Make townsfolk finish their whisky or beer in Oi, Innkeep!

ss_e1026c470a17da8d7f4bcceb3ccb99a6471d532c.1920x1080

If you’re like me, you enjoyed Stardew Valley but wished that it could have focused more on terrible drunken shenanigans, the cleaning of vomit from revelers, and generally keeping this party going. Wait, you didn’t wish that Stardew was more of a fraternity simulator? I’m alone on this? That’s fine. I know who I am.

I’ve got Oi, Innkeep! to help me live out my fantasy of becoming a Medieval Tom Cruise character. Let’s get our mead on.

In this new indie title from first-timers Bad Bandit Games, you’re the owner of an old, rundown magical tavern and it’s up to you to clean the place up. Although cleaning it up is sort of relative for a house of sin and violent delights. Along the way, a magical painting guides your journey, as you befriend costumers and mix farming, cooking, decorating, and event planning in an effort to kickstart a thriving business.

Along the way, you’ll dabble in the invention of new menu items as you grow new ingredients, expand into property management and rentals, and adjust to the fluctuating needs and options for your inn as the seasons change. This first person hospitality simulator also looks cute as can be, especially when you’re handling drunken customers. You need to be prepared to let your patrons fight to the death or distract them — mayhaps with dancing or clever dialogue?

Any game that gives me the option between dancing and death is inherently a good game. This drunken diplomacy sim is calling to me.

There is no release date set yet for the game aside from a general 2018, but I promise to keep you updated so we can all do Semisonic references at adventurers together.

Check out the trailer here:

I am especially keen on this segment. I love watching these characters eat. Is that weird? That’s probably weird. But c’mon, this is adorable. It’s even adorable vomit. (Okay, I did hear it that time. That’s absolutely weird and I should not have shared.)

You can wishlist the game on Steam now.

(Also, if you’re looking for a booze based adventure, I feel like no one gave enough attention to Wasted from Adult Swim Games back in 2016. That’s up on Steam if you want to give it a spin.)

1. Sin Vega says:

I understood that reference!

2. TheDandyGiraffe says:

The premise is solid and I really like the “goofy medieval people” vibe, but for God’s sake, what’s with the first person perspective? I know there’s an abundance of pseudo-sims and mining/crafting games in first person, it’s become clearly fashionable in the last few years, but a) it seems completely unnecessary from the gameplay perspective here, b) it makes the game look like some generic Steam crap. I mean, clearly they don’t have lots of money in the graphics department – and it’s fine, really (I even kinda like the artistic direction and many people interested in indie gaming don’t care that much about the objective “quality” of the visuals), but then why force the people to see everything up close, with the low-res and jagged edges and the almost complete lack of facial expressions?

• Bad_Bandit_Games says:

TheDandyGiraffe, we went with first person for this because we generally like that camera more as it felt more immersive.

For jaggies, we’ll try and include some Anti-Aliasing options on release. To be honest, we haven’t done a whole lot of polish to the art just yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

• jontaro says:

I prefer more immersive first person, to being a disembodied booze god that hovers over roofless tavern issuing commandments in booming but inebriated voice “thou shalt bringeth moreth beerth to tableth threeth!”.

3. happyhappyjoy2 says:

Ugh the problem with fraternities is they’re like all predominantly male

4. LASture says:

As a work in progress, my friends all think it looks pretty interesting. The art style is fun, the premise is silly. I feel like the strong point to a game like this is to not skimp on recipes and to have architectural customization options available (color / texture / object placement, etc).

It may be out of scope for initial release, but something I’d definitely pay for is a Fantasy setting add-on. Customers of different fantasy races would have different tastes, adventurers and merchants might have trinkets and materials to trade (additional decorations, fabrics, paints, etc).

The concept of the game is great, I’d just push it further and really make it something head-turning.

• Bad_Bandit_Games says:

Glad you like it.

There are going to be as many recipes as we can make. Hopefully a lot!

There’s already a lot of different structural tweaks you can make. Different wall decor, different furniture such as tables, chairs, fireplaces, rugs, etc. Different wallpapers, different floor types. And yeah, you choose where everything goes. It isn’t predetermined.

As for the fantasy races, initially we planned to have dwarves, but we put them aside for now because we would have needed to have all new character rigs and animations and we didn’t want to focus on that just yet. We might be able to do different races that are still close to the same size as the humans, such as orcs or something.

It isn’t something that is in the trailer, but NPCs all have set professions. There will be generic ones, like miners, city guards, stone-masons, etc. They’ll look a bit different, have different dialogue and character traits to define them.

But then there’s our unique NPCs that actually give you new stuff. Like, if you want to buy paintings to put up on walls, you’ll have to meet and befriend Pierre the Painter. The more of his requests you fulfill and the better you become friends with him the more higher level paintings he will unlock for you to buy.

This goes for a lot of things in the game. New wall mounts come from the royal huntsman/monster hunter, new furniture from the carpenter, new sword decorations from the blacksmith, etc.

5. Nosebeggar says:

I’ve been telling my friends for years now that this is my dream game. I hope the bar customization is up to me. Easily my most anticipated game 2018 now.

• Bad_Bandit_Games says:

For the bar in particular, we will probably have different looking bars. Probably going to have it so you have different stations for different things. Like, you might have separate juice bar.

With the bars, you’ll be able to place them wherever you want.

You’ll be able to customize heaps of other stuff as well such as wall decorations, fireplaces, wallpapers, furniture and just the overall look of the place.

Comment on this story