrycookpot says:

“I don’t even play PUBG in the first place!”

Yet you have strong opinions about trivial meta-jokes regarding it. You’re doing God’s work, son.

10. MOOncalF says:

I guess this is OK, but I also hope that spawned clothing items make it back in some day in a form that does not cause aforementioned I’ve-just-landed-and-two-of-us-are-trying-to-grab-the-same-1911-and-striped-shirt-combo.

11. Templar says:

Any inkling I had to ever even consider plunkbat (zero) is now less seeing the type of pube g community that is roused by not using the actual title (Which just might be the worst title ever).

• Thants says:

Yeah, getting REALLY angry when a site that uses silly nick-names uses a silly nick-name isn’t a good look.

12. LukewarmBong says:

Am I the only one who actually really likes that they got rid of the clothing on the ground? I always found the clothing spawning as a tedious thing that takes away from the gameplay more than it adds to it. Fuckin sucks so much rushing for a gun in the beginning of a match, trying to beat the other guy there, only to actually end up getting there first… and then, frantically, you pick up the shirt instead of the gun… Getting fucked cause of a shirt on the ground. That is some bs. Also, now there’s no need to open the inventory before looting anything that’s under a shirt, which just increases the flow of the game… So yeah, I’m surprised people are actually complaining about it. I can see the lookbox argument but you never got the keep the clothes anyway, so I don’t think it really mattered as far as lootboxes go…

• Massenstein says:

I’ve seen similar sentiments and I can understand that, as it is annoying when loot and clothes are piled atop each other and I accidentally end up picking a giant bright coat.

But I’m still not happy about this update. The loot problem could have been fixed other ways, like having clothing spawn in separate areas from other loot. But that would have meant more work and I guess not enough players really care about the clothing.

• plugmonkey says:

I’ll miss grabbing a coat, but overall I’d say it’s a net gain.

• hungrycookpot says:

If you’re not opening your inv menu to loot stuff, I dunno what you’re doing. I can say I may have been killed due to clothing loot a handful of times in my PUBG playtime, it really isn’t something that keeps me up at night. At the same time, I generally disregard all clothing spawns and don’t use them, but I appreciated the option. Gave things some flavour, and I wouldn’t have voted to remove them, but it’s not going to be a big loss to me. I just can’t help but feel that whining in the community is having too much influence on the development road-map.

13. Viral Frog says:

Uh, am I going to be the only commenter who’s grateful that they’ve finally removed all the shit clothing drops? Because, let’s face it, the clothes in this game are almost as terrible as the emotes they’ve added.

14. CMaster says:

“Leather dusters never went out of style, but now you’re going to have to either win them in post-match loot boxes or pay top dollar to snag them from another player.”

I’m sorry, but you’re wrong here Dom. There’s still a way to improve your look ingame – find somebody with attire you like, follow them, and kill them. Then proudly parade around in your new bloodstained getup.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Yes, but that hinges on me actually being able to identify a more experienced player wearing expensive/rare clothing, and then successfully do a murder on them.

Realistically speaking, that’s probably not going to happen, hence why I didn’t include it.

In all seriousness though, good point and more power to anyone who uses this new-found disparity in order to clad themselves in the styles of their victims.

• plugmonkey says:

You don’t need to be good when there are bathrooms to hide in.

• CMaster says:

Git gud

I dunno, you’ve always got a chance. Most people are looking for predictable behaviour trying to win, not a crazed stalker after their trousers. Maybe this is your secret to victory.

15. Mattsetback says:

I have very much enjoyed these comments. New RPS commentators: welcome!, and please get some perspective for god’s sake.

16. Dankanator says:

• Mattsetback says:

Bye!

• prellwurst says:

“even” and “company” should be in caps and with spaces in between

• Beefenstein says:

You seem irrationally angry and also bizarrely repetitive. Please don’t hurt yourself or others.

• caff says:

Actually, you’re wrong. It’s Plunkbat and always will be.

I even named my new cat Plunkbat in honour of this buggy, laggy mess of a game.

Lo says:

Dominic’s writing is so fun and good :D

18. Da5e says:

Jesus, 60% of the commentators on this would have shat themselves at the average issue of Amiga Power.

Why would anyone ever take genuine, personal offense at a funny nickname for a computer game they quite like?!

19. SaintAn says:

Welp, I’m going to start using the term Plunkbat because of just how angry it is making these non-RPS commenters.

• morse says:

I went from being mildly amused (reading plunkbat for the first time in an article), to very amused (watching plunknown’s response video), to grinning widely (reading the comments). Truly a gift that keeps giving.

• Nolenthar says:

You beat me to it. I was kinda using Plunkbat because, let’s say it, it’s a lot better than the alternative, but seeing how all the kids react, I now know I’ll solely use Plunkbat, anywhere and everywhere this game is mentioned.
      And because anyone naming a game Players Unknown Battlegrounds should really not be in any position to claim he knows better.
      Plunkbat made by Plunkcorp,

• SuicideKing says:

Haha same. It’s hilarious to watch :D

20. cpt_freakout says:

PLUNKBAT

21. Flavour Beans says:

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. While on the one hand, I’m sure everyone has their stories about accidentally picking up a pair of jeans instead of a shotgun with an enemy coming down the hall after you. On the other hand, my default character model looks like a mundane office worker, and there’s a lot of clothing items that I grab at first sight and let my character evolve into some extra out of The Warriors.

22. garsidetogo says:

The real question is: What horrid site has convinced their userbase to brigade an RPS article about Plunkbat?

• Koozer says:

I think it may be the curse of showing up in the Steam news feed. It’s just incredibly angry moths to a flame.

What gets me is how incredibly seriously people take the name of their favourite game. It makes no sense! I’m struggling to think of any other topic in life that draws such strange overreaction to a name.

23. SqueekyMcClean says:

God damn this upset fanboy craze is delicious. Also, a fairly important note is that this patch finally seems to have done some decent optimization (at least on my end). So far I’ve always installed, tried a game with around 20fps and uninstalled. This time I’m running around 50ish most of the time.

Score so far – 5/7 not enough bats plunked.

24. Plunkbat Oranges says:

One in the Plunk is worth two in the Bat.